Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Carrera S without Sport Chrono

Will a Carrera S without the Sport Chrono becomes an unattrative car?

Re: Carrera S without Sport Chrono

I wouldn't say unattractive. More like less attractive.

Remember, it's not so much the clock that comes on the dashboard (which, apparently, a lot of us could do without), but it's the other goodies that are including with the Sport Chrono option. So, at the last minute, I had my dealer add this option to my order. Crossing my fingers that all options ordered are in the car...

Quote:
    gmp said:
    Remember, it's not so much the clock that comes on the dashboard (which, apparently, a lot of us could do without), but it's the other goodies that are including with the Sport Chrono option. So, at the last minute, I had my dealer add this option to my order. Crossing my fingers that all options ordered are in the car...

Can agree with this, the clock is the item you will miss the least.
    Other gooodies, esp sportsbutton is top

what is troubling me is that this sport chrono extra (unlike the x51 option) does not boost the hp of the car. It just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit tighter), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the throttle further down)?

Quote:
    superfans said:
    what is troubling me is that this sport chrono extra (unlike the x51 option) does not boost the hp of the car. It just make the throttle response a bit more sensitive (and the suspension a bit tighter), right? so without it, the car should still runs the same way (except one may have to push the throttle further down)?

In one way you're right but, go for an intensive roadtest and you'll discover it makes another car out of it.Difficult to discribe but, it ads some pepper to the sauce without changing the meal completely...
    So dependening on your personal taste,it will please you or not

i wouldn't buy any porsche with this stopwatch. i sit inside and would have to look at this thing all the time. no thanks.

i'm really hoping that they might offer the sportchrono without the "chrono" in the future.

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    i wouldn't buy any porsche with this stopwatch. i sit inside and would have to look at this thing all the time. no thanks.

i'm really hoping that they might offer the sportchrono without the "chrono" in the future.

I don't think it's that dramatic. When you sit in a Sport Chrono equipped 997, the stop watch doesn't bother you as much as you might think. It's mostly on pictures. It's not really nice nor smart, that's true, but it's no disaster as some suggest either.

My Carrera S doesn't have the gimmick clock and neither will my next.

Get the -20mm if you want an option that adds real sparkle to the meal

The clock aside, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that at nurburgring, a sport chrono car without pasm was 3 seconds faster than when not havibg it on. Thats obvious to me since if your throttle and transmission engage quicker you should be able to do a lap quicker. From my own experience clock aside ( I don't even notice it) having the sport butoon changes the car, the throttle sensitivity is awesome and you even get a throatier more aggressive sound coming out the back. I think the money is well spent and you will soon get over the clock.

Hi!

Is the Sport Chrono button comparable with the BMW Z4 sport button concerning the throttle response.

I own a BMW Z4 at the moment and recognize the difference of the throttle response - but there isn't such a big difference as everybody tell from the Sport Chrono.

Any experiences ?

Thanks
    Gregor

In that case maybe F1 drivers should have a 'sport' button and then they would lap faster. In fact why don't they just have an on/off switch ie 0 or 100% throttle and then they would lap 20secs faster per lap?

Quote:
    Sidney1 said:
    Hi!

Is the Sport Chrono button comparable with the BMW Z4 sport button concerning the throttle response.

I own a BMW Z4 at the moment and recognize the difference of the throttle response - but there isn't such a big difference as everybody tell from the Sport Chrono.

Any experiences ?

Thanks
    Gregor

Not sure about the sports button in the Z4, but IMO there
    is a difference between 'sports mode' in BMW's and porsches sports chrono. The difference between the two 'modes' is more noticeable in the Porsche.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    My Carrera S doesn't have the gimmick clock and neither will my next.

Get the -20mm if you want an option that adds real sparkle to the meal

I agree with that.
    If you want to take a real advantage of your car's capabilities, pay yourself driving lessons on a track...
    PDE for example is a good experience.
    Much more effective IMO than subjective tricks.
    By the way, subjectively speaking, I don't like neither the clock nor the throttle response when sport on.

My worry is that, without this option, whether the car's performance and handling will be substantially affected. For example, will a regular Carrera with Sport Chrono drives better than a Carrera S without Sport Chrono?

After a few drives, you don't even notice the chrono on the dash. Its a non issue.

Porsche states that throttle response is improved with Sport Chrono. They have even shown a graph in the brochure of how response is improved.

They couldn't make such a claim if it was false. End of story. And as for the stopwatch on the dash, like Texas911 said, it's a non issue. IMHO, getting sport chrono is a no-brainer.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Porsche states that throttle response is improved with Sport Chrono. They have even shown a graph in the brochure of how response is improved.

They couldn't make such a claim if it was false. End of story. And as for the stopwatch on the dash, like Texas911 said, it's a non issue. IMHO, getting sport chrono is a no-brainer.

Improved means what? "Improved" meaning the way it impresses teenagers by the way it sounds? Improved if you want to burn more gas faster? Improved in giving the illusion that the car's way-hotter than it is?

There's no "improved" performance numbers so what's the big deal?

Sorry in advance for the blunt reply. It's just for rhetorical effect; no offense intended.

Sports Chrono is a gimmick I have driven the 997a with and without this package and whilst you get the impression that the car is responding quicker and appears faster with Sports Chrono on, it really doesn't.It is in my view nothing more than a toy and does nothing for the performance, speed or overall ability of the car.

Quote:
    pic911s said:
    The clock aside, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that at nurburgring, a sport chrono car without pasm was 3 seconds faster than when not havibg it on. Thats obvious to me since if your throttle and transmission engage quicker you should be able to do a lap quicker. From my own experience clock aside ( I don't even notice it) having the sport butoon changes the car, the throttle sensitivity is awesome and you even get a throatier more aggressive sound coming out the back. I think the money is well spent and you will soon get over the clock.

The official lap times for a 997S on the Nurburgring are 8:02 for "Sport PASM setting" and 7:59 for the "Peformance Chassis" - (Walter Rohl, Wheels June 2004)

It is more likely that the improved lap time was due to the PASM being on "sport mode" as opposed to the additional throttle response IMO.

While there is no doubt that the enhanced throttle setting may "feel" like more fun between Robots during city driving. I don't think the throttle sensitivity matters that much during aggressive driving on a track.

I would get it anyway just for the wider PSM bands if you can live with that ugly clock.

Just my 0.02 cents

A discussion reflecting our times. Perception is Reality.

I'd definitely get it, even though the when votes are tallied it seems to be a gimmick. There's a solution for getting rid of the clock (see above) if you don't mind a patch on the dash like a speaker grille. You get other features too which I forgot (like home link options and more).

What's wrong with flipping a switch and getting a jazzy thrill out of the car? Nothing! when you let your friend drive it, he flips the switch and instantly becomes a huge (huge-er?) Porsche fan!

If you don't get Sport Chrono option, you'll never miss it. Just like you don't notice that there's no period after the Dr on a Dr Pepper can. The soda would taste the same either way.

If you like the clock or will use it on the track then get the thing. If not, then spend the same money on the Evo chip remap and get the same driving sensation. The only drawback to the Evo option is you have 18 extra horses to feed!

I don't know what Chrono w/ Evo does to mapping... maybe the mapping is customized different so it just adds the power and doesn't modify the response or shift points. In other words, I think you can have an Evo chip map do almost anything you want including simulate full time sport mode with or without suspension stiffness.

Anyone more up on this than me? (stupid question)

I got a Carrera S without this gimmick. Seems like a complete waste of money to me. Does it make the car faster? No. Does it improve the braking? No. Does it do anything, except add that stupid clock?

Sport Chrono ON, adds another 200 rpm. Its more than just remapping the throttle and adjusting PASM response.

The ridiculous truly thing about Sport Chrono is that it is offered at all.

The extra 200 rpm should be there in the first place and the throttle should be hair trigger sharp to match the chassis.

This option shows Porsches intent of dumbing down the car to appeal to a variety of non enthusiasts.

Sport chrono increases throttle response, but you can compensate by pushing the pedal faster and farther. This is a gimmick - I have absolutely no doubt.

The real reason to get sport chrono is that when in sport mode, PSM becomes less intrusive. I like that, because I think that PSM is often activated when I'm driving in a "sporty" way and I feel that it has intruded upon my experience. On the other hand, I'm too chicken to turn it completely off. The intermediate PSM setting then seems like a great idea to me. From what I've read and heard, in sport mode (of sport chrono - not PASM), PSM will allow more wheel spin, more yaw dysynchrony, and even allow some drift before intervening. That sounds like fun to me, yet its still there to potentially save my sorry ass if I become really stupid.

Finally, perhaps the best reason to get sport chrono is if you get a Tip. I'm no expert on the Tip because I'd never consider one, but if you get the Tip, in sport mode, the gear selections are more suited to higher performance.

For the reasons above, plus resale, I wouldn't consider a 997 without it.

Quote:
    jjr1 said:
    In that case maybe F1 drivers should have a 'sport' button and then they would lap faster. In fact why don't they just have an on/off switch ie 0 or 100% throttle and then they would lap 20secs faster per lap?

In fact the essentially do. Every car on the grid has several differnet throttle maps. Drivers will change the map depending on where they are on the track, (Yes, that often) what the weather is like, what the race situation is like, (IE are they stuck in traffic, or trying to set a fast lap).

I would not discount the value of different mapping out of hand, without really understanding it.

Michael

There is no difference between the sport and normal throttle settings if you are flooring the car on a track circuit or drag race anyway. The sport mode is only useful for city and B-road drivings when you feel the need to have a more pronounced throttle modulated response.

A true sportscar does not need a "sport" button. Its sporting nature should be self-evident and complete in every aspect and at all times. Porsche's attitude SHOULD be: "this vehicle is the ultimate expression of a sportscar", NOT "well it's a rather sporty car, but if you pay extra for this button, we can make it SEEM even sportier."

To my eyes it is an insulting, crass attempt by Porsche to make money by selling the APPEARANCE of sportiness but not actually delivering the goods.

For $1000 you would be better served spending some time on the track learning car control. Having a cheesy gadget lumped on your dashboard and a few pennies of software etched into a EPROM somewhere for that money is ridiculous.

Sport Chrono is not only a gimmick, it's operation is not even consistent with what it is marketed for. No serious track enthusiast can rely on this device for track times-nothing should be distracting your eyes or hands in that environment.

I appreciate the PSM changes, but one should not be expected to pay extra for this. And every car has the ability to suspend PSM function to a certain extent.

I realize that some owners enjoy the different sensations the car creates for them when this button is pressed, and that's fine. Some people put fuzzy dice and sheepskin seat covers in their cars too-whatever does it for you. But please don't justify it as being some sort of legitimate performance enhancement, because that just doesn't bear analysis.

If you've read this far I suppose you've figured out I am NOT a fan of this thing. It will never be in any car that I own.

One more thing, if Sport Chrono is such a critical option in a sports car, why isn't it available on the CGT? Maybe because that vehicle really is a legitimate expression of Porsche's core values?

mcdelaug

Well put mcdelaug.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777516 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441816 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262820 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85297 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5600 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880712 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816108 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM