Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Argh....What is PSE??????????????????

I've looked everywhere.
    Is PSE Porsche Sports Exhaust???

Re: Argh....What is PSE??????????????????

Yes. PSE = Porsche Sports Exhaust.

Quote:
    nattybumpo said:
    I've looked everywhere.
    Is PSE Porsche Sports Exhaust???

I feel your pain

Or is it:

PSE = Porsche Sound Excitement?

Or:

PSE = Pretty Sick Exhaust

Or: Profoundly Stupendous Exhaust!

Pretty Sweet Exhaust

A regular bunch of Rodney Dangerfields!!!
    My understanding that the only thing that PSE gives you is the chrome plating? Is there anything else that's juicy about it?

And I can't find the MSRP for PSE on the Porsche site, would some kind soul let me know how much it is in the US?
    Thanks

PSE actually gives you a more aggressive/throaty exhaust note (I think it is louder too?) over a certain rpm (3k?) but it can be configured so it is on full time - the sport (chrome) tip is different and yes, it is the same exhaust but just chrome finished. Hope that helps

Quote:
    nattybumpo said:
    And I can't find the MSRP for PSE on the Porsche site, would some kind soul let me know how much it is in the US?
    Thanks

When I spec'd my '06 it was a $2400 option

Quote:
    nattybumpo said:
    A regular bunch of Rodney Dangerfields!!!
    My understanding that the only thing that PSE gives you is the chrome plating? Is there anything else that's juicy about it?

Read this:
    Sports exhaust system

You know how sometimes you see some old Dodge Neon with big garish exhaust pipes that sound like a big mess of pots and pans...... I've always thought that's ostentatious. Aren't we talking about the same thing with PSE....you know: Big Hat, No Cattle.....?

I had a 997S pass in front of me last night while I was walking to my car, it had the PSE. Boy did it sound alot different than my C2. Had a distinct rumble when he rolled by me (we were in a mall parking lot), and then he got on it a bit as he turned onto the main street

Beautiful sound, but not too loud. No sign of anything 'ricey' either.

That little encounter I had last night pretty much sealed my decision to add PSE as soon as I can afford to buy it.

Is PSE essential on a P car? I had a C2 with no PSE and I thought it sounded lovely at any rev.

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:
    Is PSE essential on a P car? I had a C2 with no PSE and I thought it sounded lovely at any rev.

well, pretty much everyone here who either:
    a) has pse on their car or
    b) ridden in/seen a car that does
    and they all love it

Do I have to have PSE? Well........

......... YES!!!

Lol, of course not. But I've loved cars all my life, specifically racing cars. Being a former shift karter, hearing that throaty exhaust just pulls at my heartsrings. So for me, PSE is a must. Cost was the only reason I don't have it on my car already.

That said, my 997C2's stock exhaust does sound wonderful. But as with most of the P-car option list, I wish PSE with on/off button was a standard item

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:
    Is PSE essential on a P car?

Not at all!!... so long as you don't hear one ... if you do make the mistake of hearing the sound the PSE makes as it revs, then, then it becomes essential

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:

yes, yes it is.

For the guys in South Orange Counter Hergschimer in lake Forest will take your stock mufflers off the car and re-work them for a reasonable price and the car sounds deeper and sportier. Keep in mind Porsche has no claim for the PSE performance, it's just sound and nothing else.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    For the guys in South Orange Counter Hergschimer in lake Forest will take your stock mufflers off the car and re-work them for a reasonable price and the car sounds deeper and sportier. Keep in mind Porsche has no claim for the PSE performance, it's just sound and nothing else.

Oh? Did they happen to mention how much this little procedure would cost?

Me curious

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:

Not at all!!... so long as you don't hear one ... if you do make the mistake of hearing the sound the PSE makes as it revs, then, then it becomes essential

I don't think I have ever heard a PSE equipped Porsche in my area. Also I find that most of the Porsches in the UK have no PSE (according to Porsche Approved Used). I admit the C2 stock exhaust is nice but how does PSE compare? Is it more GT3 like? Is is louder? More bass-ish? More rumble? etc. Will it get annoying after a while at motorway speeds?

That's what's nice about PSE with on/off button. You have a choice of when you want to hear it.

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:
    I don't think I have ever heard a PSE equipped Porsche in my area. Also I find that most of the Porsches in the UK have no PSE (according to Porsche Approved Used). I admit the C2 stock exhaust is nice but how does PSE compare? Is it more GT3 like? Is is louder? More bass-ish? More rumble? etc. Will it get annoying after a while at motorway speeds?

This is still with the cut off activated between 45-80km/h with is were the PSE really growls but you can get an idea

Use right-click and "save as...":

997S Porsche Sport Exhaust

Quote:
    edz61 said:

The Porsche PSE is the Stradivarius of the exhausts for the 911's N/A Flat-6... you can try to imitate it, but its not the same. Changing the exhust sound of the stock exhaust is easy derestricting it making it deeper and louder, but I haven't heard any exhaust that sounds like the PSE on the 996 or on the 997 yet.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:

This is still with the cut off activated between 45-80km/h with is were the PSE really growls but you can get an idea

Use right-click and "save as...":

997S Porsche Sport Exhaust

Great sound clips!!! And so thorough in recording various scenarios! Thanks

Quote:
    nattybumpo said:
    You know how sometimes you see some old Dodge Neon with big garish exhaust pipes that sound like a big mess of pots and pans...... I've always thought that's ostentatious. Aren't we talking about the same thing with PSE....you know: Big Hat, No Cattle.....?

Let's see--fart can on a Neon vs. 997 with PSE? Definitely not the same thing. I would argue the PSE should be standard--Porsches have been way too quiet in stock form since the 996. I understand European noise level controls and all, but the PSE is compliant, so by definition the stock set up is more quiet than it needs to be.

And PSE is no fart can muffler--I don't like those either. PSE is "pretty sweet exhaust", I agree.

Thanks for link Carlos!

Carlos, many thanks for the soundfile.
    Now I know how my car sounds from the outside
    brgds, Tom

My pleasure guys, you are welcome

I'm trying to make a video which will capture the sound better and without the cut-off, but I can't find the time yet...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782306 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442955 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263533 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261996 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86054 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6044 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881742 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820046 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM