Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Killing the blasted seatbelt warning chime

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I assume you're being daft!

Unless it's got a passenger weight detector (Like some newer cars... MB?), it wouldn't know you had a passenger...

the 987 doesn't have that... does it? I'll have to go look in the book now!

No, my Merc does it. Just surprised the Boxster doesn't

Quote:
    boothy said:
    On a slightly different note (ding ding), why doesn't the warning chime when the passenger fails to fasten their seat belt ? Or is it just my car ?

The chime is triggered by the car exceeding a certain minimum speed with the ignition switched on, which generally means there is someone sitting in the driver's seat. The chime is switched off again when said driver buckles up. Neither driver's nor passenger's seat needs to have a weight sensor installed for this system to operate.

Quote:
    On your short journey, when a car pulls out or stops unexpectedly in front and you hit it, and you go straight through the windscreen suffering potentially serious injury ranging from lacerations, to a broken neck, or have a quick and unexpected appointment with an undertaker, you will, if you are lucky, regret the stupidity of not wearing that belt at ALL times. Even on the shortest journey and at moderate speed. The airbag will NOT save you - that is why it is known as an SRS - Supplementary Restraint System.

Neither will the seatbelt.

I go faster than this on my bicycle for a far greater number of miles without any belts at all.

Does that make me a Kamikaze?

Hypothetical thinking would keep you in a bunker for most of your life, where everything is utterly safe and dull.

Safety is in awareness, not hypothetical problem solving.

No amount of preparation can protect you adequately.

Quote:
    jabo said:I go faster than this on my bicycle for a far greater number of miles without any belts at all.

With a helmet?

Quote:
    jabo said:
    Quote:
    On your short journey, when a car pulls out or stops unexpectedly in front and you hit it, and you go straight through the windscreen suffering potentially serious injury ranging from lacerations, to a broken neck, or have a quick and unexpected appointment with an undertaker, you will, if you are lucky, regret the stupidity of not wearing that belt at ALL times. Even on the shortest journey and at moderate speed. The airbag will NOT save you - that is why it is known as an SRS - Supplementary Restraint System.

I go faster than this on my bicycle for a far greater number of miles without any belts at all.

Hypothetical thinking would keep you in a bunker for most of your life, where everything is utterly safe and dull.

Sorry, I have to disagree. Use of the seat belt has been proved time after time after time to minimise injury and save lives. Wearing it does not detract in any way from enjoyment of driving. Being dead or seriously injured for the sake of 5 seconds to "belt up" is crass stupidity. Don't take chances with safety in any aspect of your life.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    jabo said:
    Quote:

Sorry, I have to disagree. Use of the seat belt has been proved time after time after time to minimise injury and save lives. Wearing it does not detract in any way from enjoyment of driving. Being dead or seriously injured for the sake of 5 seconds to "belt up" is crass stupidity. Don't take chances with safety in any aspect of your life.

I'm totally with Dreamcar on this.
    Jabo, liek I've said before: It's absolutely your choice wheteher you wanna buckle up or not, and the risk is yours to run.
    However, what is NOT your risk to run IMO, is the risk of causing heartache and trauma to others should you get injured or killed due to not wearing a belt. Your family, other people involved in a potential accident - not to mention the costs to society patching you up and saving your life.

I think it's the wrong forum to be airing thoughts like "if you wanna be safe stay at home or in a bunker", since most of us have chosen to invest in a car that IMO shows that Rennteamers as a group are anything but dull, bunker-hiding and boredom-seeking individuals.
    Rather we want to enjoy our cars to the max while making sure this thrill does not cost us our lives.

"No amount of preparation can protect you adequately", you say.
    That is perhaps true. But what IS true, is the fact that no protection will provide ZERO protection.

Look at Formula One. Why do they use HANS-systems, super protective cockpits and loads of safetymeasures?
    Hypethetical accidents may happen.

Consider if being "uncool, boring and dull" but alive is better than "cool" and dead.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I have to say, in the UK seat belt wearing has been mandatory for many many years. I feel uncomfortable and 'strange' if I don't wear a belt. It's just a matter of the wearing of the belt becoming habitual.

I live in Belgium and have only had my license for little over a year, but I feel exactly the same way. On those rare occasions where I forget to wear the belt I notice there's something 'wrong' the second the car starts moving.

However I completely agree that you should be able to turn off the warning if you don't like it. Everybody's free to wear sunscr... uh, seatbelts, I mean.

All,

Thanks for the comments and opinions.
    Well meaning they are, of that I am certain.

Quote:
    jabo said:
    All,

Thanks for the comments and opinions.
    Well meaning they are, of that I am certain.

You are entirely welcome. Enjoy many miles of happy and hopefully safe driving.

I'm always amazed by the varying comments here. I'll grant you that seat belts save lives. That's not the point. Annoying chimes do not save lives. I own the car. The car doesn't own me. If I want to turn off the blasted chime, I should be able to. If I stop at a red light and open the belt to get something out of my pocket, I don't need the annoying chime to remind me to buckle up. I'm going to buckle up in a few seconds with or without the chime.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:If I stop at a red light and open the belt to get something out of my pocket, I don't need the annoying chime to remind me to buckle up.

Surely it wouldn't beep in that instance? (It only beeps over here when you're driving faster than walking pace).
    I think the warning beep is not very intrusive at all - I rented a Ford SUV in Canada that was much more intrusive. It beeped the moment you turned the key. I think Porsche have struck a very reasonable balance.

What about the beep that tells you that you're running out of fuel? Or the beep that tells you you're running out of screenwash? Aren't they annoying too? Surely you don't like someone telling you when to fill up with fuel? You'll fill up when you're good and ready!

I can only assume that the strong feeling on this subject by US citizens is because they:
    a) Think that you're somehow not cool if you wear a belt, and people will point at you and laugh.
    b) Feel it infringes their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well feel like.
    c) Don't like the government telling them what to do.
    d) Don't like EUROPEANS telling them what to do!
    e) All of the above.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I'm always amazed by the varying comments here. I'll grant you that seat belts save lives. That's not the point. Annoying chimes do not save lives. I own the car. The car doesn't own me. If I want to turn off the blasted chime, I should be able to. If I stop at a red light and open the belt to get something out of my pocket, I don't need the annoying chime to remind me to buckle up. I'm going to buckle up in a few seconds with or without the chime.

I am not being in any way racist here, but I am afraid it's your country's culture of suing anybody for anything that is the culprit. If there was no warning chime, and someone had an accident for not wearing a seat belt, then someone would then sue Porsche for not reminding them to wear the belt in the first place. Being seen to protect people from themselves is what has to be seen to be done, unfortunately.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:If there was no warning chime, and someone had an accident for not wearing a seat belt

Aha, that is where you are making the mistake - there is no such thing as an accident any more, always someone to blame and therefore sue. I believe even the police in this country have stopped using the abbreviation RTA (Road Traffic Accident), i think it they use the word collision instead now.

Do you really put your seat belt on to back your car out of the garage when you want to wash it? I do not. I apply a cost benefit analysis to putting on my seat belt. The increased safety of wearing it over those 10 metres (and yes, something bad could happen) does not justify those 5 seconds it takes me to put it on.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Do you really put your seat belt on to back your car out of the garage when you want to wash it? Stephen

You don't need a seat belt when going backwards. A collision would force you back into your seat, unless someone following you out of the garage hit you because they were reversing faster than you in which case you would be thrown forward and should have a seat belt on. Now calculate the possibility of someone reversing out of your own garage faster and at the same time as you and I think you will agree that you would probably be OK reversing your car out of your own garage without a belt on.

why cannot some people accept, that other here on the board and in the world LIKE TO HAVE CONTROL OVER THE MACHINE and not the other way around.

it doesnt need mr. porsche himself, nor mr. bush, nor a freaking machine to tell us how to behave in this specific "seatbelt situation" = thats what it is about. not about the use of wearing a seatbelt in general. i think that nobody in the world could argue on a reasonable basis, that NOT wearing a seatbelt is a good and wise thing to do to avoid injuries .. that is for sure.

BUT WE DONT WANT A CAR TO TELL US THAT!!!!!!!!!

and now again

The beeps are super annoying. It sounds louder when you go faster too.
    How come they can't automatically put it on for you? (Surely it should have a button to disable this function)

Quote:
    hodipo said:
    why cannot some people accept, that other here on the board and in the world LIKE TO HAVE CONTROL OVER THE MACHINE and not the other way around.

I'm sure you turn off the PSM all the time, and just hate it when the limiter kills the power at red-line too!

The car will also beep at you if you pull away with the handbrake left slightly on, but none of you are complaining about that nannying!

Lets face it, the real reason why you are all moaning about the beeping is that you just don't want to wear your seatbelts all the time, and the beeping pricks your concience! Own up!

I have only had the thing beep at me ONCE, and that was when I was getting used to the car and had to undo my belt to grab a carpark ticket. If that hadn't happened I wouldn't even be aware that it DID go beep.

Slightly contentious... if Princess Diana had been wearing her seat belt, she probably wouldn't have died. She probably felt safe enough, being driven by someone she trusted, in a big old Merc, and didn't expect to crash!

Now, belt up everyone, and the beeping (and my tirades) will go away!

Quote:
    hodipo said:

it doesnt need mr. porsche himself, nor mr. bush, nor a freaking machine to tell us how to behave in this specific "seatbelt situation" = thats what it is about. not about the use of wearing a seatbelt in general. i think that nobody in the world could argue on a reasonable basis, that NOT wearing a seatbelt is a good and wise thing to do to avoid injuries .. that is for sure.

BUT WE DONT WANT A CAR TO TELL US THAT!!!!!!!!!

and now again

I don't have a problem with the seat belt chime. Probably because I ALWAYS put my seat belt on. I feel incredibly vulnerable if I don't. But don't blame Porsche - read my earlier post about who is to blame for the nanny world in which we live.

As my last post on this thread, I thought I'd divert attention to this "I'm an American, I should be allowed to behave as I like" article (link below), and the debate responses it provoked.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/17/414a5a030e91d?in_archive=1

Is it true that only 68% of Americans wear a seatbelt?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    As my last post on this thread, I thought I'd divert attention to this "I'm an American, I should be allowed to behave as I like" article (link below), and the debate responses it provoked.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/09/17/414a5a030e91d?in_archive=1

Is it true that only 68% of Americans wear a seatbelt?

I'll start with your question, I don't believe the 68% statistic is correct. I have worked as a paramedic for over 20 years and my observations are that a very high percentage of people wear seatbelts now. I do believe that seatbelt laws are partially responsible for this. I did notice a big difference when seatbelt, and helmet, laws were enacted in California.
    The article you linked was interesting. However, it ignores one simple fact. One of the major reasons seatbelt, and helmet, laws were enacted was financial. Not to provide revenue from tickets, but to save money. The healthcare costs to provide care to people that weren't wearing belts or helmets was becoming enormous. Many of those injured either didn't have insurance, or the insurance did not cover all of the costs and therefore had to be paid by the state. One critical injury costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct health care costs. Additional costs are indirect in the form of lost productivity. Aside from the emotional aspect to family members, the financial loss to the family and community is often very high.
    Finally I would like to point out that not all Americans are alike. I don't believe it is fair to paint us all with the same brush. There are more than a few of us that realize we are part of a global community and are a very distressed with what has happened within this country. Where I live we often feel very isolated from many parts of the country because we have such different views. We are a very diverse people and just because 52% of the populace elected a moron, don't hate the other 48%
    And lets not forget we are the biggest consumer for Porsche, so we must be okay on some level.

Quote:
    paralizer said:
    Finally I would like to point out that not all Americans are alike. I don't believe it is fair to paint us all with the same brush. There are more than a few of us that realize we are part of a global community and are a very distressed with what has happened within this country. Where I live we often feel very isolated from many parts of the country because we have such different views. We are a very diverse people and just because 52% of the populace elected a moron, don't hate the other 48%

I have a high regard for the American people as a nation. I've spent some great vacations there and frequently visited when I was an engineer in (what is left) of the British Merchant Navy. I've found the U.S. one of the friendliest places on the planet to visit. But I do get by the attitude of some of the morons here who persistently refuse to be responsible adults and take their own safety seriously. And on the subject of morons, we elected a bigger one who followed yours like a tame puppy dog. Or may be lemming. Enough politics!

Quote:
    paralizer said:I'll start with your question, I don't believe the 68% statistic is correct.

I wasn't saying it was! - I was asking. (See that sneaky little question mark? ) In fact I was referring to a statistic mentioned by one of the respondents to the article. It may well be an old stat, agreed. Completely agree with your comments, thanks for injecting some sound words into the thread.

I'm sorry to bang on, and don't mean to imply that you ALL have this irresponsible attitude. Sorry if my rant has degenerated that way. But some things make me so mad! I just thought the other article raised some relevant arguements that hadn't been covered here yet. That really IS my final post.

pull the speaker out.

I'd like to know if any of the people that are saying you should always wear the belt actually live somewhere (or go to places where) they have to take their belt off (to open a gate or something) then drive for about 10 seconds in a place that no other vehicle could possible be? That is the situation that some people here are talking about.. not driving on open roads or just going round the corner. I dont think this is even a debate about safety and whether to wear a belt - the beeping doesnt make me put on my belt for my 10 second perfectly safe drive, but it is annoying, so what does it achieve? nothing but annoyance.

Comments (sorry, cant remember by who) about PSM and rev limiters etc are just pointless, its about choice, those things help you, and with PSM you still have the choice.. the belt beeping doesnt help you at all - and if some feel it does help them, they can leave it turned on.

Quote:
    Martin Tyler said:
    (I lied)
    I'd like to know if any of the people that are saying you should always wear the belt actually live somewhere (or go to places where) they have to take their belt off (to open a gate or something) then drive for about 10 seconds in a place that no other vehicle could possible be?

Don't you have a remote gate opener?

I do take your point on board though, and confess that this situation is not really the target of my outbursts. It's when people say things like 'The beeping gets louder the faster you go - how annoying!' - that's the attitude that gets me really mad!

[PS - I lied. If I say ANYthing else on the subject, feel free to shout at me.]

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:If I stop at a red light and open the belt to get something out of my pocket, I don't need the annoying chime to remind me to buckle up.

Surely it wouldn't beep in that instance? Why else would I mention it. Yes, it beeps in that instance! . What about the beep that tells you that you're running out of fuel? There is no such beep in my car. I can only assume that the strong feeling on this subject by US citizens is because they:a) Think that you're somehow not cool if you wear a belt, and people will point at you and laugh.
    b) Feel it infringes their constitutional right to do whatever they damn well feel like.
    c) Don't like the government telling them what to do.
    d) Don't like EUROPEANS telling them what to do!
    e) All of the above.:an

You've got a very limited brain if that's all you can think of. How about, " I don't want to hear the damn bell". Is that a good reason? Americans don't feel cool if they're wearing a seat belt? I wear a seat belt. I don't want to hear the bell. I only want to wear the seat belt. I wore the seatbelt before I drove a car with bells. Do you get it? This phobia you have about Americans hating all things European is unfounded. I'd hate the bell if I were driving a Corvette or a Lexus and you sound like a fool to blame it on my car being European. "I dont want the government telling me what to do" is human thing, it's not an American thing. The government works for me. I don't work for the government.

Quote:
    amir sarmad said:
    pull the speaker out.

Where is it located? And will I get an annoying warning message on my display telling me that there is an electrical problem once I pulled out the speaker?

Quote:
    hodipo said:
    of course u are right with your remarks, but i think that it is the CLIENT/DRIVER who should have the choice what to do in his car .. non? i don't want porsche, you or anybody else to tell me what to do in my car, when i am not hurting or putting at danger anybody else, which is not the case if i do not buckle the belt .. so come on: it is a legal question to ask how u can kill the "ding ding" without receiving answers that try to give orders ..

sorry .. but this has to be said ..

I used to think this way about seatbelt laws, and it's not for medical (or ethical or even social) reasons that I now support them (as a neurological specialist, I have seen too many brain-damaged patients from head injuries sustained from impacts potentially prevented with seatbelt use), rather it's economic. While one is free to engage in activities potentially injurious to oneself, the financial, as well as emotional, burden to society of caring for significantly brain-damaged patients is enormous, impacting all citizens' economic well-being. One problem with a completely free society is that one's actions impact on others' lives, one of many reasons for the enactment of laws and regulations.

As for silencing the annoying ding-ding of the seatbelt warning, outside of keeping the seatbelt fastened, I would have two approaches: 1. Hit the throttle so hard with the windows (or softtop if a cab ) down, or 2. crank up the stereo so loud-you can't even hear the engine, let alone the warning chime on the dashboard. But the best solution remains 3. Buckle up dudes. Sorry for coming off so curmudgeonly, but if F1 drivers can buckle up, then so can we.

i give up .. all these comparisons here are simply nonsense .. F1 driver buckle up - so we have to do that as well?? hahaha .. YES, they buckle up, but they dont have to step out of their car to get into the garage .. they are being pulled .. or do you think that alonso would un-buckle, open the pit-door, get back in the car, re-buckle his belt and then drive the 10m securely into the pits??

hahahaha

what a sarcastic point of view ..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779188 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442233 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263102 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261379 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85612 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5803 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881080 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817494 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM