Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: [2022] Mercedes-AMG SL

RC:

Pricing is done by the management (gain margins, etc.) and it worked for a while...

Not sure Porsche pricing is right, there is a lot going on behind the curtains, especially if you want to get a GT model. The Carrera models are available quite fast over here and prices are dropping.

I think people consider Porsche cars to hold their value better than Mercedes/AMG cars, so they prefer to get a Porsche instead. This has nothing to do with driving dynamics and stuff like that, most buyers couldn't care less. Sadly. 

Product portfolio and pricing is usually analyzed at the product planning group and then approved at the senior management level.  Porsche pricing still appears strong in the States and other markets. Germany’s economy has been a bit weak even before hostilities in Ukraine so some price elasticity is expected but the SL seems poorly priced in almost every market.  

Nice car!  There’s a bit of an old school SL vibe with your new ride. 

I like the red roofkiss - have fun with your new car.

Blueflame

Congratulations RC. Always exciting to get a new car. 

Speaking of prices, I was at my dealer today and they had this beauty in the showroom. CHF320k / USD 360k 

When you buy , Porsche will shave off the ''euro bonus'' which could be around 30 - 40k for this car. 

IMG_4882.jpg

RC:

WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-20 um 11.02.19_f7afa1fd.jpg
    WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-20 um 11.02.18_bb60d96a.jpg

First pics of my car sent to me by the sales guy...

Pick up is tomorrow. devil

Looks really good ! Smiley

Looks great Christian

Congrats!

Thank you guys.

Now here is a fun story for you all (Mercedes service really sucks): I was going to pick up the car today but the sales guy called me and asked me if I am already on my way and I said no. I asked why and he told me that when they moved the car, an engine error light came on. Now they are checking what is going on.

I called them again after 30 min and the sales guy told me that they located the problem: Apparently a screw was tightened too much during production and a cable is compressed and this is why the error light came on. Made ZERO sense to me, so I checked with my AMG contact (last time I called him was a couple of years ago).

Now here is what HE believes happened: The car was standing since April 2023 at that dealership and in October 2023, there was a SL recall regarding a 12 V cable kit in the engine compartment. My AMG contact thinks that the dealer just forgot to apply the recall, they forgot about it because the car was standing in their showroom. 

The good news is: It is an easy fix, on a new car, the cable kit just needs to be moved a little bit. Takes about 30 minutes to do the job but the location is a little bit tricky, so it may take longer.

So there was no error light going on, they probably realized shortly prior delivery that the recall has not been applied and without that, they are not allowed to deliver the car to the customer.

Sales guy told me that he will call back once the car is ready but I am so pissed... 

It took them ONE week to "prepare " the car for delivery, sales guy claimed they had to check that everything is OK (yeah, right LOL). 

Believe it or not but I wanted to tell the sales guy to make sure that all recalls and software updates are applied before delivery but I really thought this is STANDARD pre-delivery procedure, so I did not bother to tell them. What a mistake!

Mercedes service...bummer. 

Oh...they also charged me 100 EUR for removing the rear badges (AMG and SL63). I wrote the sales guy this morning that I want them removed and he told me that this is a different department (repair shop) and they charge for it. So stupid. I did not want the hassle to deal with that myself, so I agreed but NOW, I want them to DARE to charge me the 100 EUR for this stuff after they delayed delivery. Took a free day today just for the car and now I am waiting in my office at home for the sales guy to call me. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

CGX car nut:
    RC:

Pricing is done by the management (gain margins, etc.) and it worked for a while...

Not sure Porsche pricing is right, there is a lot going on behind the curtains, especially if you want to get a GT model. The Carrera models are available quite fast over here and prices are dropping.

I think people consider Porsche cars to hold their value better than Mercedes/AMG cars, so they prefer to get a Porsche instead. This has nothing to do with driving dynamics and stuff like that, most buyers couldn't care less. Sadly. 

Product portfolio and pricing is usually analyzed at the product planning group and then approved at the senior management level.  Porsche pricing still appears strong in the States and other markets. Germany’s economy has been a bit weak even before hostilities in Ukraine so some price elasticity is expected but the SL seems poorly priced in almost every market.  

Nice car!  There’s a bit of an old school SL vibe with your new ride. 

Thank you. Funny...so many people told me the same Smiley and I am starting to see it but when I got it, I was not sure about the red roof. I guess I was wrong.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Lamborghini Huracan Performante (2019), BMW Z4 M40i (2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (2019 EU)

Gnil:

Speaking of prices, I was at my dealer today and they had this beauty in the showroom. CHF320k / USD 360k 

When you buy , Porsche will shave off the ''euro bonus'' which could be around 30 - 40k for this car. 

IMG_4882.jpg

Really getting a soft spot for one of these, apparently you can't order one anymore as the facelift is around the corner. I wouldn't mind one to replace the M5 at some point. Prices seem to soften quite a bit as well. 

--

1988 Peugeot 205 Rallye / 1991 Mercedes-Benz 500E / 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 RS  / 2022 BMW M5 CS

Picked up the car, will post pics and more tomorrow, have to deal with a more important issue right now. Sorry.

--

RC:

Thank you guys.

It took them ONE week to "prepare " the car for delivery, sales guy claimed they had to check that everything is OK (yeah, right LOL).

--

Never understood why, on this side of the planet, it takes so much time to have a car delivered. Happy that you could finally pick it up. Congratulations, Christian. It’s a beautiful car, enjoy it to the max!

--

Nicolas
    Macan S/Ex-997.1/997.2 S/991.1 S/991.1 C4 GTS

Gnil:

IMG_4882.jpg

still way overpriced, unfortunately. Smiley - beautiful though.

PAG should reconsider quickly before it goes really wrong.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual

Cayenne GTS 2014

Cayenne Coupe Turbo 2020

Nico997:

Never understood why, on this side of the planet, it takes so much time to have a car delivered. Happy that you could finally pick it up. Congratulations, Christian. It’s a beautiful car, enjoy it to the max!

Thank you. Smiley

I don't know why it took them that long, the car was at the dealership for a week and they claimed they have to "prepare" and check the car but on the day of the pickup, they discovered a recall which hasn't been fixed (I think because the story they served me didn't make any sense). Then, when I drove away, the tire pressure warning came on but the tire pressure is OK. I have to reset it, no big deal but where is that "preparation" and checking of the car before delivery? Smiley

The car is amazing, I really like it a lot. The exhaust/engine sound is incredible for a new GPF equipped car. Drove with an open top today and it sounds so good. Running it in right now for around 1500 km...can't wait, already having 220 km but I have to work, so I have to use this and the coming Easter weekend for some driving.

Quality is...so and so. I will make a seperate post and explain where the quality "issues" are. This is not a car I would pay 215k EUR (MSRP) for to be honest. It reminds me with a few things of the first Porsche 991.1 I drove. Not bad, quality-wise but not at the level of the 991.2 or the almost perfect 992.

The tech seems to work (unlike in early cars, I guess AMG worked a lot on making those tech gremlins disappear), no issues so far. The door handles work just fine (there were issues) and even "kicking open" the boot works perfectly, something many cars with tha particular option have issues with.

The infotainment/entertainment system is also amazing, the central (iPad-lookalike) display is great BUT with an open top and the sun shining in...the glare is just annoying, even if I can change the position of the display. Not a very good solution in my opinion. The whole display "moving" thing is just stupid, why didn't they use a high quality outdoor display with 1000 or even 2000 nits instead? Would have made much more sense in my opinion. Stupid solution with the inclination feature.

The Burmester 3D sound system sounds great, even when the top is down. It is basically the same sound as if the roof is up, incredible system, highly enjoyable. The setup options are a little bit limited in my opinion, I wish there were more possibilities but the sound is really amazing. Best system I ever heard in a car.

Same goes to the digital light system (headlights): Amazing light, it is a pleasure to drive at night, it works very well.

The neck "scarf" (heating system) also works very well (and I have the Performance seats, not the comfort ones), just perfect for a convertible. The seats are very sporty and not uncomfortable at all and you can adjust them quite well, incl. the side bolsters. 

The chassis of this car is out of this world. You cannot feel the weight in curves. I drive in C (comfort) mode all the time because of the 1500 km run-in period and I thrust through narrow curves as if they wouldn't exist, amazing setup.
    Steering is direct as well, even in comfort mode. Overall, this car feels only heavy when you drive straight but surprisingly, this is a good feeling, it gives you a feeling of stability. Once you hit the first narrow curve, it switches from a heavy weight feel to a lightweight feel, so weird. I got used to it though.

I also like the Mercedes specced Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires the car has. Very precise and even in cold temperatures (we had around 6-7°C yesterday at night), very sticky and predictable.

Is there something I don't like? Well, the touch buttons are annoying, also the touch climate control. At least there is a hard button for the roof operation (many owners don't know that) because the touch operation is just crap.

Overall a fantastic car for this money but not for what Mercedes is asking for (215k EUR MSRP).

Being overpriced is not only a problem of Mercedes, the same goes to the current 992.1 Carrera models. Not sure how the new mild hybrid 992.2 Carrera models will be priced but paying 200k EUR for a Carrera GTS with a few options? Ouch.

More experience sharing to come along the way...

WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-21 um 16.58.56_92793bc1.jpg

sl63.jpg

WhatsApp Bild 2024-03-22 um 00.54.45_a979c1f4.jpgWhatsApp Bild 2024-03-22 um 00.54.46_74a20c67.jpgWhatsApp Bild 2024-03-22 um 00.54.45_c0168d74.jpgWhatsApp Bild 2024-03-21 um 16.58.58_e7184f14.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics but I really didn't have the time to shoot better pics yet because I had a lot of stress on the day of the pickup. Better pics will follow.

--

It's a terrific-looking car.kiss All you need to do now is find a Starbucks. smiley

--

The purpose of life is to enjoy the moment.

Wow, looks amazing! What is the name of the color?

Ziggy:

The color is Hightech Silber (I think Cirrus Silver in the US, not sure). I thought this color has a blueish hue before I saw the car live but I think it is a more shiny silver hue, closer to the original SL. This is why the red roof fits the car better than expected (see pic).

IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg

--

The exterior is tremendous especially in this color combination. I just wish that AMG and Mercedes was a bit more serious with the interior and used design elements from earlier SLs.  They were so elegant and of classic elements. 

I was in front of an MB dealer and popped in when I saw the SL in the window. 

Price was normally  CHF 237'700.-  but discounted to 187'000.-  (including extra winter rims and tire + extended warranty MSI)   

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

That’s one way to eat into AMG’s margins.  I’m not versed enough in the intricate details of the Mercedes and AMG production system but I recall what happened in the early 1990s with Cadillac.  Cadillac introduced in the early 1990s a new Eldorado personal luxury coupé and the STS four door sedan.  The product planners missed on the breakout between two and four door production allocations as they anticipated the Eldorado being the most desired of the two over the new STS.  If I recall correctly, product planning thought the Eldorado would outsell the STS by 3 to 1. However, the STS became a sales success but with the production system being inflexible to the planned product mix, General Motors had to produce a glut of Eldorados to cover demand for the STS.  My Father who wanted an Eldorado as his personal daily driver more than welcomed that discount!

CGX car nut:

The exterior is tremendous especially in this color combination. I just wish that AMG and Mercedes was a bit more serious with the interior and used design elements from earlier SLs.  They were so elegant and of classic elements. 

Agreed, they could have done so much with the interior but the car is really fun to drive and amazing to look at. Beautiful car live when you see it, unfortunately it attracts more attention than I bargained for. Smiley

Heard a great comment from an older guy when I went to open my car on a parking lot: "It is refreshing to see that Mercedes can still build such beautiful cars and not only those EV monstrosities...". It felt quite good when he said that. Smiley

Btw: The quality has been improved, I didn't notice until yesterday when I had a closer look at the airbag cover on the steering wheel. It is NOT the same cheap plastic used before, so they definitely improved a few things. 

Still having a big issue with the entertainment system: It is supposed to offer Dolby Atmos but I cannot make it work, neither do other owners (Nick?). It seems I have an older MBUX firmware (329.) but even the latest one (445.) doesn't seem to support Dolby Atmos, which is weird.

Will have all CUs updated when I do the (not necessary but I do it anyway) oil change at around 2000 km and also getting a MBUX software update to the latest one (445.). The dealer already apologized for delivering the new car (which is 11 months old) without updating the software. I know they do not have to update it but it would have been a nice gesture. 

--

Gnil:

I was in front of an MB dealer and popped in when I saw the SL in the window. 

Price was normally  CHF 237'700.-  but discounted to 187'000.-  (including extra winter rims and tire + extended warranty MSI)   

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

Beautiful color... Smiley

People need to be careful with these discounted offers. Not because the cars are usually a couple of months old but because they are often missing important features. Found 3(!) cars with this matte blue but ALL of them had the Burmester (neither the standard Burmester nor the 3D system) missing. There was a short period of production time when the parts were missing because of delivery issues from China. 

Also, many cars lack the lift system (not that important, thank god I took mine without it because it really isn't necessary) or (more importantly in my opinion), the aerodynamics package with active front spoiler and other goodies (flaps in the front close/open differently, rear wing retracts 10 kph earlier and has different positions at certain speeds/driving situations) and stuff light that. It really increases downforce in the front by 50 kg for example and the rear wing deployment and angle has been adapted to this.

--

More pics from the weekend...sorry, not very special but I didn't have the time and it was freezing cold. 

sl633.jpg
    sl632.jpg
    sl631.jpg

--

kiss

Looking very very good 

Very nice looking car. kiss

I had a look-alike behind me this weekend. I wanted to slow you down and pull you out of the car, then I realised it had a black roof. indecision

Are the callipers yellow or golden?

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I hope this beauty brings you endless joy and thrilling adventures on the road. Of course, while you're out there turning heads and pushing limits, always remember to keep safety at the forefront. But knowing you, I'm sure you've got that part covered. Enjoy every moment, feel the power, and relish the luxury. 

Stay safe and have a blast!

--

AM

ALDO:

I hope this beauty brings you endless joy and thrilling adventures on the road. Of course, while you're out there turning heads and pushing limits, always remember to keep safety at the forefront. But knowing you, I'm sure you've got that part covered. Enjoy every moment, feel the power, and relish the luxury. 

Thank you, Adnan. Smiley

--

RC, your SL looks very attractive in this special silver colour with the various black accents. The wheels also look nice and they follow the old Porsche style with the outer silver ring around black centre.

Please post some pictures with the red top cover closed and in full view so as to remove this last bit of aesthetic doubt.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Rossi:

Very nice looking car. kiss

I had a look-alike behind me this weekend. I wanted to slow you down and pull you out of the car, then I realised it had a black roof. indecision

Are the callipers yellow or golden?

Thank you. It looks really great live, pictures (especially mine, I'm a crappy photographer because I have no patience) don't do it justice. Getting thumbs up all the time and a guy told me that he didn't know that Mercedes can still build beautiful cars... Smiley Smiley

Calipers are yellow, the golden ones are for the ceramic brake. I didn't have much choice here, would have loved the ceramics but only a few cars were available with that huge discount (26%) and I had to decide fast. I'm happy I got the options I wanted.

Another guy I just "met" on a Facebook SL group got 30%(!) discount but for a 2022 car which was standing since the middle of 2022 at the dealership. Very interesting interior (white with Alcantara, very special) but his interior quality is different from mine (weird, I guess Mercedes did some improving here) and he has electrical and fuel consumption (he is still in the break-in period, average fuel consumption is 19(!) l / 100 km and mine is 13.8 l / 100 km Smiley, same break-in procedure) issues.

Finally found out how Dolby Atmos works (it works) and around mid April, I'm getting the latest MBUX (infotainment system) software and ALL control units updated at my request. AMG already approved it, thank god because this is not something they really WANT to do because it can last over 6(!) hours and more. I just argued that they sold it as a new car and it should have all updates. The reason: Some people have battery issues and fuel consumption issues and I just want to make sure everything is in order.

So far, I love this car. Even in C (comfort mode, only mode allowed for break-in) it feels quite sporty, so I get it why previous SL owners aren't happy with this car. The sound alone is worth the money, oh boy does it sound good (old school V8 sound). When the car is at idle and you stand outside of it, you can even hear that famous V8 "bubble-like" sound pretty well. 

--

RC:
    Ziggy:

The color is Hightech Silber (I think Cirrus Silver in the US, not sure). I thought this color has a blueish hue before I saw the car live but I think it is a more shiny silver hue, closer to the original SL. This is why the red roof fits the car better than expected (see pic).

IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3670.jpeg

Mercedes-Benz's silvers are beautiful and form a classic combination! Smiley

ALDO:

I was thinking about you recently as the new SL is, at the substantially discounted price, a worthy alternative to the Roma Spider. Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776931 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441608 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262729 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260879 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85144 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5531 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880590 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815766 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM