Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Running-in warrantee issues list

This week, and approaching 2000 Miles, the normal engine/gearbox whine has seemed a little more...well... winey than normal! Anyone know if this is anything to be worried about?

I'm not a techie but the engine is still young and might just "settle" itself.

At 1100 miles my handbrake cable detached, leaving the hand brake ineffective.

mcdelaug

Had a new problem this week.

After starting the car the PSM, ABS and SRS (airbag) lights all came on and stayed on until I got to work (about 15 minutes). Interrogation by PIWIS revealed trouble codes that eventually led to the SRS control module being replaced.

mcdelaug

For the record: My dash vent flaps were fixed at the OPC. I don't want to jinx myself but it looks like the work was done well ... no rattles anywhere.

While the car was there, they also took care of three "workshop" items (no recall problems but little things they have found a better solution for meanwhile or they've seen break in the past).

WS46 - fit seal on left bulk head cover (over pollen filter)
    WS47 - fit washers (?) bolting roof motors
    WS56 - new bolts for front boot lock

Speedo issue - I posted in main index a while back, OPC are replacing the Binacle, on order. Takes about 2 hours under warranty to replace.
    Known issue in 3 987's here. At a speedo reading of 100mph my GPS (TomTom 700) shows actual speed to be 75mph.

Funny thing is odometer seems to be correct

Quote:
    RC said:
    Sports cars are stiff and sporty, this is why they rattle more than other cars, not to talk about squeaking/rattle/etc. noises from the interior.
    I started to "overhear" those noises, maybe because I don't care anymore.
    I never cared about noises and never will. They come and go (after dealer fix) and come again. Don't EVER expect from a Roadster/Cab a noise free environment. You won't get it.
    So it really depends on the driver/owner. Some pay much more attention to interior noises than others.

Agreed. If you are able to hear the car creaking and rattling, then you aren't hitting the throttle hard enough.

Carpet mats worn through after 3000 miles careful use!!!!

Aero trim under car falling off!

The titanium paint on the slats on my front vents is coming off (or was thinly applied in the first place and I didn't notice). It's showing black through the silver. VERY minor point, I admit!

April build:

- Rattling from loose clip in plastic panel behind driver's seat belt, fixed.

- Rattling/creaking from instrument cluster, not fixed.

- CD player glitches--doesn't recognize CD sometimes after starting car with CD in already. Trying to return to beginning of current track sometimes jumps to beginning of CD instead. Dealer replaced head unit, problem continues. GIVE ME A SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR YOUR CRAPPY RADIO PLEASE!

- Rattling windstop, fixed by dealer with felt tape on center attachment point.

- Broken second gear operating sleeve requiring replacement of transmission. Porsche hints that they believe it to be my fault due to over-rev. They pulled engine codes to find out that I'd over-revved to 7600 RPM for THREE ENGINE CYCLES. But they replaced it under warranty.

- Hazard switch has odd scratch inside it that allows some red light to show through where it's not supposed to. Part on order.

which dealership you are having service with?

Pioneer Centres, San Diego.

Surprised About All The Complaints About Rattles

Not understanding it but I would not expect a stiffly sprung convertible sports car to NOT have rattles. All convertibles squeak and creak. Its part of owning a sports car. I have a 65 Stingray convertible - not that car groans every time you drive it but it does not detract from the car.

I guess people are more sensitive nowadays.

Re: Surprised About All The Complaints About Rattles

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    Not understanding it but I would not expect a stiffly sprung convertible sports car to NOT have rattles. All convertibles squeak and creak. Its part of owning a sports car. I have a 65 Stingray convertible - not that car groans every time you drive it but it does not detract from the car.I guess people are more sensitive nowadays.

I think it comes down to your frame of reference. If you drive a 40 year old Corvette, rattles would certainly be the norm.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    Not understanding it but I would not expect a stiffly sprung convertible sports car to NOT have rattles. All convertibles squeak and creak. Its part of owning a sports car. I have a 65 Stingray convertible - not that car groans every time you drive it but it does not detract from the car.

I guess people are more sensitive nowadays.

I have driven very, very stiffly-sprung cars, i would not call a Boxster with the PASM in soft mode to be a stiffy-sprung car, really.

The rattles and squeaks bug me simply for one reason: they weren't there when I bought the car. I don't think it's proper for a $60,000 car to develop squeaks and rattles within 5000 miles. That tells me that things are rubbing or wiggling loose in ways that they shouldn't be.

In any case, it's not like I've returned the car because of squeaks and rattles. I take it to the dealership so that they're aware of the issue. If enough owners complain about something, it's likely that a technical bulletin will get issued addressing the problem. If no one complains, well, how can the problem be addressed?

I know how hard it is to fix squeaks and rattles in an automobile and if that's the level of workmanship that Porsche is satisfied with, then that's that. I'll live with it and be happy, but I also want to let the dealer and Porsche North America know that their cars rattle and squeak. Perhaps it will lead to improvements in the future, perhaps not.

Quote:
    In any case, it's not like I've returned the car because of squeaks and rattles. I take it to the dealership so that they're aware of the issue.

Very fair point.

I hear what you are saying. The creaks annoy you.

Porsche is a very small company by car company standards. I would not expect the cars to be as tight as say a Mercedes because by definition their engineering budget is not the size of a Mercedes budget. The cars have a very, very stiff chassis and are geared toward driving. I would not Porsche to spend as much $ on squeak reduction as much as drivablity. Which appears to be the case.

In my experience as I have owned Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW and my Corvette all cars loosen up over time. Even brand new ones, its just the nature of the beast. Its a complex machine. I would be more concerned with abject mechanical failures.

These are largely hand made cars and as such you expect the issues that would come with such. The dealer in my area who I am friendly with told me point blank that new Porsches still have the RMS issue. Does it lead to engine failure - nope. Does it need to be watched - yep. He said that a lot of Porsche owners are prima donnas who have never owned a car like this before and have ridiculous expectations. They bring them in for all kinds of nonsense and end up having to take the car apart to fix some sound that annoys the owner.

If you think this is bad go ride in a Ferrari or a Corvette. Brand new Ferraris which are easily 3 or 4 times the price of a new Boxster squeak more than than this.

Its just a matter of perception.

Quote:
    eslai said:

I have driven very, very stiffly-sprung cars, i would not call a Boxster with the PASM in soft mode to be a stiffy-sprung car, really.

The rattles and squeaks bug me simply for one reason: they weren't there when I bought the car. I don't think it's proper for a $60,000 car to develop squeaks and rattles within 5000 miles. That tells me that things are rubbing or wiggling loose in ways that they shouldn't be.

In any case, it's not like I've returned the car because of squeaks and rattles. I take it to the dealership so that they're aware of the issue. If enough owners complain about something, it's likely that a technical bulletin will get issued addressing the problem. If no one complains, well, how can the problem be addressed?

I know how hard it is to fix squeaks and rattles in an automobile and if that's the level of workmanship that Porsche is satisfied with, then that's that. I'll live with it and be happy, but I also want to let the dealer and Porsche North America know that their cars rattle and squeak. Perhaps it will lead to improvements in the future, perhaps not.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:I would be more concerned with abject mechanical failures.

Well, i had that problem too.

But yes, I understand what you're saying--it's not like Ferraris are known for reliability, for instance. It is TOTALLY an issue of perception.

My perception is that Porsche IS becoming a volume seller. Not only that, they're getting massive markups for their vehicles. It shouldn't rattle like a Ford.

Hell, if they're willing to put in a Bose stereo option (which sucks, by the way), heated seats, cupholders and a baby seat in an effort to civilize the car, how can they expect people to not hold them to civilian expectations? A Boxster is not really that Super Hardcore.

Anyhow, I don't consider myself a prima donna--I'll put up with a mighty-cantankerous ride if it'll make me corner better, but rattles and squeaks in a daily driver will drive me bonkers. If it were an all carbon-fiber tub with no padding, a momo wheel in front of me and a six-point harness holding me in--a weekend fun car--that'd be another thing entirely.

(As for the Corvette comparison, well a Corvette goes a heck of a lot faster and costs a lot less than a Boxster S. Is that really an apt comparison for interior build quality? It doesn't feel right.)

Remote lock, poor response fix

While I was in getting my tyres swapped, was notified there were a couple of fixes applicable (May 2005 build).
    As far as I remember, first was an exhaust seal, second was a software fix for the remote locking. Which is good, because often when I get back to the car I have to hold the remote right by the side window and hold the button down for ages before the car will unlock. Fix hasn't been applied yet, but if anyone else is experiencing similar reluctance to unlock, ask your OPC.

funny noise when clutch depressed and released

sorry guys, I think I've posted this under the wrong thread, this is the correct one....RC, cld you delete this same one under the "Short Review" thread pls?

1800km.
    funny sound related to the clutch. when depressed and released very quickly (no gear engaged) some noise which sounds like a disc spinning comes out of the dash and dies out after it "spins" for a while. Same thing happens again when tried.
    Went to the service center and the mechanic actually said this is a first time for him hearing such noise, he added some clutch oil in hoping that will somehow resolve the prob. but did not. I called and the dealer agreed to order a new "clutch spring" for replacement free of charge. I am waiting for the arrival.
    Also, this sound is only audible inside the cabin, not from the outside, very strange.

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    This week, and approaching 2000 Miles, the normal engine/gearbox whine has seemed a little more...well... winey than normal! Anyone know if this is anything to be worried about?

About 9000 Miles now. I get a bit of whine at about 75mph in 6th - not really a problem as such, just worth noting against my earlier comment. As Ente rightly surmised, it must have disappeared with the miles.

If I didn't mention if before, the petrol filler flap latch is very weak. It's quite easy to lock the car while you fill up. Then with the spike protruding preventing the flap from shutting, if you try to force it, you can break the catch. Further more, I would say it would be very easy for someone to force the flap to maliciously put sugar in your tank.

RATTLES IN THE HOOD,RATTLES AND RATTLES....

Quote:
    DORY M. said:
    RATTLES IN THE HOOD,RATTLES AND RATTLES....

Had my car in for 5 days to get them done and they mostly went away.

They all came back yesterday! There is a metal part of the roof above the drivers ear that needs to be felt lined. I moved the felt that the mechanic had put on and the noise stopped!! Also check the velcro hasnt come off inside the roof. You can do it by opening the roof halfway back, looking inside and seeing the velcro on each side - watch those fingers though!!

thanks man... i ll try to do it myself and .you are right the rattles come from around passenger ear level

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    If I didn't mention if before, the petrol filler flap latch is very weak. It's quite easy to lock the car while you fill up. Then with the spike protruding preventing the flap from shutting, if you try to force it, you can break the catch. Further more, I would say it would be very easy for someone to force the flap to maliciously put sugar in your tank.

I spent app. 15 GBP at Halfords on a lockable fuel cap, for that reason.

My roof is now doing strange things...

Booked in again for the velcro staps coming off, bad clicks and rattles and the rear plastic bar that attaches the roof to the rear bulkhead keeps coming off. Also got 2100 rattle but a fix is near I was told today (3-4 weeks)

Don't know exact build month but around mid year 05 I believe.

Handbrake release button stuck in release position. Had it replaced.

Windstop rattle. Took it to the dealer, he added some sticky felt. All good now.

One little rattle in roof right behind my left ear. Haven't had it looked at yet.

Car just under 5K miles.

has anyone fixed a squeeky passenger seat? I just got my boxster a few days ago and don't feel like taking it to the dealership just yet.

My seats squeak a little bit. It's the center strip..uh... "insert" for lack of a better word that seems to be rubbing and squeaking a bit. Is that what you're talking about?

I haven't asked the dealer to do anything about it. Acctually, my hand brake has started squeaking when i pull it so I might ask them about the squeaky seats when i have them lube that someday.

For completeness sake: I had my 987S (Jan 2005 build, 10.5k miles) in with the OPC to fix a low hooting/mooing/whining noise that occurred with a cold engine at 2-3 k revs when letting go of the throttle. It was a pressure relieve valve commonly found to cause a noise by vibrating but allegedly 100% harmless. The valve was replaced under waranty.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760202 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434117 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259882 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257024 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80677 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870989 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806127 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM