Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

It is just one connector!

Quote:
    DILINGER said:
    dont you think RC's mod is better than disconnecting the whole electrical connector?

Either method is fine, as they both do exactly the same thing, which is to prevent the muffler diverter flaps from closing and the mufflers going into "quiet mode".

Take your pick!

Re: It is just one connector!

this thread is awesome, i know what my first mod is going to be now.

Re: Vacuum Hose or Electrical connector?

Quote:
    Orient Express said:

As a side note, if there is a 997 center console faceplate that has room for an additional switch, it is not difficult at all to add the non-chrono exhaust switch and power it directly from the fuse panel to turn on and off the quiet mode of the exhaust manually.

Thank you for all your detailed info OE, this is very interesting.
    I assume that you are talking about a car with Sport Chrono Pack here?

So if I understand you correctly, you turn PSE on/off with the Sport button (in the Sport Chrono Pack) and then you can turn the cut-off on/off with the additional switch

And some people say that BMW's iDrive is confusing...

Quote:
    So if I understand you correctly, you turn PSE on/off with the Sport button (in the Sport Chrono Pack) and then you can turn the cut-off on/off with the additional switch ?

sorta, but not exactly.

With the 997 Sport Chrono Package, Porsche has gone back to the methodology from the 986 Sport Exhaust and on the early 2002 996 PSE, which was that there was no driver intervention to turn on the "quiet mode". The mode was switched on and off automatically at certain speeds.

However, it appears that cars WITHOUT the Sport Chrono Package have a manual "quiet mode" switch. This is the switch with the double tailpipe icon. If someone reading this has that switch, can they confirm that it is the manual switch?

Now in reading the Tech Information guide on the 997 PSE, the wiring for the manual switch is in even cars with the Sports Chrono Package, just not connected. Adding the double tailpipe switch for manual control would be very easy to do, if there was a socket in the center console for it.

I would suspect that when the Turbo and the Targa are introduced, that the center console bezel for those cars will have extra slots in it, so that bezel would be the one to get for this mod.

Since the "quiet mode" vacuum switch is just an 12v analog switch, it will be easy to wire in a dash switch to control it, and there will be no danger of disrupting any of the digital circuits that control the rest of the engine or car.

I believe that someone on this board has already done this type of mod, but did not use the factory switch, but rather a regular switch that is hidden in the center storage bin, or someplace like that.

Gary, how does one get the "Tech Information guide" on the 997. Is this a document that covers all of the 997 or just the PSE.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Gary, how does one get the "Tech Information guide" on the 997. Is this a document that covers all of the 997 or just the PSE.

The one that I referenced above is just for the 997 PSE. If you know someone that has access to the Porsche online Technical publications for the 997, they can print you out a copy of it. Unfortunately, my 997 PSE copy is paper.

I would suggest that you ask your Dealer's service tech for a copy.

Guys I asked the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach, CA about the PSE. The service manager said he installs them all the time but in all honesty it is more of a sound thing than performance. He said Porsche does not claim any gain in performance. Is this true??

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Guys I asked the Porsche dealer in Newport Beach, CA about the PSE. The service manager said he installs them all the time but in all honesty it is more of a sound thing than performance. He said Porsche does not claim any gain in performance. Is this true??

Performance gain would be negligable, if any. I just heard that with the sound mod, backpressure is reduced all the time, giving a little HP gain in the uppe rev range. How much of a gain? Well, I don't have a clue but it shouldn't be more than a few horses. So who really cares?!
    But the sound...out of this world.

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

The one that I referenced above is just for the 997 PSE. If you know someone that has access to the Porsche online Technical publications for the 997, they can print you out a copy of it. Unfortunately, my 997 PSE copy is paper.

I would suggest that you ask your Dealer's service tech for a copy.

I assume you mean Service Information Technik Introduction. I was looking for this publication as well. As it is published by Porsche NA, it is not available in Europe. I tried ordering it from Pelicanparts. No luck, out of stock an backordered without a date.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Yep: Horsepower gain? None if any. Aural Gain? Incredible!

Hi all, have a 997 (non S) with PSE (and the "double tailpipe button") with 20 000 km, i ve done the PSE loudness modification (at less 15 000 km with the modification) and for two weeks i have a strange noise in the mufflers.. like a bad vibration. Yesterday i bring my car to the delaer : confirmation there is a problem with the left muffler... they will have a look next monday.

This bad vibration appers when the PSE in ON or OFF, but only when the mufflers are hot...

I don't know if this is the consequences of the loudeness modifiaction... we will see...

Re: PSE ISSUE !!! This can be serious

Interesting post.

This is regarding my 996 so I don't know if it applies.
    I did the cutoff mod for my car and had a switch installed on the dashboard.

At around 35000 km, in sport mode I could here a very annoying noise coming from the left muffler.
    Like a piece of lose metal inside the pipe and and it would repeat faster as I press the accelerator
    It would not be there in normal mode but back when I switched to PSE ON.

I realised it would go away as soon as I drove above a certain speed, like the back pressure in the pipe would finally put that piece of metal back in place or something like that.

But the problem would reoccur (only sometimes) whenever I would start the car again.

Don't know if it's related to your post Dillinget but I thought I'd share my experience since the PSE are similar in technilogy between the 996 and the 997.

Fanch i hear you man, i got the same sound from my exhaust since a month now, and i got on my car 29500 km, it might be the proble i mentioned months ago

Seems a good reason NOT to do the mod.

Glad I saw this before my PSE is fitted - if it ever comes off back-order that is!

Thanks for the info.

if you got problem, just reconnect the wires, and say to your dealer that something is producing a strange noise :):)

how can he prove you did the mod?

so... i went to my delear yestersay, they have changed one mufler (but not the PSE vacum system), they think the problem come from "une chicane" (i don't know the name in english)if it's true there is no link with the PSE modification.

from the sound my PSE produces i think there is aproblem with my left muffler too!!!

tell me please, when your dealer changed your muffler did he made any cuts to your exhaust system??
    or he just replaced it using the existing links in the exhaust??

i am wondering if changing one muffler will
    1) make the engineers cut in some point the exhaust connection
    2)make the PSE sound different from the side of the nwe muffler

i mean as the PSE burns in in becomes more aggresive, and so more loud but with the new muffler, will it be more silent from its side??

ok i will try to see all this things ! let me two or tree days (they keep my car to change carrera S to Sportdesign whells).

What are you listen by "cut in some point the exhaust connection" ?? for me they just replace the main part of the exhaust...

so, they have change the left muffler... and now the sound (frome left) is very different... it was better before...

see what i told you ttdi75???????????

with the new muffler UNBURNED the sound will be different!!

DIAGNOSIS on my car showed that the modification WAS THE REASON for malfuctioning

ttdi75 did you had the mod done in you car with the PSE???

Did you disconnect the hose in the past???

BECAUSE MINE WAS due to the mod

and now they are THINKING IF THEY WILL REPLACE it on warranty

so people be carefull its been proven that the mod destroys the PSE !!!

Quote:
    DILINGER said:

DIAGNOSIS on my car showed that the modification WAS THE REASON for malfuctioning

ttdi75 did you had the mod done in you car with the PSE???

Did you disconnect the hose in the past???

BECAUSE MINE WAS due to the mod

and now they are THINKING IF THEY WILL REPLACE it on warranty

so people be carefull its been proven that the mod destroys the PSE !!!

Do you not think that maybe...

Due to your past conversations with your OPC/senior official at Porsche, they know that you have been messing with your exhaust.

They have already told you it could end up in trouble.

A failure has occurred which they have not had before. You have admitted to tampering. Therefore they have decided that the fault is yours. As they told you it was going to happen.

The liklihood of them being able to detect the 'PSE mod' via the cars ECU is very doubtful. It would serve very little purpose to be able to detect such a failure (as ears are a better judge in this particular case).

Generally car ECU's just aren't that clever. Even the ones Porsche uses.

I may be wrong. But on the other hand I might not!

...Add

Quote:
    DILINGER said:

I know !

about the mod, i ve done the mod 15000 km ago (unplugged the hose). I can't understand how , but i have to admit that there is a link between the mod and the malufunction.

you have said "BECAUSE MINE WAS due to the mod..."how can they see this ??? it's a sucpition or there is really a proof ?

Quote:
    DILINGER said:
    ok so i had a talk with the technical director for Greece and considering the mod he told me that:

inside the exchaust there are 2 small flaps(i dont know if this is the correct word) that when you do the modification for the PSE to be all the time on, the flaps are really left free without control pressure..

This CAN cause after some time, ITS NOT CERTAIN THAT IT WILL CAUSE, a malfunction in the flaps, and after some time there might be a sound from the inside of the exhaust coming from the flaps.

PS important information : For my part i think they ve not changed the flap! just a part of the muffler, the falps are BEFORE the mufflers...

other info about pse trouble :http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=48&h=&t=225581

got more news

madadd, i think you got it wrong.

First there has been one more case in my dealer with PSE problem, exaclty in the same place (muffler) with another car.

Second the guy who warned me about the mod, did it just 5 days after i did the mod. and more important he is not working there anymore !!!

In the meanwhile when the technician in my dealer told me NOT TO DO the mod, they re-connected the hose....
    And i told them to do so because i was not going to risk my exhaust for the mod....
    Of course i disconnected it the minute i got home...
    BUT the next time i visited the dealer, i had pre-re-connected it at my garage so they could not see that i had the hose disconnected all the mean time...

More...the cannot re from the ecu BUT when the PSE goes to the factory back as a fault item, during their quality evaluation process they examine all the parts they got returned for malfuctioning...
    In this process, they examine the inside of the muffler to see what caused the damage...during this step they are able to see if the flaps,were abused with pressure...and if someone changed something
    Dont forget that they design it and they can understand more than us..

Now tdi75 as i was afraid from the beginning that the sound could vary if only one muffler was replaced due to burn in of the PSE
    And your experience veryfied that i discussed it with the dealer director, and THEY decided THAT:

THEY WILL REPLACE THE WHOLE PSE exhaust !!!! on warranty

BUT i should not disconnect ever again the HOSE

Thats it for now

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their PSE?There is a rattle sound in the muffler briefly when I start the car and the engine is cold but it goes away almost immediately when I start to pull away.

Quote:
    StevenShin said:
    Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their PSE?There is a rattle sound in the muffler briefly when I start the car and the engine is cold but it goes away almost immediately when I start to pull away.

The rattle is normal during cold start. And no, I don't have any problems with my PSE which I've had running for almost a year now.

i think its the first stage to hear it when its cold...

Also have in mind that this rattle goes away after certain speed,
    and it will be more noticeable when you RE-connect your PSE and have it on OFF mode...

Because the PSE sound will be quite the rattle will be easier to be heard.....

Rattly when I start, sometimes very, and much smoother sounding after a fast run. The faster it went the smoother the sound on idle. I've no idea why.

Absolutely no issues so far with my PSE on this car or the different version on my 996.

i went to my delear today, i ve asked what part they ve changed on my car, in fact all the left PSE (muffler+flap) is new...
    For my part i will never do again this type off mod (pressure modification) i think we have to find an other solution... (like on the 996 = cutting a diod; perhaps possible on à 997 with ON/OFF button)

So does that mean the electrical disconnect is the preferred mod or are both potential problems ???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM