Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Finally: Getting a new car on Friday!

I now see how rusty I am when it comes to posting about cars.
    Even more so when it comes to posting about my own car, since it´s been 10 years since I had a new one. YikesSmiley
    (I have a hunch that sharing the story of how my trusty old Honda Cr-V had parts of its brake tubes replaced, isn´t going to blow anyone´s skirt up).

So for me it´s really nice to allow myself to not only talk about cool cars again, but being able to actually DRIVE one as well. So please forgive me if I milk the situation for all it´s worth Smiley

I realize that some people in here seemingly are able to get a supercar as an impulse buy, and that anything less than a Koenigsegg probably won´t raise any eyebrows in this company.
    Also, as some of you probably know, my country has an almost 200% tax on cars, so that also puts a limit on how expensive a car even relatively successful people can afford.
    Yes, I´m trying to excuse myself and explain why a 1997 Fiat Punto is a supercar in Denmark Smiley
    So, with that in mind, you probably want to skip this post if you´re hoping for an earth-shattering automotive revelation.

Alright, on with the long-ass story:
    In the beginning of this year, I slowly started to allow myself to think about getting a new car.
    Budget was tight, so I was simply trying to be practical, thinking along the lines of getting a used Golf or A3 to replace my aging Honda.
    Then I came across a video with the new 718, and my blood started pumping. 
    It looked amazing and the reviews were (mostly) super positive.
    I used to have a 986S which I absolutely loved, and I´ve never really been a super fan of the 911 even though it´s THE iconic sports car.
    But WTF? I was watching the videos...and had to crank up the speakers to confirm what I thought I was hearing: It sounded...wrong?!? Smiley
    Where was that raspy, screaming flat-6 sound that is the very heart of the Boxster? Why did it sound like someone farting in a can?? Smiley
    WTF had Porsche done to this car in the name of eco-friendliness and emission regulations? A 4 cylinder? In a Porsche?? With some lame excuse that it was a throw-back to some old 4-pot model from ancient times? Really??Smiley

So it went from being something I could aspire to getting, to a "supercool looking and great handling Porsche I´d never be interested in spending my hard-earned money on". Bummer.

Perhaps the previous model would be an option then? A used 2013-15 Boxster S?
    I carefully sneaked into my local Porsche pusher and saw a gorgeous Silver 2012 model S with appr. 30K on the clock. Only major drawback was a red interior. Not a bright red, but unfortunately more wine red. 
    It still looked great, though, although it could turn out to be a nightmare when I had to sell it again.
    So I asked them to run the numbers on a leasing deal. (Here in DK most exclusive cars are leased nowadays, since it can help reduce some of the high taxes.)
    After a couple of weeks of research and back and forth with the dealer, the monthly expenses for driving a 4 year old Porsche were simply way, way too high for this deal to be attractive to me.
    Argh! Back to the drawing boardSmiley

Originally, when I started thinking about getting a new car, I had looked at the Audi A3, and was thinking about getting a model with a 150-180 BHP engine.
    I knew the build quality was very good, and the overall driving experience would be nice albeit never exhilarating or superfun. OTOH I could save a bundle of money and still drive a nice car.
    So off to the Audi dealer I went.
    They convinced me to try out the new facelifted A3 with the 1.4 liter 150 BHP ULTRA engine and 7-speed S-tronic.
    My initial reaction was "why try this slow-ass car with a handicap gearbox??", but since the 190 BHP big brother with Quattro wasn´t home, I was "stuck" with this. 

As fate would have it, I had to go on a 2 day business trip to another part of the country, and so they let me borrow it for the trip. And THIS is where I suddenly realized how I had been living under an automotive rock for the past many years:
    The build quality was simply stunning for a small hatchback, and so was the performance - at least to me.
    THIS much power in a 1.4 liter engine?? It easily passed 200 km/h and was pulling very very nicely in most any gear at any rev. WTF? 

I still struggled with the gearbox.
    I love stick-shift, and have always thought it to be the "right way" to drive a car. So it took me a few hundred kilometers to get the hang of it, and realize that perhaps, just perhaps, it wasn´t a handicap gearbox after all Smiley

After returning the car I got very busy with work, which then again allowed me to start thinking about maybe getting an even more capable car. I was thinking a 190 BHP Quattro version of the new A3 might be the right way to go.
    So back to the dealer.

Unfortunately, they still didn´t have that as a demo car, and "all" they could offer me was a trip in the 2016 S3.
    So there I was, in a hatchback that was on par with the Boxster speedwise at half the cost.
    Unfortunately it was also half the Boxster when it came to my emotional response and "freude am fahren". 
    However, for all its shortcomings in the passion department, it showed me why the S-tronic was a more obvious and logical choice. 
    So there I was again. Stuck. The last thing I want is a semi-expensive car that induces a semi-emotional response in me.
    Back and forth I went for weeks, and since it took Audi forever to get the price on the new S3, there wasn´t much I could do but wait and focus on other things in life.

That is until I got a call from an Audi sales rep suggesting I could lease an RS3.
    In fact, it wasn´t even leasing, it was their new "Audi Select" concept, where you could RENT an Audi for 6 months, then swap it for another model and drive that for 6 months. And the price would include everything except fuel.
    Of course, the RS3 was quite a bit more expensive than the S3, and more than twice the price of a fully-specced 2.0 Quattro. It wouldn´t make sense. Would it?
    Only one way to find out: Back to the dealer yet again.

As you all know, the RS3 is basically a standard A3 looks wise.
    Little upgrades here and there: From the upgraded sound system to the sports seats, alloy pedals, larger rims etc..
    The usual low-key upgrades Audi has always offered. A welcome anonymity to some. Too underplayed for others.

Well yes, there was this minor detail of a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine with (officially) 367 BHP.
    Sounded good on paper, but surely it couldn´t be worth the premium over the S3. 

Again, I discovered what I didn´t realize I had been missing for all these years: Just turning the key and I suddenly understood why driving this car would not be anything like the 1.4 or S3.
    I found myself screaming "holy fuck!" and "Yaaaahoooo!" at least 50 times during my 1-hour test drive, and even recorded it so I could make a more rational decision when emotions had settled after the drive.

THIS was the emotional reaction I was looking for. THIS was so much more involving and fun than the S3, and the sound SO much more intoxicating than any new 718.
    I´ve attached a soundbite from a youtube video for you to enjoy, if you haven´t already heard the RS3 symphony.

No, the RS3 is absolutely not a track-tool, nor will it ever be as precise a car as a Boxster. Far from it. 
    The steering is too light and numb, and the new quattro system still renders the car very neutral in any situation. Not much fun to be had with sliding or just wagging the tail a bit. The RS3 is much too planted (or boring, some would say) for that to happen.
    It´s a point-and-steer pocket rocket with built-in practicality (passenger seats and a trunk) and made-for-Danish climate handling.
    Compare it to a Porsche (or any dedicated sportscar), and it won´t even be a close call when it comes to precision and sizzling track - and backroads fun.
    But then again, the pricetag is much lower, and the practicality level of the car much higher. 
    On top of that, I very much like the notion of being under the radar and not flashing an exotic vehicle. At least that´s how I feel right now. 
    And besides the more practical aspects, it has an engine that absolutely puts any new 4-pot Boxster to shame. Both in terms of the sound and power.
    Someone said that the new R8 V10 plus is the 911 they wish Porsche had built. 
    I´d add that the 5 cyl RS3 engine has the soul and charisma that I wish Porsche had given the new 718.

And speaking of power, I never did understand how a 367 BHP car with 1500+ kilos could do sub-4 seconds 0-100 times. 
    Turns out that all the RS3s have plenty more horses than officially stated.
    I spoke to a tech guy who had dyno´d 5 stock (no cat removal or remapping) RS3s, and 4 of them had 410+ BHP and one had 390 BHP. Another example of automotive marketing politics, I reckon.
    Begs the question if the new, facelifted 2017 model will simply have the very same power as the current model (just hitting 400 BHP), or if that one will crank out 430+ horses or more. Time will tell.

Very long story short: On Friday I am greeting my (almost) new ride (2K on the clock).
    And I honestly feel like a 10 year old schoolboy, which is very nice when you´re quickly becoming an old geezer. It will be truly great to finally again be able to enjoy a fun car, and I cant wait.
    For me this is not only a "nice car". It symbolizes something more. I think those who know me a bit probably understand what I mean Smiley

As for specs, it has - I believe - everything except magnetic ride and park assist (not sure if that´s part of the MMI nav package).
    Apart from the incredible engine note, I´m anxiously waiting to try out the B&O sound system. I´m told it´s supposedly great, and it never hurts to have some Danish design in my car :)

I´ve attached some showroom images of the specific car, taken by the dealer.
    I´ll probably post more when I get the car.

All the best. Lasse 

Audi RS3 Sounds.mov

872102136.jpg 872102136_2.jpg 872102136_1.jpg 872102136_10.jpg 872102136_9.jpg 872102136_7.jpg 872102136_3.jpg 872102136_5.jpg 

Re: Finally: Getting a new car on Friday!

That's a lovely car, excellent spec, looks stunning wink It'll be fun driver and useful daily, my type of car kiss

--

1986 BMW 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss/Black Leather - German Spec 
    2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 Black/Black Leather 

Ex: ''91 BMW 535i, '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Nice choice. I'll consider getting one as a daily driver once they have the new model with the virtual cockpit.

I love that interior. Looks very cool. Excellent color you get there - looks cool!

Dr. Phil:

Again, I discovered what I didn´t realize I had been missing for all these years: Just turning the key and I suddenly understood why driving this car would not be anything like the 1.4 or S3.
    I found myself screaming "holy fuck!" and "Yaaaahoooo!" at least 50 times during my 1-hour test drive, and even recorded it so I could make a more rational decision when emotions had settled after the drive.

Very long story short: On Friday I am greeting my (almost) new ride (2K on the clock).
    And I honestly feel like a 10 year old schoolboy

Priceless reaction, this is the beauty of our passion for cars Smiley congrats on your new toy and I wish you many happy miles with it.

--

J.Seven

welcome back....and a big congrats !

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Congrats! winkGreat choice. The manliest of all A3 models indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Hey, Doc Smiley

Your impressions of the 718 Boxster is the same as mine, Porsche have taken a superb sports car and completely ruined it with that agricultural, wet fart sounding engine. As much as I love Boxsters, (our GTS is our third) I could never. buy a 718.

SWMBO loves the Audi A3 ( although spoilt now with my super comfortable Volvo daily drive), if for whatever reason the GTS disappeared from my life the RS3 would be right at the top of my short list. Smiley So congratulations, you've chosen a really great car with the RS3! Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 D4 R Design daily drive

Congratulations on the car and remarkably finding something that @noone likes ! 

crayphile:

Congratulations on the car and remarkably finding something that @noone likes

SmileySmiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

crayphile:

Congratulations on the car and remarkably finding something that @noone likes ! 

Thanks! Smiley And I´m glad to see the @ in that sentence Smiley

Many congrats and welcome to the Audi Club indecisionindecision

'the RS3 sounds like a R8 and even the switches looks alike. Must be fun to drive. Enjoy kiss

--

Kind regards, Conny 

Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016) BMW 740xDrive (2016)

bluelines:

Congrats! winkGreat choice. The manliest of all A3 models indecision

Thanks a lotSmiley I actually chose the Audi Gemannlichkeit Spezial Option: has a special feature in the seats that stimulates manly hair growth in the buttocks region. Yes, it´s true. It´s a custom option on the manly models Smiley

Conny997:

Many congrats and welcome to the Audi Club indecisionindecision

'the RS3 sounds like a R8 and even the switches looks alike. Must be fun to drive. Enjoy kiss

Thanks a lot, Conny Smiley 
    I actually was pretty crazy about Audi 15-16 years ago. Back then I had a tuned A4 1.8T Quattro Avant with WAAAY too many mods, including a new EFI with water injection, a huge intercooler and a KKK charger with a wastegate that made as much noise as a rally car Smiley The RS3 is no R8 by any stretch of the imagination, but you´re right; the sound is similar to the V10. Very nice albeit not quite as aggressive and sporty as the R8. 

bluelines:
    crayphile:

Congratulations on the car and remarkably finding something that @noone likes

SmileySmiley

SmileySmiley

dreamcar:

Hey, Doc Smiley

Your impressions of the 718 Boxster is the same as mine, Porsche have taken a superb sports car and completely ruined it with that agricultural, wet fart sounding engine. As much as I love Boxsters, (our GTS is our third) I could never. buy a 718.

SWMBO loves the Audi A3 ( although spoilt now with my super comfortable Volvo daily drive), if for whatever reason the GTS disappeared from my life the RS3 would be right at the top of my short list. Smiley So congratulations, you've chosen a really great car with the RS3! Smiley

Hey DC! Good to be back in touch again :)
    "Agricultural" is actually very spot on Smiley Not sure WTF they were smoking when they came up with that engine/sound. I could have a talk with SWMBO and magically have the GTS vanish if need be...Smiley
    And thanks - I hope it´ll be as much fun in the long run as it was during my test drive. Time will tell.Smiley

Atzporsche:

That's a lovely car, excellent spec, looks stunning wink It'll be fun driver and useful daily, my type of car kiss

Thanks mate SmileySmiley

noone1:

Nice choice. I'll consider getting one as a daily driver once they have the new model with the virtual cockpit.

Thanks, Noone Smiley Not sure if the VC is that useful on a daily basis, but it definitely looks cool.

J.Seven:
    Dr. Phil:

And I honestly feel like a 10 year old schoolboy

Priceless reaction, this is the beauty of our passion for cars Smiley congrats on your new toy and I wish you many happy miles with it.

Hehe, thanks a lot SmileySmiley If a car doesn´t get my blood pumping, it´d better be cheap instead - so I think I made the right choice with this one. I can only hope that the "happy miles" will be ones with relatively nice weather - considering the usual danish weather this time of yearSmiley Fingers crossed Smiley

intouch1:

welcome back....and a big congrats !

Dr. S! Thanks a lot SmileySmiley And good to hear from you again Smiley

Lars997:

I love that interior. Looks very cool. Excellent color you get there - looks cool!

Thanks! Smiley Looks rather light in the pictures. AFAIK the interior is a bit darker grey in real life. And yes, the nardo grey is one of the nicest "flat" colors on the Audi palette IMO. I almost got a red with black trimmings, but it just didn´t look as cool to me as the grey. Smiley

Congrats on the new ride and great to see you back here wink

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Congrats Doc! And of course welcome back.

Is that Nardo Grey? Nice one...Smiley

The engine in the RS3 is fantastic . I can understand the goosebumps .  Great choice kiss Other option could be TT RS but less practical and slightly less manly indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

I almost bought the same car last year. It's a very nice spec and very cool car if you ask me. I love these understated cars. 

And welcome back! It's really nice to see you again. Your posts are very entertaining to read   Smiley 

The RS3 is an excellent choice. I drove one (latest version) and loved it. Best performance/value leader in it's class in my opinion. The sound is amazing for such a car, really unbelievable. Maybe Porsche should learn from Audi but of course the RS3 has a 5 cyl. engine and those sound good anyway. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Congrats Phil, cool car! Sounds great as well!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Congrats on the RS3! I had a blast in one earlier this year when a friend of mine bought one. Understaded and really a great car! Gotta love when the hp-specs from the manufacturer are lower than how the car perform out in the wild indecision

Also great to see you back on the forum! Remember some of your epic posts several years back. Sometimes I think you could have heard my laugh all the way from Sweden, hehe.

Looking forward to see some more pictures and hear about your driving impressions when you have the car in your posession kiss

KresoF1:

Congrats Doc! And of course welcome back.

Is that Nardo Grey? Nice one...Smiley

Double-thanks SmileySmiley
    Yes, Nardo Grey. Funny how grey can be sporty, but somehow this non-metallic color looks really nice on the RS-models.

Gnil:

The engine in the RS3 is fantastic . I can understand the goosebumps .  Great choice kiss Other option could be TT RS but less practical and slightly less manly indecision

Thanks! Smiley Well, I never liked the TT design, and it´s waaay too expensive IMO. So that was never an option. And yes, I can´t drive a girlieman car like that and risk tarnishing my yuuuge masculoneous reputationSmiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688265 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408601 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234712 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65349 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857476 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773197 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM