Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 964 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Donor vehicle for Singer Vehicle Design

I think their 4.0 liter is pretty standard high-end aftermarket parts, Mahle pistons, Carillo rods, Pankl crank etc. 390hp at 7,200rpm and 315 ft/lbs at 6000. So nothing to sneeze at. Cosworth built the initial 3.8 litre ones but Ed Pink Racing does the new ones I believe. 

I don't think they use really exotic things but then again it's a street car and needs to be fairly reliable. 

Seeing as it's mostly a canyon carver and not an everyday car I'd want a little peakier engine but I love revs so...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

SciFrog:

Originally the mods were $250k to $350k. Not it has gone quite out of hands.

The $250K number was always a red herring and then perpetuated in a number of news articles for the last 3 years. The real price hike came with the introduction of the 4.0L. If you stick with the original capacity engine then it is a about $450K including the most common options. Virtually no one goes for anything other than the 4.0L engine now. The smaller engine  does not really have enough torque, and those in this market generally want the "bestest" (unlike @noone Smiley) . The margins on these cars are not huge as so many of the parts are bespoke and there are a hell a lot of man hours involved.

noone1:

Speaking of development, I thought Futch once said his had reliability problems.

Futch had one of the early cars and they definitely diid have a lot of niggles - not surprisingly. I'll let you know how mine fairs in due course.

Look... that is not a car - it is a jewel, one looks at, and shows to others. A Porsche does not need quilted engine bay padding, ultra polished engine components and gold plated bolts. Therefore the price... Because i drive my cars, i would not want a Singer, because, as a jewel, i would not drive it. I wear no jewelry, none, and ai am not changing now.

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

TB993tt:
    Mithras:

This for me is where the Singer lacks, the engine .....

For me the Lightspeed Classic has the best unit for the job, built bespokely by Schmirler using 30+ years of exclusively Porsche engine building and tuning experience and finely tuned on his exclusive Mezger specific engine dyno set up, lots of special parts inc titanium internals/ Gives 340PS from 6100 to 7400rpm (I have an engine with a Schmirler flat power "curve" and it is incredible)  and creamy smooth torque delivery lower down (with a 379NM peak) tuned using factory Motronic.  

One thing that I notice about that comparison has to do with the intakes.  6 individual throttle bodies with velocity stacks (like the Singer and all 911's before 1974, and all RSR's until present) really gives a snappy throttle response and sound that cannot be approached from a single throttle with plenum.  The plenum does give superior low-end torque, so some builders use a plenum feeding 6 throttles for the best of both worlds...

These guys have some cool options:

http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Engine/Fuel-Injection-Systems/FI-Systems.htm

And this is the way a modern Ferrari engine should be, with ITB's:

1472690420589image.jpeg

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

ADias:

Look... that is not a car - it is a jewel, one looks at, and shows to others. A Porsche does not need quilted engine bay padding, ultra polished engine components and gold plated bolts. Therefore the price... Because i drive my cars, i would not want a Singer, because, as a jewel, i would not drive it. I wear no jewelry, none, and ai am not changing now.

I hear you - each to his own Smiley. BTW - I will be driving mine  - and hard!

crayphile:

I hear you - each to his own Smiley. BTW - I will be driving mine  - and hard!

PLEASE feel free to come to the Netherlands and drive the dykes around the river Rhine... I'll show you the best locations... Smiley
    This is a photosphere I made last year (ignore the volvo Smiley), and a mile down this dyke, it becomes blissfully twisty... 

https://goo.gl/maps/sBVvzDHaAmx

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

kiss

apias:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30932/porsche-singer-911-targa-test/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/g6828/singer-gallery/

Thanks for posting Smiley. I think he approached it  frrm exactly the right angle  - in that is it really worth it, or  do we just have a series of mass motoring journalist hysteria? BTW the price will have been closer to $600K - ouch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6pdwdMjkZE

he didntmentioned how the power surge is coming when turbo kicks in,its insane tho

Another nice article and video.

"The Singer-customized Porsche 911 is not the perfect car. Nothing could be, not for everyone. But for someone who loves the 911, remembers it fondly, and always had a special place in their heart for it…for that person, this car is perfection. It is rare that I say this, but when I do, I mean it: This reimagined Porsche lives up to the hype."

http://www.thedrive.com/video/5143/driving-a-500-000-singer-customized-porsche-911-ruins-every-other-car

What's the cheapest one they can make? Do they have like a base price/options that's at a minimum $500K, or could they do less ones for $250K etc?

crayphile:

Another nice article and video.

"The Singer-customized Porsche 911 is not the perfect car. Nothing could be, not for everyone. But for someone who loves the 911, remembers it fondly, and always had a special place in their heart for it…for that person, this car is perfection. It is rare that I say this, but when I do, I mean it: This reimagined Porsche lives up to the hype."

http://www.thedrive.com/video/5143/driving-a-500-000-singer-customized-porsche-911-ruins-every-other-car

I think SCR full fill this,I don't know how much does it cost tho.

Video: inside Singer, the coolest car company ever

Here is another video from inside the shop. The real stars as usual are the cars. Rob is his usual articulate and passionate self, not sure about the interviewer though  Smiley

http://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-magazine/video-inside-singer-coolest-car-company-ever

A sneek preview of mine. Almost there now. I should be out in California in a few weeks to hopefully do seat/ steering/ suspension adjustments.

IMG_7723.JPG

Brilliant Crayphile! Looking forward to further impressions! 

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

crayphile:

Here is another video from inside the shop. The real stars as usual are the cars. Rob is his usual articulate and passionate self, not sure about the interviewer though  Smiley

http://www.topgear.com/videos/top-gear-magazine/video-inside-singer-coolest-car-company-ever

That was great, thanks for sharing the link Smiley

A couple of comments, firstly I would have thought they would offer gutter removal to create a smoother more modern look with the benefit of improved drag. Secondly I am really amazed that I couldn't see any of the cars in there wearing PCCBs it would be a total no brainer for me to spec these as they are win win all round and the cost is surely not an issue on one of these..... maybe it is because of wheel diameter, if this is the reason then why haven't they commissioned Surface Transforms to manufacture some slightly smaller discs which would fit ? Steel discs on these just does not seem right Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

Red, cool, what color interior?

SciFrog:

Red, cool, what color interior?

Your favourite - I recall Smiley. Interior is dark blue with an individual touch. I will post plenty of pictures in due course after Singer have released theirs.

TB993tt:
    crayphile:

That was great, thanks for sharing the link Smiley

A couple of comments, firstly I would have thought they would offer gutter removal to create a smoother more modern look with the benefit of improved drag. Secondly I am really amazed that I couldn't see any of the cars in there wearing PCCBs it would be a total no brainer for me to spec these as they are win win all round and the cost is surely not an issue on one of these..... maybe it is because of wheel diameter, if this is the reason then why haven't they commissioned Surface Transforms to manufacture some slightly smaller discs which would fit ? Steel discs on these just does not seem right Smiley.

I thought long and hard about PCCB as I am a big fan of them. However, they did not seem to fit with the overall "analogue"  nature of the car as a whole Smiley

Cool interview, love these cars.

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

crayphile:

I thought long and hard about PCCB as I am a big fan of them. However, they did not seem to fit with the overall "analogue"  nature of the car as a whole Smiley

Surely the disc is pretty much hidden behind the Fuch (look) wheels so if you had red calipers noone would know apart from you ? My view is they would fit the nature of the car as the modernity fits well with the latest tech engine and suspension ie it is the running gear contrasting with the retroness of the rest of the car ?

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

Does Singer restrict the color you can chose if the color was used before?

SciFrog:

Does Singer restrict the color you can chose if the color was used before?

No - though none have been done in my colour before.

When it will be ready?

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:

When it will be ready?

January probably. I'll have a better idea in 2 weeks or so.

This is so exciting! Congratulations in advance. Please say you went with the 4.0 motor?! angel

Mike S:

This is so exciting! Congratulations in advance. Please say you went with the 4.0 motor?! angel

Absolutely Smiley

Crayphile, I'm so excited! Can't imagine what you must be feeling indecision
    Any plans on getting together with Futch for a joint tour/photos or so? ;-)

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690245 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409584 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235137 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65622 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858304 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774523 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM