Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Here you go....

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Other than financial consideration, how anyone could choose the 997S over the AMV8 is mind-boggling. Performance, beauty, sound, lush interior and exclusivity is hands down in favor of the AM.

My god; the 997 is an old shoe. Porsche replaces the sole, laces, heal and numeric designation and sell it as a totally new car. Wake up!

Nick - I agree that I'd rather have an AM if they cost the same, except that everything I've seen indicates that the 997 wins on performance (and all reviews say the subjective driving experience of the 997 is better too). Why do you think the AM wins there? I do find AM much prettier though, but still too expensive for me...

With competition tires the AM is faster. Regarding subjective feel I doubt anyone would choose the 997S given the exhaust of the AM and its closeness in performance. The AM is a GT afterall and that is why it is equipped with comfort tires. Several magazines have stated the S ride is too harsh especially with the race suspesion.

Quote:
    Yargk said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Other than financial consideration, how anyone could choose the 997S over the AMV8 is mind-boggling. Performance, beauty, sound, lush interior and exclusivity is hands down in favor of the AM.

My god; the 997 is an old shoe. Porsche replaces the sole, laces, heal and numeric designation and sell it as a totally new car. Wake up!

How could anyone choose the 911? Well Hamster explained how he picked it in the article if you read it. It drives better, both subjectively and objectively, and for a class of people that's what matters most. How is that hard to understand?

well HELLO! Its a Porsche! its a mass produced, overpriced VW beetle

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several magazines have stated the S ride is too harsh especially with the race suspesion.

Race suspension? On a 997S? Which I-number is that sold under?

But I could buy A radcial sr8 for even less,and "theoretically" drive round the ring a minute faster than in the 997or the Evo

Of course my driving ability is nowhere near that of a professional race driver, nor is my route to work via the nordschliefe. If I was that concerened about getting to work late, I'd set off a few seconds earlier....

I don't have to buy the fastest car, as my daily commute is interrrupted by GATSOs.....Do I really need to have the fastest car money can buy?

At the end of the day, it's not really about flat out speed, but the quality of the driving experience and fun factor. The 911 may win on this, or not, depending on the particular buyer.

In the real world, it is hard to corner at the limit around every bend anyway.

- J

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Several magazines have stated the S ride is too harsh especially with the race suspesion.

If I am not mistaken you can order a stiffer (20mm(?) suspension for performance. One does not choose that option for comfort. That to me is a race/performance suspension.

Both cars are great. The Aston is gorgeous and does sound amazing. For some reason though (maybe a misconception of mine, because the Aston is obviously a very strong performer), the 997 seems to be the more serious car.

When I'm truly enjoying the driving experience, I could car less about how pretty the car is.

Quote:
    nberry said:

You don't need the old shoe to beat the Vantage on the Nordschleife the "new shoe" Cayman S is enough (8.11m)

Blueflame

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick - I agree that I'd rather have an AM if they cost the same, except that everything I've seen indicates that the 997 wins on performance (and all reviews say the subjective driving experience of the 997 is better too). Why do you think the AM wins there? I do find AM much prettier though, but still too expensive for me...

With competition tires the AM is faster. Regarding subjective feel I doubt anyone would choose the 997S given the exhaust of the AM and its closeness in performance. The AM is a GT afterall and that is why it is equipped with comfort tires. Several magazines have stated the S ride is too harsh especially with the race suspesion.

Well, if you view the Vantage test by 5th Gear, they say the Vantage sounds like any other V8 from the inside, and that you drive along unaware of that great sound which only bystanders would hear..

but maybe Aston figured that was the most important for their buyers

elysium

Quote:
    nberry said:

Hands down in performance, beauty, sound???
    Do you even know what your speaking about?

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    .....what will happen if you put those tires on the Porsche??? Aston is bragging but they arent even takin into account that the Vantage needed special tyres to beat the Carrera S?
    If you put tires on the P that could potentially improve its laptime by 10sec it would probably beat a Stradale

it said aston will offer those tires as an option, so I wouldn't say it needs "special" tires to beat the 997. For that matter, you could say that the 997 needs "special" brakes (PCCM) to achieve the time that it did. So what would happen if you put carbon ceramic brakes on the aston?

Well then... seeing that the AM is so much more than the Porsche, how about getting X51. It should still be cheaper and will OBLITERATE the Aston...

Anyone know the times of the Cs without PCCB. It bet its still faster than the Aston.

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    .....what will happen if you put those tires on the Porsche??? Aston is bragging but they arent even takin into account that the Vantage needed special tyres to beat the Carrera S?
    If you put tires on the P that could potentially improve its laptime by 10sec it would probably beat a Stradale

it said aston will offer those tires as an option, so I wouldn't say it needs "special" tires to beat the 997. For that matter, you could say that the 997 needs "special" brakes (PCCM) to achieve the time that it did. So what would happen if you put carbon ceramic brakes on the aston?

Well then... seeing that the AM is so much more than the Porsche, how about getting X51. It should still be cheaper and will OBLITERATE the Aston...

Anyone know the times of the Cs without PCCB. It bet its still faster than the Aston.

i totally agree. I'm not trying to say that the AM is better than the 997. I was simply saying that the aston wasn't run with "special" tires...it was just run with the tires that were available as an option. Just as the porsche wasn't run with "special" brakes...they are an option thats all@ I'm not bashing the 997... i swear!

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

Let's wait and see what AM Works Service will release for the V8 once production is up to speed. A "sport-pack" for the amv8 that compromises of engine, suspension and brake mods is a very likely addition to the car in the future. The aston may lose out to the porsche by a small margin, but I would hardly consider it to be a crap car....

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

If I am not mistaken you can order a stiffer (20mm(?) suspension for performance. One does not choose that option for comfort. That to me is a race/performance suspension.

The 20mm lowered suspension is intended for people who want better handling at the price of reduced ground clearance. While this is better than the other options for people who want to do an occasional trackday, it is a long way from being a race suspension.

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Let's wait and see what AM Works Service will release for the V8 once production is up to speed. A "sport-pack" for the amv8 that compromises of engine, suspension and brake mods is a very likely addition to the car in the future.

Does AM have a history of offering "Sport packs" for its cars. If so, are they only installed on new cars, or for retrofitting?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

The 20mm lowered suspension is intended for people who want better handling at the price of reduced ground clearance. While this is better than the other options for people who want to do an occasional trackday, it is a long way from being a race suspension.

Perfectly explained.

For a price, AM will make whatever you want. There's Sportmodifacato Db9 lurking on the am forums. Of course, such things are not cheap, but do illustrate the fact that AM are trying to provide a bespoke car.

I dare not imagine how much it would cost to have custom superchargers and CF bodyparts fitted....

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    For a price, AM will make whatever you want.

OK, so I guess that means that there is no catalog or price list of "standard" kit items which they have developed?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    stanwan said:
    For a price, AM will make whatever you want.

OK, so I guess that means that there is no catalog or price list of "standard" kit items which they have developed?

It's unlikely that they have anything for the v8 as the car isn't even out yet. It can be assumed that something will be in the pipeline though. For those that are less patient, a visit to Works Service with a blank cheque should suffice...

Available Options for AMV8 are listed here.

http://www.astonmartin.com/configurator/selectcar.html

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

i totally agree. I'm not trying to say that the AM is better than the 997. I was simply saying that the aston wasn't run with "special" tires...it was just run with the tires that were available as an option. Just as the porsche wasn't run with "special" brakes...they are an option thats all@ I'm not bashing the 997... i swear!

I get what your sayin.

BTW I wasnt sayin the V8 is a crap car also. Its one of the most gorgeous cars on the road today and aston really upped their game making a car with that potential. So for Anyone whos getting/thinking of getting a Aston, go right ahead.
    Like I said, The Vantage and DB9 are totally gorgeous, and they are excellent cars.
    I love Porsche and IMO its the better car, but I'm wont do a Jeremy Clarkson and tell you the Aston is crap just because I like The 997 better.

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    BC997J said:

Let's wait and see what AM Works Service will release for the V8 once production is up to speed. A "sport-pack" for the amv8 that compromises of engine, suspension and brake mods is a very likely addition to the car in the future. The aston may lose out to the porsche by a small margin, but I would hardly consider it to be a crap car....

i wasnt saying its a crap car.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778084 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442031 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262943 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261194 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85457 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5695 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880863 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816447 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM