Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Hockenheim numbers for the 430

Quote:
    RC said:
    In Hockenheim, the Corsas should give the F430 a 2 seconds advantage.

Last time you've discussed that issue, you were talking about 1 second, 1.5 seconds at the most.

Seems as if your predicted gap between a Corsa- and a non-Corsa-equipped car gets bigger and bigger with each post...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    In Hockenheim, the Corsas should give the F430 a 2 seconds advantage.

Last time you've discussed that issue, you were talking about 1 second, 1.5 seconds at the most.

Seems as if your predicted gap between a Corsa- and a non-Corsa-equipped car gets bigger and bigger with each post...

Yeah! Isn't it neat?

But seriously, we're all grown up car enthusiasts with a profound love for our cars, so why not just agree that the 911s are faster around Hockenheim and leave it at that? That's all there is to it actually. It doesn't make an F430 any less fun to actually own or drive.

1:12.7 --- 128.748 km/h – Ferrari F430, 490 PS/1493 kg (sport auto 12/05)
    1:14.3 --- Porsche 997 Carrera S, 355 PS/1461 kg (sport auto 05/05)

Now explain to me how is the car that is 1.6s slower actualy faster, youve exidental;y forgot that the porsche was tested in May and ferrari in november (by the way, its around 5 degrees celsius in Europe now). Even if it had the pireli zero corsas thats even better, becouse the more racing the tire is the more it will reackt to the temperatures. In other words ferrari wiped the flor with it, anyway you look at it.

as for 997 turbo vs 430, how exacly are they in the same class (because they are the same cost), thats a 3.8l turbo, and this is 4.3 liter atmosphere, to compare them ferrari would atleast need a 5.5 liter engine.

Quote:
    arakis said:

Now explain to me how is the car that is 1.6s slower actualy faster, youve exidental;y forgot that the porsche was tested in May and ferrari in november (by the way, its around 5 degrees celsius in Europe now). Even if it had the pireli zero corsas thats even better, becouse the more racing the tire is the more it will reackt to the temperatures. In other words ferrari wiped the flor with it, anyway you look at it.

as for 997 turbo vs 430, how exacly are they in the same class (because they are the same cost), thats a 3.8l turbo, and this is 4.3 liter atmosphere, to compare them ferrari would atleast need a 5.5 liter engine.

You, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the engines. On the tyre front let me tell you that the Pirellis are very sticky from the get go and with some warmup get devilishly grippy. Let me also remind you, that temperatures of 20 *C have been noted in Europe during the first half of november and some very cold temperatures were noted during MAY.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    beat it in barking performance

So you're saying it's a dog?
    Gary

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    beat it in barking performance

So you're saying it's a dog?
    Gary

LOL ... OK, my typo, I had that coming!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:

You, Sir, have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the engines. On the tyre front let me tell you that the Pirellis are very sticky from the get go and with some warmup get devilishly grippy. Let me also remind you, that temperatures of 20 *C have been noted in Europe during the first half of november and some very cold temperatures were noted during MAY.

No u have no idea what u are talking about, the turbo in regular cars adds alot of power compare the turbo 996 and a regular 996, gte the point or do u realy want me to flex my physics skils.

The P zero corsas performance differs alot more to changing temperatures then normal tires. so yes they are probably faster then if it was driven with regular tires, but also its alot slower then if it was driven at a hot sumer day. In car racing temperature difs can very the lap times for up to 2-3 secs. Plus we dont know whether it was slipery or not.
    The probability of them driving the Ferrari on an extreamly hot November day, and the Porsche on a extreamly cold May day are low.

The damd car is faster then an 997 carrera deal with it, it probably wont be faster then the Turbo, but then they are two diferent classes. In my opinion the 430 is not in the same class as the carrera s (cose it has a bier engine), At the moment there arnt any Porsche - Ferrari cars that are in the same class Performence vise. IMHO. The real comperison will come with the 997 Gt3 and 430 cs. and 997 turbo and F600?. Up until then its pointless

that's exactly the point. the times of the 430 are really weak, the gallardo does 1.11.8 with normal tires!!
    that would be some 2.5-3 seconds better than the f430 on rosso's! and probably close to the 996tt times, a five year old car with 70 hp less!
    not much to add there....

Sorry to rain on your parade but for the last 10 years, the competitor of the mid-engined V8 Ferrari is the 911 Turbo, by price, by HP, and by setup. In the case of the F360 it was the 996TT, in the case of the F430 its the 997TT.

The GT3/RS versions are a completely different concept more in line with the Challenge Stradale versions, though really its the GT2 the equivalent of the Stradale but since its performance is so above the Statrale's, its rarely reffered to in the same sentence, so the GT3 is used instead for comparison even with its huge HP handicap because it makes it up with its chasis.

As to the temperature of the tires, maybe it was snowing too when the F430 was tested ... FYI the air temperature the day in May the 997S was tested was only 12*C, so much for that argument...

Quote:
    Rossi said:

I was talking about estimates, the 2 seconds claim is closer to reality.
    Relax, the F430 is still a beautiful and very fast car.
    This thread is about people (or actually one single person ) who claimed in the past that they aren't interested in numbers but in beauty and especially exclusivity. Evidently, numbers are important too.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Relax, the F430 is still a beautiful and very fast car.

Don't be afraid, I'm totally relaxed...

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Sorry to rain on your parade but for the last 10 years, the competitor of the mid-engined V8 Ferrari is the 911 Turbo, by price, by HP, and by setup. In the case of the F360 it was the 996TT, in the case of the F430 its the 997TT.

The GT3/RS versions are a completely different concept more in line with the Challenge Stradale versions, though really its the GT2 the equivalent of the Stradale but since its performance is so above the Statrale's, its rarely reffered to in the same sentence, so the GT3 is used instead for comparison even with its huge HP handicap because it makes it up with its chasis.

As to the temperature of the tires, maybe it was snowing too when the F430 was tested ... FYI the air temperature the day in May the 997S was tested was only 12*C, so much for that argument...

I would have considerd since your status in rennteam that u are very knowligable about cars but your above statment kind of cancels that out.
    What the general public or the popular magazines may or may not think is irelevant. You or anyone alse cant actualy think that 2 cars with the same engine capacity, one is turbo anf the other athmospheric, are not the same class, that is just plain unrealistic. The Turbo will always be faster, in F1 turbos with 1.5 liters were even alot faster then 3l athmospherics, thats 2 times biger engines couldnt cope with the turbos.

PORSCHE 996 TURBO IS NOT IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE 360 MODENA, AND IT WILL NEVER BE. AS FOR THE GT2 THAT IS RIDICULUS.
    THE 360 CS AND THE GT3 RS ARE IN THE SAME CLASS.
    SAME ENGINE SIZE SAME ENGINE CLASIFICATION, SAME BIFED UP RACING CHASSIS AND SAME TIRES( NOT SURE ABOUT THE TIRES).
    ERGO SAME CLASS.

THE ASPHALT TEMP WAS 16 degries, quit using demagogy, and rethoric.

U want to compar performancwe for money go by a Skoda, Price tags are irelevant Ferrari is allways more expensive.

Quote:
    arakis said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

I would have considerd since your status in rennteam that u are very knowligable about cars but your above statment kind of cancels that out.
    What the general public or the popular magazines may or may not think is irelevant. You or anyone alse cant actualy think that 2 cars with the same engine capacity, one is turbo anf the other athmospheric, are not the same class, that is just plain unrealistic. The Turbo will always be faster, in F1 turbos with 1.5 liters were even alot faster then 3l athmospherics, thats 2 times biger engines couldnt cope with the turbos.

PORSCHE 996 TURBO IS NOT IN THE SAME CLASS AS THE 360 MODENA, AND IT WILL NEVER BE. AS FOR THE GT2 THAT IS RIDICULUS.
    SAME ENGINE SIZE SAME ENGINE CLASIFICATION, SAME BIFED UP RACING CHASSIS AND SAME TIRES( NOT SURE ABOUT THE TIRES).
    ERGO SAME CLASS.

U want to compar performancwe for money go by a Skoda, Price tags are irelevant Ferrari is allways more expensive.

Don't you think we're getting a little bit rude here?

Anyway. I see your argument and to me it's an interesting point of view NOT to compare the current 911 turbo with the current V8-Ferrari because they don't share the same engine classification. Different opinion but worth a thought.

OTOH they have similar power output, similar price tag, similar performance numbers and they attract similar people, what means car nuts with an addiction to sports cars.
    Most probably there are many more similarities, but these alone justify to compare the turbo-Porsches with the V8-Ferrari, with the supercharger-Ford GT, with the 4WD-V10-Gallardo...

What a mess for some stupid lap times done in different conditions in a non scientific way by journalists who don't care as much as most of the posters of this thread......

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    arakis said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

ERGO SAME CLASS.

Don't you think we're getting a little bit rude here?

Anyway. I see your argument and to me it's an interesting point of view NOT to compare the current 911 turbo with the current V8-Ferrari because they don't share the same engine classification. Different opinion but worth a thought.

OTOH they have similar power output, similar price tag, similar performance numbers and they attract similar people, what means car nuts with an addiction to sports cars.
    Most probably there are many more similarities, but these alone justify to compare the turbo-Porsches with the V8-Ferrari, with the supercharger-Ford GT, with the 4WD-V10-Gallardo...

Arakis, may you change your tone ? All people here debate with respect of each other and without agressivity.

Rossi, you sum up perfectly my point of view.

arakis, I would continue to debate the obvious but I'm not going to dignify your last post with answer... keep it cool and in respectful terms, then I will be happy to exchange views, the rest keep it for other forums.

I'll stick with the Fia rules, the only competitor for the 360/430 are the 996/997s, and that's why they fight on the track for many years now.

Next years we'll have a more precise idea of how fast these cars are, because the fia will create the gt3 class, and the 430 challenge will compete against the 997gt3 and maybe a 2wd gallardo gt3.

It's not fair at all to compare an atmospheric engine with a turbo one. Porsche needs a turbo to go over 105 bhp/l with their engines, Ferrari doesn't.

After all it's a Porsche problem, if their atmo street cars can't keep the same level of power and acceleration as the Ferraris, they must not cry, take the turbo model and say: "no, the real competitor is the turbo!" that's too easy!!!

I have a german magazine called Auto Zeitung from late 2003. In the magazine they have a full road test between the Ferrari 360 CS and the Porsche GT3 RS. The Ferrari had a 2/10 second advantage per lap. I think that Ferrari is the victor here because the cars were tested on the same day in the same way. But to me it still was not equal because the 360 CS was not the challenge racing version unlike the Porsche. Both cars had the same engine capacity and on the day the Ferrari 360 CS came out on top of the most extreem 911, the GT3 RS. The more fair comparison would have been Ferrari 360 CS against Porsche GT3, but Ferrari was faster than the much more extreem GT3 RS.

Quote:
    Lazy Cat said:
    It's not fair at all to compare an atmospheric engine with a turbo one. Porsche needs a turbo to go over 105 bhp/l with their engines, Ferrari doesn't.

After all it's a Porsche problem, if their atmo street cars can't keep the same level of power and acceleration as the Ferraris, they must not cry, take the turbo model and say: "no, the real competitor is the turbo!" that's too easy!!!

Aren't you forgetting the GT3 and Carrera GT?

I think Porsche have demonstrated many times that they are capable of building both forced-induction and n/a engines that achieve in excess of 100hp/litre.

Both ways are significant technical achievements. Both ways have pros and cons.

Fair or not, the Turbo and 360 were always compared to one another. They are similiar in price and both posses a similar power/weight ratio. So...

The GT3 is more focused. Which is why you saw comparisons like GT3RS vs 360CS, not 360CS vs Turbo.

Quote:
    vinnie said:
    I have a german magazine called Auto Zeitung from late 2003. In the magazine they have a full road test between the Ferrari 360 CS and the Porsche GT3 RS. The Ferrari had a 2/10 second advantage per lap. I think that Ferrari is the victor here because the cars were tested on the same day in the same way. But to me it still was not equal because the 360 CS was not the challenge racing version unlike the Porsche. Both cars had the same engine capacity and on the day the Ferrari 360 CS came out on top of the most extreem 911, the GT3 RS. The more fair comparison would have been Ferrari 360 CS against Porsche GT3, but Ferrari was faster than the much more extreem GT3 RS.

The GT3RS is not a race car. If it was the RS/CS or RSR then you might have had an argument, but the GT3RS is a street car.

Then factor in the fact that the GT3 is half the price... 2 tenths of second is not a lot.

Still, the Ferrari is so beautiful, so that counts for a lot in many peoples eyes.

I apoligiso fo my little excursion to the planet agresivity, I shell conduct my self in a moro ruly fashon from now on.

As for the turbo and 360, like a guy said here few posts ago, the only reason why they compere a turbo with a 360 is becouse the thats the only way a porsche is going to get out that much power. Now that could be because porsche is known for its overengeneiring and they make their cars overreliable. If I had to bet wich car would last longer a carrera 4s or a ferrari 360 I'd pick the porsche any time.
    As for the gt3 rs/ 360 cs, that is a hole another matter and another discusion, IMO they are exacly the same performance whise. There is no way that anyone will ever convince me that a turbo engine, supercharged engine and an atmospheric are the same, compere the turbos with the supercharged and with athmosferics atleast 1.5 times the capaciti lets say a 3.8l turbo with a 6latmo-like 997 turbo and f-600.

Quote:
    vinnie said:The more fair comparison would have been Ferrari 360 CS against Porsche GT3, but Ferrari was faster than the much more extreem GT3 RS.

You surely must be kidding?
    How is the CS less 'extreem' than the RS? It's exactly the same philosophy and class: pure raw car for the street. Challenge Stradale versus RennSport.
    And considering the CS has 50 more hp, costs twice the price, has an F1-style gearbox and it's allegedly easier to drive due to the mid-engine, 2 tenths of a second per lap is quite... underwhelming

Quote:
    arakis said:
    As for the turbo and 360, like a guy said here few posts ago, the only reason why they compere a turbo with a 360 is becouse the thats the only way a porsche is going to get out that much power.

Are you sure about that? A GT3 is pretty damn close, and it probably has a wider power band than the 360 to boot.

Both the 360 and the 996 Turbo were considered the pinacle of Ferrari's and Porsche's offerings for sporting, yet still reasonably "comfortable" cars.

They are close-ish in performance and that's why they are compared, even though they achieve their performance in a different manner (or totally different philosophy.)

The GT3, being a more focused "drivers car" is not often compared to the "standard" 360 for that reason.

I think your point about capacity and forced induction is well taken and understood, but to imply that Porsche couldn't make that sort of power without turbos to be competitive is just not true, sorry!

Quote:
    arakis said:
    As for the turbo and 360, like a guy said here few posts ago, the only reason why they compere a turbo with a 360 is becouse the thats the only way a porsche is going to get out that much power. Now that could be because porsche is known for its overengeneiring and they make their cars overreliable.

I understand your point that a Turbocharged engine has an advantage over an atmospheric in power output, but in the end we are dealing with street cars, and not race cars and competition regulations, thast diferent. So for street cars what the consumer/buyer/public is going to consider is its overall power output in the end when comparing street cars, i.e. one can be a 2.4T with 400HP, the other a 400HP 5,7L small block atmospheric, the other a supercharged V8, the other a 350HP N/A 3.4L inline-6, the other a 355HP N/A 3.8L Flat-6, etc. No how it does it but what it does.

The reason why the 911 turbo needs the advantage of the Turbo to match the F430's output is bbecause the F430 has the advantage of the displacement of the V8. The Flat-6 of the 911 cannot increase its displacement much further than now because of the characteristics of the boxer engine, so they cannot go about it the same way in increasing displacement. 3.8L for the flat-6 is reaching its limit for production purposes. So one design comensates for the other. The Lambo Gallardo is compared to the F430 and its Turbocharged.

So for street cars people tend to clasify the sportcars according to their overall engine output, price range, and sportiness setup. Hence the magazines used the 996TT to compare to the F360, and you will see the F430 compared to the 997TT, Gallardo, and Vette Z06. And not the 911 Carrera, the C6 base vette, Astom Martin V8, or the BMW M3.

And then you have on a seperate class the "track oriented" versions of these cars, like the Challenge Stradale, GT3RS/GT2, BMW M3-CSL or EVO MR-400FQ, etc.

Thats my view anyway

carlos, no turbos for the gallardo. As I see it, porsche and ferrari both make cars for consumers. How they make their power is up to them, its what u can buy that counts, be it GT3, GT3RS, GT2, or Turbo. IMO, of course, a turbo, esp the new VTG is just superior in all ways to a NA motor.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    The Lambo Gallardo is compared to the F430 and its Turbocharged.

Gallardo has a N/A-V10.

EDIT: Ooops, bostonmini was quicker.

ooops my mistake, Gallardo is N/A. What ever happened to the rummor of Audi slapping a twin-turbo on that engine for the Audi LeMans's or Quattro??

Guys, I think it's time you started limiting the number of forum users. Characters such as arakis and vinnie remind me of the fanboys I used to see on more "popular" car forums. Please, don't let Rennteam go down that path, or else it will turn into Supercars.net...

Thanks for picking up on my typing error I hate seeing spelling errors to.
    The CS is much less "extreme", according to test drivers the GT3 Rs is quite abrupt in its behaviour,transmission and suspension. The Ferrari is much easier to live with, smoother ect. The Ferrari was the chosen car for the visual and excitement factors to, it was the more entertaining, faster and easier to live with car. Porsche make very good cars to at a very cheap price ( as long as you live in America or Europe ). They are dime a dozen in Europe. To me Ferrari and Porsche are not competitors. It is like comparing Lamborghini to Bugatti, they are in a completely different price category. Unless you are talking to people that love cars like us, a car to most people is just a status symbol anyway. A symbol that shows how successful we are.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Guys, I think it's time you started limiting the number of forum users. Characters such as arakis and vinnie remind me of the fanboys I used to see on more "popular" car forums. Please, don't let Rennteam go down that path, or else it will turn into Supercars.net...

I think it makes more sense to limit characters such as Crash, people with a "chip on thier shoulder".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806520 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449514 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7204 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887292 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836104 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM