Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do you like this 'economy' 997 C2 configuration?

Dear Porsche fans:

I'm about to place an order for my first Porsche. After reading many posts in this forum, I'm thinking of the following:

Carrera Coupe base
    $71,300.00

Green Standard Metallic
    $825.00

Sand Beige Full Leather
    $3,365.00

Sand Beige Floor Mats
    $115.00

Tiptronic S
    $3,420.00

Self Dimming Mirrors
    $385.00

Telephone Preparation
    $340.00

Park Assist System
    $530.00

Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
    $1,090.00

Total US $81,370.00

I'm trying very hard to stay below $80k as I will be paying cash. I care more about comfort and status than performance (sorry if I'm being blunt).

Do you like the above colors and configuration?

Re: Do you like this 'economy' 997 C2 configuration?

I would pay the additional money for olive green without a doubt. It is Such a beautifull color.

Looks like a good configuration that meets your goals.....

You might want to drop the phone option and go for an aftermarket bluetooth option instead. I have the phone option in my C2 but you need to insert your SIM card in the little drawer every time you use the car or get a second duplicate SIM. I've also got the tiptronic but I'd go manual next time round. Dropping tip would keep you well within budget and allow a few other goodies.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    Dear Porsche fans:

I'm about to place an order for my first Porsche. After reading many posts in this forum, I'm thinking of the following:

Carrera Coupe base
    $71,300.00

Green Standard Metallic
    $825.00

Sand Beige Full Leather
    $3,365.00

Sand Beige Floor Mats
    $115.00

Tiptronic S
    $3,420.00

Self Dimming Mirrors
    $385.00

Telephone Preparation
    $340.00

Park Assist System
    $530.00

Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
    $1,090.00

Total US $81,370.00

I'm trying very hard to stay below $80k as I will be paying cash. I care more about comfort and status than performance (sorry if I'm being blunt).

Do you like the above colors and configuration?

its funny...you'd think self dimming mirrors would be standard on a car with a base price of ~ $70k

No. Tip and park assist are dreaded compromises.

Status over performance is NOT a good reason to get Porsche. It's a good reason to get a Cadillac whihc is much cheaper and yet more people mistakenly think it's on the level of BMW and Porsche.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Status over performance is NOT a good reason to get Porsche. It's a good reason to get a Cadillac whihc is much cheaper and yet more people mistakenly think it's on the level of BMW and Porsche.

i could understand your reasoning for shooting down the tip...its obvious. But why is park assist such a bad thing?

Quote:
    sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

i could understand your reasoning for shooting down the tip...its obvious. But why is park assist such a bad thing?

I wouln't get park assist myself, but can understand. What i do not understand is why anybody (unless you are handicapped) would pay extra to get tip. You lose that money the moment you exit the showroom. It actually decreases resale value.

Quote:
    ISUK said:
    You might want to drop the phone option and go for an aftermarket bluetooth option instead. I have the phone option in my C2 but you need to insert your SIM card in the little drawer every time you use the car or get a second duplicate SIM. I've also got the tiptronic but I'd go manual next time round. Dropping tip would keep you well within budget and allow a few other goodies.

I can second that, the SIM card swapping is a pain and the reception on the built in thing is rubbish, I always get people telling me they can't hear me. Does anyone else (especially in the UK but any answers would be appreciated) have this problem??

PS I would ditch the headlights aswell as the Tip' and park sensors if you want to save some more money. Otherwise I like the spec...whats left of it!!

I'd drop the park assist (it's not a big car), tip (gearbox is great)and dimming mirrors and add PSE. Once you try PSE you never go back.... That'd be a lot like my old 996C2 which was a great driver's car. Maybe 2-tone the interior with black dash top/wheel to stop reflections? Nav in the 997 is great which you could also put in with the money you save with manual box.

The telephone preperation thing you need to be careful about (It took me a while to figure this opption out)Option 666 which costs ~$960, will allow the sim card to work, (and then alow you to use the hands free mic, etc). The telephone prep does not do that for you.

The PA messes up the rear bumper on light-colored cars. Not so bad in darker colors. By "messes up" I mean adds more visual confusion (junk) to the exterior appearance.

A big thank you to all those who contributed...this has really clarified so many things...

I have to keep Tip and PA because I'm a very bad driver, otherwise, I'll ruin the car!

MMD: I can't stand cadillacs...i've dreamt of a porsche since childhood, no turning now!

I think I will cancel the telephone prep.

Maybe I should go for two-tone interior (see my next post about the colour green).

JUst have a thaught concerning the colour, green is very difficult to get rid off afterwards...
    I know, all p's are black , silver or seal, but seeing you have to keep a budget in balance(like me) i would consider another colourspec..

I do not like the colour combo - but this is purely my opinion - there is no right or wrong colour (if you like it, it's fine). I would also scrap the Phone module and try an aftermarket phone kit. Navigation is good but if you do not need it then your car is otherwise quite good:)

sdy284 said:
    Quote:
    its funny...you'd think self dimming mirrors would be standard on a car with a base price of ~ $70k

How about floor mats on a $70k car!

Quote:
    Ando said:
    I can second that, the SIM card swapping is a pain and the reception on the built in thing is rubbish, I always get people telling me they can't hear me. Does anyone else (especially in the UK but any answers would be appreciated) have this problem??

Apart from the pain of the SIM my phone works fine with good reception and callers say they can barely tell I'm in the car. Have you checked the microphone volume level? I'd get your dealer to check out your car if the problem persists. It may be a software glitch or a microphone issue.

Quote:
    MMD said:

Cmon MMD, do you really think everyboy on rennteam takes these cars to the limits? Or even near them? Of course there are some hardcore sport enthusiasts, but if status is more important to him over performance, more power to him. It took me 20 years of saving and investments to get my S, and I know it makes me feel good when I see how others appreciate my car BTW Oxo, I would also drop the park assist. You can't be that bad of a driver, these things are a breeze to park, believe me, super tight turning radius, easy to guage, etc.. I would drop that and the Tip, thats $4K right there, GET PSE it will give you chills!

Oxonion,

Good luck with your making your color selection. Most buyers spend countless hours looking at pictures and anquishing about color choice. Additional options really come down to unique preferences and needs.

I placed my order at the end of August and my car is scheduled for production in November. My goal was to try and keep it around $80k since I also will be paying cash. My total price with destination and discount came to $80,065. Below are the options I selected.

Seal Grey Metallic
    19" Carrerra Classic Wheels
    Wheel Center Set
    Bi-Xenon
    Auto Dimming
    Sport Chrono Package
    Sport Exhaust System
    Electrically adjustable seats
    Three Spoke Leather Sports Steering Wheel
    Porsche Crest on Head Restraints
    TPMS
    Black Mats

I bounced around with the tremendous amount of options offered. Signed my name and wrote a check and feel confident I'll have no regrets. I can't wait till Christmas. Good luck with your choices.

Quote:
    BTW Oxo, I would also drop the park assist. You can't be that bad of a driver, these things are a breeze to park, believe me, super tight turning radius, easy to guage, etc.. I would drop that and the Tip, thats $4K right there, GET PSE it will give you chills!

Greggr107:
    PA is not too expensive. However, I drive into traffic jams more often than I would like to. I think that the Tiptronic will make life less stressful.

BTW, the Porsche will become my primary car. I will go to work, meetings, weekend breaks, etc... It's not gonna sit waiting for the right 'manual' mood.

Does anybody here have pictures of an Olive green P (preferably the Pepper or a 997)?

PivotPoint:
    Seems you went for the "sportier-economy" config. I was trying to come-up with a "luxury-economy" config.

BTW, do I need to order wood or aluminum? Will I end up with cheap plastic instead? What colour is the plastic anyway?

Oxonion,

If your set on $80k you might want to spend a weekend looking at some other dealers luxury cars. You have alot to choose from in that price range.

Black worked best for me. Sand floor mats scared the heck out of me. I felt everything was top notch and witnessed no cheap plastic. Wasn't real interested in wood or aluminum. I was drawn to Porsche because of performance. If I didn't care about performance and leaned more toward luxury, I'd check out Mercedes, BMW and Audi. After driving a few of those cars, I'd make my decision.

PivotPoint:
    I had an S-Class (93-99) and a 5-Series (00-05), and while both were flawless, they all had less than exciting performance. Audi's brand is second-class compared to Porsche, BMW and Merc.

Besides, I don't think any of the other German brands can offer more driving satisfaction than Porsche. It's just that I want a bit of crerature comforts without breaking the bank account.

Am I asking for too much?

Not asking too much. Get TIP & park assist. It appears to be your style. Must have Power Seats & Bose though.

I, OTOH, must have SCab, 6spd, PSE, 19" Sport Designs, and yes at the same time, full leather, NAV, SIM slot, PA, BOSE, Power/Heated Seats.

Green/Sand is great but Green/bi-color? Yuck. Don't get me wrong.. I like bi-color but only w/ some colors. Is full leather worth it w/o all other leather finishers?

Sounds like a very nice car. I agree on the phone and park assist- both easily not missed if you don't get them. I have the 6 speed 997S and love to shift through the gears but there are times when it would be nice to let the car shift. Get want you want and don't worry about anyone else or resale.

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

Cmon MMD, do you really think everyboy on rennteam takes these cars to the limits? Or even near them? Of course there are some hardcore sport enthusiasts, but if status is more important to him over performance, more power to him.

Yeah I understand. Whatever makes people happy. I got the car because I like nice things. I also got it for max HP to pass slower cars on two lane rural highways. I think I take the car to one of it's limits everyday.

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

BTW, do I need to order wood or aluminum? Will I end up with cheap plastic instead? What colour is the plastic anyway?

Here's my standard (non full leather) interior.. doesn't look cheap by any means, there is limited plastic, pretty much just the console area. The dash/ doors are some type of vinyl/rubber composite material, actually looks better in person. Does have leather/power seats though..

another

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780533 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442478 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263281 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261590 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85745 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881323 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818569 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM