Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Our Aston Vantage vs Porsche 997S "Shootout" (Large Imag

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    DEFINITELY go see it in person. I can't begin to relate how much better it looks when it is actually in front of you. Pictures very badly flatten its proportions. In particular, front view images tend to make the hood look short and bulbous. In reality it is long, sleek and has additional curves that aren't appreciated from a photo.

Visited an AM dealer today (during lunch) after seeing your pics. They won't have a Vantage till 10-29 but got to look around at the nice DB9's and DB9's convertibles as well as the Vanquish S. That S is all you Guy.

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    i can say one thing comfortably, the 997's interior looks much nicer

I beg to differ. Having compared both side by side, the amv8 interior is not only more visually appealing, but also feels a lot more luxurious. The 997 in comparison felt very plasticky, especially the area around the handbrake.

agreed, but did the 997 you compared it to have the full leather option?

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    damn ron and you still have energy left to come post here you're a legend!

I was going nuts with no internet access. My laptop craped out on me with the wireless thingy and couldn't get on from the hotel and believe me I didn't know that 4 days with no access to rennteam would be so difficult .

I'm glad I'm back on line though

Aston still doesn't convince me. 997s for me... (drool...)

Yes it had full leather. It also had the alu highlights which made it look like a cheap toy......

It's an improvement on my 996, but still falls short. A colleague of mine got in and likened it to a fisher price toy.

The V8 has an air of solidity and class about it. Soem of the clubs I go to have stopped people from parking their porsches in their lot - too common for them apparently...

I remember a little exchange I had with a friend of a friend last year. She's a of some stupidly wealthy company in sweden and a die-hard 911 fan who's often racing at monza. When I told her I was thinking of selling my 996 for a 997 she rolled her eyes and told me I was mad. Anything later than a 993 she cosidered as crap - she even defaulted over the CGT in favour of keeping her 959.

I recently quizzed her on the Aston's dynamic deficit to the 997 to which she replied "young man, are you the kind of man who waits, or waited on?". something maybe lost in transaltion, but I presume that this was akin to the phrase "that a gentleman is neither late nor early, but arrives precisely on time....."

So I ordered the V8...

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Yes it had full leather. It also had the alu highlights which made it look like a cheap toy......

It's an improvement on my 996, but still falls short. A colleague of mine got in and likened it to a fisher price toy.

The V8 has an air of solidity and class about it. Soem of the clubs I go to have stopped people from parking their porsches in their lot - too common for them apparently...

I remember a little exchange I had with a friend of a friend last year. She's a of some stupidly wealthy company in sweden and a die-hard 911 fan who's often racing at monza. When I told her I was thinking of selling my 996 for a 997 she rolled her eyes and told me I was mad. Anything later than a 993 she cosidered as crap - she even defaulted over the CGT in favour of keeping her 959.

I recently quizzed her on the Aston's dynamic deficit to the 997 to which she replied "young man, are you the kind of man who waits, or waited on?". something maybe lost in transaltion, but I presume that this was akin to the phrase "that a gentleman is neither late nor early, but arrives precisely on time....."

So I ordered the V8...

Sometimes car placement at hot clubs/restaurants also depends on how much money one regularly spends @ the place/how one takes care of the pkg guys....

Have seen new F/AM's ruthlessly bumped out of position in front of a power restaurant, all for a regular's humble, much cheaper 996TTS commuter car......incredibly fun watching the expression on the F/AM owners' faces as they witnessed the public dethroning by a "trumped-up Beetle"...

Quote:
    stanwan said:

So I ordered the V8...

I see your points, but I don't buy cars for the image. I buy what suits me and is to my liking. I still can't get over the center-dash area where the radio etc. is. It just doesn't look expensive to me, the dials for the aircon look like something from a Crossfire and the buttons look very plain and cheap. Although everything else such as the stitching etc. is top notch, even better than the Porsche!

Oh, one more con of the Aston - I don't like the bee sting aerial For such an expensive car I'm sure they could have hidden somewhere!! You see bee sting aerials on hatchbacks, not supposed to see them on AM's!

I looked carefully at the pictures again, in comparison with the Porsche the V8 is much lower. I didn't really even notice it when I saw the V8 in person as I had nothing to compare it to. The Porsche's roofline is as high as the Aston's is and the Aston is parked on a curb!

PS. @Guy: Does the Aston have ride height control?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    ...believe me I didn't know that 4 days with no access to rennteam would be so difficult .

I'm glad I'm back on line though

I know what you mean! It's good to have ya back!

Mike,

Sounds like the AMV8 didn't come up to your aesthetic expectations. Any similar thoughts re. the DB9? I thought materials-wise, the 2 cars were similar in the cockpit.

No ride height control. The ground clearance looks high enough for street use and our driveway. We actually had been tempted by a Gallardo, but that would have required regrading the driveway. The Vantage gives us the practical usability, drop dead looks, and a drive that should satisfy my Porsche loving wife. She isn't looking for a track car, but one that is fun to drive and is good for her 200 mile round trips on the highway to work. Her 996 4S and now her 997S just aren't that great for long distances on the ragged I-5. She does say that the 997S is probably the best Porsche she has driven. She wants a bit more creature comfort and style to go along with the fun to drive aspect. The Vantage looks to be just the ticket.

Guy, I think its more of a question of will the Vanatge actually get her there?

If she needs a I-5 cruiser thats reliable, comfortable for hours on end and fast, she may have to consider something as proletariat as a SL65 or SL55.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

If she needs a I-5 cruiser thats reliable, comfortable for hours on end and fast, she may have to consider something as proletariat as a SL65 or SL55.

Real question is why would any style-conscious person be seen more than 20 mis outside Medina in any vehicle????

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Real question is why would any style-conscious person be seen more than 20 mis outside Medina in any vehicle????

I think you have it backwards VKSF. Its why would anyone want to live in Medina? Its really nothing as special Marin, La Jolla, or Greenwich.

I wouldnt want Bill Gates and Paul Allen as neighbors anyway and the Medina PD is the last police you want to call for anything. To know them all is to not be impressed. There is a good reason Windows and IE are so flawed.

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Mike,

Sounds like the AMV8 didn't come up to your aesthetic expectations. Any similar thoughts re. the DB9? I thought materials-wise, the 2 cars were similar in the cockpit.

Al, you gotta sit in a DB9 to appreciate why some feel it comes up short on details&ergonomics vs even a 997S w/full leather, let alone a well-spec'd 430 or SL65...pics don't really tell story well....

Even most of guys I know who like their DB9s will admit it's the exterior styling and exhaust note that interests them, but the interior and the dynamics are weak points....great for sitting pretty in front of your fav restaurant in the city where car has charismatic looks and exhaust note on display for take-off, yet you just need to drive it a few blks to take car home, so interior won't bother ya too much....

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

I think you have it backwards VKSF. Its why would anyone want to live in Medina? Its really nothing as special Marin, La Jolla, or Greenwich.

I wouldnt want Bill Gates and Paul Allen as neighbors anyway and the Medina PD is the last police you want to call for anything. To know them all is to not be impressed. There is a good reason Windows and IE are so flawed.

Jim, I thought the assumption here is one is caught in Seattle for whatever economic reason.....the MSFT company town, like most other urban regions, takes on a notably downscale tone >30 mis or so from where the MSFTies live/work....

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

And better looking too!

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Mike,

Al, you gotta sit in a DB9 to appreciate why some feel it comes up short on details&ergonomics vs even a 997S w/full leather, let alone a well-spec'd 430 or SL65...pics don't really tell story well....

Even most of guys I know who like their DB9s will admit it's the exterior styling and exhaust note that interests them, but the interior and the dynamics are weak points....great for sitting pretty in front of your fav restaurant in the city where car has charismatic looks and exhaust note on display for take-off, yet you just need to drive it a few blks to take car home, so interior won't bother ya too much....

But I'm not one of those car-as-jewelry types. Yes, I like good looks, but I'm not going to buy a sports car for that reason alone.

Personal sports car stable wanted as follows:
    1. Fast GT/convertible: 996TSCab-await 997 TSCab as replacement, or maybe hold on to 996TSCab and tune it;
    2. Sports coupe for summer thrashing: Noble M400 or F430 or ? Mosler Photon (blown MT900-Photon; heard good for 550HP in supercharged form)-any reviews on the Photon;
    3. Aston Martin AMV8 or DB9: "Jewelry car."

Guy Kuo,

I just got a phone call from Jim Roes today. He was asking me to tell my dad to not get the F430 spider and consider the Vanquish S instead.

After dealing with the dealership, they seem to be slightly in over their heads right now, I would much rather tell my dad to wait 4-6 months and get a F430 spider. I just want to warn you that the dealership never had my back, or never portrayed to me that they really wanted to get me a new car or my money back. Also the technician is brand new to Astons, he has been working on Acuras for a long time. Again I understand that we all have problems, and I don't want to sway you against buying the AM. I just want you to know about experiences where neither the dealership nor AM NA stepped up until the very last second before arbitration.

If your wife likes the V8 Vantage, by all means go for it!! And when you get the Vanquish, the sound of that is 100 times better then the V8!!

Good luck with the purchase.

Kunal

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim, I thought the assumption here is one is caught in Seattle for whatever economic reason.....the MSFT company town, like most other urban regions, takes on a notably downscale tone >30 mis or so from where the MSFTies live/work....

If you know the area, you must mean 30 milliseconds.

Its the only place I have ever been to where drivers will stop if they see a shop rag on the freeway.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

If you know the area, you must mean 30 milliseconds.

Its the only place I have ever been to where drivers will stop if they see a shop rag on the freeway.

Jim, we're on the same page; I was trying to be polite about Seattle's "style"...as cynics in SF point out, Seattle has less stylish tech titans than SF (that's saying something)...and fewer of the MSFT titans seem to be car nuts vs their SF counterparts....

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Mike,

It's not that Al, I love the look of the V8(except for the aerial!) I've been in the V8's drivers seat, it is very comfortable and would be a great cruiser. As I said above, those are the points I don't like about it. I think the DB9 is the nicest AM out of the lot. Interior looks way better and for me aesthetically the car looks better. If I am to get an Aston in the near future, it will be a DB9 Volante

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Mike,

But I'm not one of those car-as-jewelry types. Yes, I like good looks, but I'm not going to buy a sports car for that reason alone.

Personal sports car stable wanted as follows:
    1. Fast GT/convertible: 996TSCab-await 997 TSCab as replacement, or maybe hold on to 996TSCab and tune it;
    2. Sports coupe for summer thrashing: Noble M400 or F430 or ? Mosler Photon (blown MT900-Photon; heard good for 550HP in supercharged form)-any reviews on the Photon;
    3. Aston Martin AMV8 or DB9: "Jewelry car."

Al, I'd put the DB9 in the costume jewelry dept @ Target....or, as a jaded pal from LA observed, DB9 is more akin to fake/cheaply enhanced mammaries...can look great at distance; just don't look too closely or play w/them, otherwise you'll be disappointed....

Just look at any of the interior detailing/"jewelry" elements of DB9 vs a well-spec'd 430 and draw your own conclusions.....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:

Al, I'd put the DB9 in the costume jewelry dept @ Target....or, as a jaded pal from LA observed, DB9 is more akin to fake/cheaply enhanced mammaries...can look great at distance; just don't look too closely or play w/them, otherwise you'll be disappointed....

VKSF,

That reminds me of the famous curmudgeonette, Dorothy Parker's retort when asked to comment on the saying that "beauty is only skin deep." She said: "What do want, a good-looking pancreas?"

From the vantage point of the passenger seat of a gun metal F430 coupe, I would still put the F430 in the "summer thrashing" category than "jewelry" car, but it IS one of the better looking SPORTS cars out there.

Again, any experiences with that Mosler MT900S, anyone? I hear the update has a Corvette ZO6 engine with a Porsche ZF transmission in a CF-draped interior, good for 0-100 in about 7 seconds. Haven't heard how it handles, but it weighs purportedly just over a ton.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Mike,

It's not that Al, I love the look of the V8(except for the aerial!) I've been in the V8's drivers seat, it is very comfortable and would be a great cruiser. As I said above, those are the points I don't like about it. I think the DB9 is the nicest AM out of the lot. Interior looks way better and for me aesthetically the car looks better. If I am to get an Aston in the near future, it will be a DB9 Volante

The AM dealer I was at yesterday has a "DB9 Volante" available. That's the car I'd do as well.

Quote:
    Guy Kuo said:
    No ride height control. The ground clearance looks high enough for street use and our driveway. We actually had been tempted by a Gallardo, but that would have required regrading the driveway. The Vantage gives us the practical usability, drop dead looks, and a drive that should satisfy my Porsche loving wife. She isn't looking for a track car, but one that is fun to drive and is good for her 200 mile round trips on the highway to work. Her 996 4S and now her 997S just aren't that great for long distances on the ragged I-5. She does say that the 997S is probably the best Porsche she has driven. She wants a bit more creature comfort and style to go along with the fun to drive aspect. The Vantage looks to be just the ticket.

I get a big kick when I see someone fall in love with a vehicle. It's the best. Go with your heart !

Hmmm, my wifes not keen on the F430 - she'd prefer to spend the money on the boutiques in knightsbridge.

There's a guy down the road who's a bit of a Ferrari geek - he has spaces for his Enzo, 360, F430 and Scag and always seems to be wearing ferrari merchandise. He probably sleeps in Ferrari pyjamas too......

I'd love to get some pictures, but the cars are all covered by ... red ferrari car covers. Maybe he put me off....

Quote:
    stanwan said:
    Hmmm, my wifes not keen on the F430 - she'd prefer to spend the money on the boutiques in knightsbridge.

There's a guy down the road who's a bit of a Ferrari geek - he has spaces for his Enzo, 360, F430 and Scag and always seems to be wearing ferrari merchandise. He probably sleeps in Ferrari pyjamas too......

I'd love to get some pictures, but the cars are all covered by ... red ferrari car covers. Maybe he put me off....

i would love to see a photo of that guy lol

he made bail??

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    stanwan said:

i would love to see a photo of that guy lol

I could send you a pic of his girlfriend, who incidentally drives a black F430 spyder......

For every geek there is a an ideal geekette

Thanks for the photos, a wonderful comparison. How long is the wait, and what color combo did the two of you decide on????

thanks again,
    Ray

It will be a year before her Vantage arrives. It's a long time, but will be filled with anticipation. Then again, that's also a year of production and experience to work out kinks in the car. Haven't specified the color and options yet. Tungsten is almost certainly the exterior color she will choose.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781621 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442763 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263447 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261829 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85932 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5971 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881597 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819434 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM