Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Thanks, it is always very interesting to read his input!

Indeed. Nice interview.

So my car just got transported back to Vancouver last Friday. I had it dropped off at the dealership for an inspection as at the end of the trip I had a check engine light plus I managed to ran over a rock during one of the canyon drives through LA. I heard a crunch sound and knew I had broken something expensive.

It got up on a hoist today, one of the turning vanes is crumbling from the impact and needed to be replaced.

IMG_2145.JPG

But that's not the expensive bit.

The rock also managed to puncture an underbody panel cover.

IMG_2144.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

This panel is the single biggest panel underneath the car and the replacement cost is over 20k!

The check engine light was for a 'blocked radiator fan'. Translation, pebbles got stuck on the fan motor.

--

Ouch is all I can say....the entire lower panel? Ouch! By comparison, that makes the broken brake ducts I'm fixing seem cheap. 

Ouch, that has to be the most expensive rock on the road... Sorry to hear that... 

Ooofff... behold the disadvantage of CFRP... it is sexy af, but quite vulnerable to impacts, difficult to repair and expensive to produce... Well, hope they'll have your replacement part installed soon! On the other hand will you be driving the 918 in the winter in Vancouver?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

You might want to PM mike and ask him how he repaired CF floor pan on his CGT.

Ouch, "most expensive rock on the road" describes it perfectly, sorry to hear that. enlightened

I never liked the CF parts at sensible locations, I never ticked the boxes for "rear diffusor in CF" for example mainly because such reason (and cost smiley).

Does anybody know the weight difference between CF and some polymer? Can't be that much IMO, but would be waaayyy cheaper.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

Ouch, "most expensive rock on the road" describes it perfectly, sorry to hear that. enlightened

I never liked the CF parts at sensible locations, I never ticked the boxes for "rear diffusor in CF" for example mainly because such reason (and cost smiley).

Does anybody know the weight difference between CF and some polymer? Can't be that much IMO, but would be waaayyy cheaper.

Replacement cost for my R8 rear wing is 4500 EUR or so. Rear diffusor is around 6000 EUR. Front lip is around 2500 EUR or so. Smiley I wish I knew that when I was driving the car in Italy but I was lucky, nothing happened. These parts aren't even really full CF...I think...more some sort of a material mix.

Carbon looks nice and may have some certain advantages but I agree with you, some better quality "plastic" parts cannot be that much heavier or worse in rigidity in certain regions of the car where structural integrity isn't a serious issue.

I feel so sorry for Nick, this really hurts when your "baby" gets damaged. Smiley I just hope his insurance is going to pay for that. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

its just a panel, nothing major for car and engine, drive the hell out of 918 Nick 

You could probably get one made for a fraction of that cost, no? It's just a giant flat piece of carbon, right? The mark-up on that Porsche piece is probably 1000%.

Unless there is worry about something getting in there, you could probably just patch it and call it a day. Superficial damage otherwise.

The car should stay in the garage and be pampered like a queen, never go out , under any circumstance . Engine never turned on... you never know what could happen and it will make the exhaust dirty . smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:

The car should stay in the garage and be pampered like a queen, never go out , under any circumstance . Engine never turned on... you never know what could happen and it will make the exhaust dirty . smiley

Your comments may not be far from the truth. I think its bullshit what Nick has had to put up with this million dollar car. Now pebbles damage the underside and he needs to spend $20,000 to replace it? it is a given that debris from the street will hit the under carriage and the design of the car should withstand those eventualities.Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

Gnil:

Smiley

Sarcasm. I like.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

nberry:
    Gnil:

Your comments may not be far from the truth. I think its bullshit what Nick has had to put up with this million dollar car. Now pebbles damage the underside and he needs to spend $20,000 to replace it? it is a given that debris from the street will hit the under carriage and the design of the car should withstand those eventualities.Smiley

It is a million dollar science project. Not a tank. 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

nberry:
    Gnil:

It's not $20K to fix, it's $20K for Porsche to fix. The part is worth pennies on the dollar if it was function over form, or sold by someone else. 

I'd patch it. It's not structural or seen unless it's on a lift. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Composites have a habit of further splitting w/ vibration.  Any repair would require some drilling out the ends of the cracks and some glue.  Whether to repair or not depends on your OCD level.

These can be patched quite easily. As you said, it depends how OCD you are and when you're going to sell it. I wouldn't dump $20K into this repair unless I planned on selling it soon.

Here is a pic of the damage with my finger as a size reference

IMG_2152.JPG

This is a gigantic piece

IMG_2154.JPG

And of course, it is made in China!

IMG_2153.JPG

Very dirty, I know. Those were dusty from my track. My mechanic forgot to take a pic of the engine bay when he did the yearly service, it looks like a dust bomb has been exploded in there. 

It should be repairable, my mechanic build stuff out of carbon fiber on the side too and he thinks even the crumpling turning vane can be repaired.

I am OCD, but not to a point where I am gonna put in a new panel. or even a turning vane. These stuff goes under the car, the only person that will ever see it is my mechanic. And they WILL get damaged again. 

The point of repairing was to keep it water tight. With that little hole and me driving back from SF to LA in the rain already has stuff stuck to the underbody which he has to clean out. 

And the lucky thing is, the rock impacted at 1 of 2 spots that has a void on the other side, if it had hit anywhere else it would have damaged something important!

--

Nick, that is good news. But why should you have to be concerned whenever you drive the car? Porsche should make this right. This is a million dollar car designed for high speed tracking and public road driving. The carbon underside should be able to withstand small impediments striking it. Given that you're a valued client, I would speak with Porsche about replacing the underside as a goodwill gesture. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Half ass repair is not warranted for this car.enlightened

--

The underbody panels are pretty strong. I ran over a really good sized rock you know........................

There are other stuff that I did to the underbody toot other times, bottoming out and such, and those carbon turning vanes took some really good beating. 

As for the good will, I am not gonna waste it on a underbody panel, there might be other more important stuff in the future. 

Oh also they are not really quite off the hook yet for paying for something on my car, they might have to shell out for a new front e-motor in my car. It is making some unusual sound and my mechanic is asking Germany about it smiley

--

The cost of repair is peanuts compared to the profit they made off you and will continue to make off you.indecision

--

nberry:

The cost of repair is peanuts compared to the profit they made off you and will continue to make off you.indecision

No, buying that 918 is an awesome investment, as it puts you in the VIP club for many years of lucrative options on limited models.  Even if he didn't like the 918 that well (which he obviously does), it was a very smart buy! Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

nberry:

Nick, that is good news. But why should you have to be concerned whenever you drive the car? Porsche should make this right. This is a million dollar car designed for high speed tracking and public road driving. The carbon underside should be able to withstand small impediments striking it. Given that you're a valued client, I would speak with Porsche about replacing the underside as a goodwill gesture. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Half ass repair is not warranted for this car.enlightened

Unfortunately, he is correct that this will happen again.  From an engineering perspective, Porsche was trying to shave every pound off the car.  For someone who actually uses their car heavily, something like aluminum is a better option.  Once you pick carbon, it is going to be vulnerable to larger rocks.

In my track group, many people forwent the fancy carbon diffusers in favor of aluminum ones even though the latter added a costly 4-5 .lbs to the back fo the car, not where you want weight hanging off.

Why get aluminum? Just get cheap hard plastic.

Cause carbon reinforced plastic is already hard plastic, but lighter and tougher. 

Aluminum will be a bit heavier but more elastic, as in during an impact it might dent instead of break.

--

One must consider the last Ng term provenance of the vehicle at the 918's price point. I'd order the CF panel one part as cheaply as possible, store it, and use whatever alternative you felt was appropriate now. At some point you'll want it all back tooriginal spec, and Porsche parts don't go down in price...

Please forgive my autocorrect drama above

yup...just repair it....and if needed, it can always be replaced in the future. its just some underbody dings....patina on a supercar that actually gets driven kiss

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689786 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255807 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774198 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM