Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman S Test Drive with REAL numbers

Quote:
    RC said:

Like it or not but many many people out there in the wide world view the 911 as the only true Porsche SPORTSCAR, not necessarily the only true Porsche. And sorry to have to admit it, they are somehow right. I love my wife's Boxster S, it is fun to drive. I love our family Cayenne Turbo Powerkit, it is the hell of a family mover. But when I get inside my 997 CS, I get this feeling...goose bumps allover. 911 magic...it gets you...

I am a firm believer that Porsche is much more that the 911. Yes the 911 is the back bone of the brand but it'd be bankrupt today without the Boxster and wouldn't be the most profitable car maker without the Cayenne.

I agree with you too RC, it is very funny, but 100% of the people who tell me that the only Porsche is the 911 are the general public, mister X who doesn't even own a Porsche.

For example, ALL of my mates keep thinking, wrongly, that the Boxster is the poor man's 911 and the Cayenne is the rich man's Touareg. The latter is a little bit true, let's be honest!
    Ahhh... Perception, perception...

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    RC was genuine in his remarks and stated his valid opinion of the Cayman compared to the Boxster S.....but remarks such as yours Ron we can all do without. This is a Porsche list.....not a 911 list.

But when I get inside my 997 CS, I get this feeling...goose bumps allover. 911 magic...it gets you...

RC I can totally believe that. I still get that same feeling when I strap myself into my 928GT....no its not the biggest or baddest thing out there anymore....but I still feel special when driving it.....it is so good for what it was meant for and a blast to drive. I hope to get the same feeling from the Cayman. Funny how each and every Porsche moves people in different ways.

Wow,

I've never seen a bandwagon fill up so quickly!

One posting about one test by one magazine on one car on one day and the Cayman is written off. It took until part-way down the second page until I finally saw posted (by Mike N)what I thought was obvious as soon as I read the first post... This is one test, on a different day, and the results are obviously on the low side. Why jump to conclusions so quickly and ignore other data?

1) In my own mind, the only real fault of the Cayman S is that in Canada, it costs $6000 CDN more than a Boxster S and I don't feel it has $6000 worth of upgrade. BUT, the price of new Boxsters (at least in Canada) are much better now (factoring in inflation) than back in 1997. So, although not bargain priced, I don't think these Porsches are particularily badly priced.

2) Acceleration is predictable based on power, torque, weight and traction. So it's bound to be very close between a Boxster S and Cayman S and the 911 will definitely have an advantage, under the SAME conditions. I really don't need a magazine to prove that.

3) I am surprised that people expected a significant weight advantage for the Cayman... Cabriolets tend to weigh more primarily as a result of the extra strengthening applied to the body structure to compensate for the removal of the roof. In the Boxster/Cayman case, the car was designed as a cabrio (instead of the reverse) and unless the body structure is completely re-engineered for the coupe, there is no economic opportunity for weight removal. Remember also, that the Cayman's tailgate has a large (i.e. heavy) piece of glass!

Bottom line is that the Cayman S is pretty similar to a Boxster S, no surprise and the price differential is a little out of wack. However, I would definitely pay the extra $6K as I really don't go for cabrios and love the look of the Cayman. All three of these cars are very valid choices, all with their plusses and minuses (and before we get too hung up on the $6K premium of the Cayman S over the Boxster S, let's not forget that a base 997 is a $20K premium over the Cayman S in Canada)

And that is the real crux of it. Style is individual and if the 997 is your preference, that's great, but it does not mean that the Cayman is not "real" either.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Mike,
    Point taken but take it easy dude, this forum's alive thanks the RC and Ron in the first place. If you think one's of them dumb, ciao ciao amigo and have a good life!

Now THAT remark is even dumber than Ron's. So you are saying if we don't agree with or critizise an editor or founder of this board we are not welcome? That is absurd. If that is the case then I AM out of here.

I agree with MikeN. That was a condescending, snobby comment, as are many in this thread from apparent 911 followers.

The 911 is a great car with an amazing history, legacy, credentials, etc. But a car's roots mean nothing to an objective comparison of a current model.

I bet most objective people would rather drive a Cayman with a 997S's powertrain than a 997S. I sure as hell would. You have to compare apples to apples. An opinion of "for my money I rather get a Carrera" is fine. To imply the Carrera is better becaus eit is a Carrera is silly. It is faster because it has more power. If the Carrera is so superior, why doesn't Porsche throw in the same motor on the Cayman?

...exactly.

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks for the info RC .

I agree 110% opt for a 911 that's the real thing.

Pretty dumb remark coming from anyone especially a Rennteam editor.....I guess nothing but a 911 is the "real" thing in the Porsche world?? I really hate to see a great list such as this succumb to statements like this.

RC was genuine in his remarks and stated his valid opinion of the Cayman compared to the Boxster S.....but remarks such as yours Ron we can all do without. This is a Porsche list.....not a 911 list.

Mike,
    getting so technical indicates that you're pretty brand new to the world of sports cars; or may be you always suffered from not being able to agree with everyone and tend to argue with them in your life. This is a forum which in essence deals with 911 first and then Porsche.

So for some reference you may want to buy a copy of "Excellence was expected" for your library.

Sorry if I was somewhat harsh in my post but sometimes you need to tell people the way it is.

Sorry Ron, your remark was still uncalled for IMO....and you are always free to dissagree as am I. It just so happens that when I click on the "main index" for this site a list of all current (and some past) models show up.....not just the 911. I was not aware that this was mainly a 911 forum and if this is the case then yes, there are better places to discuss the Cayman and I will do just that.

As far as my sports car experience, the Cayman will be my 5th Porsche including a 911, 968, 944T, and 928GT and have owned ones from several other brands in the past. Tracked, maintained, tore down and built each one back up.

IMO all Porsches are the "real" thing compared to most competitors.....with each one being truly great in its own right but very much different. I have done things in a 968/944T that a 911 would have a very tough time with and the 928 was one of THE best high speed GTs of all time.... much better in its day than any 911 for that purpose.

Is the Cayman a 911?....no its not and it shouldn't be as it is a different car and will have attributes all its own...some will be better than a 911, some won't. What about the Boxster?....is it "real" or not?

No matter what, the Cayman will be a very "real" Porsche and worthy of anyone looking for one of the best sports cars out there......a group that contains the 911, but is not limited to it.

Mike,

Let get back to the car discussion and shake hands. Sorry, it was Astros loss that got into me it was my second personality speaking.

Clarification

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Mike,
    Point taken but take it easy dude, this forum's alive thanks the RC and Ron in the first place. If you think one's of them dumb, ciao ciao amigo and have a good life!

Now THAT remark is even dumber than Ron's. So you are saying if we don't agree with or critizise an editor or founder of this board we are not welcome? That is absurd. If that is the case then I AM out of here.

...exactly.

No I am not saying that at all and apologies if you misundertood my post.

As all the moderators know, Ron is actually a close personal friend, so it is obvious that when a stranger calls him DUMB and writes the forum can do WITHOUT HIM when HE actually co-founded it with RC, I get personal and edgy.
    Yes I may have over reacted but tha't what friendship is all about.
    Ron's my mate and I don't like people insulting him, that's all.
    Do you get my point now?
    You have friends right? what do you do when a stranger calls them dumb?

And to come back to your comment, of course we can all disagree with eachother, this is what the forum is about, we always disagree, just look at Nberry, he's always disagreeing with us! but to my knowkedge he has never insulted us not asked us to leave the forum.

Critisizing is not insulting. We're adult so let's act like adults.

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Mike,

I agree with MikeN. That was a condescending, snobby comment, as are many in this thread from apparent 911 followers.

The 911 is a great car with an amazing history, legacy, credentials, etc. But a car's roots mean nothing to an objective comparison of a current model.

I bet most objective people would rather drive a Cayman with a 997S's powertrain than a 997S. I sure as hell would. You have to compare apples to apples. An opinion of "for my money I rather get a Carrera" is fine. To imply the Carrera is better becaus eit is a Carrera is silly. It is faster because it has more power. If the Carrera is so superior, why doesn't Porsche throw in the same motor on the Cayman?

...exactly.

mbr129,
    I don't want fanch to get picked on for this seally post weather my post was dumb or not, he tried to take up for his buddy, thanks fanch .

Let's get back to our car discussion; Cayman s is one hell of a car so is 997.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks for the info RC .

I agree 110% opt for a 911 that's the real thing.

Pretty dumb remark coming from anyone especially a Rennteam editor.....I guess nothing but a 911 is the "real" thing in the Porsche world?? I really hate to see a great list such as this succumb to statements like this.

Mike,
    getting so technical indicates that you're pretty brand new to the world of sports cars; or may be you always suffered from not being able to agree with everyone and tend to argue with them in your life. This is a forum which in essence deals with 911 first and then Porsche.

So for some reference you may want to buy a copy of "Excellence was expected" for your library.

Sorry if I was somewhat harsh in my post but sometimes you need to tell people the way it is.

Sorry Ron, your remark was still uncalled for IMO....and you are always free to dissagree as am I. It just so happens that when I click on the "main index" for this site a list of all current (and some past) models show up.....not just the 911. I was not aware that this was mainly a 911 forum and if this is the case then yes, there are better places to discuss the Cayman and I will do just that.

As far as my sports car experience, the Cayman will be my 5th Porsche including a 911, 968, 944T, and 928GT and have owned ones from several other brands in the past. Tracked, maintained, tore down and built each one back up.

IMO all Porsches are the "real" thing compared to most competitors.....with each one being truly great in its own right but very much different. I have done things in a 968/944T that a 911 would have a very tough time with and the 928 was one of THE best high speed GTs of all time.... much better in its day than any 911 for that purpose.

Is the Cayman a 911?....no its not and it shouldn't be as it is a different car and will have attributes all its own...some will be better than a 911, some won't. What about the Boxster?....is it "real" or not?

No matter what, the Cayman will be a very "real" Porsche and worthy of anyone looking for one of the best sports cars out there......a group that contains the 911, but is not limited to it.

Mike,

Let get back to the car discussion and shake hands. Sorry, it was Astros loss that got into me it was my second personality speaking.

Now that I can see!.....I was routing for the 'stros also... sad they couldn't do more with the opportunity....I think getting swept is the worst part.

Sorry for the misunderstanding then.

The review(s) I'm waiting for is the one where Rennteam members go to test drive events and drive Boxster S, Cayman S and Carrera with or without the S back to back and share their insights.

I still have a small crush on the Cayman. In the looks department it beats the others. A cabriolet is better because you can drive open and the open look _is_ cool in itself, but subjectively I think the Cayman looks better. And Carrera is frankly nowhere near being in competition with the smaller siblings. The rear engine I believe causes the fat butt which is where the Carrera looks ultimately fail every single time I look at one and am done admiring it from all other possible angles, wisely always putting off the rear angles until I need motivation to move on.

I've done some Porsche driver training and track driving in the 987 Boxster S and I love to toss it around. I can only imagine how the Cayman handles in comparison - and even there my imagination falls somewhat short. Similarly, I expect. But better? The jury isn't out on this one - they haven't even left the room. As I began the post saying side by side test drives from vetaran Porsche drivers in forums I frequent or myself will ultimately be a much more important arbitor than any magazine article.

All that said I think RC mentioned a very important point in his post that it will be important to remember. 20mm lowered suspension and limited slip-differential are made available on 911s only.

Quote:
    Erpel said:...20mm lowered suspension and limited slip-differential are made available on 911s only.

...not in the US.

OK, maybe I should start this whole thing from a different perspective.
    Tell me one thing: why would somebody buy a Cayman S?
    Looks? I'm not sure the 911-like look really helps, on the contrary. And the interior is 100% Boxster.
    Power and Performance? Like we all expected, the Cayman S has no real performance advantage over the Boxster S and doesn't even come close to a 911.
    Price tag? It costs more than a Boxster S and with some options, almost as much as a 911 Carrera.

So please enlighten me guys: why would somebody prefer a Cayman S over the Boxster S? Because of the soft top? A few thousand bucks more and you get a 911 Carrera. So where's the catch, what am I missing here? I'm willing to listen, to learn and to get a new perspective. But make no mistake: although I know about the enthusiasm of many journalists who testdrove the Cayman S already, I also know from people who actually know the Cayman S from scratch that this is actually a Boxster Coupe, nothing more and nothing less.

So again: WHY the Cayman S?

Actually RC, the difference stock-to-stock from Cayman to Carrera is slightly over $20K in my country, which is pretty significant dollars to me. As far as options go, you can easily make a Boxster S sticker for more than a base Carrera too.

Why would I buy an Cayman S? For the same reason I'd consider the Boxster... it's a terrific car, excellent driving dyanamics and more than enough power (for me). Is the fixed roof (and better looks IMO) plus 15 hp worth the $6K... well, for me it actually is. Not saying I don't think Porsche is overcharging for it... just that for me I would pay (I don't like cabrios, and the Cayman looks really good to my eye = worth $6K for me).

I have not driven a Cayman S or base 997, so I don't really know that much. But, in the handling department I'm pretty sure the Cayman at least matches the 997 (base) and in performance its only slightly behind. For 20K less, and the looks (which I like), the Cayman is not a bad deal.

A lot of folk do not want soft tops.

[Edit] I also feel it is an overstatement to say that the Cayman S is not even close in performance to the 997. Using the data from the first post, the Cayman S is only 1 sec. slower to 200 kph than a base Carrera, not a big margin for the price difference.

My top reasons....

Mid-engine handling.
    Better looking than either 997 or Boxster IMO.
    Hardtop.
    Price.

As I have always stated the Cayman S is overpriced and should be priced more in line with the Boxster S, but I'm not doing the cheap base 997 vs. a well optioned Cayman S deal either. I'd only end up with a 997 in a configuration I wouldn't want.....even if raw performance numbers favored it.....that's not what I'm looking for.

I definitely don't want a Boxster as I have no use for a ragtop.

So for me.....why not the Cayman S? It may not make sense to some but it makes perfect sense to me.

The question is? If a Cayman S with some nice options is only, let's say 5000-8000 USD away from a base 997, which car would you choose? I learned in the past that a lot of options in a Porsche don't pay off (resale for example) and a lot of options can be retrofitted later on through Tequipment.

BTW: the german car magazine AMS is a pretty Porsche-friendly magazine based in Stuttgart. The last comment about the poor-man's 911 was just a little hint about what they actually think, even if they put it the other way.

Again: the Cayman S is NOT a bad car and I'm sure it has the same Porsche genes people love in those cars from Porsche. But I'm just afraid that the Cayman S can't deliver what a lot of people are actually trying to see in it: a lightweight 911 competitor or a much better Boxster version. It isn't, not even close. It may be different with a Cayman RS or GT or Turbo or whatever. But til then, I think that a few people will be disappointed sooner or later. Especially after the first two years of euphoria and enthusiasm. I just hope that Porsche starts to build a very powerful Cayman version at some time in the future because otherwise, I don't see how it'll survive against the Boxster and the 911.

For the most part I agree with RC, but think it's going a little far to say the Boxster is not a sportscar. Maybe that was not the intended message? Granted it may not come close to the brilliance of the 997S, but in its segment, it does pretty well.

RC,
    Do you find the rear engine configuration of the 911 to be more engaging to drive, even though the Boxster's is theoretically "better"? Just asking for my own edification. In the U.S. at least, the Boxster is tuned to be very easy to drive and understeer unless you know how to provoke it.

- J

Why does everyone start out their argument with "... you could pay a little more and have a 911 " ????? Why do you think that we want a 911 ? Don't you think we would buy one if we wanted one ? I've owned a whole bunch of 911's, including 6 GT3 cup cars and 1 Gt3 street car. Now it's time to get what I've always wanted - a mid engine COUPE (capitalized for those who don't understand that a lot of serious track oriented drivers aren't interested in a ragtop) that has great performance and handling characteristics !! Hell, I've been waiting for Porsche to build this car ever since the first Boxster came out. It appears to me that some 911 owners feel threatened by this car; otherwise, why would they be so negative in their comments about it ? I'm definitely with Mike N on this one. Delivery in January - see you at the track !

Quote:
    Rick said:
    Now it's time to get what I've always wanted - a mid engine COUPE (capitalized for those who don't understand that a lot of serious track oriented drivers aren't interested in a ragtop) that has great performance and handling characteristics !! Hell, I've been waiting for Porsche to build this car ever since the first Boxster came out. It appears to me that some 911 owners feel threatened by this car; otherwise, why would they be so negative in their comments about it ? I'm definitely with Mike N on this one. Delivery in January - see you at the track !

Well, seems that the Porsche marketing department and dealers did the hell of a job, congrats.
    I know what you've waited for and believe me, I understand you very well. But you make the same mistake other Cayman S potential customers make: this is "just" a Boxster Coupe, not a mid engined track optimized sportscar.
    Porsche never had the intention to track race the Boxster.

And a last word (and I hope you don't hate me for saying this): there is a big difference between OWNING a car and DRIVING it. So if you owned that many 911, incl. GT3 cup cars, I don't want to insult you but trust me if I tell you, that you put your money on the wrong horse this time. Feeling "threatened" by a car? C'mon, you're not believing what you're saying. Despite the fact that even the standard 997 Carrera with standard suspension is more than 4 seconds faster on the Nordschleife than the Cayman S, I don't care. The reason why I love the 911 is the almost unique rear engine setup in the sportscar world. It provides the 911 with driving dynamics which even mid engined supersportscars could get problems with.

The "problems" of the Cayman S are weight, the fact that is is completely based on the Boxster and the engine power.
    With 100 kg less, a completely overworked chassis, wider rear and slightly wider front tires and at least 350 HP, the Cayman S would have been the hell of a little racer.
    Right now it is just a "fill-in" between the Boxster S and the 997 Carrera and unfortunately people fall for the gossip and marketing stuff all the way.

You want a track car? Stick with the 911 or get a Carrera GT. Even the 997 isn't fully track "capable", the "integrated" engine oil distribution system doesn't permit the usage of slicks.

You want the perfect track car? I suggest getting the upcoming 997 GT3. The latest rumors indicate a time of below 7:50 on the Nordschleife, the Cayman S is worlds away from this time.

But wait: if you tell me that you actually like the Cayman S because you like it's looks, I'm gonna buy THAT. This is a matter of personal taste and preferences. But please don't try to convince yourself that you're getting the perfect track car, you don't.

Quote:
    Rick said:
    Why does everyone start out their argument with "... you could pay a little more and have a 911 " ????? Why do you think that we want a 911 ? Don't you think we would buy one if we wanted one ? I've owned a whole bunch of 911's, including 6 GT3 cup cars and 1 Gt3 street car. Now it's time to get what I've always wanted - a mid engine COUPE (capitalized for those who don't understand that a lot of serious track oriented drivers aren't interested in a ragtop) that has great performance and handling characteristics !! Hell, I've been waiting for Porsche to build this car ever since the first Boxster came out. It appears to me that some 911 owners feel threatened by this car; otherwise, why would they be so negative in their comments about it ? I'm definitely with Mike N on this one. Delivery in January - see you at the track !

Uh. Sure. Its so fabulous. It might get you a 3 tenths of sec quicker per lap over a Boxster S on a 2.2 mile track.
    Enjoy it, just dont put slicks on it.

If you've ever driven a GT3 street car, then you know that it is a significant compromise on the street (at least as a daily driver). Perhaps that is where that Cayman shines, in that it could be utilized as both a daily driver and a trackday toy ! And you're right, it's also gorgeous.

Quote:
    Rick said:
    If you've ever driven a GT3 street car, then you know that it is a significant compromise on the street (at least as a daily driver). Perhaps that is where that Cayman shines, in that it could be utilized as both a daily driver and a trackday toy ! And you're right, it's also gorgeous.

You want a perfect daily driver and at the same time something you can smoke almost anything on the track? Get yourself a used 996 Turbo and tune it to 600 HP or slightly less. Not cheap but worth the money. One from our Rennteam staff has such a rocket, you won't believe how he puts me in my 997 CS behind, even at lower speeds. Perfect daily driver AND supersportscar, despite the installed Porsche sport suspension. Only when it was raining, those 997 Cup cars were able to get him on rain tires (our buddy is driving normal street tires).

Or you want a lightweight fun car for the track? Get a Lotus Elise, Caterham, Donkervoort or whatever. The Cayman just isn't it. But I guess you have to find it out for yourself, right?!

I didnt think the GT3 was a racuous bumpy lump to drive on the street. If anything, it feels just right.

Porsche's regular cars are way too soft and disguise too much of the fun. I dont care for buffered feedback. If hydraulic motor mounts and cushy subchassis bushings are your thing then go for it. Lack of a dry sump and the M96
    motors other faults scream out street use only.

You track it, your warranty is gone. Bingo. OBC black box recorders tell all these days.

If all we are talking about here are track cars and price vs. performance then every 997 and Cayman S owner here is a
    victim of the "Porsche marketing machine"....we should have all picked a spankin' new Z06 for $65K.....a car that will smoke either one on the street or at the track.

I feel a lot better only paying $65k for an excellent mid-engined Porsche sports car with all the goodies (my Cayman) than paying $20k - $30K for a 997S that will still fall to the much cheaper Z06. I bet those Boxster people are really laughing with what they have.

One more time....

Not every one wants a 911.....including me. I have owned a 996, extensively driven base and S model 997s and still like driving the Boxster S more than any of the above......it is much more pure fun to drive IMO and the Cayman will be as good or better. The 911S comes close with its raw power but still doesn't do it for me in the handling or looks department. If I won a 997 in a lottery I would promptly sell it and buy a Cayman S pocketing the extra money.....and still be VERY happy with the decision.

I had a 996TT and it was a really great car, I drove it to work, shopping and track day. It was almost 100% satisfied me, except it's a bit old now. I love to drive new model so this is one of the reason I ordered a Cayman S. Another reason is this is a 2 seater sport coupe from PORSCHE.

Quote:
    MikeN said:

Not every one wants a 911.....including me...

Same for me, at this moment I totally has no interest on it, 2 main reasons.

1) The look still too boring (with GT3 kit looks a bit better)
    2) Not enough horse power to be a 911 (let see how the 997TT will be going)

To be honest, if the 997TT will not have more than 500bhp and sequential gear box, very likely it won't be on my list.

For Cayman S, I won't take it too serious since it is not a serious sport car to me.

pls guys, just get a Boxster S and get a good deal on a hard-top. i m sure they have trouble selling those....

forget about the Cayman.... seriously....

Quote:
    derder said:
    pls guys, just get a Boxster S and get a good deal on a hard-top. i m sure they have trouble selling those....

forget about the Cayman.... seriously....

Well most independent reviews state the Cayman is a couple of notches above the Boxster S.
    One average review and the Boxster S hairdresser and 911 snobs dive in, you weren't doing that when other reviews questioned the need for a base 997 and justified the pricing of the Cayman in the Porsche line up.

Quote:
    Chris Lo said:
    I had a 996TT and it was a really great car, I drove it to work, shopping and track day. It was almost 100% satisfied me, except it's a bit old now. I love to drive new model so this is one of the reason I ordered a Cayman S. Another reason is this is a 2 seater sport coupe from PORSCHE.

Your statements are somehow confusing. First, you say you owned a 996 Turbo but it was kind of too old(?) and you ordered a Cayman S because it is a 2-seater sport coupe from Porsche. Sounds OK but...then you state in a second post that the 911 doesn't have enough power and if the 997 Turbo doesn't have at least 500 HP, you won't go for it.

Would you please explain? I mean the Turbo isn't powerful enough for you but you go for a Cayman S???

Quote:
    toplad said:
    Well most independent reviews state the Cayman is a couple of notches above the Boxster S.

The only independent reviews are available from owners (which don't exist yet ) and from Rennteam.com.
    All the other reviews are biased in a direction or another, most of them have been written by journalists who drive home in a VW Golf/etc. and are in no way connected to Porsche cars at all.

AMS is a pretty Porsche-friendly car magazine, so their review will be one of the best you'll ever read, I hope you get my point.

Again I have to admire the Porsche marketing for their marvelous job they did, people actually started to believe that the Cayman S is the superb lightweight mid-engined coupe everybody was waiting for. Porsche didn't even bother to change the interior a little bit, not to speak about the exterior. I suppose somebody from the design department added the round lights in the front bumper to at least make it somehow look different compared to the Boxster.
    And the Cayman S engine is an "old" friend, of course updated, from the 996.
    So don't try to lie yourself that you're getting the hell of a track car, the real thing you get is a Boxster S with a fixed roof for more money. Period. If you can live with that, you got yourself a very nice little sportscar. If you have higher expectations, you'll be highly disappointed sooner or later. But what do I know, we're just running this forum and don't have a clue what we're talking about.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    toplad said:

The only independent reviews are available from owners (which don't exist yet ) and from Rennteam.com.
    All the other reviews are biased in a direction or another, most of them have been written by journalists who drive home in a VW Golf/etc. and are in no way connected to Porsche cars at all.

AMS is a pretty Porsche-friendly car magazine, so their review will be one of the best you'll ever read, I hope you get my point.

I get your point, but why is it you choose to believe one of the few negative reviews and ignore the positive ones, even though you say there are no independent reviews yet? Yet you still believe this review. Nothing to do with the fact you're try'in to justify the 911 purchase you've made

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777092 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441656 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262760 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260925 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85183 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5560 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880633 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815875 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM