Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 997 S vs BMW M6

Quote:
    dnp_now said:
    I doubt many would say the same of the M6 or any other bmw for that matter.

The 507 is a pretty sharp car - before Bangle was born...

Acceleration is probably the only performance area that the M6 would outshine the 997S. I don't think the 997S would get crushed either, but the M6 does seem to have an advantage in terms of sheer power.

In terms of handling, braking, and overall feel though, it has nothing on the 997S. Those factors separate a good car from a great car.

I would say that the 997 is one of the most beautiful cars in the world, but not in the same way as an Aston Martin for example. I love the fact that its styling has been so evolutionary. It looks very modern and still has the same basic shape as it did in the 60s at the same time, but it's not a retro design.

Isn't the M6 almost $100K US, which is about the price of a 997S with the "powerkit".....this might make it a closer comparison between the two in terms of cost and acceleration, but in terms of stlye, class and desire, there is no substitution for the Porsche.

I don't know the exact price of the M6, but I think it's very close to $100K too. A 997S would cost quite a bit less, as long as you don't start adding too many options.

The powerkit would level the acceleration even more, but it is a very expensive option.

Quote:
    Derf said:
    Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    But it is true that F's look better (sorry guys).

Not to my eyes, but to each their own.

Agree! Anyone who says the 997 is not beautiful is either nucking futs, a hater ,needs to get their eyes checked, or all of the above!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Kevin 034 said:
    i agree w/ the above comments. The M6 is so ugly everytime I see it I want to take a 2x4 to it.

Are claiming the 997 is better styled? You know the car with the Chevron happy face and style lines from the 60's.

The 997 is one of the ugliest cars on the road. This is not a subjective point of view. Most magazines in their review of the 997 comment on its lack of styling but rave over its performance. Pretty it is not.

Are you drunk?? No seriously. Drunk or on drugs?
    Has to be drugs...

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    Derf said:
    Quote:
    Oxonian said:

Agree! Anyone who says the 997 is not beautiful is either nucking futs, a hater ,needs to get their eyes checked, or all of the above!

There we go

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Kevin 034 said:
    The 997 is one of the ugliest cars on the road. This is not a subjective point of view. Most magazines in their review of the 997 comment on its lack of styling but rave over its performance. Pretty it is not.

And because a person writing for a magazine says so, it's not subjective? Here's a news flash: "Pretty" can only be subjective.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Quote:
    Derf said:
    Quote:
    Oxonian said:

There we go

Porsche makes the best looking German cars, better than Audi, MB and BMW...

but Ferrari, IMHO, is something else in terms of looks...

However, even if I could afford a F430 (I cannot), I would still get a Porsche because the lack of "bling bling"

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Are claiming the 997 is better styled? You know the car with the Chevron happy face and style lines from the 60's.

Pick any magazine other than Excellence, Christophorus and possibly Car and read carefully. None are enamoured with the style other than to say it is a throwback to earlier styles. Face it, the car is designed to some degree for performance and NOT for looks.Who in their right mind would think the VW happy face look is beautiful?

Those of you who believe the car is good looking are the one's on drugs.

Ferrari is hopelessly over rated IMO.
    I dont want to offend those who have / like Ferrari, but I will never get one.
    Porsche is better looking to me also.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Kevin 034 said:
    i agree w/ the above comments. The M6 is so ugly everytime I see it I want to take a 2x4 to it.

Hi Nick. Are you claiming that the front of your Ferrari F430 is better styled than the Porsche 997? Ya know, the F430 with gigantic sized nostrils that could swallow a Mini with? I mean, I think as far as styling is concerned, the front of the F430 has a style that only a mother could
    love.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the F430 overall. I just think that the styling of the front leaves a lot to be desired. Do you agree?

Terminology

nick,
    There's a big difference between "Not enamoured" and "Ugly". As usual your stretching the truth.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Pick any magazine other than Excellence, Christophorus and possibly Car and read carefully. None are enamoured with the style other than to say it is a throwback to earlier styles. Face it, the car is designed to some degree for performance and NOT for looks.Who in their right mind would think the VW happy face look is beautiful?

Since you haven't produced any quotes from articles (other than refering to three magazines that WON'T have articles condemning the 997) I thought I would help you search.

Let us start with Road & Track. Here is what they said: "Unlike many other sports cars whose designers struggle to give them a sense of style, often radically changing the shapes, the Porsche 911 has been able to hold its simple yet elegant, streamlined silhouette for four decades. Yet amazingly, Porsche has kept the 911 looking contemporary and fresh." And they further said: "And thank goodness the circular headlamps are back."

And here is what Car and Driver magazine had to say about the 997: "Among the lost traits: the 911's sensuous shoulders and hips, restored by pulling in the waist and pushing out the track at both axles. The previous 911 looked slightly flaccid, as if one too many strudels had gone to its middle. A 911 has always stirred the blood with svelte, athletic curves stretched tight over large tires. This new Carrera, long-serving Porsche chief designer Harm Lagaay's final opus before retirement, does the stirring a bit better. It has nearly identical length and height dimensions as the outgoing 996 model's, but with its bigger behind, upright oval headlights, and slotted lenses for the front turn signals, it generates similar visual venom to the old air-cooled 993."

I can keep going, but this is already long enough. I re-read articles from Motor Trend and AutoWeek and they liked the styling of the 997. Still waiting for you to produce the articles you said "most" magazines wrote..........

Phil

Re: Terminology

Cars are an acquired taste. IMO.. both cars look beautiful. I personally love porsche and think it is the best ALL-ROUND sports car. BUT you put a Porsche 997s and a F430 beside each other and I'd run to the Ferrari. Ferrari is something else!

Quote:
    dnp_now said:
    doesn't the M6 +500hp and v8 simply crushes the 997s in terms of acceleration?

As I understand it, the 997s is no match for the hp excessive m6/m5.

Handling and sheer pleasure of driving the 997s is a different story all together.

That's exactly the point

I just drove to work today (top down, 55 F, sunny) in my 997 S Cab. Sorry, you can Ferrari and M6 me to death with acceleration, stopping numbers, Nurburgring lap times etc but nothing, I mean nothing beats this car for pure driving pleasure.

Quote:
    s4to911 said:
    I just drove to work today (top down, 55 F, sunny) in my 997 S Cab. Sorry, you can Ferrari and M6 me to death with acceleration, stopping numbers, Nurburgring lap times etc but nothing, I mean nothing beats this car for pure driving pleasure.

Amen to that

Guys if you take an average Porsche does make the most fun to drive cars in the world. Ferrari's, Lambos, Bimmers, AMG's they just don't do the job for me. When you drive a Porsche you become one with the car whiles others are boring or a struggle to drive

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    s4to911 said:

I remember my demo ,, I come away thinking that car was so damn easy to drive maybe too easy if you see what I mean . Yourself and the car was so compatible you did literally feel part of the set up , very very nice and it creates confidence..

JMO..

throt...

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Pick any magazine other than Excellence, Christophorus and possibly Car and read carefully. None are enamoured with the style other than to say it is a throwback to earlier styles.

Still waiting for you to produce the articles you said "most" magazines wrote..........

Phil

Just don't try to hold your breath till then.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Love your posts Nick- very comical! Thank you!

Quote:
    s4to911 said:

Hey! Me too!

My UGLY car.

Man, this car is so ugly I just want to puke. BLECH!

Re: My UGLY car.

Quote:
    AeroSmith said: Man, this car is so ugly I just want to puke. BLECH

Yeah sure! Cobalt is beautiful! But if you're sick of looking at it, you can park it in my garage.

Here's a nice comparison: clear concise, nails the issue to the wall.

Quote:
    AeroSmith said:
    Man, this car is so ugly I just want to puke. BLECH!

Yeah, what were they thinking!!! Just hideous!

Seriously, not only do I believe that the car is gorgeous , but it also has tremendous character too! If that makes sense to anyone? Must be those eyes and curves!

Good one MMD!

However, I happen to think the new BMW style looks cool and modern!

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Good one MMD!

However, I happen to think the new BMW style looks cool and modern!

The new BMW looks like a concept car that never made it halfway out of the concept stage

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 12:10 PM
    Enmanuel
    802782 1805
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448434 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265960 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89971 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6445 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885455 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832502 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM