Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Killing the blasted seatbelt warning chime

I always wear the seatbelt while driving on the road. However we live in a community with a central mailbox and its really annoying to pick up the mail on the way home and have to put the belt back on just to drive it another block to our house. There must be a fuse to remove or a wire I can cut to kill the ding dong bell.

Re: Killing the blasted seatbelt warning chime

buy another buckle and click on it

Quote:
    Kevin Kennedy said:
    I always wear the seatbelt while driving on the road. However we live in a community with a central mailbox and its really annoying to pick up the mail on the way home and have to put the belt back on just to drive it another block to our house. There must be a fuse to remove or a wire I can cut to kill the ding dong bell.

I really don't understand this! What is so difficult or inconvenient about the five seconds it takes to ensure your safety by putting on a seatbelt? Here in the UK it is law to have your seatbelt on whilst driving at all times unless reverse manoeuvring. And it is one law I fully support, like another law banning the use of mobile phones without a proper hands free kit whilst driving.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Kevin Kennedy said:

I really don't understand this! What is so difficult or inconvenient about the five seconds it takes to ensure your safety by putting on a seatbelt? Here in the UK it is law to have your seatbelt on whilst driving at all times unless reverse manoeuvring. And it is one law I fully support, like another law banning the use of mobile phones without a proper hands free kit whilst driving.

I agree with Kevin. Here in Florida, it's illegal to drive without your seatbelt fastened, forward or reverse. At the same time, Florida eliminated the motorcycle helmet requirement. I'm sure seatbelts save lives and I use them all the time but I don't like the gov't telling me I have to wear them. When I drive from the tennis courts to my home, about 3/4 mile within a gated community, I'm dripping with sweat from head to toe and would prefer not to fasten the seatbelt but the bell is so annoying.

Accidents happen at those moments that you never expect them to. Porsche is just ensuring the safety of there customers. I know it's annoying to always have your seatbelt on, but its better to be 100%safe and a little uncumfy than to end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, if not worse.

@LowPolarMovement: Is it really not illegal to not be wearing a helmet while on a motorcycle there??

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Accidents happen at those moments that you never expect them to. Porsche is just ensuring the safety of there customers. I know it's annoying to always have your seatbelt on, but its better to be 100%safe and a little uncumfy than to end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, if not worse.

@LowPolarMovement: Is it really not illegal to not be wearing a helmet while on a motorcycle there??

Correct. Motor vehicle laws vary from state to state. Some states have helmet laws and some don't. Florida had one but dropped it. Until recently, school buses didn't have to have seat belts but people driving cars had to wear them. Great logic!

Drive very slowly, the chime won't go off

Everyone try this little experiment. Take your wife or girlfriend for a short drive. Leave her seatbelt unbuckled! Drive at around 30mph. Suddenly and without warning, jam your foot hard on the brakes!

When your partner stops bleeding from her nose, see how big a slap you get!

Always wear your seat belt. Like Forrest Gump said: "You never know what you're gonna hit".

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    ...and would prefer not to fasten the seatbelt but the bell is so annoying.

Good. It is doing it's job to protect you from yourself.

of course u are right with your remarks, but i think that it is the CLIENT/DRIVER who should have the choice what to do in his car .. non? i don't want porsche, you or anybody else to tell me what to do in my car, when i am not hurting or putting at danger anybody else, which is not the case if i do not buckle the belt .. so come on: it is a legal question to ask how u can kill the "ding ding" without receiving answers that try to give orders ..

sorry .. but this has to be said ..

Why don't they get rid of the speed limits while they're at it!

I think governments introduced seat-belt rules because they were fed up of needlessly paying medical bills to fix up people that would have been perfectly fine IF they'd worn their seat belt! It doesn't take much of an accident for you to be thrown completely out of your vehicle, where your flimsy body is probably going to get severely mangled!

Honestly. If the government introduced legislation to stop you shooting yourself in the head, would you want to do that as well? It's no big deal. It's a seatbelt. Are you worried you aren't going to look cool if you wear it or something?

speed limits are OK, but only WHEN they make sens in terms of protecting people hurting other people ..

my insurance is a private insurance, so the state will never pay for my medical bills ..

do you agree with all the rules that are imposed by the state just because it is the state who does it?

anyhow, i would never shot me, even if it was forbidden or not forbidden ..

i always wear the seatbealt, but when driving literally around the corner IT IS ANNOYING ..

so lets stop it here i would say ..

otherwise

and then

everybody will say

and we all will end up

hahahahahahaha

Quote:
    Why don't they get rid of the speed limits while they're at it!

I'm thinking of my 90 yr old grandma, who is to this day wearing her seatbelt draped losely around her shoulder without fastening it, claiming she used to race her Adler up and down the newly built Autobahns and she doesn't need that flimsy strap. But she is also the grandma who used her Merc SL for years as a pickup truck and killed a high number of innocent lampposts with her car.

Quote:
    hodipo said:we all will end up

Yes, that's how all our UK Rennteam meets end up too. Is it the same over there?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    hodipo said:we all will end up

Yes, that's how all our UK Rennteam meets end up too. Is it the same over there?

I must have missed out on that bit

Quote:
    hodipo said:
    of course u are right with your remarks, but i think that it is the CLIENT/DRIVER who should have the choice what to do in his car .. non? i don't want porsche, you or anybody else to tell me what to do in my car, when i am not hurting or putting at danger anybody else, which is not the case if i do not buckle the belt .. so come on: it is a legal question to ask how u can kill the "ding ding" without receiving answers that try to give orders ..

sorry .. but this has to be said ..

Well then I must say this, thank you. As a paramedic of over 20 years it is this kind of thinking that allows me to draw a paycheck. It is this kind of thinking that allows me to work overtime so that I can have my 987S.
    The fact that you have insurance is icing on the cake. That should mean that my agency will have no problem collecting the bill for your ambulance trip. Unless, as some insurance companies now do, they deny your claim because you were in violation of the law and knowingly conducting yourself in matter which led to your injury.
    Me I choose to wear my seatbelt whether moving my car, riding in an emergency vehicle, or zooming around track trying to set my new personal best time.

I believe this is an american issue.
    In most of Europe wearing a seatbelt is compulsory, but the ding-ding-ding sound is a matter of liability. Porsche HAVE to warn their clients or they can get sewed for negligence.
    As far as I know there is no chime or ding-ding sound in european cars - at least not danish Porsches.

As to wearing the seatbelt or not: I'm with Paralizer on this. This is a no-brainer. Whether taking a trip down the street or driving a long haul: Wear the belt. If you really believe that "I wont happen to me while I'm not buckled up" you need a reality check.
    Correct. Physically you may not injure others while not wearing a seatbelt in an accident - but I trust you will hurt the ones who care about you if you get seriously injured or die.

Locate the ding-ding speaker and muffle it. But wear the belt.

Quote:
    Ente said:
    I'm thinking of my 90 yr old grandma, who is to this day wearing her seatbelt draped losely around her shoulder without fastening it, claiming she used to race her Adler up and down the newly built Autobahns and she doesn't need that flimsy strap.

It's not often I have to pull my Encyclopedia of Motorcars down off the top shelf but "Adler" is one I've not heard of before. According to the book, they once made a 9.1 liter 4 cylinder car!

Quote:
    BC997J said:
    Porsche is just ensuring the safety of there customers. I know it's annoying to always have your seatbelt on, but its better to be 100%safe and a little uncumfy than to end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life, if not worse.

Actually, Porsche is complying with the laws, that's all. In Europe, the seatbelt chime will not continue endlessly as it does in North America. This can be quite nice when you have a race seat and 6-point belts.

There is a cost/benefit to everything including safety equipment. Sometimes the benefit does not justify the cost. Moving a car a few feet in a low risk environment might be one of those times.

Does everyone here wear their track helmets when they drive down to the corner store to buy milk? I can assure you that it would save lives if we all did. Yet we don't. Why? Because the potential benefit is not worth the cost to us.

This is the unfortunate side of mandating safety equipment. In a perfect world, we would all reach the correct decision on what safety equipment made the most sense under the circumstances. Unfortunately, the vast majority of motorists are idiots and need to be told what to do. The result is that those of us who are sensible must live with the mandate even when it might not make any sense.

Stephen

On my Navigator, once I've fastened the seat belt the chime stops until the next time I start the car. I can unfasten the seat belt and the chime won't resume ringing like the Porsche does. I don't think anyone here disputes the safety value of the seat belt or a motor cycle helmet. It's only a matter of whether or not it's the government's job to protect you from yourself.

Quote:
    FixedWing said:
    Actually, Porsche is complying with the laws, that's all. In Europe, the seatbelt chime will not continue endlessly as it does in North America. This can be quite nice when you have a race seat and 6-point belts.

Actually, Stephen, current European P-cars also have the seat belt chime continuing endlessly if your speed is above a certain level.
    This need not be a problem if you have a racing shell seat and a 6-point racing belt installed in addition to the street legal lap/diagonal belt.
    You just have to pull the street belt around the back of the seat and stick its tongue into the clasp, and it stops the chime.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Actually, Stephen, current European P-cars also have the seat belt chime continuing endlessly if your speed is above a certain level.
    This need not be a problem if you have a racing shell seat and a 6-point racing belt installed in addition to the street legal lap/diagonal belt.
    You just have to pull the street belt around the back of the seat and stick its tongue into the clasp, and it stops the chime.

Just shows how out-of-touch I am these days.

Is this legislated now? If it is PAG's own idea then just one more example of them loosing touch with their racing heritage. How ridiculous it is to have to run your seatbelt around behind the seat every time you go on the track.

Stephen

Quote:
    FixedWing said:one more example of them loosing touch with their racing heritage. How ridiculous it is to have to run your seatbelt around behind the seat every time you go on the track.

Firstly, I'm sure it takes as much time to put your helmet on as it does to run the belt around the back of the seat.
    And secondly, the cars have to please as many people as possible without straying too far from their heritage. By contrast, if they were too racing-focused, you'd have the passengers complaining that they had no-where to sit!

go to the junk yard, get one buckle for 2 bucks. (make sure it fits)
    plug it in there forever.

I make many short trips and the chime has been incredibly irritating.

I have looped the passenger belt shoulder strap behind the passenger seat and buckled it into the drivers side.

When driver's buckle is needed, I move that buckle over to the passenger side.

This alleviates the chime for short hops and does not look too goofy.

Quote:
    jabo said:
    I make many short trips and the chime has been incredibly irritating.

I have looped the passenger belt shoulder strap behind the passenger seat and buckled it into the drivers side.

When driver's buckle is needed, I move that buckle over to the passenger side.

This alleviates the chime for short hops and does not look too goofy.

On your short journey, when a car pulls out or stops unexpectedly in front and you hit it, and you go straight through the windscreen suffering potentially serious injury ranging from lacerations, to a broken neck, or have a quick and unexpected appointment with an undertaker, you will, if you are lucky, regret the stupidity of not wearing that belt at ALL times. Even on the shortest journey and at moderate speed. The airbag will NOT save you - that is why it is known as an SRS - Supplementary Restraint System.

I think you're wasting your breath DC.

I assume those that don't wear their seatbelts for short journeys know the increased risk of injury in an accident, even at very slow speed, and are happy to risk it for the sake of convenience and style.

Just in case:
    http://www.ou.edu/oupd/seatbelt.htm

I have to say, in the UK seat belt wearing has been mandatory for many many years. I feel uncomfortable and 'strange' if I don't wear a belt. It's just a matter of the wearing of the belt becoming habitual.

You might not get the oportunity to say to yourself 'I wish I'd put my seatbelt on that time!'

But it's his choice.

I know, I know, wtsnet, but this moronic, kamikaze crap from people who should know better winds me up big-time. Too lazy to take 5 seconds to put on a belt for their own safety.

On a slightly different note (ding ding), why doesn't the warning chime when the passenger fails to fasten their seat belt ? Or is it just my car ?
    /uploads/143791-buckleupani.gif

I assume you're being daft!

Unless it's got a passenger weight detector (Like some newer cars... MB?), it wouldn't know you had a passenger...

the 987 doesn't have that... does it? I'll have to go look in the book now!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781484 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442714 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263423 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261790 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5959 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881546 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819313 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM