Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayenne...which one?

BjoernB:

No - G63 smiley

Well...I won't argue with you on this one. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I didnt read the entire thread but judging by pictures I would vote for that white one. It looks stunning!

Lars997:

I didnt read the entire thread but judging by pictures I would vote for that white one. It looks stunning!

I like the white one as well, the contrast of the white color (actually, it is metallic white) to the black headlights, black taillights and black rims is stunning but my wife doesn't want a white car anymore because it gets dirty too fast. Smiley

Also, while she loves the saphireblue on her Macan Turbo, she thinks it looks stupid on the Cayenne (and I have to agree...too much for such a big car).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Love the sport kit on the black one-side skirts, etc.  

The real problem with the Cayenne is the price and the ridiculous option list, the car is best in class... On another note my Macan just threw a big electronic fit and the whole console around the gear lever is inoperative. Call me totally unimpressed. At least I car drive the car but can't control the inside temp... And of course the RRS won't be here for another couple of weeks at best...

SciFrog:

The real problem with the Cayenne is the price and the ridiculous option list, the car is best in class... On another note my Macan just threw a big electronic fit and the whole console around the gear lever is inoperative. Call me totally unimpressed. At least I car drive the car but can't control the inside temp... And of course the RRS won't be here for another couple of weeks at best...

Smiley Fully agreed.

The Cayenne S Diesel my wife selected costs...hold your breath...133k EUR. Base price is 87k EUR. 

This car has options for 46k EUR. Ouch. Smiley

For comparison: A new Cayenne Turbo is 131k EUR in Germany.

--

For comparaison I am buying a fully loaded Mini convertible S for less than the price of the option on your wife's car...

Porsche Cayenne is a tricky for color choice. Some colors make it look frumpish, some make it look sinister cool. The lighter blues just make it look too fat.

Maybe black is the only color for it. yes

Cayennes look very good in carmine red and in blue in a shade between sapphire and midnight. Possibly agate grey can work with a fun interior, but it is already very dull. Black is... black and other lighter colors make the car bloated.

RC, a bit of an unfair comparison regarding your wife's car and a new Turbo.  Your wife's car was loaded up by a dealer hoping to make tidy profit from added options, and is probably on the very high end of a normal customer's choice,  And the fact that the car is being sold at a discount indicates that customers flinched at the bloated cost.  My guess is you can get a nicely--not ridiculously- optioned Cayenne diesel for 115-120K.  Further, the Cayenne turbo at 133K is probably under optioned.

I am not arguing that Cayennes are not expensive---any car over 100K can hardly be called  inexpensive.  But in the end, the market will decide.  If Cayennes cost too much for the demand, they will not sell.  If the market keeps demanding them, they will sell--and that is what really tells you if they are too expensive.  

Wonderbar:

RC, a bit of an unfair comparison regarding your wife's car and a new Turbo.  Your wife's car was loaded up by a dealer hoping to make tidy profit from added options, and is probably on the very high end of a normal customer's choice,  And the fact that the car is being sold at a discount indicates that customers flinched at the bloated cost.  My guess is you can get a nicely--not ridiculously- optioned Cayenne diesel for 115-120K.  Further, the Cayenne turbo at 133K is probably under optioned.

Most Cayenne S Diesel are around 125k EUR over here...people love to add options and Porsche offers many. My dealer sold many non-S Cayenne Diesel for over 100k EUR, which is ridiculous.

They sell but right now, the S Diesel isn't that popular anymore because A. the SQ7 stole it's thunder, B. the next generation is coming in exactly one year and people know that it will get the Diesel engine from the Panamera 4S Diesel and C. Diesel cars have suffered in popularity after the VW emissions scandal and the heightened awareness in people about the impact of NOx.

I am not arguing that Cayennes are not expensive---any car over 100K can hardly be called  inexpensive.  But in the end, the market will decide.  If Cayennes cost too much for the demand, they will not sell.  If the market keeps demanding them, they will sell--and that is what really tells you if they are too expensive.  

Of course markets will decide but this doesn't mean it isn't expensive. People are willing to pay good money for what they like but this doesn't mean it is cheap or priced appropriately. Smiley

--

SciFrog:

For comparaison I am buying a fully loaded Mini convertible S for less than the price of the option on your wife's car...

Crazy, isn't it? One reason I would never buy such a car (Cayenne). Especially now when ELVs and/or next gen hybrids are coming and lots of changes will happen over the next two decades.

--

RC:
    Wonderbar:

Most Cayenne S Diesel are around 125k EUR over here...people love to add options and Porsche offers many. My dealer sold many non-S Cayenne Diesel for over 100k EUR, which is ridiculous.

They sell but right now, the S Diesel isn't that popular anymore because A. the SQ7 stole it's thunder, B. the next generation is coming in exactly one year and people know that it will get the Diesel engine from the Panamera 4S Diesel and C. Diesel cars have suffered in popularity after the VW emissions scandal and the heightened awareness in people about the impact of NOx.

Of course markets will decide but this doesn't mean it isn't expensive. People are willing to pay good money for what they like but this doesn't mean it is cheap or priced appropriately. Smiley

I really do think the main reason for low sales is the fact next generation is coming. Nobody wants to spend +130K on a outdated product when the new version is less than 12 months away. The SQ7 is not a match for the Cayenne, I mean look at it, it´s a desaster design wise, it´s not a SUV nor a statiowagon , something in between, a real mess in my view.

--

J.Seven

I drove the SQ7 and it is a very good SUV, definitely a match and in many ways better than the current Cayenne S Diesel, believe it or not. Actually, it feels sportier than the current (fantastic) S Diesel. It is also faster. 

The subtle design is not my thing but in Germany, people love it because it doesn't look too provocative and stays under the radar, which is very important for such a big SUV.

I like the interior design of the Cayenne better though, with the exception of the SQ7 virtual cockpit which I really like (next Cayenne gets as similar speedo cluster as the Panamera, so...).

--

OK, we picked up our new Cayenne S Diesel yesterday and drove to Munich.

What I noticed so far:

1. I have to admit the Cayenne always looks good in black. It is a fact. indecision Especially with black LED headlights and black taillights.

2. Diesel consumption almost 14 liters / 100 km...a lot more than on the test car we had. I assume this has something to do with the fact that the car is new. Didn't rev it over 4000 rpm, half throttle only and didn't drive faster than 200 kph.

3. Torque/power feel in the city is amazing.

4. The PCM display is way too small but new software/GUI design is very nice, although not really thought through too well. Lots of potential for improvements.

5. Apple CarPlay works nicely, incl. Siri support but it is annoying that Siri and the navigation system seem to sound differently (more dampened in sound) than the rest of the sound (music, news, etc.), which is a bit annoying.

6. BOSE sounds in the Cayenne better than in the Macan and my 991.1 C4 GTS Cab. Still not really a highlight though. Due to the noise insulation glass, I can listen to a nice music sound and talk to my co-passengers in a very normal voice even at 200 kph, which is nice.

7. From the inside, the S Diesel sounds like a V8, which is nice. Like a muted V8 but not like a Diesel. Testcar was a bit louder (exhaust sound), so I guess our car will get louder over time.

8. Starting off from standstill is a pain in the ass. There is that second I mentioned in my short review of the S Diesel testcar, a second from pressing down the throttle until the car actually starts moving. Very annoying and probably the only reason I regret not getting the GTS. Even in Sport or Sport Plus mode, there is no difference, that second is there, like it or not. Probably to protect the drivetrain from that monster torque...or maybe that housewife who would accidentally step too much onto the throttle, I don't have a clue. General throttle response is better though in Sport and Sport Plus mode, the chassis also plays quite nicely in Sport Plus mode, as if the car has PDCC.

9. Steering feel is firm, very nice and especially in Sport Plus mode, very direct. No complaints here.

10. The LED headlights are amazing, the light is very good and they also look good, even at night.

11. The Cayenne provides that specific SUV safety feel I was missing in the Macan, I just love it. My kids also love the Cayenne, especially since they have heated seats in the back now.

Overall, we are happy (even the wife, she doesn't seem to miss her Macan Turbo anymore) but that second delay when accelerating from standstill is very very annoying, something Porsche really could have avoided. This little flaw actually taints the whole fantastic driving experience of the S Diesel.  yes

Better photos will follow as soon as I have more time. Smiley The platinum Sport Classic rims have winter tires (265/19"), the summer tires are on black Sport Classic rims with a 295/21" tire size.

IMG_1005.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG

--

Congrats, it looks great Smiley 

--

J.Seven

Congrats!

Thanks, guys. Will post better photos once I get the chance to. 

--

That looks really good! Love the Cayenne in all black with the black exhausts. Good choice!

Congrats RC!  From your review do I understand that the Cayenne has the latest PCM update like the Macan and 991.2?

Yes, the 2017s have the bigger screen PCM. Lovely to use.

--

Great to hear.  I am saying it again, although at the end of its life cycle, the Cayenne remains both one of the most desirable SUVs and Porsche out there.

Ziggy:

Congrats RC!  From your review do I understand that the Cayenne has the latest PCM update like the Macan and 991.2?

Yes, it does...including Apple CarPlay (wireless version would have been better though) but I didn't really realize it has a bigger screen. Smiley Smiley

--

Many congrats! Black with black head- and tail lights suits perfectly the Cayennekiss

Of course the turbo lag is annoying. Don't understand the deeper sense. Technically it's not necessary. Have to admit that my 740d has no turbo lag in no way. nothing. Just linear acceleration. I know, I know, the 7 series is boring like hellsmiley

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Conny997:

Many congrats! Black with black head- and tail lights suits perfectly the Cayennekiss

Of course the turbo lag is annoying. Don't understand the deeper sense. Technically it's not necessary. Have to admit that my 740d has no turbo lag in no way. nothing. Just linear acceleration. I know, I know, the 7 series is boring like hellsmiley

Oh well... Smiley

Yes, I don't understand the lag (only when you accelerate from a stop light for example), I suspect it is a protection for the drivetrain (huge torque) but it is also possible that Porsche doesn't want a housewife to kiss the next wall by accidentally pressing the throttle down too much. In my opinion, this setup sucks. Big time. They could have changed it for Sport Plus mode for example only, so no risk is involved. The S Diesel is a lot of fun because you have that amazing feel of huge power and torque, especially in the city but that lag when starting from standstill is annoying as hell. I will try to make my mechanic address it with Porsche, maybe there is a way to "fix" this but I doubt it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Ziggy:

Great to hear.  I am saying it again, although at the end of its life cycle, the Cayenne remains both one of the most desirable SUVs and Porsche out there.

And for 40% more than the competition it should be...

RC:

1. I have to admit the Cayenne always looks good in black. It is a fact. indecision Especially with black LED headlights and black taillights.

Firstly Congratulations Smiley. Hard to beat a Cayenne in black as you say.

7. From the inside, the S Diesel sounds like a V8, which is nice. Like a muted V8 but not like a Diesel. Testcar was a bit louder (exhaust sound), so I guess our car will get louder over time.

Keep telling yourself this and one day you might believe it SmileySmiley. A diesel smells like diesel and sounds like a diesel  - always. I have have a well documented problem with them as you know  and I try my best to be open minded. There is only one greater sin and that is a Prius .

Actually the Cayenne S diesel doesn't act like a traditional one. 

I was picked up in one driven around in one in Leipzig and I didn't notice until I saw the tachometer. It doesn't have the shudder vibration nor the smell. 

--

Whoopsy:

I was picked up in one driven around in one in Leipzig and I didn't notice until I saw the tachometer. It doesn't have the shudder vibration nor the smell. 

Absolutely rightSmiley I testdrove the Diesel S as well. It has a pretty V8 sound. 

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

Whoopsy:

Did you drink to much at the reception the night before SmileySmileySmiley. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck , and quacks like a duck  - it is a duck! Humour me , I'm just having some fun with my diesel hate.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803350 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448609 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266177 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90090 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6643 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885792 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    833413 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM