Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First Turbo Cab. in Houston

Our friend "fanch" and I went to check out my friend's TT cab. that he picked up yesterday.

Our friend fanch (in blue)

PCMII as standard (at least in the U.S.)

And couple shots of my black beast

Re: First Turbo Cab. in Houston

It was indeed very nice to see a Turbo Cab in the flesh.
    But like I told Ron, I wasn't particularly impressed. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but it just doesn't feel special enough, the wide body looks great, but the back spoiler looks too much with the typical fat bum from the 996 cabriolet. Which is why I believe that a C4S cab would arguably look better.
    I personnally prefer Ron's Carrera with the body kit.
    What really disappointed me is the fact that the interior is like any other 996. It should feel more special, this is a car that outruns the 360 Spider, the SL55, etc etc etc!!! It's too 996!
    But some people like that though, typical Porsche understatement.
    Car magazine summed it up really well IMO. The Turbo cab is a poser's car like any cabs which raises the following question:
    If you're after the perfs, then get the Turbo Coupe and for the same money, if you're after the posing get the 360 Spider.
    Where's does that leave the Turbo Cab?
    Fanch.
    PS: Attached are two pics I took at Austin's Porsche dealership on my visit with GM Austin.
    These pics are from the back parking lot, they are cool but IMO also a bit worrying bc all these Cayennes are unsold!!!
    The salesman was confident that they would each find an owner before the end of the year, I really hope so for him and for Porsche.
    I love Porsche, I really wish for their success, but I haven't seen that many Cayennes on the streets and the BMW X5 4.8 is bad news for the Cayenne S. BTW, they were at least 40 Cayennes and not one Turbo.

Second pic

Fanch.

"...but the back spoiler looks too much with the typical fat bum from the 996 cabriolet. Which is why I believe that a C4S cab would arguably look better."

agree 100%, the proportions on the c4s cab are much better.

fanch,

what are you doing in houston???

Quote:
    If you're after the perfs, then get the Turbo Coupe and for the same money, if you're after the posing get the 360 Spider.

...couldn't have said it better, this really brings it to the point. the turbo cab is pointless IMO. and having the 997 in mind, depreciation will be high i suppose.

well, but there's one type of client for whom the TT cab is perfect...

- loves to drive top down, but is no poser and couldn't take the attention the spider gets
    - has a lot of money, could take the depreciation but only wants one car which should work as a daily driver
    - has never seen the interior of a boxster
    - has never heard of the AMG SL 55

Quote:
    the wide body looks great, but the back spoiler looks too much with the typical fat bum from the 996 cabriolet. Which is why I believe that a C4S cab would arguably look better.

personally i still prefer the slim "ordinary" carrera cabs... way more elegant. i love the aggressive wide body look, but it doesn't suit the cab IMO.

Re: Second pic

Quote:
    PS: Attached are two pics I took at Austin's Porsche dealership on my visit with GM Austin.
    These pics are from the back parking lot, they are cool but IMO also a bit worrying bc all these Cayennes are unsold!!!
    The salesman was confident that they would each find an owner before the end of the year, I really hope so for him and for Porsche.

oh my god!! what an alarming inventory!
    porsche is giving their dealers a hard time!!! i suppose to get one turbo for their customers they have to order 5 cayennes and 2 boxsters

Hey Zz,
    In Houston for a whole month for training with my company.
    One more week to go.
    Very interesting place!
    Fanch.

The salesman told me the common selling ratio has become 5 Cayennes Sold for 1 Carrera.
    Fanch.

Quote:
    Very interesting place!

i can imagine! i've seen only the aiport of houston, nothing much else. but i've been to dallas a couple of times some years ago (for business though). texas is nice. never had better steaks. i wish i could remember the name of this awesome steak & seafood restaurant.

Quote:
    The salesman told me the common selling ratio has become 5 Cayennes Sold for 1 Carrera.

unbelievable!!

Ron,
    Nice Carrera. I think I have seen you driving around in Bellaire.
    Doug

Re: Houston

WEll if you are in Houston..I think it's Houston..go to Gilleys..You might as well
    experience the "local" flavor!!!

Thank you . I may have been to Bellaire area but mostly around Memorial Park where I live.

Quote:
    Quote:

unbelievable!!

My dear friend, here in United States, the vast majority of sports car owners are posers. When the Cayenne came out, people who originally were going to get the Carrera could now pose and still have some practicality. From a real world handling/performance point of view, the Cayenne fills their void. That is not to say that everyone who purchased a Cayenne is posing, but a lot of them are.

what a breath of fresh air rennteam is!!!

Veritas Vos Liberabit: The truth will set you free

The Johns Hopkins University motto -- totally applicable at rennteam.

Quote:
    what a breath of fresh air rennteam is!!!

Veritas Vos Liberabit: The truth will set you free

The Johns Hopkins University motto -- totally applicable at rennteam.

Thanks for the flowers, Watt.

I think Rennteam is a forum where adult (and sometimes adolescent) people can seriously talk about different sports cars and related issues using a bit of criticism without worshipping their own car too much.
    It is interesting that our post/thread vs. read/view ratio seems to be substantially higher than on other car forums.
    Or to give you an example: when I still had my 996 Turbo, I met a guy at my dealer who just bought one. We started to talk about the Turbo and after a while he interrupted our conversion, seriously (and with a red face ) asking me: "why the heck did you buy this car if you're not happy with it and Porsche?"

Oh, I was very happy with my Turbo and even with Porsche, I only think that worshipping something you own isn't really good, even if you like it very much. There is no perfect sports car like there is no perfect woman (or man ).
    I think this forum is for people who want to have a broader perspective regarding their cars. It is like watching CNN, BBC, Fox News and Al Jazeera at the same time. Not all people like it but we can live with it. As long as we don't earn money with Rennteam.com, this is purely a User's forum, no Ego growing place, no one man show (sometimes I feel flattered when I read "RC, please ..." but I'm sometimes as dumb or clueless as anybody else ) and definetely not cheap or even free advertisement for car companies.
    We're completely independent and everybody can say what he wants over here, as long as it happens in a civilized and adult manner. Hot temper is no problem, personal attacks or using bad language are a problem but suprisingly we never had to cope with such things over here.
    And now I stop talkin BS and boring you guys...I just got carried away...bla bla.

Beautiful car Ron! I've never seen a picture of it.

well, RC,

praise highly deserved.

i know from experience how defensive and vicious other boards can be when someone questions the perfection [or obvious imperfections] of a car they own!!! notice i said own, not read about... owned!!!

Quote:
    well, RC,

praise highly deserved.

i know from experience how defensive and vicious other boards can be when someone questions the perfection [or obvious imperfections] of a car they own!!! notice i said own, not read about... owned!!!

Currently, a few friends and myself are costantly under fire about the "negativity" of our posts at a certain AMG board. Rennteam is a breath of fresh air.

Re: tt cab overproduction

On another board TT cabs are supposedly selling at discounts already! Still trying to locate SPECIFIC dealers doing this.....
    So does this mean the 2500 production number is out the window or there just that few buyers in the market place?

Re: tt cab overproduction

Bad TT,

Perhaps 2500 for 2004. I never heard of any limited production on the TT Cab. In fact My dealer told me they're reducing the TT Coupe production to produce more TT Cab. Of course, that's what he said and is not written in stone.

RennTeam

Quote:
    And now I stop talkin BS and boring you guys

No, no, it's not BS. It's all true. RennTeam has a different atmosphere than other forums. There are frequent differences of opinion but very little flaming. There also seems to be a high proportion of contributors who know what they are talking about. Now that is very unusual on a forum.

Re: RennTeam

The 996 TT Cab. looks great! I can't help but wonder why anyone would choose this car over a TT coupe(other than the fact that they just want a convertible TT)? Because in my opinion the coupe is so complete???

BTW, I am holding out on replacing the M5 until the 997 TT gets here(if I don't decide to get a Carrera 4 before the TT gets here).

I agree with you. They should have gone as far as C4 S cab. Turbo cab, in my opinion, is an over kill for a convertible.

For an engine like the Turbo Coupe is the most appropriate.

Thank God they're not thinking about a GT3 Cab.

Yeah seriously! By chance is anyone here a 996 owner over 6'3? If so how comftarble is the interior for you?

Quote:
    By chance is anyone here a 996 owner over 6'3? If so how comftarble is the interior for you?

6'4" (1,93m) --> I need "sunroof delete" and GT3 console delete to drive a 6-speed comfy with a helmet. Cab is no problem for head room as delivered, but shares the leg room issue.

BTW, when my X50 TT Cab arrives, I'll see you guys at Mid-Ohio for a few laps to see whose car is wussy!

The cab. is what I'd probably go for, the only drawback once again is the legroom. If you have long legs, like I do, your knees might end up steering the car as opposed to your hands!

The seat goes back far enough to prevent knee-to-wheel interference (I wear 36" inseams). The only real problem is the awkward lower leg confinement by the standard console for heel-and-toe pedal work. I chose a Tiptronic for my '01 TT coupe for that reason. The TT Cab on order is a 6-speed because my wife wanted it that way (we'll share it) and that's fine with me. Some aftermarket pedals would probably make the heel-and-toe bit much better.

Well to be exact Im 6-5". Earlier this year I went into BH Porsche and checked out a red C4S w/ tiptronic. Sat in the car and I felt very confined. I guess im going to have to make another trip to the dealer to toy around w/ seat/steering wheel adjustments and tyr to find a comftarble position? If the 996 Turbo doesnt work, hopefully the 997 Turbo will. Again I have heard that this car will have a longer wheelbase than the 996, which means more leg room for the driver and passanger. Congrats on your purchase W8MM, let us know how you like it!

Quote:
    The seat goes back far enough to prevent knee-to-wheel interference (I wear 36" inseams). The only real problem is the awkward lower leg confinement by the standard console for heel-and-toe pedal work. I chose a Tiptronic for my '01 TT coupe for that reason. The TT Cab on order is a 6-speed because my wife wanted it that way (we'll share it) and that's fine with me. Some aftermarket pedals would probably make the heel-and-toe bit much better.

I can recommend the Techart pedals which make the Heel-and-toe issue disapear and perversly make more room available in the foot well. I am only a short a**e compaired to some of you guys (6 ft 1 and a 34" leg) but I have VERY large feet (forget driving a Caterham...) and this was the only solution I could come up with to make driving my GT3 a reality.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777746 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441896 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262872 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261086 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85354 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880766 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816240 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM