Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Downsides of Cab ownership?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    If someones wants to be a total ******* with a simple pocket knife it can become a WMD on a canvas top.

It would be almost easier and faster to just smash the side window glass on your coupe. Can you imagine cutting the top and trying to crawl in through the cut?

Phil

Show Me Your Cab Pics!

Since I'm obsessing you can make it harder/easier for me by showing some cab pics.

My current car is Seal/Black but I have this hankering for Basalt/Sand. Anyone got a better combo?

MTIA

Re: Show Me Your Cab Pics!

How's this one?

I've ordered a 997C2 S cab seal grey/ocean blue/metrople blue top. Never actually seen that combo, but it sounds cool, its arriving in dec will post pics then.One question does anyone have PSE with their cab? Cause i'm thinking of installing it from the dealer but their quoting $2,600!!??

CABS RULE!!!!!!!

If anyone has pics of a seal gery/blue top please post. the wait is killing me....

I agree, the coupe is the car to have, NOT

Quote:
    Persuader said:
    I have had the 997 coupe and the cab. The cab is amazing. it all looks best when you put the wind deflector up - makes it look like a 2 seat speedster.

You mean like a Boxster ... all these Boxster wannabees

Quote:
    zakki said:
    If anyone has pics of a seal gery/blue top please post. the wait is killing me....

Good luck with that combo!!

The best you could do is look at the P config site and then visualize it from there.

Not too sure myself - sounds a bit uncomprimising...

AFAIK, it's not possible to get -20mm sports suspension in Europe for a cab. (I know you can't get -20mm in the US anyway for coupes). For me, the handling is key. -20mm is only available for coupes in Europe with manual transmission and 19" wheels.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    AFAIK, it's not possible to get -20mm sports suspension in Europe for a cab. (I know you can't get -20mm in the US anyway for coupes). For me, the handling is key. -20mm is only available for coupes in Europe with manual transmission and 19" wheels.

IS it not possible to lower the cab by 20mm youself?

Quote:
    Zürich said:
    Quote:
    Persuader said:
    I have had the 997 coupe and the cab. The cab is amazing. it all looks best when you put the wind deflector up - makes it look like a 2 seat speedster.

You mean like a Boxster ... all these Boxster wannabees

Urrrh.........No - It looks a million times better than a boxster, I thought they were just around to get for your chick

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    997 S Cab said:
    I got my cab two months ago. Thought I would be very happy every day. WRONG. Not every day. I was often disappointed because the weather has not been very nice. You can have so much fun on the days you can put the top down. Some times even with the seat heater turned on. But, when the weather is not good, I have to leave my baby home and drive my BMW sedan to work. Now, I only wish I can have a coupe also. I believe my wife will divorce in a heart beat if I dare to mention this idea.

You live in New Jersey for gawwds sakes, what did you think would happen? Sudden climate change with Palm trees on your street and a desert oasis blooming in Trenton just because you got a Cab? Hola! You live in New Jersey, not San Diego!

LOL ! He just missed the best convertible weather we've had in years too. June, July, August even September was beautiful. Cabs rule, everyone else can bitch and drool.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Another thing. Since Cabs are very commonplace in LA, nobody notices you. In most other places, maybe where you reside, when you're driving around the your neighborhood, your town, everybody will naturally or quite intentionally stare at you. Some are happy for you, keeping track of you and who you're with, most wanna know who's driving that way-too-nice car and enjoying it way-too-much. Your decision might depend how much MORE attention you can tolerate.

Also I think the cab is noisier at highway speeds.

If someones wants to be a total ******* with a simple pocket knife it can become a WMD on a canvas top.

Pont 1 - F everybody else. I'm so tired of hearing that crap here, really am. Some of you people it's amazing you don't walk around with survey cards and permission slips asking for everyone's approval before taking a chit ! Damn. People are too busy thinking about themselves to be worrying about if you're driving a Porsche coupe or convertible and who you're with. ?? . I can't imagine someone spending time judging me. And if they do and judge me poorly, then F em. Who cares.
    Get what makes you happy.

Point 2 - Drive a 997 cab first then comment about highway speed noise. It' as quiet as a coupe. And with the top down you can enjoy the engine and exhaust especially if you have PSE. But if you already think the 997 is too loud without PSE (as I think you do) then yes hearing the engine and exhaust in a cab would be too much for you.

Point 3 - And if someone wants to be a "*******" they don't even need a "simple pocket knife" they could key your coupe's paint or kick in the fender, whatever.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

It would be almost easier and faster to just smash the side window glass on your coupe. Can you imagine cutting the top and trying to crawl in through the cut?

Phil

You and I think too much alike. That's like the 10th time I've posted something and then seen you already said it. You know what they say about Great Minds.

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Since I'm obsessing you can make it harder/easier for me by showing some cab pics.

My current car is Seal/Black but I have this hankering for Basalt/Sand. Anyone got a better combo?

MTIA

Damn, that's a good looking shot .

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Damn, that's a good looking shot .

THANKS Ron

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Pont 1 - F everybody else. I'm so tired of hearing that crap here, really am. Some of you people it's amazing you don't walk around with survey cards and permission slips asking for everyone's approval before taking a chit ! Damn. People are too busy thinking about themselves to be worrying about if you're driving a Porsche coupe or convertible and who you're with. ?? . I can't imagine someone spending time judging me. And if they do and judge me poorly, then F em. Who cares.

We used to live in Wellesley, MA. If you want to "live" there you DO start caring. You naturally want to conform and not stick out; do your networking with all the nice people. If you want to be a rebel, that's fine, in sixty seconds you're labelled a rebel: game over. Sad but true.

More Cab horror. Beware of where you park. One of the first times I saw the new Boxster on the street (top down) some kid with all the hep-I'm-young-and-angry clothing (not gonna describe it) intentionally flicked his lit cigarette into the car. My wife and another bystander who saw it fished it out. Hey, it's almost Halloween.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

We used to live in Wellesley, MA. If you want to "live" there you DO start caring. You naturally want to conform and not stick out; do your networking with all the nice people. If you want to be a rebel, that's fine, in sixty seconds you're labelled a rebel: game over. Sad but true.

Don't smart car guys tend to choose to live in regions/certain 'burbs and work in businesses where they can enjoy their toys w/minimal odds of hassle/jealousy/punitive treatment????

And if they're not in "friendly" settings, don't they just stash their toys at second houses in more car-friendly places? Seem to run into lots of guys from awful places back East who have houses in LA/SF regions to enjoy their toys in more optimal settings....

If one is stuck in cities/businesses where expensive sportscars/cars create social/business "costs", it's just part of cost of living/cost of doing business for a car nut.....
    Perhaps that allegedly cheaper housing in places like Boston/NYC/Chicago, etc isn't so cheap vs CA after all....

Quote:
    MMD said:
    More Cab horror. Beware of where you park. One of the first times I saw the new Boxster on the street (top down) some kid with all the hep-I'm-young-and-angry clothing (not gonna describe it) intentionally flicked his lit cigarette into the car. My wife and another bystander who saw it fished it out.

And if you parked your coupe with the window or sunroof open he could have flicked his lit cigarette into your car. What does that prove? If someone is going to mess with your car it makes no difference if it is a cab or coupe. Worrying about a possible vandalism is not a reason to choose a coupe over a cab. Both can be equally damaged.

Phil

Quote:
    MMD said:
    More Cab horror. Beware of where you park. One of the first times I saw the new Boxster on the street (top down) some kid with all the hep-I'm-young-and-angry clothing (not gonna describe it) intentionally flicked his lit cigarette into the car. My wife and another bystander who saw it fished it out. Hey, it's almost Halloween.

if you're gonna leave your car out with the top down, frankly, you can't expect anything else. I never ever leave the top down unless i know i'm only gone a short time, or i have a clear view of my car. It doesn't take that long to put up. The added security is worth it.

Porsche has done a couple of things that has enhanced the cab experience-Glass rear window and the ability to operate the top while in gear (less than 30 mph). This combined with a very quite interior cabin with the top up or down has greatly improved my 997 cab over my 996 cab.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

What are you talking about ?

Quote:
    MMD said:

Whatever.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

MMD,

The problem with Wellesley is it's in the Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts, which means to "fit in," you might as well ride a bike. So listen to Stradale and stop fretting about what others think about your car.

I guess another downside of owning a cab is having to defend yourself against offensive comments from a few 911 coupe and Boxster owners.

MMD, you need a vacation, bro....

Check out St. Barth's in the Carribean, it's near paradise on earth.

To have a 997 Turbo Cab or 997 C4S Cab with factory hardtop for year-round romps would be the ultimate! I'm feeling a slippery slope under my feet tilting in that direction.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778449 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442119 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262997 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261282 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85528 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5742 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880957 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816741 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM