Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bug Splatter

Hey, just got back from a long distance trip (New York to Montreal @ an avg trip speed of 110) and I have bugs everywhere on the front of the car. I've been in the office all day cause we've been swamped but I suppose the question is - how long can I stand to leave the bugs there without the paint being damaged?

Re: Bug Splatter

Hope you used Rejex, makes Bug cleanup a snap
    If not clean-up ASAP

Post a pic of that onboard computer...
    av speeds like that are really hard to maintain

Maybe km/h?

I think you can leave bug "jerky" there a long time. It's bird cr*p you have to be very fastitious about.

BTW, Got home late one night, noticed bird mess on car was too tired to clean. Cleaned it next morning and the paint was already damaged!

Not to complicate things, but it depends on the types of bugs you have splattered on there. Some bug guts are more caustic than others. Down here in the south we've got "love bugs". Leave them on for more than a couple days, and serious damage is done. And they are like super-glue to remove. It's love bug season right now. Suffice it to say, the "S" has not been out of the garage very much, I've been truckin' it.

I find that the little "gnats" that you get driving at night are fairly benign, but they're also alot easier to clean off, which brings me to my point...

It's not worth ANY risk. Get them off, as fast as possible. Do not exceed 24 hours. You have no idea what type of acidic paint-eating vermin is squashed on your factory paint. Leaving them set there is no different than parking your Porsche in a "compact" spot at the airport, and crossing your fingers that it'll all be o.k. when you get back.

Even if you're so tight on time that it's just a 5-minute visit to a pressure-wash place to spray your nose and mirrors, do it, and then properly wash the car later.

I heard - never done it by myself - that placing wet sheets of newspaper pages on the car for a short time will soaken those beasts to remove them more easily!

Here in the UK we have the non-toxic bugs , never caused me a prob even if left for a bit . I find the first application should involve very hot soapy water then left a bit . Secondly , simply sponge off..

throt..

One word: REJEX

Get you a bottle of Rejex, and coat your entire car, including the wheels with it.

Bug splats will wipe off with a wet rag. Brake dust will not stick to your rims. and (no kidding here) Your car will get better gas mileage because it is slicker.

It was def. mph -- I switched to km/h and got it up to speeds of 175

Hey Bossman: I've been considering using my friend's pressure washing machine. Any advice? Is there a maximum PSI I should avoid exceeding on paint or wheels?

Any idea what works best to remove major splats like this?

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Hey Bossman: I've been considering using my friend's pressure washing machine. Any advice? Is there a maximum PSI I should avoid exceeding on paint or wheels?

Yeah,

the moment the paint goes off...

Seriously you should especially avoid to hit the tires' rubber. You could seriously take of material with these things.
    I wouldn't recommend using these items on brandnew cars - the paint has to dry and settle a bit. On the other side the trip to the US might have been long enough to solve this.

If you used Rejex, It just washes right off.

REJEX- So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick

If not, you will be doing mulitple applications of Bug and Tar Remover with lots of elbow greese...No matter what wax you used.

Don't use a residential or commercial non-automotive pressure washer. The pressure washers at drive-in-do-it-yourself places are fairly low pressure. The only way you can strip off paint with those, is if you're car had been poorly repainted, with poor prep, with inadequate sanding to give the new paint a "tooth" to adhere to. I don't have PSI recommendations, you just have to use common sense with pressure washers. The only reason I suggested going to a commercial car wash to pressure wash, is because he sounds like he's on the go. A quick (and careful) blast with a pressure wash is better than bug guts eating your paint.

A pressure washer will not remove rubber from your tires LOL!!! Unless you're hitting it with a PSI and stream that would skin an alligator!!!

Furthermore, the paint doesn't need "time to dry". Modern paint technologies cure MUCH MUCH MUCH more quickly than they used to, and the factory bakes them dry to boot. The old mantra "wait for your paint to cure" is nothing more than a tired old legend of yore. If that were not the case, the protective film that they apply for shipping would trap the chemicals that "breath" out of your paint as it cures, and all the paint would blister and bubble under the film. Not to mention the amount of lift applied to your paint when the detail flunkies at the dealership peel the film off!!

Trust me, with modern cars, the paint is fully cured before the car hits daylight.

It's a different story at a repair shop, where baking/curing techniques are not used, or not as effective. But even still, the paints we use today cure MUCH faster than old paints did.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    ...The only way you can strip off paint with those, is if you're car had been poorly repainted, with poor prep...A pressure washer will not remove rubber from your tires LOL!!! ...

The comment reg. paint was meant as ... a joke.
    Of course this won't occur.

On the other side pressure washers DO destroy the rubber on car tires. I remember a report of a carmagazine couple of years ago which did the exact same thing -after about a minute or so the rubber was severely peeled of.
    Of course this won't happen like that in reality - still I would strongly avoid to hit the rubber with the washer.

After about a MINUTE or so?? That's kind of silly. Who stands there with a pressure washer just pounding on a tire for 60 seconds until it starts shredding??

I think it's a non-issue.

I've pressure washed PLENTY of wheels and tires in the past (washing the car at the beach, on vacation, etc...), and I've never had any rubber peel off.

You would have to intentionally attempt to damage the tire.

And taking paint off with a pressure washer is no joke at all. If you're car has been repainted, you've got to be real careful not to get the nozzle too close to the paint surface. It'll blow the paint right off.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    ...I think it's a non-issue.

It all depends on the pressure, the tip of your pressure washer and the distance to the surface. If you handle it reasonably nothing should happen - neither to your paint nor to the rubber.

Opposed to the paint, which would have to be reworked ridiculously bad to peel of, a tire can be damaged. Get yourself an old one and try out for yourself. In fact misuse of the tire can cause moisture to get inside the tire and enable the steel belt to rust. So what would you think would happen if you distribute that water with a pressure device? Of course this doesn't occur on a brand new Porsche!

I agree. I'm just wondering what kind of thimble-head would combine high pressure, with a narrow stream, and close proximity.....

Which is why I consider it a non-issue for all those capable of reasoning.

How about I re-state what I said before:

"Pressure wash at your own risk"!

Hold one under your arm pits for a brief minute and come back and tell me what it feels like ..

24 hr protection ,,Sure ..

throt..

Quote:
    Trundle997S said:

If not, you will be doing mulitple applications of Bug and Tar Remover with lots of elbow greese...No matter what wax you used.

Do you know if the newly released DuPont Teflon Spray Wax is as good as RejeX? I chose it over the Meguiar's Quik Detailer Wax I've used for years to try something new....will it be able to deflect bugs as easily as Rejex?

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Quote:
    Trundle997S said:

Do you know if the newly released DuPont Teflon Spray Wax is as good as RejeX? I chose it over the Meguiar's Quik Detailer Wax I've used for years to try something new....will it be able to deflect bugs as easily as Rejex?

You give the newly released DuPont Teflon Spray Wax a test and report back.
    For me Rejex has proven itself

Back in '03 I skepticly gave Rejex a try, after reading some testimonials of its effectiveness on some P car forums, since I was fed up with using mutiple Bug and Tar remover applications after my bug collecting 4,000 mi x-country road trips.
    I was floored... A product that actually works, the Bug Juice washes off!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759842 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433902 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259783 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256931 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80616 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870804 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805874 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM