Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Using a towel (Rag) to remove dust

I guess I have to clarify my comments for many of you out there.

Using a towel (I call them rags) such as a microfiber or cotton towel to remove dust accumulations is perfectly safe contrary to the opinion of Stradale. It is all in how it is done, and how much dirt and grime the paint surface has accumulated. To Stradale point, a dirty dry towel can leave micro-scratches in the paint, so the trick is to turn the towel often and use a clean wet towel per panel. I might use 10-12 towels in a cleaning, or even more when I prep the car at a Concours. I have yet to see the damage that Stradale points out on the finish of any of my cars. That is probably because the paint finish of my vehicles have a good coating of Rejex which tends to make the surface a high-release one, so dirt does not tend to stick as with a conventional organic wax. I highly recommend Rejex, especially for daily drivers. As long as it is applied correctly, and allowed to cure, it will provide unmatched surface protection and gloss.

I also highly recommend use of wet towels to remove light dust from a vehicle surface. The key is to make sure the towel is wet, and to use many towels as they become soiled.

However if the car is driven in the rain, or as a daily driver where the dirt accumulation is severe, then there is no substitute for washing the car using traditional means.

The cars that I use towels on are in my Concours collection, and are all national winners. For these high-end cars washing them using traditional water and soap techniques is not an option because of the extensive preparation that is required to prevent water spotting. But for the daily drivers in the fleet, washing them using a pressure washer with the medium nozzle works just fine.

At issue is always the micro-scratches that a car finish will acquire with use. It has been shown that driving a car in even a moderately dusty environment will cause much more damage than wiping the car down with a wet towel. Unfortunately, this is a fact of life, but swirl removers and glazes which have fillers in them will effectively deal with this issue. What glazes and swirl removers do is fill the scratches which gives the finish a low-refraction surface. Refraction is the scattering of light reflections of a surface and is what you see on a paint surface in low sun angles (especially on dark paint) that makes the micro-scratches stand out. Filling those scratches makes the light reflect uniformly which equates to a "deep gloss".

Now on to this recent fad of using a leaf blower to dry a car. Consider that a leaf blower will hit a car with 120 mph unfiltered air that is full of micro dust particles. Using a leaf blower on a car's paint is the same principal that sand blasters use to scour a surface. This method does not seem very wise to me.

A shop vacuum for sucking wash water and dust from a convertible top is the only use of a forced air device that I would recommend.

Lastly, a plug for my PCA book, The 2005 Zone 7 Guide to Concours D'Elegance that will tell you more about preparing your car to have it in "Concours" condition, click here for more information.

Re: Using a towel (Rag) to remove dust

Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    I guess I have to clarify my comments for many of you out there.

Using a towel (I call them rags) such as a microfiber or cotton towel to remove dust accumulations is perfectly safe contrary to the opinion of Stradale. It is all in how it is done, and how much dirt and grime the paint surface has accumulated. To Stradale point, a dirty dry towel can leave micro-scratches in the paint, so the trick is to turn the towel often and use a clean wet towel per panel. I might use 10-12 towels in a cleaning, or even more when I prep the car at a Concours. I have yet to see the damage that Stradale points out on the finish of any of my cars. That is probably because the paint finish of my vehicles have a good coating of Rejex which tends to make the surface a high-release one, so dirt does not tend to stick as with a conventional organic wax. I highly recommend Rejex, especially for daily drivers. As long as it is applied correctly, and allowed to cure, it will provide unmatched surface protection and gloss.

I also highly recommend use of wet towels to remove light dust from a vehicle surface. The key is to make sure the towel is wet, and to use many towels as they become soiled.
    At first you mentioned using this method on dust AND dirt. That's why I said something.
    I don't just feel a dry towel can leave micro scratches in the paint, your method with wet towels also leaves micro scratches in the clear coat. There's a reason why you keep turning the towels (btw stopped using cotton towels long time ago because of how abrasive they are) and you use 10-12 towels in the process. It's common sense. By using a dirty towel it harms the clear coat. It leaves swirl marks. I know because I used to do something similar. The problem is that frequent wet baths turning the towel over is almost as bad as using really dirty towels. Each time you are being abrasive to the clear coat. Not only that but it's a killer for wax. Anyone with a good coat of wax will need to re-apply after a couple of wet baths. You live in CA and don't drive your car in bad weather. Don't know how many miles you drive but if you did the towel wipe method in the North East on a black car you would see the small scratches. I have 2 black suvs now and until recently only bought black sports cars. This method that you are using isn't obvious on a red metallic or silver car (unless you catch a sand or dirt particle and really scratch the paint) but on a black car it becomes very obvious, to my eye anyway. And not only are you being abrasive to the clear coat with every time you wipe a dirty car with wet cloths fact is you're not washing away the containaments that build up on the cars finish from driving. By wiping a dirty car with a wet towel you are actually wiping pollutants into the clear coat instead of cleaning them away. Secondly, the road is a dirty place. Tires kick up dirt, grease, oil, small pieces of dirt etc. It's very easy (in my area anyway) for a sand particle to lodge in a body panel or crevice while driving. Without Hosing the car off you stand a good chance of picking up a particle and dragging it across the paint. So it's not just the towels that I would advise against it's the fact your wiping towels across a cars paint after driving it. IMO the only time it's safe to use a damp cloth to wipe down dust is IF the car hasn't been on the road. I guess it all depends how picky you are about how the finish looks.

How many towels do you have to use on the rims if you aren't cleaning with soap and water ? That's a dirty job. I have to tell you. I think using 10-12 towels (plus the rims and then having to lauder them ) to wipe down a car is insane. When I'm done washing my car I have 1 dirty towel from the rims, that's it. The micro fiber drying towel that I use to dry is the only cloth that touches the paint and when I'm done drying you wouldn't even know the towel has been used. Total time from start to finish doing it right is 10-15 minues.

I don't like rejex. The shine and deepness I get from traditional waxes is 10 times what you get from rejex and you cant wax ontop of rejex. Plus it's a pain to get off and imo there's 10 other reasons I don't use it but don't want to get into that now, this is already too long. People here are free to do whatever they want. I'd just hate to hear some guy come back and report he put a scratch in his clear coat or worse because he tried your short-cut

However if the car is driven in the rain, or as a daily driver where the dirt accumulation is severe, then there is no substitute for washing the car using traditional means. Thanks for clarifying that.

The cars that I use towels on are in my Concours collection, and are all national winners. For these high-end cars washing them using traditional water and soap techniques is not an option because of the extensive preparation that is required to prevent water spotting. But for the daily drivers in the fleet, washing them using a pressure washer with the medium nozzle works just fine.
    I used to compete in car and motorcycle shows. The last PCA Concourse I did this past July I placed first place. No big deal. I only entered because that's where the best parking was after the rally I did. Below is a pic of one of my Harleys with some of the trophies. I agree cars that are trailer or garage queens the wet towel method is a lot less risky and you don't have to worry about containaments settling on the paint. I still wouldn't do it.

At issue is always the micro-scratches that a car finish will acquire with use. It has been shown that driving a car in even a moderately dusty environment will cause much more damage than wiping the car down with a wet towel.
    I disagree. Wiping dust with a wet towel turns dust into dirt. Wiping it into the clear coat is worse then driving in a Dusty environment

Unfortunately, this is a fact of life, but swirl removers and glazes which have fillers in them will effectively deal with this issue. What glazes and swirl removers do is fill the scratches which gives the finish a low-refraction surface. Refraction is the scattering of light reflections of a surface and is what you see on a paint surface in low sun angles (especially on dark paint) that makes the micro-scratches stand out. Filling those scratches makes the light reflect uniformly which equates to a "deep gloss".
    True, common knowledge. Haven't needed any type of swirl remover in years. Haven't had any swirl marks or scratches from washing or detailing on my sports cars in years.

Now on to this recent fad of using a leaf blower to dry a car. Consider that a leaf blower will hit a car with 120 mph unfiltered air that is full of micro dust particles. Using a leaf blower on a car's paint is the same principal that sand blasters use to scour a surface. This method does not seem very wise to me.

A shop vacuum for sucking wash water and dust from a convertible top is the only use of a forced air device that I would recommend.

Lastly, a plug for my PCA book, The 2005 Zone 7 Guide to Concours D'Elegance that will tell you more about preparing your car to have it in "Concours" condition, click here for more information.

I'm really surprised. Do you mention using 10 or 12 cloths to clean a dusty/dirty car in the book ? The guys that I know that still show will only use cloths on a clean car and even then will use a product like speedshine to limit the abrasive nature of wiping a cloth on clear coat. Again - "Wash your car regularly. You shower regularly (or you should), and your car should too."

And there you have it folks

Two points of view.

Both are correct, you decide which one is best for you.

Re: How regularly do you have to wash your car?

Take it from me my friend. Unless the car gets muddy I never wash it. I drive my Porsche on the weekends only so I never wash it. I use Meguires quick detailer, it's a special liquid mixed with a light wax that you spray on a dusty car and wipe it right off without scratching. I then vaccum the interior and clean the glass and spray the Meguire on the wheels and clean the brake dust and then make the tires shiny
    I have been doing this for years on all colors and all 5 porsches. I learned this trick from a gentleman in a MB show, he had 300SL Gullwing that he sprayed everyday during the show. Zymol and Mothers make the same product as Megire quick detailer. It's gr8 stuff as you don't have to wash the car and was it less often. To ease the pain of waxing I wax one or two panels only everyweek, that way every 2 months the whole car is waxed. Try this technique, you will be very happy, save time, money and the finish on your car

Sorry if this is a dumb question:

How do you get the inside of the rims clean? I'm talking about where the brakes are? Do you take the rim off the car to clean the inside? I took delivery of a 997 White/Tan/Black Top Conv a couple of weeks ago and want to keep it looking new :-)

Thanks...

Re: And there you have it folks

Yup.

"Unless the car gets muddy I never wash it. I drive my Porsche on the weekends only so I never wash it"

"To ease the pain of waxing I wax one or two panels only everyweek"

You don't wash the car but you wax it ?

Nobody has to wash their car. Hell, I know some people that are perfectly happy and think their car looks great and I look at it and see something entirely different. What some people think isn't scratching to me is a bad finish. Just like IMO there's no way a cars rims look clean unless they look spankin new and there's no way to get them like that without washing them. And they get dirty (imo) rain or no rain, NY or CA driving within 250 miles of driving. For me 250 miles is a 1 week's driving. So for me after 250 miles the wheels and the car looks dirty and should be washed. But I've heard people on this forum say they like the way their cars look when they're dirty.

Everybody sees things differently I guess. I'm one of those anal OCD people. Driving around in a dirty car makes me uncomfortable. My wife thinks her car that looks like a big pocket book inside and you could write your name in the dust on the paint looks great. Matter of degrees. The more I read opinions from different people the more I realize 1) Everyone is different 2) What some people see as acceptable is anything but for me 3)I'm a little sick when it comes to keeping my cars cherry.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question:

How do you get the inside of the rims clean? I'm talking about where the brakes are? Do you take the rim off the car to clean the inside? I took delivery of a 997 White/Tan/Black Top Conv a couple of weeks ago and want to keep it looking new :-)

Thanks...

See the long handle blue brush in the pic below ? That works good for the inside of the rims. Dunk the brush in soapy water (car wash soap & water) After you use the brush and hose off the rim you can use a towel to dry. Griots or Meguiars has wheel brushes.

Like these for $7.95 :
    http://www.properautocare.com/mevebr.html

http://superiorcarcare.net/wheelbrushes.html

The brush will not fit. What I am talking about is hub part of the rim.

How do you wash your rims?

Well for this car, I simply reach in with my filthy wet rag and wipe down the surface. This is an easy task, thanks to a semi-annual coating of Rejex, brake dust simply does not build up. On other rims, I use a pressure washer, and a sponge stuck on the end of a "reaching stick".

Here is a picture of a wheel well of one of my cars with 44K miles on it.

Re: How do you wash your rims?

I have the full car cleaning kit too - a mix of Autoglym and Meguiars products - but find for those mini washes the Flash (UK name, can't remember the US name and this will now bug me all day!) all in one attachment works great - the device that clips on the hose and filters the water leaving a streak free shine.

Mini washes weekly, full montes - monthly (ish!)

Ah-ha, remembered it now.. US name 'Mr Clean'..... phew, can get on with some work now

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Stra: Have you tried Zaino? Is it any good and is it worth all those steps?!

It's a good product but not worth "all those steps". I like using a good wax.

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Orient Express said:
    Quote:
    Thanks Orient Express - it looks perfect for me. Have you used this for a while and feel that it works well? My concern is if i just use a wet rag to wipe, that it will be scraping the dirt/dust onto the paint as I clean.

Thanks again

The trick is to keep the rag(s) wet, and turn and rinse or use new rags frequently. I typically will go through 6-10 rags when wiping down the car. As the rag accumulates the dirt, set it aside and get a clean wet one.

Orient Express - The other day on the other thread you said you never take your car out in the rain. Did you mention this ???? I know the type of dust (not dirt) you're dealing with because I don't take my Ferrari out in the rain either. But the dirt you're seeing on those rags is being dragged across the clear coat. rejex (which I would never use again) or not. The dust that settles on a fair weather car is much smaller but I still would never use the dirty rag method. MMD and I talked about this same thing on the "wash 997" thread a while back.

For guys that use their cars more frequently like I use my Porsche wiping dirty rags against your is NOT the way to do it. It's work (and dirty work at that) just to avoid doing it right. And you maybe can get away with washing a fair weather car twice a year if you never take out in the rain but for an everyday car, no way. Not if you like your car as clean as I do. Especially living in the North East US. Just one drive in a good rain and you definately need a wash. Just to clean the wheels after a rain (with the rag method) you would need 10 rags. I'll be dirty as hell and you're going to scratch the rims. I guarantee it.

eddie - If your car gets as dirty as mine from using it everyday there's no substitute or short cuts for doing it right. If your car gets as dirty as mine there's no way I would clean it with dirty rags. To answer your question - Yes, you will most likey scratch the clear coat or even scratch into the paint. It's pretty obvious by the dirt you see on the rag what's happening when you use rags to wipe a dirty car. You may only catch a small dirt particle and create fine scratches into the clear coat but chances are you will grab a larger dirt particle and drag it across the paint and do some nice damage. It's not worth it. Treat your baby with respect and take the time to do it right. Trust me on this guys - Don't wipe your dirty car with wet rags.

Thanks Stradale for clearing things up for me. I guess for me being safe, and recognising that I am no expert detailer, it makes sense to just wash the car and avoid the risk of scraping small particles of dirt accross my car.

Thanks again.

Anytime.

Quote:
    bstew said:
    The brush will not fit. What I am talking about is hub part of the rim.

Ahhh, gotcha ! Depending on the type of wheel. (if it's the sport design it's very tough to clean the inside) For the classics or S wheels you can use use one of these smaller wheel/hub brushes. Here it is in a kit from "Detailing Dynamics" - very good friends of mine. Ask for Eddie or Matt. :
    http://detailingdynamics.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=WT

Here you can buy the "Wheel spoke brush" alone for $9.95 (bottom of the page)
    http://detailingdynamics.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=DA

If you go to their "On-line store" (top of the page in the middle) theres a bunch of good detailing products:
    http://www.detailingdynamics.com/

This stuff is amazing:
    http://detailingdynamics.com/Merchant2/m...ategory_Code=DC

For the brush you may even be able to find one cheaper I haven't looked around, my friends place was the first thing that came to mind.

Man, this many pages on car washing???? WOW!!! I'm not even going to attempt to read all this.....

How do I approach car care??

1. Clean your friggin car if it's dirty, PERIOD. That might be once a week, or once a month, depending on how often you drive, the roads, and the weather. I haven't washed my 997S in a month, because it's been sitting in the garage (been busy, been travelling, and the weather has stunk in-between). If you're cleaning it RIGHT, however you do it, you won't hurt a damn thing.

2. If you don't mind it being dirty, well, fine. Myself, a dirty car drives me nuts, just like wearing the same underwear for days is fairly revolting. The whole, "it's meant to be driven" is just a lazy person's lame and convenient excuse for being slovenly. You don't treat your home like a landfill, you don't treat your clothing like shop rags, so why treat your Porsche like a lawn tractor?? You probably spend more time sitting in it, than you do sitting on your couch at home. Is your couch a disgusting mess as well, and you just sit amidst it obliviously munching on chips, letting the crumbs settle where they may, mumbling "Ahh, a couch is meant to be sat upon..."??? As I said, excuses for being a dirty and lazy person, that's all I see.

3. If the car is not muddy, then, the myriad of Quick-Detail, California Duster, sponge-bathing, etc.... solutions are perfectly acceptable time saving alternatives, that won't hurt a damn thing, AGAIN, as long as you're doing it right.

4. Doing it right??? That means understanding the relationship between your paint surface, pressure, materials, and technique. It comes from being very aware of your paint surface, in detail, noticing every microscopic flaw that might befall it, and in time, through trial and error usually, learning where the threshold is between cleaning a surface, and damaging it. People's eyes differ, as I can see immense detail from yards away, and some people with paint finishes that look like a well-weathered garbage dumpster think their paint is perfect... It's all in your knack for detail and your level of standard, so it's all relative. Suffice it to say, I do all my washing and waxing work with my hand. I don't use brushes or tools, because they numb and insulate you from the "feel" you need to be working over such delicate surfaces. Tactile sensations are the key to not damaging your paint, as you can feel anomolies under your hand, through the wax pad, and react accordingly. Things like washing bugs off the nose are delicate operations, and you really need to feel what you're doing.

5. That said, there's no substitute for a good soapy soaking wash, at some point, to really get down into the cracks and crevices to achieve a real "clean". For show cars, it's more of a compromise, because you're trying to maintain a level of detail in places that you cannot reach to dry off and ward against water-spot accumulation. Each method, dry-wash vs. wet wash has its level of compromise. But in my opinion and experience, for a car that is driven more than a few times a year, the wet wash is the optimal way, with more pluses than minuses as compared to no-water methods. With no water, you gain speed and ease, and you don't really hurt anything, but the road dust and grime accumulates and accumulates in places that only a strong hose and detergent will rinse out.

Lastly, just use a wash-cloth, soap, and your hand to wash the inside of the wheel. Brushes do a worse job, and take more time to wrestle with, in my experience. Your fingers can make quick work of all the complex surfaces and curves.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Stra: Have you tried Swissol?

Agree with 99% of what you said. Especially the living in dirt is disgusting part. Waxing by hand I agree with too.

The part that I disagree with is using a brush isn't safe for washing. Washing with 100% cotton towels like beach or bath towels is all I used for about 20 years. I used cotton Bath towels then tried the sheep skin mitt which I know you don't like either because it's potential for grabbing dirt and scratching the paint. Then I switched to micro-fiber. But that's why I don't like using bath towels or micro fiber to wash a dirty car anymore. (for drying a clean car micro-fiber is great) No matter how much you can "feel" with a towel you wont be able to feel a grain of sand in the towel before it scratches the paint. Wet towels are heavy. If there's dirt on the car imo there's too much pressure with a heavy wet towel on the clear coat. I think that's a big reason you can see swirl marks with even cotton towels. And if you use a very small ligter towel you need a dozen of them. It's like when you see all the swirl marks (or worse) on your paint after letting guys in a car wash use bath towels. So it's best to use something that wont grab hold of a piece of dirt. I started using Griots boars hair brush for washing about 2 years ago.. It's an expensive brush but if you ever tried it you'd see what I mean. Not only is it safer, it's quicker, leaves no lint and will not grab a logo or panel edge like a towel. http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1001&SKU=66073 ..... I will on occasion use a micro fiber cloth if I had a bug splatter that needed attention. I will also use a micro-fiber cloth with speedshine for finger prints etc. And the special micro-fiber drying towel works great but only after I know the car has been washed clean.

IMO pretty much the same goes for using cotton or even micro fiber towels to clean the the wheels. For me using the right wheel brush doesn't "take more time to wrestle with" it takes me about half the time. Dunk it in the sudsy water, apply and re-dunk. No switching to the clean side like a towel, not necessary the dirt comes off in the water, unlike towels. And you can hose them off and they're ready for next time, unlike wheel towels that you need to launder. And I find you can clean the little crevices in the wheels much faster and easier then trying to clean them out with a wet towel. Bath towels for the wheels is all I knew about since I started washing my own cars when I first got my drivers license 22 years ago.I still use a cotton towel to dry the wheels once they have been cleaned and that's the ONLY towel that actually needs to be put in the laundry afterwards. Using a good wheel brush not only makes things much quicker, effective and a lot less dirty than but it's also less abrasive. If you've ever noticed on the 997's wheels sometimes small dirt particles will adhere to the inside of the rim. It almost feels like a piece of hardened grease. If you wipe or catch the dirt with a towel it does in fact scratch the rim. It happened to me 3 or 4 times with my Porsche Turbo . Using a wheel brush with a long handle like this one : http://www.autogeek.net/tiwhbr.html makes it so easy to clean the front of the wheel but it makes it really fast and easy to get the inside of the rim. Especially with Carrera classics or S wheels. I look back on how I used to clean the inside of my wheels on my knees with soapy, dirty towels and can't believe I used to do it that way. Dun no, the people that I've showed and have tried have thanked me up and down. And I don't mess up my wife's washing machine with very dirty towels.

It's not as obvious with lighter color cars but with my black (like your 997) 996 Turbo and my black M5 I would to wax (IMO) after about 3 or 4 washes when I used bath towels. Most people wouldn't notice but I would see the finish didn't look as deep. In the direct sun light you could see micro scratches from some angles. When I switched to my new method I stopped seeing the micro swirl/scratch marks. It's like night and day. Because you're using soap and water either method is safe. But since I changed my old habit I look back and can't believe that's how I washed each one of my cars 20 to 30 times a year. I think a lot of the differences on how we choose our care care methods may also be related to the different environments we drive our cars. In NY Metro the weather and the roads etc. can be really bad for guys trying to maintain a cherry ride. Over a long time I've found a system that is better IMO than anything else I've tried.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Stra: Have you tried Swissol?

Don't think so.

Thanks for the info. I will give the products a try. Here is a pic of my wheels for a better idea of what I am up against.

Nightmare to clean - I agree! That's why I didn't order them. They look great, but not that great! Sorry!

Quote:
    bstew said:
    Thanks for the info. I will give the products a try. Here is a pic of my wheels for a better idea of what I am up against.

Don't order the wheel brush I mentioned though. With the Sport Design wheels it wont work to clean the inside of the rims because there's not enough space between the spokes.

Check this out :

"If there is a single maintenance activity that offers the biggest benefit to your car's appearance, it's keeping your car clean through regular washing. Washing is the process of removing loose dirt and road film from your car's exterior surfaces. That means more than just a good hosing. You have to scrub it with shampoo and a sponge or wash mitt.Washing can be a double-edged sword, though, as even the mildest soaps can remove the protection from your car's paint, causing premature oxidation. Detergents can dull your car's finish even faster. For many years, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and many other fine-automobile makers recommended using only pure water to wash your car.

The high-quality car wash shampoos made today are very gentle on paint, plastic and rubber. A good car wash shampoo provides lubrication to prevent scratching and conditioners to maintain the shine. Be sure to select a quality product that's not counterproductive to your detailing efforts.

As well as a good shampoo, it takes a variety of tools to correctly wash a car. I like using brushes to clean hard-to-reach areas, such as between body panels. I also like using brushes on lower body panels, where road grease and tar collect. Make sure your brushes are paint-safe, such as this brush from OXO. The Meguiar's Body Brush has a long handle and is exceptionally safe.

A towel is a towel, right? Unfortunately, this is not correct. If you grew up in a house like mine, Mom retired the old bath towels to the garage for car and dog duty. What Mom didn't realize is that most bath towels use a backing material that contains heavy polyester thread. The edges of the towel are stitched with polyester thread, too. Pound for pound, polyester is stronger than steel. This is great for long-lasting bath towels, but it's not so good for your car's paint. Traditional polyester and polyester blend thread scratches automotive paint finishes. Use paint-safe microfiber or 100% cotton detailing towels.

Your choice of wash tools is important, too. You should find a wash tool that is comfortable for you to use, but take a few things into consideration. First, your wash tool should hold a lot of soapy water. The more it holds, the more soapy water you can get on your car. This is important for lubrication. The lubrication created by soapy water is what prevents dirt from scratching the paint."

Dittos. Bstew, you've got stunning wheels, but I always try to make wheel choices that give me BOTH great looks and ease of cleaning, to make life easier. You've dug your own grave there.

O.K. Stradale, I give in, I'm gonna have to try that pig's fur brush... But you've still gotta have a micro-fiber or soft terry in the bucket for bugs and tar and things that require careful pressure. But you're likely spot-on regarding the brush allowing you to go longer between wax jobs. It makes perfect sense in that respect.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Dittos. Bstew, you've got stunning wheels, but I always try to make wheel choices that give me BOTH great looks and ease of cleaning, to make life easier. You've dug your own grave there.

O.K. Stradale, I give in, I'm gonna have to try that pig's fur brush... But you've still gotta have a micro-fiber or soft terry in the bucket for bugs and tar and things that require careful pressure. But you're likely spot-on regarding the brush allowing you to go longer between wax jobs. It makes perfect sense in that respect.

"pig's fur brush" LOL !!

Definately. The brush will not remove bugs or tar. It's too soft for that kinda job. I know our bug situation is nothing like you encounter down south but when I do get a bug splat it hits my 3M film on the bumper and I use a micro-fiber cloth and speedshine. Speedshine really isn't meant for cleaning bug splat but I go from easiest to use and less abrasive possible to something else if I can't remove it. So far the speedshine has removed the little splats that I have gotton with no problem. Probably because I take care of it right away. For something like tar I will use an old MF cloth (that will get thrown away afterwards) and soapy water. Now that you mention it that's what I sometimes get on the inside of my rims. I thought it might be grease but it's tar. Sometimes a small drop of it will stick to the inside of my rims and then dirt adheres to it. This is what I'm very careful about removing because it scratched the inside of my 996TT rims.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and really,really hope you like the brush.

I have the 19" carrera S wheels and those are a fair challenge to clean. The sports design looks like a lifelong task.

I don't enjoy car cleaning and polishing at all, so I seek the best compromise... basically trying to keep it reasonably clean and protected to minimize the dirt accumulation and thus the amount of work needed to keep it looking good . I have my Boxster hand washed every week or two (with manual aftercare by me) and polish it twice a year. The paint is also protected by Diamond brite paint sealant which I hope to keep fresh by monthly applications of a conserver. The leather gets cleaned and conserved about every month or two and I plan on applying the rag top conserver once a year as well (haven't done it yet). The wheel insides are cleaned with towels, under a lot of curses on my side and amused comments on my neighbours' side. I'm contemplating to try the long handled brush though.. maybe that spares me the bruises on the back of my hands.

Really appreciate Stradale's and Boss' input, just wish I could muster more enthusiasm for the actual task. That said, a clean black sports car is unmatched in sex appeal.

Re: If you coat your car with Rejex

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    dweiser said:
    Any special advice on what to do to a ragtop, if anything?

Just hose it down with the water hose, there's no need for soap. Do this especially and even in between car cleanings if there are bird droppings or other stain-making spots. If you towel-wipe it dry, the ragtop acts like velcro that attracts lint. Just drop a towel on top to soak up the water or let it dry on its own-I've even used my Black and Decker leaf blower (as suggested by a rennteamer) to facilitate drying.

BTW, I have used the Armour All wax gel after cleaning, it's an extra 5 minutes of "elbow grease," and it looks great.

Al,
    Regarding the towel leaving lint. Agree 100%. If you use a cotton towel they leave lint behind on the top. Griots has a "micro-fiber drying towel" that is perfect for the paint and the top.
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1003&SKU=11023

It doesn't leave lint, ever. Once it's clean you can use a convertible top protectant. This one from "RAGGTOP" works great. It has U.V. protection so it helps prevent the sun from damaging the top's color.
    http://www.convertibletops.com/cleanandprotect.html

That micro -fiber towel is very different from the other micro-fiber towels Griots has. It absorbs water like a sponge so you don't get the streaking like you do with a cotton bath towel and there's less risk it will pick up a dirt particle. Best thing since sliced bread.

Someone just PM'd me about the MF towel to dry. It's NOT the "Micro Fiber Drying Towel". That one is okay but the one that is awesome is the - "Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel".......The "Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel" acts like a sponge.

Code #11023

The Ultra Thick towel is a must have. Buy or 2 or 3, they come in handy when drying your car. Once the get wet, they don't work well on glass.

The Boar's hair brush is probably the best car washing accessory you can buy. The brush is probably 16" wide and speeds the washing process dramatically. Though, don't bother buying the smaller version - it's a complete waste of money.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Someone just PM'd me about the MF towel to dry. It's NOT the "Micro Fiber Drying Towel". That one is okay but the one that is awesome is the - "Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel".......The "Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel" acts like a sponge.

Code #11023

Thanks man,
    Now if only it would stop raining every day here in the northeast US, so I could try it out. . . .

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Code #11023

Thanks man,
    Now if only it would stop raining every day here in the northeast US, so I could try it out. . . .

Seriously, this rain is making me depressed, I haven't driven my baby in over a week

Same here... A whole week of rain is just too much! With all the rain and flood in NY metro area, I ended up up driving my new C2S... maybe about 100 feet!!! Up the flatbed truck at the dealer, then down the flatbed into my garage an hour later! Has not been driven since!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777912 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441968 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262909 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261140 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85395 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5673 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880819 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816348 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM