Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 4S...

Very true, Ocean!

I believe one of the main reasons, is that there are so many wonderful places to see in the USA. Also, unfortunately, most Americans don't know near enough about Europe.

As you know brother, I'm there next year!

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    I bought a 997SCab because I wanted one! The Boxter is lacking in style and heritage

The BOXSTER and the 911 are both Porsches so they same the same heritage do they not? The only difference in ancestry is that the 911's ancestry is the wartime Beetle. I am afraid that your attitude is snobbery, pure and simple. They are both fine cars, be in no doubt.

Yes they are both great cars,but in my opinion not really a comparison ; The 911 is an all involving iconic sports car
    Also if i lived in a hotter climate i may well have chose to but a 997s cab instead of my 997s,even though they dont handle as well as the coupe they have obvious advantages .

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Chill Dude!

Save all your insults- there are plenty to go around. I much prefer to get personal when it's face to face, because any coward can be brave on a forum.

BTW, you make some pretty valid points. I still prefer the 997 4S Cab for many reasons( or any 911), and I don't fit in a Boxster or Cayman. All great cars- IMO! It's great that we have such choices.

Peace out !

Only playing

I love fishing but it is too damn cold here so I thought I would try a bit of indoor instead.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    The cab has a certain amount of extra weight that is immediately felt through the right pedal. It does not have the initial response of the coupe and feels almost lethargic in comparison.

It also suffers from 'scuttle shake' but more importantly that lack of rigidity is felt under hard cornering where it feels floaty and aloof as if it has a mind of its own. It loses the sports car feel and takes on more of a GT persona which is cool if Porsche didn't already make a Sports convertible.

Unfortunately the Boxster treads on the 911 Cab comprehensively offering that same sense of 'wind in the hair freedom' but in a more compact better executed sports car.

Take both cars down a twisting country road with the roof off and apart from the smugness of the 911 driver having the more expensive car, the Boxster owner will never feel short changed. He/she will enjoy the immediacy of a car designed to have its roof chopped off and the sharpness of controls and will not be subject to a marketing exercise to extract a few more $ out of their customers.

Arguments aside,
    I've owned a Boxster S (252hp) and a 996 4 cab (320hp).
    JJR is right in the sense that I never found in the 911 the nimbleness of the Boxster, the car would just jump from one corner to the other, so light and agile, awesome stuff.
    What I had on the other hand with the 911 was more power you could feel in a straight line, more grip and a meatier steering feel.
    After over three years of Porsche ownership, I guess I've wisened up about the marketing aspect of owning a "legendary" 911, so if I wanted an open top car, it would be a Boxster S without a doubt.
    If you want a "real" 911, you buy a 993 Carrera anyway.

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    . . .if I wanted an open top car, it would be a Boxster S without a doubt.

Instead of a 911 Turbo S Cab?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    GA997S said:
    I bought a 997SCab because I wanted one! The Boxter is lacking in style and heritage

The BOXSTER and the 911 are both Porsches so they same the same heritage do they not? The only difference in ancestry is that the 911's ancestry is the wartime Beetle. I am afraid that your attitude is snobbery, pure and simple. They are both fine cars, be in no doubt.

I LOVE both cars and yes, obviously theyr both Porsche's, but sorry to say, in most peoples minds the 911 will always be "more Porsche" than the Boxster. Its because the 911 'made' the brand + it has more history with motorsport and all that. The 911 is MUCH older than the Boxster, so there will be more sentimental value to that name.

I'll take a 911 over a Boxster anyday, but that does not mean I'm saying that the Boxy is a crap car. Its an excellent car actually and one of the worlds best handlers infact, but the main thing about driving a 911 is the fact that you have to be a moderately good driver to extract that last 10% of its performance(although this has changed a bit with the newer models), while in the Boxster, you can just get in and blow most other cars on the road away...

Like I said... The Boxster is a brilliant car and indead congrats to all who own one, but the 911 just suits ME better...

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

Or a Carrera GT / MC12 for that matter??

Well said BC997J, I actually own a 987S which i feel is a fantastic car that handles superbly however i love the shape, heritage power, practicality etc etc of the 911..i am already drooling over it. trust me...when i can afford to buy my 997S within a couple yrs I certainly will not look down on the boxsters or their owners!

On a side note, I do prefer the classic 996 4S to the 997 4S.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

BC, cheecky man!
    Turbo cab belongs to supercar category, at least performance wise.
    It's more like a missile with special brushing option. Great car but IMHO not necessarily more fun than a Boxster (It will trump a Boxster in a straight line of course but the latter will be more playfun on twisties and sound much better).
    See, the thing is, a 997 4S cab is much closer to a Boxster S than the upcoming Turbo cab, or even the 996 Turbo cab for that matter.
    CGT and MC12 are track cars, and designed as open cars, open shell, well, the CGT at least.

This may strike some here as odd but IF the Boxster came in an AWD version, I would have bought one in a heartbeat and saved myself some $$. Because there is no such animal, when I heard Porsche was offering an AWD 911, I ordered myself a 2006 997 911 Carrera 4 Cab.

Did you finish grade school?

You make yourself look like a complete pr*ck with your ignorance of the world. It's a shame that learning about the world is something you seem not to have mastered yet. Until you've been there and understood it don't make crass comments that are clearly not based on any fact whatsoever.

Your attitudes on this forum make you the poster child for why many people around the world hate the USA. Just think about that for a moment before you send back another childish response...

Re: Did you finish grade school?

Oh please Mr. PC, give me a break! I think, Le Chef, if you take the time to read back in the posts on this topic you'll see I was saying I didn't think anyone here should be criticized for getting a Tip or a Cab. After that it degenerated into a poster's rather rude and crude comments and attacks on me, the President, and this country. I'll take HALF the responsibility for my sarcastic side coming out but the other 50% goes to the fellow who brought it down to his level. This isn't about learning about the world, it's about being attacked for a transmission choice or a type of top on a Porsche and then defending myself. Read into it what you will. I will say no more about this thank you. I'm a Mensa member (look THAT up), have advanced degrees, AND also have a Passport so you could NOT be more wrong. Could you?

dweiser,

Not that you need any back up, but I agree with you.I also don't understand why some feel it necessary to slam a particular option, color or model. If it's a Porsche, it's all great to me.If that makes me a poseur-so be it.

I hope we can all try to stay on topic- the cars we love so much!

BTW, I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in the past- I know I can get very passionate about the Country and President I adore.

Advanced degrees? MENSA? Passport?

Quote:
    Poseur (dweiser) said:
    Maybe we don't visit because cretins like YOU live there?
    Ever think of that?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I think you proved the point

I believe everyone should buy what he wants..
    first - becuase it's his money..
    second - not everyone buys a porsche for the race track..

Mensa - international society founded in 1946 for people whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population

cool.. dweiser is a smart dude

Thanks Guys

Let's go back to discussing our beloved P-cars no matter what color, make, model, accessories or country we find them in.

Re: Advanced degrees? MENSA? Passport?

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    Quote:
    Poseur (dweiser) said:
    Maybe we don't visit because cretins like YOU live there?
    Ever think of that?
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I think you proved the point

Thanks Chef for saying exactly what I thought!

Gosh, guys, look, I leave you all alone for a week and look what happens! I feel so redundant!

Quote:
    Eden said:
    Well said BC997J, I actually own a 987S which i feel is a fantastic car that handles superbly however i love the shape, heritage power, practicality etc etc of the 911..i am already drooling over it. trust me...when i can afford to buy my 997S within a couple yrs I certainly will not look down on the boxsters or their owners!

On a side note, I do prefer the classic 996 4S to the 997 4S.

Thanxx Eden...

I certainly wont look down on Boxy drivers when I get a 911 aswell...Do Turbo drivers look down on Carrera owners, do Murcielago drivers look down on Gallardos??
    From what I've experienced, NO.

I really dont understand why this has to be so with the whole 911 / Boxster thing.
    By 'listening' to people arguing about this subject gives me the impression that the people who get Porsches dos so to feel superior to the rest of the road users because they are so focussed on their car being the better one.
    'I drive a 911, you drive a Boxster!!! What?! Why are you
    even on the same road as me??!!'

Guys come on! Just be happy about the fact that you both
    have a passion for the best car manufacturerrrrerur: Porsche

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    Fanch said:

BC, cheecky man!

Just messin' around Fanch...

You don't think it's because most (some would say all) people are snooty little idiots (no matter what car they drive) do you? Say it ain't so.
    If the animals could vote, we'd ALL be off the island!

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    The cab has a certain amount of extra weight that is immediately felt through the right pedal. It does not have the initial response of the coupe and feels almost lethargic in comparison.

It also suffers from 'scuttle shake' but more importantly that lack of rigidity is felt under hard cornering where it feels floaty and aloof as if it has a mind of its own. It loses the sports car feel and takes on more of a GT persona which is cool if Porsche didn't already make a Sports convertible.

Unfortunately the Boxster treads on the 911 Cab comprehensively offering that same sense of 'wind in the hair freedom' but in a more compact better executed sports car.

Take both cars down a twisting country road with the roof off and apart from the smugness of the 911 driver having the more expensive car, the Boxster owner will never feel short changed. He/she will enjoy the immediacy of a car designed to have its roof chopped off and the sharpness of controls and will not be subject to a marketing exercise to extract a few more $ out of their customers.

I have to admit that jjr1 has some valid points. I owned a 986 before getting my 997 convertable, IMO the boxster is more enjoyable to drive. The only saving grace of the 997 is the more powerful engine, Porsche knows that and thats why the big power difference. If Porsche would come up with a Turbo version of the Boxster I would tread in my 997 convertable in a heart beat.

I do not feel the Boxster is 'lower' than the 911... I love the look of it, BUT, I do MUCH prefer the drive feel of the 911, it just gives me something special, more challenging, more 'beasty', I like the feel of the rear engine. This suits my likenes. Other people don't like this feeling.... my brother, for example, doesn't like the feel of the 911, he much prefers the feel of the Boxster..... one is not better than the other to me, but the 911 does give me a very special feeling, the best I ever had in a car ( and it has nothing to do with looks)

Quote:
    Gosh, guys, look, I leave you all alone for a week and look what happens! I feel so redundant!

We missed you!

On topic, I love my 987S, but if I could, I'd probably trade it for a 997 C4S Cab. There's no real sensible argument to go for it, just the fact that it was a 911 C4 that made me fall in love with the brand in the first place, all these years ago.

I know what you mean ... I drove my girlfriends Boxter and after I got into my 996 I felt like I was in more of a GT and her car was much more of a sports car and more fun to drive in some ways . I think this is the feeling the Ferrari 360 and 430 owner are talking about when they say there Ferraris are more fun to drive than there 911's .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802661 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448385 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265924 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89926 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6401 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885344 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832177 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM