Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Killing the blasted seatbelt warning chime

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I wear a seat belt. I don't want to hear the bell. I only want to wear the seat belt.

You wear a seat belt all the time? If you do, you should never hear the chime, so what's the problem?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Don't you have a remote gate opener?

I used to be able to reach out of the window with a proximity key, but they built flats next door and managed to change the line of the curb, meaning it is hard to get the car close enough now - so i usually have to take the belt off to each

I agree about the 'getting louder' comment, i hadnt even noticed it did this as i only get up to about 8 mph on my 'unbelted' stretch.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I wear a seat belt. I don't want to hear the bell. I only want to wear the seat belt.

You wear a seat belt all the time? If you do, you should never hear the chime, so what's the problem?

As I said earlier, if I stop at a light and open the belt to get something out of my pocket or stop at a guardhouse and have to open my belt to get out my ID or open my belt to get change for a toll, I shouldn't have to hear the bell. I'm going to put my belt back on without the annoying bell. In my case, bell is annoying and accomplishes nothing. I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

This is perfect timing. A guy just came to wash my car. I had to put the seatbelt on just to back the car out of the garage a grand total of 20' and make sure I turned off the car before opening the belt. Yeah, that makes sense. No one was injured so I guess it worked as designed.

Why has this discussion become so complicated? Its origin was a simple technical question. Why has this become a discussion about whether it makes sense to wear a seatbelt or not?

All you pseudo-social-psychologists should STFU and stick to the technical aspects of the original question. It's as easy as that... because this discussion doesn't change anything about social morale towards buckling up. Get it?

As a serious query, and I'm not going to have a go at anyone, but is there a major difference in how the ding-dinging is implemented between US and ROW cars?

An earlier comment about un-clipping the belt to get something out of your pocket when stopped at a red light prompted me to try this yesterday. What do you know? No beeping! Sure, the 'buckle up' light came on, but it didn't beep at me. I felt a little vulnerable, sat there unbuckled, it has to be said. That's conditioning for you!

Similarly, it doesn't beep unless you're going over 6mph. So IMHO it should be possible to reverse out of a garage sufficiently slowly not to trigger the beep. (Though US garages are probably bigger than our stupidly tiny ones, so 6mph is probably quite easy!..?)

Are the US cars configured differently?

Yeah, I know I just can't keep quiet.

Let me confess here. Even I do not wear my seatbelt when reversing my car out of the garage As with all safety related issues common sense prevails. Actually, on my car at the speed I reverse out of my garage the chime doesn't activate. I wonder why .

I'm fed up with stating the obvious on this thread. Your last non-sensical comment makes we wonder who I'm communicating with here.

Look, it seems to me that most people in here find it sensible to wear a seatbelt when driving their car - be it a shorter or longer trip.
    Personally I find it unwise to not wear a belt at all times -when not parking or reversing.
    Some guys in here don't feel the need to wear a belt at all times, and I'm pretty sure noone else in here can change their attitude in that regard.
    I believe some non-seatbelters hear us saying "you're lame for not wearing a belt" instead of "please enjoy you car to the fullest, and be safe".

Shortly before my father passed away from "old man's" diabetes I visited him and saw him sitting in his chair smoking a cigarette, ven tho the doctors had stricktly asked him not to. When I asked him why on earth he would run such a lame risk, he replied "to me smoking is quality of life..."
    I answered "No, dad. It's quality of death".

IMO wearing a seatbelt is the same. Not wearing one hardly improves anyones QoL as much as it increases the risk of serious injury should an accident happen. Simple math.

My father made a choice which was his to make.
    Had he opted for no smoking and a healthier lifestyle he would no doubt have been alive today.
    I believe you have the same choice everyday: Wearing the seatbelt or not.
    Here in Denmark most accidents happen on short trips at relatively low speeds. But nobody can cushion the blow from even the slightest collision by simply holding the wheel with your arms straight - you need a belt.

IMO the choice is a very simple one. Aks yourself
    "Do I enjoy riding with no belt SO much, that I'm willing to run the (perhaps small) risk of being unprotected whould an accident happen, or do I like being better protected thru the discomfort of spending 5 seconds buckling up?"

If you have kids or simply someone who loves you, I believe you owe it to them to make sure that they don't end up devastated next to your coffin just because you chose to not spend 5 secs buckling up.
    999 out of 1000 times you will never get even close to an accident on any given trip - but you buckle up for that 1000th time.

But like Martin JS points out, this was originally a simple "how to kill the dingding"-question.

If you wanna kill the chime (a sound which I also really pizzes me off) I suggest some brainiac in here with an engineer degree studies the electronic charts of the Boxster and comes up with a solution.
    Of course there is a hack that can solve this - or you can simply do that 2-dollar-buckle trick someone in here talked about.

Hi all,

Actually, on my 1999 Boxster, my seatbelt warning chime starts ringing BEFORE I move. If you take longer than a certain amount of time (like 10 to 20 seconds) it starts chiming away - which is really annoying if I'm doing something while I'm stationary! I am originally from England (moved over here only a month ago and bought this car a week ago), and we don't have stupid chimes on most of our cars (they usually trust people to do it themselves)... The really new cars might have the chimes, but I'm pretty sure a 1999 Boxster in the UK doesn't have this (as I had a 2001 Boxster and it didn't have the chime)...

I'm sure it's pretty easy to remove (you could short out the microswitch in the seatbelt recepticle, but that could affect the airbag operation - IF you weren't wearing your seatbelt in an accident)... If you just disconnect the speaker, it will stop it from chiming for other reasons - such as when you turn the key on my Boxster it chimes for the duration of the 'Oil level gauge' countdown - dunno why it does that too...

So, basically, on Porsches that chime even at standstill, stopping the chime would be a nice thing... It does seem that car manufacturers in the US seem seriously preoccupied with making sure they have minimal liability against someones stupidity - and with good cause as people here do sue at the drop of a hat - and unfortunately it seems to be heading that way in England too - look at all the 'Accident Claim' companies springing up everywhere!

Please note that I think seat belts should *always* be worn, but if you don't want to for short trips, that's your own perogative. I just don't like the stupid chime at standstill!!

Thanks!

Shash

Speaking of engineering, I'll take a look at disabling the chime (AT YOUR OWN RISK)... Hopefully it'll be the same procedure on any Boxster

Thanks!

Shash

Oops, I just went outside and checked, and I made a mistake... My seat belt chime doesn't occur after first starting up... However, it DOES happen if I were to put the seatbelt on, and then take it off again straight away - the chime starts chiming, even when stationary! That gets annoying if you put your seatbelt on, but then take it off to do something...

Anyway, I'll take a look at the disablement...

Thanks!

Shash

Has anyone thought about using earplugs ?

I would love to be able to disable this chime too. I know, you guys have said a mouthful about your opinions on this, but at least on the US models, the warning chime goes off even when you're stopped and you remove the belt. It stops after a few rings, like five seconds, but it's still annoying and like others, I don't feel I need the warning.

I feel naked without a seat belt. I wear it whenever I drive, but for instance, if I pull up to an ATM I can never reach the keys without taking off the belt. I have to take off the belt and lean out of the car. The chiming is annoying.

It should be something that's fairly easy to defeat, however. If I weren't so lazy, I'd take a probe to the wires by the seat belt latch and figure out which one is changing voltage when the belt's plugged in or out. Most likely it goes high when the belt's plugged in. Should be relatively simple to find IGN power somewhere and fake it out.

Oh, well, unless it's on the fiber bus.... blech...

Need to be careful that it doesn't interfere with the airbag system - I believe the airbag monitors the seatbelt switch for various reasons...

Thanks

Shash

If you're just mimicking the same voltage output that the seatbelt connector normally gives off when a seatbelt is plugged in, I can't see how that would be an issue. I'd still be wearing the belt when driving after all.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802578 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448364 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265913 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6389 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885313 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832018 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM