Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

oil gauge overly sensitive?

ok. 1600 miles. I figure it's time to check the oil. after hot running it tells me I am dangerously low..lower bar is flashing. I let it sit for a few hours and check it again. still flashing. I find the only oil I have is a less than half filled quart, so I dump it in and plan to buy some asap. I check it again after putting in the meager amount and what do you know, now it's full.
    what's up with this ?

Re: oil gauge overly sensitive?

drive the car up to it's normal operating temperature, stop the car and turn it off. wait 1 minute, check oil levels.

that's what I was taught.

Read the manual!! I can't believe what either one of you are saying - is this a joke or something??????

<Read the manual>
    english is my first language ,so, tell me what I missed.

Quote:
    red911 said:
    Read the manual!! I can't believe what either one of you are saying - is this a joke or something??????

lol

On page 16, far right column, under the second paragraph, identified with a sideways triangle there is a sentence that you should probably been made aware of 1600 miles ago!! On page 118, far right column with heading stating ,"Initiating oil level measurement" states the PROPER method for checking engine oil.

I am glad that English is your first language now all you need to do it read it!!!

red,
    how about you sit down, calm down, and pour yourself a big hot steaming cup of shut the f**k up.
    the question here is not how or where to check the oil level, but why it went from "dangerously" low, to full with 2 cups of oil, not the 1 plus litre that it is supposed to take

hey man, come on, there's no reason to use that type of language anywhere. He's just trying to help out. I don't have the manual right now, but does it tell you when the proper time is to take the oil measurement?

In my M3 the way you measure is by using the method I described above. Basically, the oil level can change due to engine temperature and operation, so you may not want to check the oil at random times.

Just trying to give you some useful information, nothing more or less. Not meant to be sarcastic or mean-spirited. Sorry you took it that way. The thing that I enjoy about this forum is the lack of keyboard commandos or at least I thought there was a lack of keyboard commandos!! It is amazing to me the way people communicate with each other over the internet when in person they would never consider such action. And due to the lack of body language and word inflection many comments are taken as negative when in fact they were meant to be anything but.

I find it pretty cool that i don't need a towel and get dirty hands when I check my oil levels in my C2S, i'm happy.

<It is amazing to me the way people communicate with each other over the internet when in person they would never consider such action. And due to the lack of body language and word inflection many comments are taken as negative >

<Read the manual!! I can't believe what either one of you are saying - is this a joke or something>

you might want to read your responses, and the original question, again.
    the question was not _how_ to check the oil, but why 2 cups filled it up so quickly.

This is probably a total waste of time considering what I have read thus far but here goes:

1) "Ok. 1600 miles. I figure its time to check the oil."

Read page 16 in the manual as I identified earlier.

2) The second post discusses the method to check the oil

Read pages beginning with 118.

All I was referring to was the fact that it appears from your post that this is the first time that you have checked your oil. That is all I was referring to. And not to deflate your ego but I was not only responding to your post but the post after yours. I thought that that would be obvious based upon what I posted but I guess not. So to reiterate, my first sentence was directed at the first few comments of your post. My second sentence was directed at the second post concerning oil level measurement.

Comprehend now!!

<This is probably a total waste of time considering what I have read thus far but here goes>
    no more a waste than everything else you _contributed_ to this thread.
    please, don't pee on my shoes and then try to tell me it's raining

Quote:
    Kevin034 said:
    I don't have the manual right now, but does it tell you when the proper time is to take the oil measurement?

I remember reading or hearing that you should check it every other time you fill up the gas tank. I can't remember if I read this in the manual or if the dealer told me this, but that's generally when I do it.

I think more than your oil guage is overly sensitive!!

And thanks for your sensitive, considerate, understanding, clever and original comments!!

And Derf, yes it does say in the manual on page 16 that Porsche recommends that the oil be checked after every fill up or 1600 miles whichever comes first!!!

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    please, don't pee on my shoes and then try to tell me it's raining

rofl sorry, this is just funny that's all. i'm going to use this expression today.

I don't mind the posts with dumb questions or RTFM issues. It may give you a chance to help the elderly who may have diminished mental capacities. Sometimes it inadvertently generates NEW useful or interesting information that somebody presents.

BTW, would be nice if people were more explict in their subject line. I don't want to waste my time too much.

Quote:
    red911 said:
    it does say in the manual on page 16 that Porsche recommends that the oil be checked after every fill up or 1600 miles whichever comes first!!!

HOLY FRICKIN COW! What kind of gas mileage are YOU getting!!

sorry couldn't resist.

Kevin,

That saying is known as a Judge Judyism and is the name of her book. If you liked that one here is a couple more JJ's:

"Don't shoot up heroin and tell me its organic"

"Don't fish for sympathy from me unless you like sushi"

"Don't have guadruplets and tell me the cat did it"

"Don't show me a paper cut and tell me your bleeding to death?

"Don't try and give me mouth-to-mouth when everybody knows you're dead in the water"

The most appropriate for the creator of this thread would be:

"It never rains but it boars"

"Are you front page challenged or something?"

"You need more than a frying pan to make an omelette, sir"

"Don't pretend you're playing with a full deck with me unless you want to play 52 pickup"

I personally like the last one the best. How I sometimes enjoy wasting my time with a waste of time!!

sorry dude, but I heard that one 25 plus years ago in college.it was directed to me, rightly so, by a journalism prof
    thanks again for all your helpful information.
    you might want to consider cutting back on the daytime tv watching,

rofl

Sorry dude, bro or whatever but I never said that she created the saying all I said that it has become known as a JJ and is the title of her book. Just like facial tissue is called Kleenex but Kleenex is the name of the company. I must say you do have a knack of mixing up what you say. Are your sure that English is your first language? Don't have a cow then tell me you're a vegetarian!!!

And since this thread is boring me and everyone else my last comment is that I am definitely a peecanfan and a pecanfan and a pcarfan and generally a fan of all nuts (edible and non-edible) but some nuts (I think we know who I am speaking of) are just too much for my stomach acids to digest and therefore exit rapidly in the form of ......, similar to this thread.

Re: not only the oil gauge?

See headline!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782275 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442944 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263531 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261987 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86050 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6044 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881733 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820017 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM