Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My Baby (C2 Cab) has arrived!

It's in the dealership. I can't sleep. Would welcome any driving tips as it's my first 911.

Re: My Baby (C2 Cab) has arrived!

Do not read the manual while driving.

Been there and done that!

After a few hundred miles braking in the tires and brake pads etc. take it to a big empty parking lot in the dry and especially in the wet and get accustomed to the outer limits of braking and traction.
    Congratulations !

Thanks Stradale. I used to race with my friends out in the desert in the middle east, and I've driven quite a few 911s. However none of us boyracers had much respect for cars then, and some of you on this forum have taught me a lot for which I am very grateful. You in particular are my detailing guru!

It's always nice to see another rennteamer taking delivery of his car! Congratulations eddie! what colour is it? i'm assuming it's a manual car? i see in the topic it's the C2, not the C2S?!

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Thanks Stradale. I used to race with my friends out in the desert in the middle east, and I've driven quite a few 911s. However none of us boyracers had much respect for cars then, and some of you on this forum have taught me a lot for which I am very grateful. You in particular are my detailing guru!

I'm blusing

Having raced you have more experience then most.

Trying to think of something else as a tip that hasn't already been discussed..............It's not about driving but when you pick up your car ask service to give you a couple of quarts Mobil 1 before leaving. Even better ask the sales guy helping you. They'll probably/ they should give it to you for free. Many 911's will need some oil after a few hundred miles (it's normal) and maybe some more after a 1000 or 2. This way you don't have to go back to the dealer. Make sure to check your oil after a few hundred miles and so on but don't overfill. Make sure you follow instructions on pulling the oil filler tube out of it's holder so all the oil flows into the engine.

ps: Please post lots of pics.

Well done eddie , all the very best ..

throt..

Congrats and pics please!!
    Show me my baby's sister

They've also got the Mobil 1 oil at Target Eddie, in case your dealers out of the way.. Keep a watchful eye on that, mines used 1.5 quarts in 1800 miles

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    It's always nice to see another rennteamer taking delivery of his car! Congratulations eddie! what colour is it? i'm assuming it's a manual car? i see in the topic it's the C2, not the C2S?!

In the UK, the price difference is not much, especially when you consider what you get extra. I intended to buy the S, but was not that taken,and then back to back tested it for about an hour each against the base model. Please don't ban me from the forum, but for me, the feel of the car felt more mechanical in the base, which I preferred. I could not find one with the -20mm suspension and I hated PASM.

I ignored my head (which said S), and went with my heart. Believe me, reading threads on this forum, I have often questioned that decision, particularly when so many of you have Ss'! I think MMD (who is a proud owner) and Dillinger (who is not) are the only few regulars who also bought the base model. There is a depressing sense of deja vu about all of this, when i used to explain why I had a boxter instead of a 911!

Its a silver, manual.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    eddie said:

I'm blusing

Having raced you have more experience then most.

Trying to think of something else as a tip that hasn't already been discussed..............It's not about driving but when you pick up your car ask service to give you a couple of quarts Mobil 1 before leaving. Even better ask the sales guy helping you. They'll probably/ they should give it to you for free. Many 911's will need some oil after a few hundred miles (it's normal) and maybe some more after a 1000 or 2. This way you don't have to go back to the dealer. Make sure to check your oil after a few hundred miles and so on but don't overfill. Make sure you follow instructions on pulling the oil filler tube out of it's holder so all the oil flows into the engine.

ps: Please post lots of pics.

I shall be making you blush more when my car cleaning stuff arrives and I post a picture of my kit almost identical to yours! In the middle east, my friends would laugh at me b/c i insisted on washing my boxter by hand, as no one did. However, I just used a sponge that regularly fell on the floor (with sand everywhere!), and wiped it down with a chamois that was never washed.

Quote:
    greggr107 said:
    They've also got the Mobil 1 oil at Target Eddie, in case your dealers out of the way.. Keep a watchful eye on that, mines used 1.5 quarts in 1800 miles

Thanks Greggr107, but in the UK we do not have a Target (yet!). Will follow Stradale's lead and pick one up at the dealership.

Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

Throt. We both live in london. If you ever want to try the poor man's 911, you're more than welcome. When I sold my Cayenne, I seriously thought about the exact same model BMW that you bought!

lol, I thought Target was like McDonald's and Starbucks, you couldn't go anywhere in the world without seeing them!

Congratulations Eddie!

Yeah, pictures please.

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

Throt. We both live in london. If you ever want to try the poor man's 911, you're more than welcome. When I sold my Cayenne, I seriously thought about the exact same model BMW that you bought!

eddie , Yes the Beamer 535d M is a incredible diesel and you are a seriously generous guy , its very flattering but she's your baby to enjoy . I would love to meet you and br d and other London based 911 owners , it was always one of the things I looked forward to when my order was in action . Still nevermind I will have the P one day when it more suits ..

Thanks again ..

throt..

congrads!!!!!!!!! post pics!!!
    why you say "a poor man 911" ??

keep that thing on the road,
    ride and enjoy.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    congrads!!!!!!!!! post pics!!!
    why you say "a poor man 911" ??

To appease the S owners!

Congrats!! As a first P car owner like myself, you will really enjoy this, the apprehension, the buildup whatever you want to call it, its quite exhilirating

Don't worry about the S non-S thing, I have a non S and I can tell you, as a first time buyer you won't notice the difference. It is awesome, it has a ton of pull and its like when you hit 200kmph (about 120 for you yanks) it is just starting to like where its at and seems to just want to stay there. In the twisties you'll have a blast too - oh and by the way unless your a really good driver , leave psm on until you've become totally familiar with the cars capabilities, without it, it's a differnt animal

Can't wait to see some pics

Congrats Eddie hardly "a poor mans car" but i know what you meant .I have owned my 997s for 6 months now and as a first time Porsche owner like yourself they do drive very different to your average bmw /merc etc.Steering will feel a tad fidgety at first but you will soon realize its because you feel very connected to the road and the smallest of driver inputs can influence the car ,hence why its regarded as the most involving drive available.Also you may notice the balance of the car is obviously tail heavy and this is great fun on the C2 as you can floor it out of a junction and have the tail snaking up the road Just be careful and at first leave the psm switched on .I switched it off and put sport mode on and beleive me the car will spin very quickly and you can be caught out .This taught me to respect this wonderful car and learn to drive it which i am still doing now .Also these cars come alive at the higher rev range and the engines feel stronger and the sound is amazing at 5000RPM and above so you have that to look forward to.Beleive me you wont be disappointed the 997 is a truly awesome drive so enjoy my friend

Quote:
    robbo said:
    Congrats Eddie hardly "a poor mans car" but i know what you meant .I have owned my 997s for 6 months now and as a first time Porsche owner like yourself they do drive very different to your average bmw /merc etc.Steering will feel a tad fidgety at first but you will soon realize its because you feel very connected to the road and the smallest of driver inputs can influence the car ,hence why its regarded as the most involving drive available.Also you may notice the balance of the car is obviously tail heavy and this is great fun on the C2 as you can floor it out of a junction and have the tail snaking up the road Just be careful and at first leave the psm switched on .I switched it off and put sport mode on and beleive me the car will spin very quickly and you can be caught out .This taught me to respect this wonderful car and learn to drive it which i am still doing now .Also these cars come alive at the higher rev range and the engines feel stronger and the sound is amazing at 5000RPM and above so you have that to look forward to.Beleive me you wont be disappointed the 997 is a truly awesome drive so enjoy my friend

You make me feel superb ..

" KICK THE THROT CAMPAIGN "

I can feel the cars feedback just reading ,, ERE hang on I will have a go eddie ..

throt ..

You'll love it , normally i drive 12.000km in the p/year...
    This one only has 5 months and has 12.500km on the dials...

Thanks guys. My troops (aged 8 and 6) and I will be picking her up at 5pm tommorow! This may sound stupid, but how do you upload photos?!

lol they really need to add that to the FAQ's in more detail I've probably explained it like 100x over

Quote:
    eddie said:
    Thanks guys. My troops (aged 8 and 6) and I will be picking her up at 5pm tommorow! This may sound stupid, but how do you upload photos?!

Congrats. Eddie!

The little guys will love the back seats. Be sure to let them experience the rear engine shrieking whilst you drive with the top down.

I'd better defer the photo software questions to the expert, Mike S.

I can try and tackle the photo upload question Eddie.. Once you get the photo in your computer, most likely it will need to be re-sized, as most digitals these days are highly pixelated.. Go on the net and download IRFANVIEW, its free, and you can use it re-size your pics.. re-size them to 1024x768 (larger pic, about the max you need on rennteam), or to 400x600. Once they are re-sized, make sure to save them in that configuration, then check the box when you are posting that says, "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file". The browse button will pop up, hit that and find the pic in your computer, then open/attach, and you should be good to go.

Also, congrats! I want feedback on kid's comfort. Yesterday, I very nervously took my 3 & 5 year olds to dealer to see if they fit in the back of a cab. It was tight and I had to put a pillow under them just so they could see out. Forget car seats. Those rears are about the same size as the ones I use.

BTW, as of yesterday, mine is officially on the boat!

NOW STOP TALKING AND POST SOME PICS!!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752837 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430488 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258474 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255407 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868086 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801666 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM