Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Would you buy this?

The Car Connection (c)

Quote:

Jeep Prices Porsche-Slaying SRT8 Grand Cherokee

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 will cost about half as much as the Porsche Cayenne Turbo it beats in a 0-60 run, the Chrysler Group said in a release on Thursday. The new HEMI-powered SUV will sport a base price tag of $39,995 when it goes on sale in January. The SRT8 version of Jeep's perennially popular sport-ute will outpace the Porsche Cayenne Turbo and BMW X5, Jeep promises. Outfitted with the 420-hp, 6.1-liter HEMI V-8, the SRT8 will gun to 60 mph in less than five seconds, making it the second-fastest Chrysler Group vehicle after the Dodge Viper. Along with an upgraded four-wheel-drive system and the HEMI engine, the SRT8 gets stability control recalibrated specifically for this application, Brembo brakes, a more refined interior and options like DVD navigation and Sirius satellite radio.

Re: Would you buy this?

I'd never even think of buying it. Straight line performance is a very small part of performance. its the corners that get me excited and I wouldn't doubt that that would roll over better than a dog when compared with the CT on a track.

I agree with you. How dare they compare it to CT .

I've had a lot of Jeeps in the past and they weren't designed for high speed handling. I would never track one. I doubt if this one will be much better, but Chrysler has been incorporating some Mercedes parts in its US vehicles so the SRT will probably be better than past Jeeps.

This looks like a panzer!!!!

I've only driven the Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine here in the UK but I was more impressed than I expected to be with it's handling abilities around corners. The interior quality however was downright disgraceful with very cheap plastics and truly awful seats, the rear bench looked especially bad. No doubt it provides a lot of bang for the buck in the US but the range isn't competitively priced over here so it doesn't even offer good value to make up for it's dynamic and quality shortcomings.

I've owned 4 different SUVs, all in the middle to steep (CTT, of course) price range. I believe the axiom "you don't always get what you pay for, but you almost always pay for what you get" is likely to apply here. While one could argue that we all overpaid for our Porsches, unless I'm wrong about there being no Santa Claus, the idea that a $40k vehicle offered by Jeep will be truly competitive in anything more than a few narrow parameters seems highly unlikely.

LOL It's a frickn' Jeep. It will start falling apart in less than 12 months.

Jeep: 420 hp. 0-60 4,9 sec.
    CT: 450 hp. 0-60 5,2 sec.

I knew the tiptronic is a bad tranny, didn't realize it was this bad tho. I hope the CT S is offered with a manual or at least the DSG.

Quote:
    426h said:
    Jeep: 420 hp. 0-60 4,9 sec.
    CT: 450 hp. 0-60 5,2 sec.

I knew the tiptronic is a bad tranny, didn't realize it was this bad tho. I hope the CT S is offered with a manual or at least the DSG.

I would think the reason the Porsche is slower is because it probably weighs a lot more than the Jeep. Also, normally aspirated engines tend to be slighty faster than a comparable turbo engine.

Phil

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    This looks like a panzer!!!!

and wats wrong with a panzer.lol
    i would love one

Quote:
    ballmon said:

no it won't... it would've rolled over before that!!

Quote:
    AS said:
    Quote:
    ballmon said:

no (sic) it won't... it would've rolled over before that!!

My my the Jeep-bashists are out in strength today!

I've had 3 Jeeps, an ancient (1970) Wagoneer, a '95 Cherokee, and a '99 Grand Cherokee. They were all good, reliable vehicles, and none ever rolled over. If I could have purchased, say, a 2003 Grandokee with variable ride height, probably I wouldn't have bought my C-T.

That said, the C-T is the best (and most-expensive) vehicle I've ever owned. It's great at everything it does, and I love it. The new super-hemi Grandokee may well be quick from zero, but I'll never buy one.

Jeffrey,
    As a former JGC owner, I'd agree with everything you said. On the other hand, if I'd driven the JGC like I do my CTT, rolling and other "big moments" would have been highly likely. On the OTHER, other hand, I worried a lot less about taking the JGC off road, based on price and "repairability." No free lunch in the automotive world.

Quote:
    ballmon said:

This is funny

You can "Brand", "Decorate", "Shellac", "Dress Up", and "Polish" a POS, and bottom line, you still have a POS.

Off road a Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi (not the 6.1hemi SRT-8) Jeep does rather well. But let us face reality. What the Jeep can do off road - so can the Cayenne. But what a Cayenne can do on the road or on a track M.C. Hammer put so eloquently "U Can't Touch This"

Answer to Question: Wouldn't drive it if you gave it to me.

I would buy it, honestly. Why not???

I doubt that I'll ever spend so much money for a SUV anymore. Yes, the Cayenne Turbo is the hell of a SUV and I love driving it. But it is way overpriced, especially with the powerkit and I plan to drive this truck another two to three years and dump it for something much cheaper.

I'm a sportscar type of guy, not a SUV guy. Of course I enjoy driving it, especially with the family and during bad weather. But I'd better save the money for the "real" fun cars.

So if I could get the Jeep SRT8 for the rumored 65000 Euro over here in Germany (yes, this car will be available here but built in Austria, not in the US), I'll get one immediately. Lots of power, lots of interior space, some "exotics" feel (since this is a very "special" car in Germany), a three year warranty (Porsche offers only a two year warranty...well, actually not even a real warranty), all this for over half the money of a Cayenne Turbo.

Don't get me wrong, guys: I like the Cayenne Turbo a lot but the price tag has reached a level where I can't justify it to myself to spend so much money for a family car.

Just my personal opinion.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I would buy it, honestly. Why not???

Don't get me wrong, guys: I like the Cayenne Turbo a lot but the price tag has reached a level where I can't justify it to myself to spend so much money for a family car.

Just my personal opinion.

Please don't get me wrong either, I don't want to sound elitist or pompous. After re-reading my post it sure sounded that way. But I was just reactiing to the "hype" about this car and the "porsche bashing" on the Jeep forums, plus defending my ride!

I think Porsche reacted too by coming out with the Turbo S. They still wanted to hold the claim to "Fastest SUV on the planet" With some very cost effective aftermarket mods I think others with both the S and the Turbo can approach the Turbo S and Porsche's claim to be the "fastest."

BTW, I used to have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition!

no way jose...

Well, I have to modify my earlier comment in this thread since I've now had the opportunity to drive the Jeep SRT8 on the tracks (drag strip, autocross and road course) as part of Chrysler's SRT Experience. You are able to drive all the SRT models (300, Crossfire, Charger, Magnum, SRT10 pickup and Viper) after some instruction with Skip Barber Racing, which operates the program.

The bottom line is the Jeep is a very competent vehicle on the tracks. It was the fastest on the drag strip (Viper not tested there) thanks to all wheel drive-no wheel spin, which slows the others a bit and reported higher gearing. It kept up with the other cars, except the Viper, on the road course. I have also attended Porsche Driving Experience in Alabama and tracked the Cayenne there. While I have no hard data, I liked the Jeep and it has merit for street use. However, it has minimal off road capability due to low ground clearance and is only rated to tow in the 3,500-3,750 pound range, the Cayenne is a more balanced package.

I have sat in one of the jeep commanders and i have to say it is nice, not super, and the outside is attractive. I have to say also that the interior of the cayenne is very disappointing in appearance and materials.

I owned a cheap jeep and beat the hell out of it and it took it. They are tough and competent and now in this version have the power. I am a true porsche fan and thats why I am bothered by the cayenne.

I hope that Porsche will build a cayenne someday that has the luxury interior of a land rover and a truly distinctive and appealing exterior to go along with the superb internals albeit in a lighter form.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    I hope that Porsche will build a cayenne someday that has the luxury interior of a land rover and a truly distinctive and appealing exterior to go along with the superb internals albeit in a lighter form.

Absolutely agree...
    I will have to say that I would probably buy another Cayenne (not S this time but a TT) at some point in the future. Never thought I'd buy one. I was against Porsche building them but after driving one I have to say that it is a great daily/long trip driver.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    I have to say that it is a great daily/long trip driver.

It is the perfect long trip car and family car, I just love it. It is also the perfect winter car, even in the city where you can park your truck even in the craziest places when the streets are covered with tons of snow and other cars actually can't really move around due to the amounts of snow on the parking lots, street margins, etc. I just love the Cayenne Turbo. BUT: it is way too expensive for a family car. And this is the main reason why I don't think I'll buy one again. I try to keep mine as long as it runs well without major problems (I suppose another 2 to 3 years) and then I decide if I get a Panamera as my ONLY car for me and the family or if I get a cheaper SUV for family purposes and a sportscar for myself. I think the cheaper SUV/Porsche sportscar solution works best for me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM