Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG GT R

KresoF1:

Interesting since only one example of 991.2 Turbo (Miami Blue S-GO 4319) and  one examole of 991.2  Turbo S (Lava Orange S-GO 4318) were tested by Sport Auto.

991.2 Turbo S 0-200km/h: 9.9s 1616kg

991.2 Turbo 0-200km/h: 10.6s 1619kg

So... 

I don't remember when but there was a short comparison review and the Turbo (non-S) did 9.6 or 9.7 seconds, which was quite weird. The 10.6 s in Sport Auto was actually the worst time I ever saw in a magazine for the 991.2 Turbo (non-S).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Ziggy:
    RC:
    BjoernB:
    koko:

It's amazing how many people here totally flip out whenever a non Porsche does some impressive numbers lol

Nobody is questionning the time - we just try to find out just how they achieved it. I don't think that anybody here is a Porsche only fan Boy I dunno where People takes this.....this is THE Advantage of RT vs others.....

Smiley Probably also a disadvantage because from my experience, people who idolize a certain brand, their brand, won't easily accept criticism or that another brand (especially the direct competition) is "better". Had to learn this the hard way when I had to delete/disable two Rennteam accounts at user requests because they didn't like our criticism on Porsche and how some of the discussions seem to favor other brands. Smiley

Why would anyone who is not interested in reading/participating in Rennteam or any online forum would do that?  Can't they just walk away?

Very good question.

Also received this one, where the user demanded to delete all his contributions. Smiley We can't do that because it would have "destroyed" entire (valuable) threads but I disabled his account per his wish. Really weird.

Hello. I would like to delete my content and my membership at this time, is that possible? The reason is that I don't have much time at the moment to dedicate to rennteam and please I would appreciate if my contributions are deleted at this time, is that possible? Thank you very much.

One thing that can be done in this scenario is disable the account but also change his nickname to something unrelated like "user1234", and eliminate any identifying info from his account like email, etc. That way you don't eliminate the posts from the threads but they are not tied to him anymore and you are sort of respecting his wish eliminating "his" contributions.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:
    Ziggy:
    RC:
    BjoernB:
    koko:

It's amazing how many people here totally flip out whenever a non Porsche does some impressive numbers lol

Nobody is questionning the time - we just try to find out just how they achieved it. I don't think that anybody here is a Porsche only fan Boy I dunno where People takes this.....this is THE Advantage of RT vs others.....

Smiley Probably also a disadvantage because from my experience, people who idolize a certain brand, their brand, won't easily accept criticism or that another brand (especially the direct competition) is "better". Had to learn this the hard way when I had to delete/disable two Rennteam accounts at user requests because they didn't like our criticism on Porsche and how some of the discussions seem to favor other brands. Smiley

Why would anyone who is not interested in reading/participating in Rennteam or any online forum would do that?  Can't they just walk away?

Very good question.

Also received this one, where the user demanded to delete all his contributions. Smiley We can't do that because it would have "destroyed" entire (valuable) threads but I disabled his account per his wish. Really weird.

Hello. I would like to delete my content and my membership at this time, is that possible? The reason is that I don't have much time at the moment to dedicate to rennteam and please I would appreciate if my contributions are deleted at this time, is that possible? Thank you very much.

One thing that can be done in this scenario is disable the account but also change his nickname to something unrelated like "user1234", and eliminate any identifying info from his account like email, etc. That way you don't eliminate the posts from the threads but they are not tied to him anymore and you are sort of respecting his wish eliminating "his" contributions.

Good point but why should I lie, I kind of didn't understand why he wanted me to do that. Smiley I get it when someone posts something stupid (it happens, even to me Smiley Smiley) and that person wants it gone but these were pretty interesting and in my opinion valuable posts, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I agree, the reason he gave makes no sense at all

--

Suspension: Motorsport technology for top racetrack performance

The suspension of the new AMG high-performance sports model is also systematically designed for racetrack use. Wishbones, steering knuckles and hub carriers on the front and rear axle are manufactured entirely out of forged aluminium in order to reduce the unsprung masses. The double-wishbone concept locates the wheel firmly, with minimal elastic movements. The high camber and toe-in stability results in high cornering speeds and also provides the driver with an optimum feel for the road when cornering at the extreme limits.

The uniball spherical bearings on the lower wishbones of the rear axle are also inspired by motorsport. They are significantly more wear-resistant than wishbone bushings and due to their design have no play, which means toe-in and camber do not change even under high loads. As a result, the AMG GT R can be driven with even more precision.

In addition, the rear axle is fitted with a thicker tubular anti-roll bar. It has been adapted to the heightened driving dynamics requirements of the AMG GT R and saves weight due to its hollow design.

New development: AMG coil-over suspension

The new AMG coil-over suspension was designed specifically for the AMG GT R. This technology familiar from motorsport is combined with the AMG RIDE CONTROL continuously variable, adaptive damping system. The system is controlled electronically and adjusts the damping at each wheel automatically to suit the current driving situation, the current speed and the road or track surface.

The damping characteristics are modulated rapidly and precisely by two separate valves for the rebound and compression forces in the dampers. A harder damping rate, for example when cornering and braking, effectively reduces rolling movements.

The continuous adjustment of the damping to the current speed also ensures the best possible road contact even at high speeds, thus enhancing safety.

Adaptive damping adjustment in three stages

The driver can also adjust the adaptive damping characteristics at the touch of a button in the AMG DRIVE UNIT or by using the AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive modes. Three modes are available: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport Plus". The purpose of each of the three damping characteristics is clear: "Comfort" is the right choice for public roads; "Sport" is perfect for racetracks like the North Circuit of the Nürburgring, in other words for highly dynamic driving on partially undulating racetracks with maximum surface contact. "Sport Plus" is ideal for more flat, modern Grand Prix circuits such as Hockenheim and conveys a high degree of structural rigidity.

Conventional suspension measures include the wider front and rear track as well as the standard-fit Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres, of size 275/35 ZR 19 at the front and 325/30 ZR 20 at the rear. The street-legal racing tyres allow faster laps and up to 50 percent more mileage on the racetrack.

Agility and stability: the active rear-wheel steering

The new AMG GT R is even more sensitive to steering inputs thanks to standard-fit active rear-wheel steering, which is being used for the first time on a Mercedes-AMG model. The system offers an ideal combination of agility and stability ‑ handling characteristics that are normally in direct conflict.

Two steering actuators replace the conventional control arms on the rear axle of the AMG GT R. At the heart of the system are two electro-mechanical actuators (electric motors with jackscrew) that are not mechanically connected to the steering wheel.

This "by-wire" system adjusts the rear wheels within a predefined operating map by means of electronic control. The maximum toe angle change on the rear wheels of the AMG GT R is 1.5 degrees.

Up to a speed of 100 km/h, the rear wheels are turned in the opposite direction to the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual shortening of the wheelbase. The advantage of the AMG GT R is far more agile when steering into bends, resulting in even greater driving enjoyment and less steering effort ‑ especially on small and winding roads, narrow racetracks on which there are multiple changes in direction, or slalom courses. Further benefits include increased manoeuvrability and a smaller turning circle in everyday driving situations ‑ such as when turning or parking.

Once the speed of the AMG GT R exceeds 100 km/h, the system turns the rear wheels in the same direction as the front wheels, corresponding to a virtual lengthening of the wheelbase and improving handling stability. At the same time, the lateral force on the rear wheels builds up considerably faster when changing direction, which makes the response to steering inputs quicker. Drivers also notice that the AMG GT R delivers massive grip on the rear axle and strong stability during fast changes in direction.

The active rear-wheel steering not only improves cornering, it also assists the driver in the event of sudden evasive manoeuvres and thus enhances active safety, This makes the AMG GT R easier to control at the limit.

The standard 3-stage ESP® with the settings "ESP ON", "ESP SPORT Handling Mode" and "ESP OFF" works in perfect unison with the limited-slip differential and is optimally adapted to the outstanding driving dynamics of the AMG GT R. The programming for the “ESP OFF” mode is taken from the AMG GT3.

Grip to the power of nine: AMG TRACTION CONTROL

In “ESP OFF” mode, another innovation allows the driver to exert even more influence on the handling characteristics of the AMG GT R. The new AMG TRACTION CONTROL system also comes directly from motorsport. It allows drivers to pre-select the slip on the driven rear axle in nine levels. Just like in the current AMG GT3, it isolates the grip on the driven wheels and does not affect the stabilisation provided by the ESP®. Corresponding characteristic maps are programmed into the vehicle electronics to this end.

Control is via a special rotary switch located in the centre console below the ventilation outlets. Depending on the setting, the system permits more or less slip on the rear wheels ‑ very helpful in varying road conditions. Level 1 is programmed for driving in the wet with high safety reserves. Level 9 allows maximum slip on the rear axle. A luminescent band of LEDs around the rotary switch indicates the current setting ‑ this display logic likewise has its origins in motorsport. In addition, the setting is indicated on the instrument cluster's central display.

The AMG development has a major advantage over conventional systems in that it anticipates situations with the help of a virtual µ(mu) simulator and other data processed by a control unit within fractions of a second. The maximum permissible drive slip at the rear wheels is calculated depending on the selected AMG TRACTION CONTROL setting. When the wheels reach this level of slip during acceleration, the traction control modulates the engine output so that this level is not exceeded and the vehicle continues accelerating with this specified slip. The effect of the electronic limited-slip differential is also included in the adjustment scope. This control therefore takes place without lag, further enhancing both driving enjoyment and performance.

The driver receives assistance for one of the most challenging aspects of driving, namely selecting the optimum engine torque and the optimum torque increase when accelerating out of a turn. Drivers can get as much grip as they want and have dialled in. The precisely measured power delivery of the engine when accelerating out of a turn is one of the most important criteria for achieving a top lap time.

Electronically controlled: the rear-axle locking differential

As standard, the AMG GT R is equipped with an electronically controlled limited-slip differential on the rear axle, which is integrated into the compact transmission housing. Its sensitive and rapid control elevates the physical handling limits to a new level. It not only further improves the grip of the driven wheels, but also increases the cornering speeds at the limit. The system operates with a variable locking effect in acceleration and overrun mode, and is perfectly fitted to various handling conditions and road friction coefficients.

Variable ratio: speed-sensitive sports steering

The speed-sensitive sports steering features a variable steering ratio, which enhances vehicle handling and agility at low speeds while maintaining driving safety at high speeds. The power assistance is a particular highlight: It responds not only depending on the given road speed, but also according to the current lateral acceleration and the selected AMG DYNAMIC SELECT drive mode. The result: The driver has a perfect feel for the vehicle thanks to the direct feedback from the road.

Fade-resistance and consistent performance: the brakes

The high-performance compound braking system ensures excellent deceleration and high fade-resistance with internally ventilated and perforated brake discs of diameter 390 millimetres on the front axle and 360 millimetres on the rear axle. The brake callipers are painted yellow as standard. They are also optionally available in red for no extra charge.

A ceramic high-performance composite brake system is available as an option. The advantages of this system are a weight saving of approx.15 kilograms, a longer service life and even better fade resistance thanks to the ceramic brake discs with a diameter of 402 millimetres at the front and 360 millimetres at the rear.

Thanks for posting!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

very impressive !

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mercedes-amg/gt/first-drives/2016-mercedes-amg-gt-r-review

What is it?

Here's as sure a sign as you’ll get this side of its new, Formula 1-powered hypercar that Mercedes-Benz in general and its AMG division in particular are getting very serious indeed about their high-performance weaponry. The new Mercedes-AMG GT R may not be the most powerful car in AMG history and even at £143,245, it remains some distance from the most expensive, but for sheer, naked aggression and laser-like focus on the driving experience, it represents a new level for the company.

Think of it relative to a Mercedes-AMG GT S as you might a Porsche 911 GT3 to a 911 GTS. One changed letter, one entirely transformed car.

We’ll start with the body and structure, where carbonfibre construction for the front wings, rear spoiler, torque tube and roof plus some additional underbody bracing make the car both lighter and stiffer. The chassis has wider tracks, coilover suspension units, bespoke spring, damper and anti-roll bar settings, and vastly fatter tyres – the rears are 325/30 ZR20s – not to mention Mercedes’ first use of active rear-wheel steering, programmable nine-stage traction control, optional forged, implausibly lightweight aluminium wheels and colossal (and also optional) carbon-ceramic brakes.

Less has changed under the bonnet, but new turbochargers, a revised compression ratio and fresh mapping still manage to add a further 75bhp to the 4.0-litre V8’s output, to bring the total to 577bhp, with a chunk of additional torque too. The seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox is retained, but with a longer first gear, a shortened seventh and an overall reduction in the final drive ratio.

In aerodynamic terms, an invisible deployable front lip spoiler, a double rear diffuser and an adjustable rear wing not only provide meaningful downforce but, impressively, manage to do so while improving drag.

What's it like?

Not for the first time, the pinnacle product of an AMG supercar line – the one that should have you quaking in your boots – is the one that turns out to be not just the fastest but also, by some margin, the easiest to drive. When the GT S took part in our annual competition to find Britain’s Best Driver's Car in 2015, its edgy handling came as a something of a disappointment.

But just as the Black Series SLS was by some distance the most forgiving SLS, so its AMG GT R descendant has pulled the same trick again. It’s no pussycat and remains more challenging on the limit than a lot of mid-engined exotica such as the Ferrari 488 GTB and McLaren 570S, but the crucial difference with the GT R relative to the GT S is that the effort required to drive it really fast is more than matched by the reward.

And it is really fast. Eye-poppingly so. The response from the tuned V8 is little short of brutal, almost regardless of the revs on the clock, as is the sound. Indeed, one way the GT R can be best enjoyed is to put the transmission into manual, hook a high gear at really low revs and see just how flexible the engine really is and hear just how fabulous its barrel-chested growl is at such revs. Good though the Ferrari and McLaren are, with their flat-plane cranks, they can’t do this.

The GT R's problem is that while Mercedes-AMG has provided it with the iron-fisted body control such a car clearly needs, it has not been able to do so while retaining the at times eerily good ride quality of its mid-engined rivals. AMG proudly states that most of the car’s development has taken place on the Nurburgring and, frankly, that’s how it feels. Even in comfort mode, the suspension was firm enough on the roads of the Algarve to make me wonder how it might fare in the probably more challenging environment back home.

Find a smooth stretch, however, and the GT R proves it has all the grip, the turn-in immediacy and traction of those that put their engine behind the driver. You learn to apply the power earlier and earlier in corners, barely believing how much the rear axle will transmit to the road without complaint.

But for all its extra power and pace, it is its behaviour at track speeds that really sets the GT R apart from lesser GT coupés. You need to dial your brain in to the speed of the steering response – the car would be further improved by a slower rack - to quell the temptation to over-correct each slide, but once you've done so, the car is a joy to drive fast. 

All the excesses of the GT S chassis have been trimmed away and discarded. Despite travelling at an altogether different rate, the GT R does less of everything: less understeer on turn-in, less oversteer at the exit and all with far greater progression and accuracy. It will let you clean up your lines with the throttle and, should you so choose, drift cleanly. Mercedes-AMG says it’s not that kind of car but, instead, a precision track tool, and I understand where it’s coming from, but should it ever step out of line even by chance, it’s nice to know you’re not going to be all arms and elbows getting it back. 

Should I buy one?

You should drive the GT R on representative roads before you make the decision to buy one. If you can live with a ride that is very firm but not overly harsh, and if you can stomach the price, the rest is all good news. The GT R represents every bit as large a step over the GT S as the £30,000-plus price disparity and its immense specification suggests. And it would have been so easy for Mercedes just to make this car faster; far more impressive is the fact that it’s been made so much better too. 

You might prefer to drive a 911 GT3 RS on the track or a McLaren 570S on the road, but if you like the idea of a state-of-the-art sports car but traditionally configured with a thundering V8 at one end and its driven wheels at the other, the GT R will deliver on the promise of its outlandish appearance, and do so in spades.

Funny, the press cars seem to have the PZero tires - i.e. not the Sportauto Supertest configuration Smiley What a surprise Smiley

good catch !

http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/12/michelin-provides-custom-pilot-sport-cup-2-tyres-as-new-mercedes-amg-gt-r-oe/

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20161214/NEWS/161219982/michelin-oe-on-mercedes-amg-gt-r

Michelin OE on Mercedes-AMG GT R

PARIS (Dec. 14, 2016) — Mercedes-Benz A.G. has selected a specially developed version of Group Michelin's Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire as the exclusive OE fitment on the 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R sports car.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for the GT R have an optimized profile and asymmetric tread design, along with a single rubber compound developed in motorsport series. This combination, Michelin said, gives optimum balance among handling, grip and endurance on track, as specified by AMG's engineers.

The GT R tire sizes are 275/35ZR19 front and 325/30ZR20 rear.

According to Michelin, the challenge was to design an ultra-high-performance tire that offered high levels of safety in a variety of road and track conditions without compromising on tire life. Michelin achieves this in path through "variable contact patch 3.0," a motorsport-developed technology that optimizes pressure in the tire's contact patch.

Development of the tire took 18 months, during which Michelin tested almost 900 prototype tires and 800 pre-series tires. These were extensively tested by both Michelin test drivers and AMG's engineers on a number of circuits, including Nardo (Italy), Nurburgring and Michelin's own Ladoux test tracks near Clermont-Ferrand, France, the tire maker said.

Mercedes describes the two-seat, two-door GT R as having "adrenaline-pumping performance dynamics," driven by a 577-hp, 4-liter biturbo V8 that yields a 3.5-second 0-60 mph time and a top speed of 198 mph. The street-legal version of AMG's GT racer comes in one color — "AMG Green Hell Magno" in a nod to the nickname for Germany's Nurburgring, the 26-mile race course that car makers use as a benchmark for their performance offerings.

AMG is Mercedes' in-house performance tuning business.

BiTurbo:

http://www.tyrepress.com/2016/12/michelin-provides-custom-pilot-sport-cup-2-tyres-as-new-mercedes-amg-gt-r-oe/

http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/20161214/NEWS/161219982/michelin-oe-on-mercedes-amg-gt-r

Michelin OE on Mercedes-AMG GT R

PARIS (Dec. 14, 2016) — Mercedes-Benz A.G. has selected a specially developed version of Group Michelin's Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire as the exclusive OE fitment on the 2018 Mercedes-AMG GT R sports car.

The Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires for the GT R have an optimized profile and asymmetric tread design, along with a single rubber compound developed in motorsport series. This combination, Michelin said, gives optimum balance among handling, grip and endurance on track, as specified by AMG's engineers.

The GT R tire sizes are 275/35ZR19 front and 325/30ZR20 rear.

According to Michelin, the challenge was to design an ultra-high-performance tire that offered high levels of safety in a variety of road and track conditions without compromising on tire life. Michelin achieves this in path through "variable contact patch 3.0," a motorsport-developed technology that optimizes pressure in the tire's contact patch.

Development of the tire took 18 months, during which Michelin tested almost 900 prototype tires and 800 pre-series tires. These were extensively tested by both Michelin test drivers and AMG's engineers on a number of circuits, including Nardo (Italy), Nurburgring and Michelin's own Ladoux test tracks near Clermont-Ferrand, France, the tire maker said.

Mercedes describes the two-seat, two-door GT R as having "adrenaline-pumping performance dynamics," driven by a 577-hp, 4-liter biturbo V8 that yields a 3.5-second 0-60 mph time and a top speed of 198 mph. The street-legal version of AMG's GT racer comes in one color — "AMG Green Hell Magno" in a nod to the nickname for Germany's Nurburgring, the 26-mile race course that car makers use as a benchmark for their performance offerings.

AMG is Mercedes' in-house performance tuning business.

With all this effort at Michelin - why did Sportauto not use this new, custom developed tire but a "special" version which cannot be ordered through the normal Mercedes channel but is available with AMG on request only SmileySmileySmiley

Very fishy all this...

Furthermore, why would the "standard" car use PZeros then? angry

I don't call it fishy, I call it clever promotion. Most customers would give a rat's ass about the tire configuration, only those who really are into track racing and know their stuff, will actually demand more.

--

RC:

Furthermore, why would the "standard" car use PZeros then? angry

I don't call it fishy, I call it clever promotion. Most customers would give a rat's ass about the tire configuration, only those who really are into track racing and know their stuff, will actually demand more.

I think it is about intentionally deceiving people - I cannot approve of that kind of strategy. Same as with the cheating software at VW Smiley

The entire test is fishy - period!

However - it is a fast car, it has a lot of nice features and compared to the "normal" GT - it looks fantastic. 

how do you like this one? 

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 23.45.11.jpeg

Lars997:

The entire test is fishy - period!

However - it is a fast car, it has a lot of nice features and compared to the "normal" GT - it looks fantastic. 

True, also interesting price tag. Smiley

Still curious about the 0-100, 0-200 and 0-300 kph performance times. I know, I know...not really important for the track but most owners will drive it on the Autobahn and I need to know how fast this one is. If it does 0-200 kph under 10 seconds and 0-300 kph under 30 seconds, this thing is a bargain.

--

I bet the new GT3 will have a similar Cup 2 tire to help it distance itself from 991.1 laptimes...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Lars997:

how do you like this one? 

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-12 at 23.45.11.jpeg

I am sure that this radioactive purple will be the fastest colour for this car. Smiley  Makes Porsche's ultraviolet colour look almost conservative....

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Okay, here is our resident Merc insider's reasoning for the Pirellis

The Michelin is a new tire development, and may not be in customer production yet, and MB simply may not have a sufficient supply yet, could be a reason for the limited availability. Even the press pictures included with the article showed Pirelli and not the new production Michelin tires. The GT R is expected to arrive in the showrooms in March 2017, but customer deliveries may only start later, at the end of May or so. By then the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 MO tires in the dimension 275/35 ZR 19 front and 325/30 ZR 20 at the rear should be readily available. 

PS. The GT R may be sold out already in Germany for next year (2017). 

lukestern:

Good for him! Nothing better than the excitement of someone driving their new car for the first time Smiley
    "Best sounding turbo-charged car ever!" ?? I chalk that up to his high spirits and being caught up in the moment. Clearly that prize goes to a certain 2.5 l 5-cyl engine from Audi Smiley

kingjr9000:

The Michelin is a new tire development, and may not be in customer production yet,

Incredible, they even admit it Smiley A prototype car on prototype tires...

We can call it Mirelli P Zero for the time being smiley

LOL. You guys are still mad about the GT R putting the hurt on 911s? Cars have different tires all the time when it comes to testing. Some R8 tests have weird Continental tires, others have Pzeros, some might even have Cup 2 or Trofeo R. They send out cars to be tested with whatever they feel like. If the car is just being road tested in the Winter, they give you Pzeros. If the car is being tested for lap time, they give you Cup 2 or Trofeo. 

Anyone who actually tracks their car regularly and cares about it is obviously going to put on the appropriate tires, and might even just bring a spare set of wheels with slicks on them in the first place Why on Earth would you use the same tires on the street and the track unless you had to?

noone1:

LOL. You guys are still mad about the GT R putting the hurt on 911s? Cars have different tires all the time when it comes to testing. Some R8 tests have weird Continental tires, others have Pzeros, some might even have Cup 2 or Trofeo R. They send out cars to be tested with whatever they feel like. If the car is just being road tested in the Winter, they give you Pzeros. If the car is being tested for lap time, they give you Cup 2 or Trofeo. 

Anyone who actually tracks their car regularly and cares about it is obviously going to put on the appropriate tires, and might even just bring a spare set of wheels with slicks on them in the first place Why on Earth would you use the same tires on the street and the track unless you had to?

I guess after two decades some are still missing the whole point of ring times and its unique 20k, 150+ corners and street-like surface as being a unique benchmark for real-world performance of street sport cars as delivered to their customers... LOL indeed.

--

When people start driving on the real roads like they do the ring, maybe it will matter. Last time I checked, you're not allowed to go as fast as you want in most real world corners, nor are you allowed to apex and cross lanes like a mad man.

If you want real world performance, they should do lap times while staying on their half of the lane and put random police officers to give you tickets that you have to slam on the brakes should you see one up ahead.

If you want to see real world performance, start letting random people do the tests since 99% of drivers aren't even close to as capable as the testers.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690137 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409534 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235113 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65611 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858280 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774455 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM