Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Seeing Cayennes and Touregs

Quote:
    But I will stop now, it is difficult to convince owners of a certain car that it isn't perfect. Anyway, what is perfect in life?

No, too late! You are in too deep now. No going back.

So VW did the development work and Porsche just dropped in to add their engine? Right now Porsche is demanding a licensing fee from VW for the upcoming Audi Pikes Peak. VW claims they don't owe it because the Pikes Peak is a different platform with different wheelbase and different dimensions. They claim they would only owe a license fee on the Cayenne/Touareg platform. My question is: why would they owe Porsche a license fee at all if they did all the development work?

For those interested in reading about the early Cayenne development here are some interesting articles in TheCarConnection, 123review.com, and Automotive News Europe. I am actually looking over the Automotive News link right now, which is a list of the suppliers for the Cayenne. If the Cayenne is mostly a Volkswagen we should be able to see it here. Hmmm ... let's see ... vw ... vw ... hmmm, no vw! ... hmmm.

Your probably right RC. This thread has gone far enough. It's been fun but we should probably quit now.

Re: GM continues to evolve the Aztec so it continues to be...

Look Jeffrey, you may be a photographer but after reading quite a few of your posts I'm beginning to doubt your sense of design. And the way you sometimes express yourself is really quite a laugh, IMO.

Besides, comparing that Pontiac to the new BMW X5 4.8is proves my point a 1000 times. Have you even seen it in real life (at IAA)?

Design is debatable but the whole thing about the Cayenne being a good/supersporty/whatever car because of the envious feedback you get from people or because of how rare the car is - well to me that's ignorance.

My advise is: try out some recent Porsche sportscars such as the 993 or 996 series and you might understand why "Porsche fanatics" like me and RC react the way we do.

And the so-called rarity of the Cayenne will most certainly be over when the V6 model comes out which BTW is based on a VAG engine (Volkwagen enginered, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact). And in the small country of Denmark where I used to live, people are exchanging their X5's 4.4i with Cayenne S like their pants were on fire, so at least here they are not so rare when it comes to luxury SUVs.

I have just sold my Cayenne S in exchange for a Turbo and I love the car, but I am one of the "many people" who do find the car to be a bit unfinished when it comes to the design. This is why I also chose a black turbo as it "hides" some of the not so perfect design features. The main reason why I chose the Cayenne over other SUVs/SAVs/Big people carriers was primarily the enginepower (which now has been modified to 530 bhp) as well as the air suspension. But if I didn't have the need to be able to carry 3 people I would never buy a big heavy block of a car which all SUVs are. But they do come in handy when going to Switzerland to ski.

But when I really want to have fun I still love to throw my Boxter S around the corners - now this car handles better than many much more expensive cars.

Lot's of gipperish from my side, but the bottomline: Hopefully people love/like their cars but keep things real! And to all those "reviewers" please stop debating on the basis of articles or reviews - Experience the cars in real life and then let's talk...

I wish you sports car freaks would just go back to your boards, it must be really boring over there for you to hang with us plebs.

Your chatter is boring.

Go on edit this one out as well, really credible I dont think

No matter how ugly the Cayenne may appear to certain individuals, I for one most definetly have to give them applause for designing something that looks very original. There are quite a few car manufactures out there that can't come up with any original ideas whatsoever, and look to other marques for inspiration.

in my opinion the main problem is that guys who`ve own purschs over long years see the cayenne bombers with complete other eyes than guys wich 1st pursch is a cayenne.

and the reality is as allways somewhere in the middle

Agreed, well put.

Quote:
    This is why I also chose a black turbo as it "hides" some of the not so perfect design features. The main reason why I chose the Cayenne over other SUVs/SAVs/Big people carriers was primarily the enginepower (which now has been modified to 530 bhp) as well as the air suspension.

You're not my lost brother, aren't you?
    When I wanted to order the Cayenne Turbo, I wanted to go for black too (same reason). I also would have tuned it as soon as possible and yes, power and maybe the air suspension were the only reasons I wanted to buy it.

Quote:
    in my opinion the main problem is that guys who`ve own purschs over long years see the cayenne bombers with complete other eyes than guys wich 1st pursch is a cayenne.

and the reality is as allways somewhere in the middle

Right, I agree. Speaking of "posers" now...
    To be serious: why did you choose a Porsche SUV, why not a VW, BMW, Mercedes or in the US (even much more interesting) GMC, Lincoln, Cadillac, etc.?
    Why Porsche? Just curious.
    BTW: nothing wrong with your decision but maybe some Cayenne owners should just be honest to themselves (and maybe to us too ) and say it out loud: we bought the Cayenne because it is a Porsche and maybe because we really believed the ads telling us that we're buying a SUV sportscar. And even here, nothing wrong with that.

To Mike: come over to the sports car boards and ask us why we drive sports cars, no problem with that.
    BTW: I own a ML55 AMG and I was ready to go for the Cayenne Turbo but my Porsche dealer didn't make me a good offer for my old 996 Turbo and I went for a Mercedes E55 AMG instead (to replace my 996 Turbo RS-Tuning which I had to sell because of 2 small kids). So I'm not only a sports car freak but also a SUV freak.

And last but not least, in about two years things get interesting: Cayenne Turbo Powerkit, BMW X5 V10, Mercedes ML 55 Kompressor...life moves on.

>To be serious: why did you choose a Porsche SUV, why not >a VW, BMW, Mercedes or in the US (even much more interesting) GMC, Lincoln, Cadillac, etc.?
    Why Porsche?

I for my part hated the cayenne when its come out ... after some weeks i checked him live and thought myself looks much better live than on pics but ive been not interested. after summer i wanted to get rid of my gt3 becouse good trackdays are very rare and i stopped driving on the ring becouse the number of unprofesional but fast driving idiots raises rapidly on the ring. than 2 guys died in a burning modena at schwedenkreuz and this gives me the rest and i decided to make a brake for a while with extreme speeding.

so I start thinking what to buy for the gt3? another 911? pff, no other 996 makes you hot when you had a gt3. i driven the gt2 of a buddy and i was not impressed - so comfortable, so boring even if it goes like hell. in my eyes he is not worth the enormous upprice when you only looking for driving fun and not in exclusivity. gt3 is more honest and aggressive in my eyes.

buttomline no other 911 and so i looked for the opposite and finally sit now in a cayenne

i`m happy with the cayenne now cuz i use him every day, the cayenne is not so boring like a mercedes but on other hand it have nothing to do with a cool 911 but you can feel where the concept comes from. you can do a lot of things with a cayenne - with a 911 only one thing :-)

I see the concept like it is and not through 911 eyes. the cayenne is more sporty than most sporty called cars but comparing him to a pure 911 his sportiness is maybe 20% max.
    To compare this 2 concepts in any way is BS.

my plans are to keep him until they comes out with a new gt3 or rs on 997 base and go back to the roots :-))

if money would allow it (its a pitty it didn`t) i would own this cars

964 RS CS (the beast and purness - best pursch ever)
    996 GT3 Cup modified to make him street legal
    Cayenne S with air
    a V8 benz for biz purposes

i have the last 2 ones now - the first 2 have to wait a while :-)

to come back to the question i never ever would buy any other brands than pursch or mercedes becouse they have a awesome quality and becouse they are PURE in their concept -
    sporty for P and comfy for DC. this brands never dissapointed me in the past with exeption a turbolook cab i had in the beginning. it impressed me a lot to see porsches driving to trackdays on own wheels, have fun without probs and driving home again with them. most others comes with trailers, ride 30 minutes and need to maintain the car`instead letting the hell out and having fun

and last not least this 2 brands are the cheapest ones cuz theyre solid and you get serious money back when you sell them even if they are not so stable than in earlier years but comparing to their competitors theyre still very good.

How many of you guys would have preferred a Porsche wagon(not an SUV, a wagon)? If no, what would you guys try and change about the Cay's styling?

a station wagon? hmm, dunno - I would prefer the announced 4th Pursh as a high power 2 door V8 coupe instead going for a wagon or a SUV. I like the announced pics from AMS of this grand tourismo even if I`m sure that this pics are faked. The design looks very italian - a mix between the actual maserati and the actual GT. What u want more, kickass italian look with Pursch performance?? Ferrari would loose a lot of customers :-)

This would be a good chance to own 2 Purschs instead a 911 and a Benz, BMW or whatever :-))

But whatever Stuttgart will do will be successfull in my eyes even if not all will like the new models.

Quote:
    How many of you guys would have preferred a Porsche wagon(not an SUV, a wagon)? If no, what would you guys try and change about the Cay's styling?

My wife hates station wagons, so do I.
    Maybe because almost every family in Germany owns a SW or a Mini-Van, I don't know, I just don't like both.

A Porsche SW? Thanks god that'll never happen.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779092 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442217 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263092 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261374 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85601 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5794 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881069 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817417 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM