Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How much HP does a Tip succk up? No more BS'ing

Funny, we all think we know it all, huh? So I'm talking to this guy about Tiptronics and a 997S. Of course everybody knows they use up valuable hp, right? (an aside: does 997s with tip equal 997 with manual?) Then he asks me , "how much HP exactly?" I was amused that I didn't even know. Sometimes I (we all?) just basically repeat sheet that I (we) hear and don't realize it!!

So..., guys..., how many HP ARE used up by the slush bucket on the 997S? What's a good way to compare performance with expert drivers using a manual vs. Tip?

Re: How much HP does a Tip succk up? No more BS'ing

All transmission devices have hp losses. The manual gearbox and assorted devices that get the power from the crank to the tires loses around 15% of the power. Tip uses even more, but it also has one fewer gear ratio, so it suffers from more widely spaced ratios as well - a double penalty...

Hey just get the manual and be done with it. Seriously this is a good question.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Seriously this is a good question.

I think so too. I mean if I saw an actual review comparing both manual and Tip in favorable terms maybe I would have thought about a Tip more seriously. I have SMG on my M3 and loooove it, no HP loss and incredibly fast precise efficient shifts are a blast. When DSG comes out on Carreras THAT will be a huge buzzzzzz.

got SMG on my other car (330Ci). i think it sucks (at least the 1st gen SMGs). very jerky in low rpm gear shifts (it's nice once past 3500rpm, but how the heck does one to do that in traffic??). on auto-mode (which my wife keeps it), computer upshifts wayyyy too early, lugging the engine around . sometimes when driving up inclines, car comes to a crawl b/f computer decides to downshift. when this happens, you get a moment where car feels like it's rolling backwards (downhill). also had transmission failure 3 times so far!! 1st gen SMG is a total POS IMO (Ferrari F1 which i tried in F612 Scagletti as well as Maserati Quattro were MUCH better - in both low & high rpms).

friends who hv test driven VW golf w/DSG says it's REALLY good - smooth & responsive. unfortunately, this is not going be something aval. to Porsches for at least another 2 yrs (according to a PAG guy i spoke with during the C4/C4S launch).

SMG worries me. Added components, sensors, etc. etc. blah blah. If I want to change the rear diffs in my M3, I have to worry about SMG warnings due to rev changes. Then in the future, I have an additional hydrolic pump (SMG) to worry about.

Get a MT, be simple, be happy.

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    SMG worries me. Added components, sensors, etc. etc. blah blah. If I want to change the rear diffs in my M3, I have to worry about SMG warnings due to rev changes. Then in the future, I have an additional hydrolic pump (SMG) to worry about.

Get a MT, be simple, be happy.

When you get to be a 42 year old fart like me you don't want to be rowing thru the gears all the time. So I like it in my M3. Gives it a "luxury" which is much appreciated when you're tired and just want to get home. Is it a compromise? I don't think so because when you want to beat the cr*p out of the car the car it's the perfect device to do so. "Connected to the car?" yeah, I feel connected, it's whatever you have to do to stay in control and get "max" performance.

You're right though, repair$ to the hydraulic$ and actuator$ and linkage$ are probebly going to be a nightmare.

Oh, AS, I think I have upgraded SMG (04M3), it's "jerky" if you don't anticipate what it's going to do and add teeny tiny gas pedal inputs or downshifts now and then to counteract jerkiness. Otherwise it is quite smooth.

That's my additional us$.02

Quote:
    MMD said:
    When you get to be a 42 year old fart like me

Damn you're old!

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    When you get to be a 42 year old fart like me

Damn you're old!

LOL. My colleague turned 50 and showed us his AARP brochures which arrived unsolicited in the mail. NOW THAT'S OLD!!

C'mon MMD, suck it up, you're not supposed to react to getting old by bending over and accommodating it! It's like when you start to outgrow the waistband of your jeans, do you don't go out and buy a pair of flexible-waist old-fart golfing slacks??... NO... You lace up your running shoes, get off your arse, and cover enough ground over the next month or two to lose the gut!!!

The moment you allow yourself to succumb to such thinking, well, that's the day YOU ARE OLD, at least in your head.

Someday, eventually, I'm sure that rowing a stick in traffic will be a problem for me, an actual PHYSICAL problem that I can't mend with exercise. At that point, I'll give up my beloved stick-shifts, and do what I've gotta do. But I just can't imagine moving to an automatic sports car purely due to, "ohhh, shifting....it's so tiring...." in my flippin' 40's..

A tiptronic....because 42 is old?....puhleez.....;)

I would think that getting in and out of a 911 is far more work than shifting it. May I suggest a Chrysler mini van, with power side access door for your walker??

(As always, my barbs are meant in pure jest... )

the fact is that for all the macho BS talked by those who love manual 'boxes, the average driver with a tiptronic will always beat the average driver with a manual, regardless of the hp loss through the torque converter.

As it happens, as someone stated earlier, there is always a power loss between the engine and the road and if you have a lock-up on the torque converter you minimise that loss once the gear is engaged.

Fact is to achieve a 0-100km time of 4.8secs which Porsche claims for the 997 CS, you have to be (a) a pretty good driver and (b) prepared to fry your clutch. To achieve the 5.1secs Porsche claims for the tip you simply have to floor the throttle. I had a highly unscientific race in my 997 C2S tip with a guy in a manual 996 turbo along a stretch of road he and I both know well and we were neck and neck. Admittedly he's not the world's greatest driver but he should have had a significant advantage over me if you look at the numbers.

At the end of the day its personal choice, for me I get 90% of the advantages of a manual on a country road but with the added benefit of being able to potter around in the horrendous Central London traffic on my way to and from work.

I agree with you...up to a certain point. What about acceleration from let's say 80 kp to 200 kph (125 mph)?
    Or at higher speed ranges? The manual beats the Tiptronic by a few seconds, which means a lot.

The Tiptronic is just an ordinary automatic transmission, even if it is called the way it is called. My wife's Boxster S has a Tiptronic and in conjunction with the chrono sport package, acceleration from standstill is impressive. But at higher speeds, the Tiptronic takes away a lot of that "punch" you get with the manual. Just an example.

Driving a lot around downtown? Go for Tiptronic. Otherwise, I would stick with manual. But this is just my personal opinion.

For what it's worth guys, you want stick get stick and you want automatic then get the automatic. SMG and Toptronic and even paddle shift, why bother guys. Sports cars should have stick shift, I am sorry. If you feel too old to drive with 6 speed then you might as well feel too old to drive a sports car. Enthusiasim out weighs everything including age.

42 years old?! I resemble that remark

I've spent the last 5+ years relegated to driving automatics (not by choice!), and I couldn't wait to get back into a manual shift car. I did have some thoughts about if I'd gotten "too old" for manuals, but the purist inside wouldn't allow me to even think about buying a P-car in anything else but manual shift.

Now that it's here, I'm oh so glad that I made the right choice

I hope I'm able to drive by clutch until I die

Quote:
    MHakkinen said:
    but the purist inside wouldn't allow me to even think about buying a P-car in anything else but manual shift.

Now that it's here, I'm oh so glad that I made the right choice

I hope I'm able to drive by clutch until I die

Aw yeah, Agree 1000%. Gotta have manual in the 911, so into driving when driving it gives you something to do. Luckily I only drive it when I feel like driving.

Thanks to RC and Bossnine69 since The "truth" is such a comfort to hear. Everybody always dismissed the Tip when I was shopping for Porsches. Nobody ever emphasized that the Tip is FASTER than the manual (with the average driver; care to define "average?"). The facts would indicate the tip is less abusive to the drive train too! WOW. If I heard all this stuff a little more definitively it would have made the decision (tip vs. manual) harder and more fun.

Just think of the hapless victims of us guys reciting stuff like "tip succks too much HP" and guys hearing it believing it too.

Quote:
    the fact is that for all the macho BS talked by those who love manual 'boxes, the average driver with a tiptronic will always beat the average driver with a manual, regardless of the hp loss through the torque converter.

Nonsense. I would not term a manual driver who fails to better an automatic in a race "average", I would call him inept and rather hopeless, or in need of some basic instruction.

A good stock vs. stock example is back when I bought my new 1993 Corvette 6-spd manual. I can't remember Don's last name (been awhile), but Don had a virtually identical '93 Corvette, but it was an automatic. Don worked for a Chevy dealership, and raced a new Corvette every year. He won the southeastern U.S. NHRA Sportsman points championship in 1993 driving his '93 Corvette. Needless to say, he knew what he was doing on the track. I was just a weekend warrior, that would race on points nights from time to time. Depending on weather, Don's dial-in index was always 13.65 - 13.75, somewhere in that range. He was deadly, practically nailing his index with every run, hence his winning the championship for the S.E.. My dial-in index with my 6-speed was 13.29-13.39, depending on weather, and my trap speeds were always, ALWAYS, about 4-5 mph faster than Don's automatic. He would cross the line 102-103 mph, I was always 105-108.

Just a single example, I know...But, I feel it's a very apples to apples example worthy of note. Every so often we'd get another current-year 'Vette out there racing with us, with a 6-speed, that couldn't manage to even break into the 13's. But we all got a good chuckle out of it, as it was always painfully obvious that the driver was a horrific driver. Not what I'd call "average", unless "average" means that you really really can't drive a stick shift fast to save your life.

Quote:
    As it happens, as someone stated earlier, there is always a power loss between the engine and the road and if you have a lock-up on the torque converter you minimise that loss once the gear is engaged.

I believe that you do not understand where exactly the power is "lost" with a traditional fluid-powered torque-converter automatic. It's not all due to the rate of lock-up, it's the fact that it takes x-amount of horsepower JUST TO RUN the torque converter in full lockup. Even with the torque-converter fully engaged/locked, an automatic transmission is less efficient in getting power to the tail-shaft, than a manual. It's because of all the work involved in pumping and pressurizing all of that ATF through the converter and all the myriads of other journals. Although advancements in fluid dynamics have been made with certain trannies in this regard, it's always a factor nonetheless. Keep in mind that all the magazines achieve better times with manuals than with tiptronics, and the magazines do NOT speed shift, such that all cars are driven and tested in a manner that can be duplicated for all cars, to create real-world comparisons. Once I believe Car & Driver defined that "we drive the cars in such a manner that could reasonably be duplicated by any driver." If you think it takes somebody unusually gifted to drive a manual faster than an auto, then suffice it to say you must also fall in that "not terribly gifted" category...

Quote:
    Fact is to achieve a 0-100km time of 4.8secs which Porsche claims for the 997 CS, you have to be (a) a pretty good driver and (b) prepared to fry your clutch.

Fry a clutch??? I've yet to hear of one, and the test cars the magazines get are subjected to dozens and dozens and dozens of mid-to-high rpm launches. Only if you're stupidly feathering the daylights out of the clutch at launch, will you start to burn her up. I raced my Corvette competitively usually one night per month, for 3 years or so, on a sticky NHRA track. With a few mods in '94, it was a low-13/high-12 second car. I sold it with 60,000 miles on the odo, ORIGINAL CLUTCH STILL IN SERVICE, which still gripped wonderfully. No need to burn a clutch to drive a stick fast.

Sorry about my long and rather ranting post, I'm frustrated when overtly bad and hapless stick-shift drivers are used as examples of "average" drivers when comparing the benefits of transmissions. Is the "average" driver really that clueless and uncoordinated and torturous of equipment???

I'm fine with anybody who just flat prefers the auto. No problem. I was just giving MMD a hard time, as he's been a manual guy thusfar, and "the dark side of the force" may be starting to sink it's claws into him!! LOL!!!!

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    C'mon MMD, suck it up, you're not supposed to react to getting old by bending over and accommodating it! It's like when you start to outgrow the waistband of your jeans, do you don't go out and buy a pair of flexible-waist old-fart golfing slacks??... NO... You lace up your running shoes, get off your arse, and cover enough ground over the next month or two to lose the gut!!!

The moment you allow yourself to succumb to such thinking, well, that's the day YOU ARE OLD, at least in your head.

Someday, eventually, I'm sure that rowing a stick in traffic will be a problem for me, an actual PHYSICAL problem that I can't mend with exercise. At that point, I'll give up my beloved stick-shifts, and do what I've gotta do. But I just can't imagine moving to an automatic sports car purely due to, "ohhh, shifting....it's so tiring...." in my flippin' 40's..

A tiptronic....because 42 is old?....puhleez.....;)

I would think that getting in and out of a 911 is far more work than shifting it. May I suggest a Chrysler mini van, with power side access door for your walker??

(As always, my barbs are meant in pure jest... )

ROTFLMAO. hehehe. Didn't see this until just now. Thanks for the pep talk. You're oneof those funny charming guys who make alot of sense. I feel much better. haha.

Do I feel old? Nah. I was just using that excuse to disarm the younger guys who insist a manual is the only way to go. (God bless 'em).

Manual is the only way to go.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777446 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441785 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262808 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261011 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85271 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5592 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880692 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816071 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM