Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Running in circles about wheels & suspension - Need Help !

As I am approaching the deadline for a change of the spec for my 987 S the most nerve wrecking decision seems to be the choice of wheels and suspension

IMO performance / driveability comes first (before looks and appearance).

Unfortunately the dealerships nearby don't have all the variants (wheel sizes / PASM/stock suspension) available as demo cars , so I won't have the chance for a real life comparison (oops - perhaps I should be careful with the word "real" in order not to run into a struggle like RC at the Cayman board ) before confirming the definitive spec.

So far I've only driven the car with the 19 inch + PASM setup, but of course there was no chance to push the demo car to the limit during a testdrive (I would call it more some warm-up laps than anything else even if there was some spirited driving on nice curvy roads )

So I have to consider the following alternatives:

18 inch wheels + stock suspension vs. 18 inch + PASM

OR

19 inch wheels + stock suspension vs. 19 inch + PASM

I am familiar with the pros and cons in theory (18 inch: more comfy ride due to higher flexibility of the rubber's sidewall, slightly better acceleration and Vmax due to less unsprung weight, less understeer at the corner entrance but less grip at the curves apex - should work the other way round for the 19'') but I think I am better off to collect some long-term experiences from some Rennteam fellows (preferable pilots who have been driven various setups already).

My guesstimate for now is not to upgrade to the 19'' (I've appreciated the comments from Ente and GR in the other thread regarding the more responsive road-feeling of the smaller sized wheels), but there would be some intense discussions with my co-pilot regarding looks (19'' are looking nicer IMO also)

As for looks: would the Cayman 18'' rims look nicer than the original Boxster 18'' rims ? (I've seen the Cayman rims only once at the Frankfurt Automobile show and liked them somewhat, however nobody would have seen them in the flesh on a boxster as available next year only). The new carrera sport wheel also appealed to me, but the rubber dimension (305 at rear) might be overkill for the Boxster..

Regarding PASM there seem to be some controversial discussions going on (more amongst 997 S owners) about its merits: some praising it for its variability (I would agree to this point) some are complaining about a kind of numb feeling in normal mode and even some rolling motions in the rear car when cornering very quickly, so I'm a little bit puzzled

During my test drive I LOVED the PASM in sport mode but I was not so convinced with the normal mode (felt indeed a little bit disconnected from the road IMO - at least from my expectations from a sportscar / my daily driver is a 3series bimmer with sport suspension providing more road-feel compared to the comfy PASM normal mode IMO. Don't flame me for this blasphemy .Maybe it's only me or a matter of getting accustomed to the different kind of road feels different cars provide ?

Also I wasn't able to find the correct setup during a high speed test on the autobahn (in normal mode nice and comfy for a lengthy autobahnride as long as you go straightline , but I found the system's intrusive behaviour at high speed curves, hard breaking, quick lane changes etc. a little bit irritating, whereas a multi hour autobahn run in sport mode might only provide some benefits for my orthopaedist

If I would be in the market for a 997S I definately would consider to go for the -20mm Option, but unfortunately there is no such thing for the Boxster.

BTW the dealerships I spoke to have not been a great help: regarding the PASM their comments varied from "Must have" to "if you opt for it it's like throwing money away".

Also I am a little bit concerned about the long-term reliabilty/durability of the PASM shock absorbers (its a quite new system and I intend to keep the Boxster for long-term) and replacement costs (nobody seems to know anything about the latter).

So basically I feel stuck in a compromise situation: when opting for PASM I might feel unhappy with the Normal mode (appropriate for maybe 70% of the seat time) except for cruising in the city and with the stock suspension I might miss the IMO fantastic drive feeling the sport mode provides during a spirited drive...

I understood that RC would recommend PASM (even more for the Boxster than the 997S) but I had the impression that he also more liked it for the Sport mode than the Normal mode..

Also I had no chance to drive a car with the short shifter

I've opted for it, as the throws of the stock system seemed a little bit too long for a sportscar IMO (although otherwise I was very happy with the gearbox) - I know the short shifter could be retrofitted aftersales, but I'm a fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule so I think I'll confirm this option also and keep my fingers crossed that my wife would not need to subscribe for a bodybuilder class just to change gears

I hope I don't bother you Rennteam fellows with the questions, which for sure have been discussed previously, but as the 987S is a relative new model some owners might have changed (or confirmed) their early views on some of the options based on a meanwhile more profound experience

Anyway, some of you guys might qulify as a psychatrist if you would be able to deliberate me from my RUNNING-IN-CIRCLES mode....just tell me about the right medicine....RC I've learned from another thread that you are apharmacist....I must talk to my health insurance company about the coverage of all illness costs evoked by this crazy P-virus

Re: Running in circles about wheels & suspension - Need Help

I have 19" with PASM and other than the cost of the tires, I would not hesitate to recommend it to you wholeheartedly. At the track, the larger wheels help handling, but do increase weight also, so it may be somewhat of a tossup, with the advantage going perhaps slightly to the improved handling. The look is fantastic with the Carrera sports, VERY tough, completely eliminating the 'Chickster' moniker. They aren't as light as the Carrera Classics, but look meaner in my opinion.

Teutronico: Thanx a lot for the quick First Aid

Your car (basalt?) looks fantastic in the pic May I ask where do you live ?

As for the "mean" vs. "soft" looks: I agree with you - originally I was thinking carrera classic, but now I'm thinking either carrera S (like you did) or carrera sport (definitely the most "mean" looking)- of course depending on the outcome of general discussion 18" vs. 19". But as I said, you have to consider that the width of the new carrera sport's rubber is even larger compared to your carrea s wheel (of course nobody has practical experience with them up to date).

LoL about the "chickster" moniker

I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with your 19" and the PASM

Atlas Grey, actually:

Quote:
    teutonictrio said:
    Atlas Grey, actually:

Of course Atlas Grey Need not only psychiatric treatment to fight the P-virus, but also new glasses

By the way, I'm not a fan of the Carrera Sport - I was referring to the Carrera S's that I have. The Carrera Sport is the fanblad, jet turbine look, which is too common to me. I like the unique, tough look of the Carrera S, so there is my vote, and I have the product to back my vote. :-)

19" + PASM. No question!
    PASM is great and 19" work well with PASM.
    19" on a non-PASM car is too hard a ride, but PASM + 19" is

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    19" + PASM. No question!
    PASM is great and 19" work well with PASM.
    19" on a non-PASM car is too hard a ride, but PASM + 19" is

Glad that you as a Doctor are recommending the medicine to cure my madness (even without mentioning side effects)

BTW: In contradiction to my trustworthy Rennteam fellows who are speaking from experience the salesguy at the dealership told me that I would earn an extra-discount if I could tell him after a testdrive whether the car was equipped with 19" or 18". Of course the offer came only after he would have checked that no demo cars with different wheel sizes would be available...DEALERSPEAK

When i spec'd mine i was all in a quandry about 18s or 19s on stock suspension, the last thing i wanted was a fidgety ride on the poorly surfaced A and B roads of Wales.

I took a demo for the day and did 170 miles of fast B roads in it - it was fitted with 19" CarreraS (no PASM)

The ride was truly awful, but then i checked the tyre pressures (cold) and found them still on transit pressures - 3k miles on the clock !!)

After i adjusted the pressures the ride was great, a little firm but not crashy at all - very similar to my previous 986 on 18s.

On most of my daily roads i doubt whether PASM would help me much - firming up the suspension is good for handling on smooth surfaces but if the road is pock marked , rutted or rippled then it can actually hamper traction.So i ruled out PASM (never going to track the car).

The stock 18s have a slightly smaller offset figure, and are fractionally lighter in weight so you get added track width and less unsprung weight. The stock wheels look great, as do the Cayman wheels, but the Cayman wheels seem to exagerate the height of the tyre wall whereas the S wheels get away with it - maybe i'm just cross eyed ??)

I plumbed for CarreraS in the end - easier to clean than SDs and cheaper too. I like the Carrera Classics because the rear ones in particular look bigger than their 19 inches, but to my eyes they are a bit too open in design.

Nice decision to have eh ??

I don't think 19" without PASM is too hard; perhaps my friend from Denmark is getting a little soft?

I have the Carrera Classics on my 987S and like the ride exactly the way it is. It IS firm, but it is not unpleasant, and I have driven several hours at a stretch with this set up.

From your comments, I think you might be leaning toward the Cayman S wheels without PASM. Had they been available when I ordered my car that is what I would have chosen. I think they would integrate well with the other CGT style elements of the 987, the 18" size is less expensive (wheels AND tires) as well as probably having a slightly better ride that would reduce your anxiety about not ordering PASM. The five spoke design wheels are by far the easiest to keep clean, and although this may seem like a trivial issue, after a few months you may feel differently.

I share your concerns about PASM reapir/replacement costs. In addition, if you acquire the track virus in addition to the P virus, aftermarket suspension installation would probably be easier with the conventional suspension.

Think about the Cayman S 18s on conventional suspension... It would also be cool to have a setup no one else has done yet.

mcdelaug

Re: Running in circles about wheels & suspension - Need Help !

I've got 19" Carrera S wheels and PASM on my "S". To be honest, the only advantage of the 19" wheels, in my opinion, for what it's worth, is visual drama. I don't like the style of the standard Boxster S wheels, if Porsche still produced those elegant 18" Carrera wheels (as fitted to the Hon Dr Phil's 986) I would NOT have gone for the 19" option. I would not have had PASM on the 18" wheels, I had it because I was concerned that the ride would have been too harsh on the 19" without PASM. I find the ride with PASM brilliant, I never use sport mode, as it's too hard for normal road use. PASM stiffens up automatically in a fraction of a second with spirited driving anyway.

Whatever spec you end up choosing, I am sure you will be as happy with your car as I am with mine, and hopefully we can compare next year when I come over to Monchengladbach..

If you do intend to track your car, would it not make sense to have another set of wheels/tire combo? If it does, I would think that one can find lighter and more cost effective wheels aftermarket than OEM 19"ers.

Will you be driving the car in the winter months at all? If so, you need to think about winter performance tires. MUCH more cost effective on the 18's. You also mentioned keeping the car for the long term; I am hesitant about the long term reliability of PASM. You don't need PASM with the 18's as the ride is excellent in the standard suspension. I ordered the Boxster S 18 inch wheels and I love the styling of them. The handling is excellent. But if you do go with the 19's, my vote is for the carrera S design

Re: Running in circles about wheels &suspension -Get it all!

I have a PASM equipped 987s with 19'' CarreraS Wheels (summer) AND just got 18'' CaymanS Wheels (winter tyres). I like the PASM very much but originally bought the 19ers in the first place due to optical reasons (did not like the BoxsterS standard wheels).
    I like the CaymanS wheels very much on the boxster and would highly recommend them.

Thomas

Carrera Sport wheels are not 305 in width (only 997 S models!!!!). All the 19 wheels has max. width 265(same of 18")

I had quite an arguement with the salesman on this subject - there are so many wheel/chassis options, which do you pick for your preferred use? I suggested Porsche should help by running track based events where you can try the main varieties back to back - I'd even pay for the chance to spec my car properly. Anyway I got nowhere, which was a double pity becasue I back then I ran a track that would have been ideal for them to hire.

So without experience, its back to road tests and advice. As PASM lowers the car 10mm, its going to sharpen things up and the Cayman road tests suggest it works better on that car than the 997. Also, the professional driver I have discussed this with seemed to like it (although not as much as he liked Sport Chrono). Its reasonable to expect that if PASM works well on the Cayman, it will on the Boxster too so I would plump for it. And I have always chosen the standard size wheels on my 986 Boxster S's. There are so many technical benefits to the smaller wheel and the only downside is looks, which is a downside I can live with. Then of course I would just hope that PASM and 18" wheels work together on the Boxster!

Quote:
    GR said:
    I would just hope that PASM and 18" wheels work together on the Boxster!

wtsnet is the guy to answer that one.

Performance got mentioned as an important point.

If we are talking about objective performance numbers I believe it has been stated that 19s will provide more grip and better lap times.

However, if we are talking about performance in terms of "driving experience" the vote seems overwhelmingly in favour of the 18s, witness numerous comments to that effect that people quote from Porsche driving instructors etc.

I have first-hand experience with 19s on PASM and while there is absolutely nothing wrong with this setup if I were to buy today I'd pick 18s without PASM. I find PASM in normal mode a semi-soft setup and comfortable on normal roads. The PASM in sport mode in contrast is a much more sporty setup, and as already mentioned it is so firm that it is perhaps not always an asset. Funnily enough on uneven roads I've found PASM on sport more comfortable than PASM on normal. The normal mode attempt to cushion the blow acts too slowly and you end up having it try to compensate for multiple impulses at the same time making it easier to get car sick. Sport mode is more honest - and of course harder.

Personally I lean towards no PASM as a completely honest response regardless of surface. It's not going to be as comfortable as PASM on normal for civilised driving, but to my mind that could just work towards making normal civilised driving that little bit more interesting. In firmness it's somewhere between PASM in normal and PASM in sport mode so that actually suits me.

From a looks perspective I believe cars equipped with PASM are lowered 10 mm.

The way I understand and interpret the choices:
    Aesthetic choice: 19s + PASM
    Performance (lap times) choice: 19s + PASM (assuming sport mode)
    Comfort choice: 18s + PASM
    Driving feel, honest feedback, fun driving choice: 18s + no PASM

(Edit adding note rather than changing anything - that last choice is my bias showing bigtime - likely PASM on sport is the more driving fun. Personally, I'd like to know that the feedback from the car is always honest, and that I don't have any cushioning at any time - even if it's actually slightly inferior to a car with PASM on sport)

This said, any setup is going to be a joy to drive. Personally, I am increasingly concluding that the choice I would prefer also happens to be the cheapest.

So what's more comfortable? Non PASM with 18's or PASM with 19's?

Quote:
    turbokuo said:
    So what's more comfortable? Non PASM with 18's or PASM with 19's?

When I was trying to make my own mind up I went for a drive in a Carrera "S" on 19" wheels + PASM then immediately afterwards drove Carrera (non "S") on 18" wheels without PASM, both on exactly the same route, and found the "S" + PASM the more comfortable. That's what pursuaded me to have PASM + 19" on my Boxster. I've not regretted that choice.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    GR said:
    I would just hope that PASM and 18" wheels work together on the Boxster!

wtsnet is the guy to answer that one.

Aha, indeed. You'd think? I'd have to say I've been so long in these boots that I'm not sure what 19"s, or non-PASM is like - long week, excuse the vagueness.

IMHO, there's really not that much visual difference outside the showroom between the 18"s and 19"s to justify the extra cost. Plus (I don't know what it's like now) there was a cost/availability penalty of the 19's replacement rubber too. Plus there's the winter tyre availability.... plus you're less likely to scratch them on kerbs...

PASM I'm less sure of. Perhaps the stock suspension would be more than adequate? I really don't know! The roads round here are a little rough and narrow and congested, and I haven't had time to track yet. I sometimes feel the wobbles coming on on badly surfaced pitching corners - I don't know how much is soft PASM, and how much is general suspension movement. Perhaps I'm a big wuss, but it makes me a little nervous sometimes. Body control is much better on firm PASM, but then you get bounced around all over the place. Perhaps my local roads just aren't Boxster friendly!
    Your choice of suspension should take into consideration the sort of roads you usually drive on.

Quote:
    Erpel said:Funnily enough on uneven roads I've found PASM on sport more comfortable than PASM on normal. The normal mode attempt to cushion the blow acts too slowly and you end up having it try to compensate for multiple impulses at the same time making it easier to get car sick. Sport mode is more honest - and of course harder.

Personally I lean towards no PASM as a completely honest response regardless of surface.

I'm of the same thought. Though PASM-normal is great for cruising, which is 90% of my driving. (commute). I'd like to try a Cayman, 18s, no PASM next...

I have 19" Classics with no PASM - it's quite all right with me

Side shot

And close up of these gorgeous 19's

Sweet ride ajcastaneda.

Thanks sir

Your car is almost identical to mine. Except I have PASM and Sand Beige interior.

ajcastaneda, your colour is Flat Black, not Basalt, isn't it?

Thanx everybody for sharing your experiences/views

Sorry for the late (and again long) reply but I wanted to make sure to come back with a somewhat more educated view after testing the Boxster with standard suspension and 18", which happened yesterday only.

Here is my subjective impression: while the ride comfort was absolutely O.K. IMO (even at not so smooth autobahn-stretches with a speed of > 200 km/h) I hate to say that I was really disappointed when manouvring through some curvy autobahn on-ramps / off-ramps in second gear near redline (the 2.7 L engine didn't help either of course..). I totally missed the planted "on rails" feeling of the PASM (sport mode) / 19" set up. There was just too much flexing/rolling motion at a speed which even did not wake up the PSM to kick in (although I've might be quite close to that, because the tyres already started to get "talkative"/loosing traction).

Of course I don't know whether I just became victim of a wrong tire pressure like percymon (your story really gave me a good laugh - the other drivers must have thought they had a car with the brand new Porsche option "solid rubber tyres") of course with a pressure too low rather than too high, but my overall impression did not support such a theory.

To me the two different set-ups have been really a difference like night and day when I did some fast corners (which should be the best part of Boxster driving anyway)

Nice side effect of the testdrive: I am totally convinced now that it's worth to go for the S with the 3.2 L engine (although the engine sound of the 2.7 is even sportier at low revs I have been missing both the power and the torque of the S-engine).

Regarding the suspension I am sure now that I have to get the PASM (not for the more comfortable ride in normal mode but for the IMO far sportier feeling through fast corners in the Sport mode). The negative points (questionable long-term reliabilty, sometimes somewhat road disconnected feeling in normal mode) are still there, but finally you always end up with some sort of compromise when it comes to the "best" (subjective) suspension/tire set-up

Apropos tyres: I think I'll take the Cayman 18". Of course I am not sure how to allocate the unpleasant impressions during the testride amongst suspension/tires, but I think the bigger portion goes to the suspension. And if I would go wrong with my decision, I could get some 19" later anyway and using the 18" for the winter tyres.

So it looks like I will share wtsnet's set-up

@ Erpel: thank you very much for your really sophisticated write-up of your experiences and views. To be quite honest I absolutely have been sharing your view about the "honest" drive feel with the stock suspension/18" - until yesterday.

As in real life: sometimes too much honesty is not what we are looking for.

Now after having made the decision about suspension and rims the spec-dilemma is not over yet.

The color combo decision still is killing me (ehem, us - Mrs. has her own opinion of course).

At least we have been tracking it down towards two paints:
    sealgrey or slategrey (I know, the damned option list is getting longer and longer - LoL - sometimes I think our US friends are better off as a lot of them are just buying from the dealer's lot avoiding the spec dilemma).

As for the interior: while I am leaning towards the classic sporty black interior, Mrs. still is in love with Cocoa, so I better follow her recommendation. To be honest I like the cocoa also a lot, it's just another feeling inside the car (more "comfy" and classy).

I also found out that I am not too much into the contrast thing, I am more leaning towards the cold paint/cold interior - warm paint/warm interior rule.

While I still like the seal/cocoa combo (we could see this combo on a demo car) the slate/cocoa really might rock, as the slate also has some brownish flakes in it.

I've seen a slate/black combo at the dealer and I must say the slate transforms the Boxster into a sculpture (very impressive IMO).

Also slate/brown nicely refers to the Porsche heritage, as this combo (not called cocoa at that time of course) was available in the early sixties on the 356 coupe/cabriolet.

I also have been looking into the slate/terracotta combo as I saw some really nice pictures here in the board, but in real life the terracotta was just too loud IMO.

My only concern with the Cocoa is that dreamcar might cancel our planned meeting in Mönchengladbach next spring, as he stated in another thread that Cocoa is awful in his opinion - LoL - maybe he can get away with it after some nice pints of german beer

This might be my "last order" call regarding the specs as the dealer has set a deadline for early next week.

To top the last hour dilemma I have to go to LA tomorrow on a business trip and I think it's not a good idea sitting together with your CEO in an aircraft studying the Porsche-bible or using the internet access not for the number crunching but to stay tuned with Rennteam...

So long, thanx for your patience with my long story -next Monday is high noon time

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    806536 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449515 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267042 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90446 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7204 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

887297 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    836114 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM