Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: What they're saying about Cayman vs. 997

Totally agree Boss

Well spoken Bossman. At the end of the day I believe the Cayman is targeted to those youngsters among us that want a slightly more "spicy" look to their vehicle and from a financial standpoint, because they are younger they don't have the wherewithall to spend that kind of coin. I recall somewhere that the avge age of a 911 owner is mid to late 40's and while there are those among us 911 owners that are in their 20's, I'm pretty sure that most buyers of the cayman will be probably be in their late 20's early 30's. I too grew up with having only one car as my dream car, but the more recent generations I believe want something different than the 911. Porsche is a genius at figuring out what there buyers are into and they know very well that the 997 is somewhat of a throwback to the 993 days but with better technology/performance behind it and has brought back a lot of the buyers that were disenchanted with the 996 design. Cayman will be succesful but it will not be because they converted 911 buyers but rather attracted a whole new generation of porshce buyers.

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    Well spoken Bossman. At the end of the day I believe the Cayman is targeted to those youngsters among us that want a slightly more "spicy" look to their vehicle and from a financial standpoint, because they are younger they don't have the wherewithall to spend that kind of coin. I recall somewhere that the avge age of a 911 owner is mid to late 40's and while there are those among us 911 owners that are in their 20's, I'm pretty sure that most buyers of the cayman will be probably be in their late 20's early 30's. I too grew up with having only one car as my dream car, but the more recent generations I believe want something different than the 911. Porsche is a genius at figuring out what there buyers are into and they know very well that the 997 is somewhat of a throwback to the 993 days but with better technology/performance behind it and has brought back a lot of the buyers that were disenchanted with the 996 design. Cayman will be succesful but it will not be because they converted 911 buyers but rather attracted a whole new generation of porshce buyers.

I think you hit the nail on the head. There are always exceptions, but I also believe the Cayman will appeal to a different buyer... But I think that they'll also bring in the fun-loving senior citizen as well. In the U.S. at least, DC and Scion are quickly learning that when they fish for younger customers, they wind up with a TON of unanticipated fun-seeking seniors in their nets!!!

All sports cars are toys, some more or less expensive, some with more or less performance, some more or less engineered, but toys nonetheless. The purpose of a sports car is enjoyment from the driving experience rather than just the task of transportation. Many sports cars can deliver that pleasure irrespective of price, prestige, or the other's guys opinion of your social standing or sexual orientation. If nothing else, Porsche's management seems to grasp that little nugget of reality.

Who knows maybe the Cayman will become the next "chick car?"

I think this hype can be compared to the Boxster when it came out. At that time the Boxster looked similar to the 911(from the front anyway) and it was a lot less $$. Many thought it would cannabalize on the 911. Now they are closing in a little more on the 911 with the Cayman but there's still a distinction and market for both. Let's wait and see.

Maybe I should clarify, as practically anything can be considered a "toy".

My use of the word "toy" was in juxtaposition to size and perception, not intended use. A flippin Prevost Coach could be considered a "toy", but a Miata LOOKS like a kid's toy. I'm not saying the Cayman is a Miata, I'm saying that it's just over the line for me, too much on the little/cute looking side.

I stand by my original analogy, that the Cayman is kinda like the 911's little brother Boxster, dressed in a scary Halloween costume, wired and amped-up and running full-tilt on sugary candy. Now maybe little brother can hold his own with big brother, but... he's not fooling anybody with that peach fuzz on his face!!

This is all just silly semantics on my part folks, pay little attention....

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    The Cayman/Boxster platform, for me, crosses the line between sports car and toy car. I'm not a toy car kinda guy, no matter whether it handles like an F1 car, or costs less than it's bigger brothers. Cars like the Lotus Elise, Honda S2000, BMW Z4, and Boxster/Cayman all fall flat on their face with me when it comes to my PERCEPTION of them. You can call that silly on my part, but if you want to be realistic, perception is ALL that really counts, as it's the way that any given automobile communicates with YOU and relates to YOU.

If Aston Martin created a nicely accomplished $80-90K cutesy-fruitesy gymkahna model, that looked somewhat like it's bigger brothers, but had this Miata-ish cuteness and frivolity about it (like the Cayman and Boxster do to my eyes), I'd be equally uninterested.

My problem with the Cayman is the side profile. The car really has some slick and sinister looks to it, but then when you see it from the side, you realize it's just the 911's little kid brother wearing a halloween costume.

My 997 not only is the perfect size for me, perfect package, wonderful driving dynamics, etc...., it also oozes attitude and confidence from ALL angles. It doesn't look like a tarted-up toy car. Price savings and improved handling balance be-damned, you'll never see a jealous 997 owner lusting after a Cayman next to him at a traffic light, nor will you ever see a Cayman owner that doesn't still wish his Cayman could look just like the 997 that pulls away from him at that trafic light. The 911 shape is iconic, it's harmony, it's timeless. The Cayman is just a cool looking car that harkens back to some older Porsche designs that came and went.

I'm not in any way discounting it's driving prowess. I'm just saying that for my dollars, I want the whole enchilada. I'm not giving up my work of art just to be a bit less tail-happy, and save a bit of money. I wouldn't be so close to a 911, within 80% of it, and stop short and drive off the lot in a Cayman, childhood dream still unfulfilled. I didn't grow up dreaming of buying a new Cayman....

Boss.. once again, WELL SAID, couldn't agree more.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:

I stand by my original analogy, that the Cayman is kinda like the 911's little brother Boxster, dressed in a scary Halloween costume, wired and amped-up and running full-tilt on sugary candy. Now maybe little brother can hold his own with big brother, but... he's not fooling anybody with that peach fuzz on his face!!

This is all just silly semantics on my part folks, pay little attention....

Lol Boss!

Hi to all.

I'm a newbie to this great site and just went through the process of deciding among the Cayman S, the base 997, and the 997S. I ordered the C2S as I'm older (nearly 58, and maybe this will be my first and last Porsche so why not spend the extra 20,000 US Dollars), it's the real icon of sports cars, and I satisfied myself that it will give me the combination of speed, handling, and driveability that I want.

Finally, I remember the time I first saw a Porsche, 40 years ago this month. It was a red 356C. I guess that vision of a classy sports car stuck in my mind. The folks at Porsche certainly know how to tap into that market.

Jim

Absolutely Jim... My brother bought a new 911 cab in 1984, I begged and pleaded with him for months just to take it around the block at my tender age of 16. He finally caved, I went and picked up my girlfriend, we went driving. and I knew I would own one someday. I have great respect for the other cars in the line, but for me, it was the 911 or nothing. Since that day, I've spent the last 22 years getting chills everytime I saw one. There were other things (much smarter) that I should have done with the money. I am not one of the owners who is living in a 4000 sq foot house with multiple exotics in the 4 car garage, it was a personal decision to get my dream car now, and put some other things on hold. My parents are very conservative, and let me tell you, some eyebrows were raised when they found out. However no way do I regret it, it's an absurd amount of money for a car, and worth every penny. It's true that the 997 becomes one with the driver, it has a soul, and I will always own a Porsche. Enjoy yours in good health my friend

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Absolutely Jim... My brother bought a new 911 cab in 1984, I begged and pleaded with him for months just to take it around the block at my tender age of 16. He finally caved, I went and picked up my girlfriend, we went driving. and I knew I would own one someday. I have great respect for the other cars in the line, but for me, it was the 911 or nothing. Since that day, I've spent the last 22 years getting chills everytime I saw one. There were other things (much smarter) that I should have done with the money. I am not one of the owners who is living in a 4000 sq foot house with multiple exotics in the 4 car garage, it was a personal decision to get my dream car now, and put some other things on hold. My parents are very conservative, and let me tell you, some eyebrows were raised when they found out. However no way do I regret it, it's an absurd amount of money for a car, and worth every penny. It's true that the 997 becomes one with the driver, it has a soul, and I will always own a Porsche. Enjoy yours in good health my friend

Welcome Jim!

Thanks for the super welcome greggr107 and SVNSVN.

I have really learned a lot about the 911 from all of the members of this site as I have been browsing it, without joining it, for some time. And I would like to thank all the members for the questions, comments, and insights that all helped me make my decision.

I live in western Virginia and there are plenty of 2-lane roads that wind their way through the mountains. Driving some of them one day about 18 months ago gave me the idea that I had better get the car I always wanted, a Porsche. These roads truly are in "Porsche Country."

I really expect to have the greatest time driving them in my 911S, and maybe I'll eventually do a little track time after I learn enough about the car and get some miles under my belt.

Like you, greggr107, I'm not loaded with cash, but I've been able to squirrel away enough so that I only need a modest loan to complete the deal.

I drove the Boxster S, but I didn't want a convertible. The Cayman S at first didn't sound like a bad idea, but as my brother said to me, why don't you go for the brass ring and get the 911S. Heck, I even tried out a Corvette C6 with the Z51 handling package. Riding in the 'Vette on a city street, at 25 mph, my teeth chattered uncontrollably. At speed, it handling good but I got the feeling I lost touch with the road. Not so with the 911S. That PASM and the Porsche suspension and chassis made all the difference in the world. The 'Vette may be $30K cheaper, but my final impression was that it was a car that was not complete.

No, it had to be the 911S for me. I kept the order simple: Basalt Black Metallic paint (kept the interior black, too), the Sports Chrono Plus, heated seats, and the TPMS. I thought about getting the sports shifter, but I guess I can always get that added on at a later date.

Now, the wait. I put in the order on Oct. 24. The salesman said that they'll send in the order this Friday, Oct. 28 (I suspect he wants my deposit check to clear and also give me some time to change my order). He expects production in January and delivery in February. I assume that will hold unless there are order cancellations that speed up delivery of my car.

Anyway, thanks once again for the super welcome. I'll post some pictures when I take delivery!

Regards,

Jim

Sounds great, Jim! Congratulations!

I'm pretty sure Black is the most popular color on Rennteam.

I think the last several posts on this thread illustrate why the Cayman will enhance Porsche's lineup, but take little away from the 911, better than I could relate with 10,000 words.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I think the last several posts on this thread illustrate why the Cayman will enhance Porsche's lineup, but take little away from the 911, better than I could relate with 10,000 words.

Bossman I like your words, but my poor little dictionary is begging for mercy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777336 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441734 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262796 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260977 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85249 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5584 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880662 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816002 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM