Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bolt down that spare! Eeeeasy.

Top photo shows where nutplate is riveted.

Middle photo shows nutplate weldment

Bottom shows tire secured in position

I chose to put tire off to passengers side because more useable room on driver's side remains. Mounted hub inside (toward cabin) so there's also more room.

Very secure though sheet metal that nut plate is riveted to is not exactly crash proof. Will definitely hold tire VERY securely for serious driving not involving a crash.

Re: Bolt down that spare! Eeeeasy.

Why would you want to loose all of your trunk space ..... can of goo .. plugs .. Porsche roadside assistance ... AAA ... cell phones .. has anyone ever got in to trouble with no spare . Last time I had a bad flat I stuck a l plug in it and used filled it with air . ( you should keep a little air generator but I really think a spare is over kill unless you are off road .

looks fantastic. Will try to replicate.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Why would you want to loose all of your trunk space ..... can of goo .. plugs .. Porsche roadside assistance ... AAA ... cell phones .. has anyone ever got in to trouble with no spare .

Porsche Roadside Assistance is notoriously slow. AAA will scratch their ass over a new Porsche (especially in a non-metropolitan area)- they are often afraid to touch them. Leaving your car on the side of the road is not cool if you ever want to see it again (intact). Finally, the "goo" does not always work. I tried goo on a Mercedes tire once and all it did was make a mess and blow out the hole - I guess the hole was way too big.

I ordered a spare.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Why would you want to loose all of your trunk space ..... can of goo .. plugs .. Porsche roadside assistance ... AAA ... cell phones .. has anyone ever got in to trouble with no spare . Last time I had a bad flat I stuck a l plug in it and used filled it with air . ( you should keep a little air generator but I really think a spare is over kill unless you are off road .

No such thing as overkill when you are fully prepared to solve a problem in 15 minutes that might otherwise take literally ALL DAY.

Quote:
    I tried goo on a Mercedes tire once and all it did was make a mess and blow out the hole - I guess the hole was way too big.

you need to use the plug with the goo ... I think the spare thing is overkill ....... reminds me of my parents always worrying about everything .. If it were a real problem Porsche would put a spare in the car .............. the key is using the plug with the goo ! At the very worst if you need to leave the car for awhile it is insured . But in the end if you can not drive without a spare and relax I guess you got to carry that thing around with you . For me the main reason I love these cars is for road trips and the trunk space is sacred .

Can someone give me some info on the tyre plug? Part of my thinking is that if I use the goo, I kill the tyre, when in the past I've always just fixed my flat tyres. Where can buy this plug kit?

Thanks

Almost any single puncture (thru the tread) can be repaired by the use of a tire plug ... you should get a new tire after a flat so go ahead and use the goo it is just that much better of a seal with the plug . These guys make a top quality plug kit . Here is the safety seal kit

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/safety_seal/

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Almost any single puncture (thru the tread) can be repaired by the use of a tire plug ... you should get a new tire after a flat so go ahead and use the goo it is just that much better of a seal with the plug . These guys make a top quality plug kit . Here is the safety seal kit

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/safety_seal/

The problem with this logic is that you will need to remove the wheel/tire to fix most punctures. We don't have a jack.

when you start filling the tire with gooo or air it becomes apparent where the hole is ... just stuff the plug in it you do not need to take the tire off .

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Can someone give me some info on the tyre plug? Part of my thinking is that if I use the goo, I kill the tyre, when in the past I've always just fixed my flat tyres. Where can buy this plug kit?

Thanks

Avail in any auto supply store or online. Looks something like photo below. Will work well enough to ride around on tire until it's conveeeeeenient to get it properly fixed.

I've asked around a few tire repair places and they all say they do not mind scraping/cleaning out the goo; it doesn;t effect the ability of the tire to be repaired.
    /uploads/146204-au1010.jpg

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    when you start filling the tire with gooo or air it becomes apparent where the hole is ... just stuff the plug in it you do not need to take the tire off .

It's not that easy. You reeeeeeally should remove the tire from car to do the DIY plug. Takes alot of force to insert plug, you need maximum leverage possible (not to mention a fair amount of strength).

Thanks guys. Its funny, it is something that I really find ridiculous of porsche - not at least allowing a buyer the choice of having a spare or not; but I also know that in 21 years of driving, I've never actually had a blow-out while driving. All of my punctures have been from nails that deflate over time. Its just the possibilty that is bugging.

I know. I've ordered a spare, and will have the option of carying it with me when I want. I don't need the trunk space as I don't take long road trips.

One advantage is that it will hold the front better when turning hard. I will also buy the spare for the peace of mind.

Quote:
    I don't take long road trips.

Quote:
    eddie said:
    One advantage is that it will hold the front better when turning hard. I will also buy the spare for the peace of mind.

I don't think Isaac Newton would have agreed with you on that one, even though he never drove a Porsche.

Increasing the weight of the front end of the car not only increases the "grip" between tire and road. It also increases the centrifugal force tending to break the grip of the tire by the same proportion. Otherwise a 40 ton truck should have better roadholding than a Lotus Elise.

Really! When I used to race around as kids, some of us would put a sand bag in the front to hold it down!

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    eddie said:

I don't think Isaac Newton would have agreed with you on that one, even though he never drove a Porsche.

Increasing the weight of the front end of the car not only increases the "grip" between tire and road. It also increases the centrifugal force tending to break the grip of the tire by the same proportion. Otherwise a 40 ton truck should have better roadholding than a Lotus Elise.

Any articles out there comparing handling of an Elise and a 40 ton truck? Sorry... just wanted to type my three yr. old daughters name.

You named your daughter '40 ton truck'?

Quote:
    brunner said:
    You named your daughter '40 ton truck'?

Elise ,, nice name..

throt..

Quote:
    GA5656 said:
    Any articles out there comparing handling of an Elise and a 40 ton truck? Sorry... just wanted to type my three yr. old daughters name.

This is getting complicated. The Lotus Elise was named by the company's owner (then) after his grand-daughter, and now you have named your daughter after the car.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    GA5656 said:

This is getting complicated. The Lotus Elise was named by the company's owner (then) after his grand-daughter, and now you have named your daughter after the car.

Well... really after the Cure song. But son (5) is Emerson... maybe he'll be a good driver.

Quote:
    eddie said:

If you run on a tyre flat -- even just one revolution -- then you should replace it. That's what damages the sidewalls and will later cause a blowout.

Stephen

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Where do you suggest I put the plug:

Stephen

Hmmm that reminds me - the dealer never called me to tell me that my spare was in.

And yes, low profile tires can really make a mess - all the reason to have a spare.

Quote:
    Where do you suggest I put the plug:

call Porsche roadside assistance .... For long road trips I want the trunk space .

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    call Porsche roadside assistance .... For long road trips I want the trunk space .

Two of us were on a long trip and of course the luggage compartment was packed.

This happened about 200 km from Istanbul. I limped into Istanbul. Just prior to that, I had driven through Romania and Bulgaria. There are no Porsche dealers in either Romania or Bulgaria. It would have been a loooong wait for Porsche roadside assistance. As it was, it took a week for the Istanbul Porsche dealer to change a tyre (no, I wouldn't recommend them).

The reason MMD's wheel takes up so much luggage compartment space is because it has been added after the fact. When the wheel sits properly on the floor of the luggage compartment it takes up much less space (as is the case with my 996 Turbo).

Despite all of this, I generally do agree that today's tyres are very reliable and going without a spare is not unreasonable.

Stephen

Quote:
    eddie said:

Actually he is partially correct. Not that the car handles better with the spare (or added wieght in front) however there are certain situations with pasm engaged in stiff mode where the spare in front actually reduced "wheel hop" from roads while taking sweeping turns. I guess the laws of physics come to play when your car won't handle well when airborne. In that case the spare/weight handling theory may come to play but a better solution would be to leave the suspension in normal mode until the bumps smooth out. MMD, I like the way you bolted the spare down, very nice!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777207 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262779 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260951 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85223 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5568 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880655 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815942 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM