Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Hello from Frankfurt!!

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    ^^if i'd only truly known that before med school in new hampshire, VK...

I "did my time" in NYC, so I fully appreciate the quality-of-life in the Golden State ....and though SF has great weather and roads for enjoying cars, LA is the mecca for truly enjoying F's and many other hedonistic pursuits....such an evil place...

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    VKSF,

No, I hadn't thought of temporarily trading my P-car for his F-car, but he promised me a test drive with the Spider next summer. He and his dad have been regular F-car buyers from the dealer out of New York City (I think it's the one in Spring Valley, NY-maybe Strad knows them), but he worked out some arrangement for this one to be shipped to L.A. He asked if I wanted his assistance getting on their dealer's list for a Spider, and I am QUITE tempted ( ), but my heart is first set on the 997TT (I am a BIG fan of forced induction engines and P-cars as is manifest), then next I was lusting after the AM V8 or DB9, but who knows, maybe after I see this Spider. . . .I'll take some pics when it comes east.

This probably belongs on the Ferrari Board, but any comments from F-car fanatics would be welcommed (Strad, NBerry, et al) re. F-car purchases. My disadvantage also is that I'm 300+ miles from New York City for servicing issues, but the car would likely get less mileage than my P-car(s ), and my 996TSCab or 997TT would still be driveable.

Al, you gotta drive a 430 to understand why so many 996TTS guys also have F's....and, if you can get a 430Spider @MSRP (and choose moderate options and drive it <5K mi/yr before trade-in) it'll prob cost you surprisingly little for the "experimental" use of the car....
    F reliability is a non-issue....chk w/any guy who's had both several new F/P in past 5 yrs...F and P are roughly equally reliable....and, unlike P, F dealers are accustomed to a higher-end, less price-sensitive, more time-sensitive clientele, so picking-up and delivering cars for svc (in a closed truck) is commonplace.....lots of F's sit in places like Woodside/PebbBch/Montecito/EHampton, etc where nearest F dealer is essentially 60+ mis away and where few owners want to waste their time personally carting in a car for svc.....

Have a colleague in SF who has 430/DB9/996TTS as his current fleet (likes each so much that he's already on his 2nd copy of each of these cars)....996TTS is his rainy-day and low-profile commuter car (AWD and quiet exhaust note); DB9 is great around City (great looks and exhaust note, but dynamically much less refined than P/F....but a chick magnet car); and 430 as an occasional commuter car and wkend twisties car....gotta drive each of these cars hard for several hundred miles in varying conditions to really appreciate the relative strengths/weaknesses for yourself....

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    VKSF,

No, I hadn't thought of temporarily trading my P-car for his F-car, but he promised me a test drive with the Spider next summer. He and his dad have been regular F-car buyers from the dealer out of New York City (I think it's the one in Spring Valley, NY-maybe Strad knows them), but he worked out some arrangement for this one to be shipped to L.A. He asked if I wanted his assistance getting on their dealer's list for a Spider, and I am QUITE tempted ( ), but my heart is first set on the 997TT (I am a BIG fan of forced induction engines and P-cars as is manifest), then next I was lusting after the AM V8 or DB9, but who knows, maybe after I see this Spider. . . .I'll take some pics when it comes east.

This probably belongs on the Ferrari Board, but any comments from F-car fanatics would be welcommed (Strad, NBerry, et al) re. F-car purchases. My disadvantage also is that I'm 300+ miles from New York City for servicing issues, but the car would likely get less mileage than my P-car(s ), and my 996TSCab or 997TT would still be driveable.

Al, you gotta drive a 430 to understand why so many 996TTS guys also have F's....and, if you can get a 430Spider @MSRP (and choose moderate options and drive it <5K mi/yr before trade-in) it'll prob cost you surprisingly little for the "experimental" use of the car....
    F reliability is a non-issue....chk w/any guy who's had both several new F/P in past 5 yrs...F and P are roughly equally reliable....and, unlike P, F dealers are accustomed to a higher-end, less price-sensitive, more time-sensitive clientele, so picking-up and delivering cars for svc (in a closed truck) is commonplace.....lots of F's sit in places like Woodside/PebbBch/Montecito/EHampton, etc where nearest F dealer is essentially 60+ mis away and where few owners want to waste their time personally carting in a car for svc.....

Have a colleague in SF who has 430/DB9/996TTS as his current fleet (likes each so much that he's already on his 2nd copy of each of these cars)....996TTS is his rainy-day and low-profile commuter car (AWD and quiet exhaust note); DB9 is great around City (great looks and exhaust note, but dynamically much less refined than P/F....but a chick magnet car); and 430 as an occasional commuter car and wkend twisties car....gotta drive each of these cars hard for several hundred miles in varying conditions to really appreciate the relative strengths/weaknesses for yourself....

The temptation is intensifying. . . .

284 KPH = 170 MPH

Sounds like a FAST ride home! A year ago I drove a C4S on the Autobahn at 274 KPH. It felt VERY fast. Car was firmly planted but had to watch carefully for traffic. One slip and you're toast at these speeds.....

Re: 284 KPH = 170 MPH

In fact it was 294kph and in the real 295..;
    There was still more in it, but the road was slightly inclining and then traffic came to dense..;
    Like you said, you can't take the risk of overtaking at 295 when someone doesn't look in his mirror and turns to the left driveway at only 120kph...
    I suppose 300 was in it for sure...

Re: 284 KPH = 170 MPH

Okay Mike lets get serious now ,, now put the pics of the rears from the Dam ..

throt..

Quote:
    Porker said:
    @Mike

A rental Challenge Stradale???
    What rental company do you use , that must quite an experience

don't know the company, i organised it through the hotel. it was Euro 3000 deposit and Euro 500 per day rental with 200km range

Mike, thanks for all the pics and info.
    Did you see the Maybach Exelero monster coupe? ....what the Grim Reaper would drive to the club.

ALL my frankfurt pics are at (will be posting the last 10 or so photos once i'm home

http://www.exotixboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=1517

the excelero is there too

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    VKSF,

The temptation is intensifying. . . .

Al, prob w/cars like P/F, etc is need to really thrash the cars on great roads to draw any real conclusions for yourself....not advisable to thrash a pal's car; and F dealers have no need to loan cars to unknown guys for extended test drives ....an idea for you: fly to LA and rent a 430 for 2-3 days (in LA's non-rainy season, i.e., roughly Mar-Nov) and find out how you like it on the many great mtn roads around LA region...

Do you have rental co. names/phone contacts?

Any in Florida? I go there in the winter, esp. the Gulf side (Naples, Sarasota).

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    VKSF,

The dealer in Spring Valley is "Wide world of cars". They're about 30 minutes North of my office in Westchester. A pretty good distance from the city.

I cancelled my order for the 430 Spider and asked for a 430 coupe 2 months ago when I saw both cars side by side at the dealer. Biggest reason for this was looks. When you chop off the top of a 911 you lose the pretty roofline but at least the back of the car is the same. On the 430 Spider not only do you lose the very nicest part of the car (the roof lines, the beautiful shape of the side windows and connecting roof to body lines) but you also lose the whole back of the car including the hatch and huge rear glass showcasing the engine. (the 997 convertible doesn't have that problem) The Spider's rear body from the roll bars back is very, very flat. The differences from coupe to convertible in the Porsche is much less than w/ the Ferrari. And for me the Ferrari is the more hard-core racing car than the Porsche. So it makes less sense imo to lose the roof of the Ferrari because you're losing performance. The performance differences of the 430 coupe to Spider is small but they're still differences so I think the coupe is a purer, more devoted drivers car. If I was only going to have the 1 sports car then having the Spider might be the way to go. But because I like using the Porsche for everyday driving and the F-car on weekends it makes more sense to have the convertible in the car that I use the most. The car that I use almost 20 times more frequent (twice each day) and will put a lot more milaege on. And use for further, longer trips in Spring and Summer. Also with the 4 seater Porsche as the convertible my family and I can enjoy the open top together.- That is big for me.... Makes more sense to me to keep the more hard-core car which the Ferrari is , as the hard top race car and the everyday commuting/ family car as the convertible. There's a whole lot more that went into the decision but I'll save ALL the details.

If I were you and already had a very sick Turbo S cab (like yours) instead of trading it in for another convertible and taking a significant hit I would keep the car to use everyday and buy a 430 coupe. Spec'ing it out like a track car with racing seats, CCM's etc. You'll probably save $50k (for the depreciation trade in) and another $20k for the 430 coupe vs Spider price. You'll probably also get in a 430 coupe faster then a Spider. And you'll have the better looking Ferrari of the 2. imo.

Mike,
    THANKS A LOT for the pics.
    Liked the Calsson ML.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Mike,
    THANKS A LOT for the pics.
    Liked the Calsson ML.

hey no prob, was only my pleasure

Thanks Strad,

I'm definitely thinking about it.

My friend's F430 Coupe was gun metal color. I take it you are sticking with Ferrari red?

Hey Mike,

are you on your way back home already? Apart from the show, what were your thoughts of your holiday? Was it your first time in Germany?

Quote:
    Damian said:
    Mike, thanks for all the pics and info.
    Did you see the Maybach Exelero monster coupe? ....what the Grim Reaper would drive to the club.

here you are:

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Do you have rental co. names/phone contacts?

Any in Florida? I go there in the winter, esp. the Gulf side (Naples, Sarasota).

Ask concierge at Four Seasons/Peninsula BH to refer you to agency of choice....for obvious reasons, the rental places charge egregious rates for unknown/first-time customers, but actual rates are heavily discounted for those w/appropriate referrals....

A rental 430Spider can certainly be useful for slowly cruising around the few relevant blocks of SouthBeach, which are difficult to differentiate from similar blocks of LA's Westside, except for FL's stifling humidity and preponderance of insects....

Seriously, highly doubt FL is a worthwhile place to try to understand a F's dynamic capabilities (or those of any other sportscar).....endless straight roads w/the occasional fwy on/offramp "curve".....

If you are a convertible enthusiast, I would urge you to buy the 430 Spider. Literally you can drive it for one year and not loss one dollar. It has the performance of the 430 Coupe (the difference is so small only the driver can make a difference) and will out perform any other convertible except for the CGT in performance. It is a blast to drive (get the F1) and the sounds are orgasmic.

Now you can stay with a TT Cab which will perform probably as well as the 430, but do you really want to pay that kind of money for meatloaf? That is what Porsche's have become. The European rendition of a Mustang. Good performance but you cannot cross a street without almost being hit by one.

Thanks for sharing Mike!! They all are really nice pics, wish i can be there

Quote:
    nberry said:
    If you are a convertible enthusiast, I would urge you to buy the 430 Spider. Literally you can drive it for one year and not loss one dollar. It has the performance of the 430 Coupe (the difference is so small only the driver can make a difference) and will out perform any other convertible except for the CGT in performance. It is a blast to drive (get the F1) and the sounds are orgasmic.

Now you can stay with a TT Cab which will perform probably as well as the 430, but do you really want to pay that kind of money for meatloaf? That is what Porsche's have become. The European rendition of a Mustang. Good performance but you cannot cross a street without almost being hit by one.

Thanks for the plug for the Spider, Nick,

Both Coupe and Spider have their attractions.

BTW, my philosophy in life, which extends to sports cars such as P- and F-cars, is that one can be self-confident sufficiently that one needs not denigrate his competition.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Hey Mike,

are you on your way back home already? Apart from the show, what were your thoughts of your holiday? Was it your first time in Germany?

hey ferdie,
    yes i am home now, arrived this morning

yes was my first time in germany, i thought it was a blast! germany is a very beautiful country(at least the parts that i saw) will definately visit again in the near future!

Quote:
    Al Pettee said:
    Thanks Strad,

I'm definitely thinking about it.

My friend's F430 Coupe was gun metal color. I take it you are sticking with Ferrari red?

Yup. Red (Corsa) w/ Black interior, black and red seats, red stitching w/ red CCB calipers.
    Second choice would be black/black metallic w/ yellow calipers, yellow stitching.
    Third - Titanium w/ yellow calipers. yellow or silver stitching.

oups sorry Ferdie!! mispelled you name !!stupid me

Quote:
    nberry said:
    ....do you really want to pay that kind of money for meatloaf? That is what Porsche's have become. The European rendition of a Mustang. Good performance but you cannot cross a street without almost being hit by one .

Well, Nick, that is your own fault!
    You shouldn't have allowed that photograph of yourself to be published on rennteam a while back. It makes you an easy target for any Porsche-driving rennteamer driving through San Diego.
    In fact, I hear there are guys making special trips from NoCal on the off-chance they'll get a chance to "bump into" you.

thanks for all your posts Mike! feel ashamed I didnt manage to put my pics online, but guess it's obsolete anyway now.
    will be in New York from tomorrow til wednesday for biz. any rennteamer around who'd like to go for a beer??
    if yes send me a pm, would appreciate,

cheers

Quote:
    turbolite said:
    thanks for all your posts Mike! feel ashamed I didnt manage to put my pics online,

you snooze you lose!

what day did you end up going?

Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick call a spade a spade for godsakes.

The Ferrari actually is a purpose built sports car
    with few compromises.

The TT is a more uber speed GT cabriolet than outright
    sports car.

For most users, especially Dentists and MDs, Porsche is the better choice.

They can drive it to the office and patients and staff wont hate them anymore than they usually do. They arent going to use what the Ferrari can do anyway.

At least with a Porsche they can point out its airbags and braking systems. A Ferrari inspires too much envy, too much talk and too many questions. It also looks too aggressive for professionals in the caregiver business.

In a PC world, Porsche gives PC a new meaning.

i went only on the second day of the show, 10 days ago, when it was opened for analysts/journalists only, but didnt make it back as i was so busy and had been travelling a lot. hope you found it worth the effort coming! next time hopefully we'll all be a bit less busy and we organize a rennteamers meeting here. RC was so busy he couldnt come either this round.
    I put myself down for a testride wth the Z06, look forward to that; really wanna know how the car performs compared to my tt. the looks aint, bad, the finish inside is pretty ugly, but it's got a mean attitude (particularly in black!) i quite like. but looks are deceiving, you gotta kiss the girl to know whether it works or not!!

cheers

yup, definately missed you then. i think i've counted a total of +-6 rennteamers that went this year excluding myself! could have had a decent gathering!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762508 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435386 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260522 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257581 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80952 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872309 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807677 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM