Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997TT - How many people on the "LIST"

Just curious how many of us are on a waiting list and where are you on that list?. I initially placed my name on a list at my nearest dealer about 4 months ago that had about 50 deposits at that time. I think I was around #22 on the coupe list, the rest were cabs. Recently a new dealership opened up about 3 miles from home, so I immediately placed a second deposit there where I'm first on the coupe list and there were already 2 guys on the cab list. I'm glad I jumped on another list, It seems like it could take forever to allocate 50 cars before my turn. I wonder how many allocations each dealer gets?

Also, I think RC had said that pre-sales were strong. Maybe he could share some numbers as to how many presales there are to date....

Re: 997TT - How many people on the "LIST"

#2 on the list for a cab here

#3 on the TCab and TSCab "list," quotation marks used, because I believe the meaning of "list" varies from dealer-to-dealer, to some it's like the Ten Commandments, to others it's more informal-I have the option of taking a non-"S" or waiting for the "S" if I think the non-"S" is underpowered.

I just put my name on the list in cincinnati, ohio last week for a coupe. I'm third for either version. I'm not sure I'm going to take one...depends on performance, looks, and price in that order.

I'm afraid I have to rely on dealer statements and talks with potential buyers and/or people who already ordered the car. I have no precise numbers but it seems the 997 Turbo will be sold out in the first model year before even production started. But of course this is only speculation, nothing based on REAL numbers. So if somebody plans to speculate with some 997 Turbo orders, I wouldn't recommend it. It may work, it may not.

But the "funniest" thing is actually: the final specs aren't even out yet. Imagine what happens when the press release is out and people get what they expected (or better). The "lists" will get even longer...

#1/#2 on the list, depends if the owner of the dealership buys one.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I'm afraid I have to rely on dealer statements and talks with potential buyers and/or people who already ordered the car. I have no precise numbers but it seems the 997 Turbo will be sold out in the first model year before even production started. But of course this is only speculation, nothing based on REAL numbers. So if somebody plans to speculate with some 997 Turbo orders, I wouldn't recommend it. It may work, it may not.

But the "funniest" thing is actually: the final specs aren't even out yet. Imagine what happens when the press release is out and people get what they expected (or better). The "lists" will get even longer...

Personally, I would not even dream of placing a deposit on a new car without knowing what will be delivered in the end.

Same thing as with the Carrera GT: Porsche asked for a 50.000 Euro deposit at a time when no final specs (hp, weight, etc.) where available to potential customers. My dealer more or less excused himself for the information policiy of Porsche at this time.

That was the point where I decided to cancel my GT order - and I am happy I did it. Why? Look at the test results of the Carrera GT. Based on my personal opinion, Porsche did NOT deliver in case of the Carrera GT (in particular regarding straight line acceleration). I hope they will deliver in case of the 997TTS. If so, I will order one. If not I will have to think about other options.

In my case, the Porsche strategy to treat every piece of information regarding the 997TT top secret does not work. I do not have enough trust in any OEM to base my car orders on speculation.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Personally, I would not even dream of placing a deposit on a new car without knowing what will be delivered in the end.

Same thing as with the Carrera GT: Porsche asked for a 50.000 Euro deposit at a time when no final specs (hp, weight, etc.) where available to potential customers. My dealer more or less excused himself for the information policiy of Porsche at this time.

That was the point where I decided to cancel my GT order - and I am happy I did it. Why? Look at the test results of the Carrera GT. Based on my personal opinion, Porsche did NOT deliver in case of the Carrera GT (in particular regarding straight line acceleration). I hope they will deliver in case of the 997TTS. If so, I will order one. If not I will have to think about other options.

In my case, the Porsche strategy to treat every piece of information regarding the 997TT top secret does not work. I do not have enough trust in any OEM to base my car orders on speculation.

In my case, my deposit can be rolled over to other cars in the future from that dealer (I purchase other cars from them, including Audi's), if I decided against a 997TT (HIGHLY UNLIKELY in my case ). But I understand your position. Also, my deposit is only $1,500 USD.

Quote:
    RC said:

RC, here is what will happen to me if the 997TT is even better than expected:

Most dealers will refund your deposit. It's not as if they'll be "stuck" with an unsold car, they'll just go to the next name on a long list.

Putting a deposit on a car before final specs are out is fairly risk-less, and wise if you want one early, assuming it winds up being what you want.

My opinion guys why does it matter if we are #1 or #2 on the list. I don't know about other states but in Southern CA, there will be so many of everything and if you wait 4-6 months after the car is introduced to the market you will find a few with 2000+/- on them. Those are the cars that the rich guys buy for a couple short trips on the beach and then sell them. I have to see the car drive it and get a feel for it. 69bossnine is right your deposit is refundable specially on those cars people will beg to own it!

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    69bossnine is right your deposit is refundable specially on those cars people will beg to own it!

Unless the color is PINK or Green

I'm number 1 or 2 on the list out here for the S Cab. Ive been on it for a year and a half because for a refundable $1000 deposit why not? I plan to put a deposit on a 998 TTS Cab as soon as I get the 997

I'm number 999999. I can't afford one

Quote:
    bstew said:
    I'm number 999999. I can't afford one

and I'm right behind you

Maximizing profits is so deeply ingrained in Porsche, you can rest assured they will make a zillion of them so long as there are buyers. The #50 on a list probably will have his/her within a year of introduction. I wonder what will happen to the 997/997S.

Of course, with mass production comes huge depreciation. Same old; same old.

nberry the depreciation on a Porsche is high right now , but the Ferrari phenomenon of low depreciation only seems to be with cars that have low miles ..... for people who like to rack up the miles year after year the Ferrari may be a tough sell compared to low milage ones . And the 3- 4 year wait is no fun with the Porsche you have next to no trouble getting the car .

If you want passion, excitability and sensory overload, get on a list for 3 or 4 years and wait to drive a Ferrari 430 spider , or spend half as much and be driving a Porsche today .

I am just mad becuase I am not on the list

I'm too excitable now. I'll stick with Porsche.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Maximizing profits is so deeply ingrained in Porsche, you can rest assured they will make a zillion of them so long as there are buyers. The #50 on a list probably will have his/her within a year of introduction. I wonder what will happen to the 997/997S.

Of course, with mass production comes huge depreciation. Same old; same old.

Nick,

We don't want more threads on P versus F depreciation rates, we want more pics of your Spider. Good to see it made it into your avatar.

Your obsession with depreciation worries me you might own your Spider for less time than you spent waiting for it. Enjoy your San Diego winter, and rack up the miles. After all, this forum should be for people who like to drive their cars, and drive 'em hard.

Quote:
    Mose said:
    I'm number 1 or 2 on the list out here for the S Cab.

Mose, who is your dealer? Who is the best dealer in SD?

My dealer is Pioneer Porsche out in Mira Mesa. Its a great dealership, just remodeled. The other dealership is up in Del Mar, an extra half hour away and did not impress me at all. The customer reps didn't seem very personal, just interested in profit and selling cars.

#5 on the list. I likely will not get it as my 997S already has much more performance and handling than my skill level.....

#1 on List in Bellevue

I am number one on the list in Seattle (Bellevue) I am worried about the trade in value of my CarrersS and the investment i Made in TechArt. My hope is that at least my TechArt Formulas will fit and will have the same offset as the current 997s

I'm not sure if I can wait.

I'm not sure if I can wait a year for a car - especially for $150k or more. There's gotta be something else I can do.

Re: I'm not sure if I can wait.

I do not think it will be a year .

Quote:
    RC said:

Very well put, RC.

If I don't like the specs, however, I will gladly forgo my spot and make the list shorter.

Re: I'm not sure if I can wait.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    I do not think it will be a year .

Right, for most people it will be longer.
    I assume only a couple of hundreds of cars will be available 2006 until the production really gets going.

Quote:
    AndrewSS said:
    I just put my name on the list in cincinnati, ohio last week for a coupe. I'm third for either version. I'm not sure I'm going to take one...depends on performance, looks, and price in that order.

Just #3 last week? I was #14 about 9 months ago here in SoCal.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    AndrewSS said:

Just #3 last week? I was #14 about 9 months ago here in SoCal.

I mean, I'm so far down the list, nberry is ahead of me.

Was production ever restricted on the 996 Turbo? If not, I can't see anyone ever waiting for a long time to get a new 997 Turbo, no matter where they are on the list (in contrast to the lovely F430's list).

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777746 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261086 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880766 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816240 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM