Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: P Cancelled ..

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    I just don't think it's polite to enquire too hard about an issue that might be potentially distressing or embarrassing. I'm sure Throt would have said in his initial post, or quickly followed up with a 'why' if he'd have wanted the general public to know. That's all. Don't take it as a personal attack.

It's not polite to ask a poster why they decided to cancel their Porsche and ask if they are okay after they started a thread saying they were pulling the plug on their car ?

IMO it's kinda rude if no one asked. Here's what I said:

"At least give the forum your reason, obviously people want to know you're okay and why you made that decision"

Whatever, I didn't know people were so sensitive.. Geeez.

Maybe this will help, everyone together now, ready ?

When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all
    But if you just believe there's no way we can fall
    Well, well, well, well let us realize that a change can only come
    When we stand together as one
    We are the world, we are the children
    We are the ones who make a brighter day
    So let's start giving

STRADALE,

No need to explain- I'm sure folks recognize that you meant well , and that you're one of the most helpful on this forum.

Yeah, that was one cheesy song. Thanks for reminding us.

Thanks Richard.

&

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    That's a real shame mate. But more importantly, I hope everything is okay with you. Stick around anyway it's always good to chat.

Seconded.

I say this as well mate

Be Safe!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks Richard.

&

I would have written the same, Strad, but SVNSVN beat me to the punch. If Throt wants to detail his decision for us, he can. Of course, he may be avoiding us for the perfectly understandable reason that the more he logs on to rennteam, the more he'll be tempted to change his mind again and re-order the P.

Nah, I reckon he's just basking in all this appreciation, let's try some reverse psychology:

Sod off throt!

br d

Hi everyone and what can I say to you guys above other than thankyou so much for the kind messages above .

With regard to me and my love ones we are all just fine , nothing unfortunate with our health or our financials , thank goodness ..

Right now for the hard one about the cancellation , I posted this thread because I felt that this was the least owed with respect to a great board but with regard to my order ,, well it just did not seem and feel right and I will TRY to explain why , it was a number of things from reading about the negatives such as the teething problems ( rattles and creaks etc etc ) which I of course know other cars have and the fact of the limited rear space for my boy which I was aware of from the start . Now going back to my first deposit down everything seemed fine but when the second deposit come due ( non refundable ) I had no hunger and no passion which made me revise the situation , its awkward sitting here trying to explain to you guys who own them and love them and so you all should its a lovely vehicle but from a young age I have always gone with my gut feeling and looking ahead 18 months on my working lifestyle I feel its the right one because the car needs to be enjoyed and fully driven ..

Now having said that I must say on posting this thread I got quite emotional it was as though I had let everyone down and again I would like to thank everyone for helping me out over the last 4 months..

Also very sorry to you all for the explantion delay..

throt ..

PS :: @ br d , " sod off throt " ,, LMAO bud ...

Hey Throt,

I completely understand where you're coming from.

The only sure thing I know about buying a Porsche is to NEVER buy one out of warranty, like any other car. Not that they break down. They're FANTASTIC cars. Just that when you DO need work done, the Porsche mechanics and dealers don't cut breaks by any means.

I have an '82 911SC Targa that I still love. I fell in love with it when I first bought it ten years ago, used. However, I paid handsomely every time I needed to get work done to it. But I always forgot about it when I'd drive the car. To me, driving the Porsche is ALWAYS the 'feel-good' pill I need.

So when it came time to buy a car, I was determined to get one new under warranty. With my new '06 997S, I even paid for the extended 7 yr, 100k mile warranty. I thought it odd that the Porsche salesman said to me that he's never sold an extended warranty on a new Porsche. Probably cause new Porsche owner's only keep them a few years and then get another one. I'm not one of those people.

Honestly, I wouldn't have let the problems you here about here sway you from getting one. Any car in the world will have a problem or two. Still though, a Porsche 911 will always make you forget about the trivial things. Even knowing that I have to replace my rear tires every 10k miles wasn't going to sway me from buying one.

I have fell in love with 911's. I probably will always drive one for the rest of my life.

Throt, if you are young like you say, don't sweat it bro. You have plenty of time to think it out, and get one some other time.

For me, it's been my dream car ever since high school when I used to sit in my German class looking at the '82 Porsche calender on the wall next to my seat.

Good luck with you! Cheers mate.

John

Hey Throt,

Sorry to hear about your decision, but glad you're making it for the "right" reasons, and haven't been forced into it by circumstances beyond your control.

As has been said before on this board - you should take it with a pinch of salt until after you own the car, because the detail in which the whole ownership experience is discussed here will leave you feeling like you've owned and driven it before you even take delivery.

Personally, although I've complained publicly here about various minor niggles (PASM failure, Tiptronic-related ignition key problem), this hasn't detracted all that much from my ownership experience - the pleasure of driving the thing more than makes up for the teething troubles. And now all the problems are fixed - it's a rock solid piece of kit. Having taken delivery last year, I knew there could be issues, but went into it with my eyes open.

The rear seat thing is a problem for kids though. A friend of mine cancelled his 997 six months ago for the same reason. He owns a Cayenne Turbo now...

Gaz

Throt,

In that case, why not buy an M5? There will be lots of room for your boy and you will be able to enjoy the car as a daily driver.

Hey Throt

You didn't owe us an explanation, but we are all glad to know that yours' did not involve any personal misfortune.

As to your reasons, I think if you cannot be madly passionate about a car that will cost you in-excess of Pounds70K, than you would be mad to get one. These cars are for people who get excited at the prospect of washing them let alone driving them, and if it doesn't rock your boat, than you are a wise man to have come out before you wasted your money.

I went from a boxter (that I loved) to a Cayenne S because of my kids, but never felt excited about the purchase. When I got it, I tried to love it but 6 months later sold it because I never felt any passion for it. I think you'll find most people on this forum were incredibly hungry for their cars prior to delivery. Thats why we buy them instead of much cheaper alternatives.

All the best.

I also was getting worried with all the posts of problems... Started looking at several other cars but none came close to overcoming the feeling I've had since 1982. I'm gonna stick w/ decision to drop almost $115K then $7K on mods (my absolute max btw) on this thing (will be daily driver) and what I think about most is 5yr old son & 3yr old daughter in back seat driving through Blue Ridge Mtns. w/ top down. As much for kids now as for me. Fingers will be crossed hoping for one w/ no problems!

Oh yeah, let em be cramped a little... They'll get over it and beg for more rides.

Throt,

Thanks for checking in with us! I'm very glad that you and yours is OK! That's the only thing that really matters!

No worries! Do what you feel is best for you and your family! If the timing is right sometime down the road that's great- take your time.

I've been waiting for several years now, and somedays I get very discouraged- but as I say, the dream is still alive! This forum is for the most part informative, fun and positive. However, sometimes it can be somewhat of a downer too- especially for us "waiters".

Take care, and I hope you continue to stay involved!

All the best to you!

Hey throt

haven't seen you on the forums for a while, sorry you hear about the cancellation of your P. i'm glad to hear everything is ok too! if it's not meant to be, it's not, no need to be sorry for anything keep well buddy, and don't be so scarce all the best

mike

throt,
    No way you let anybody down. That's ridiculous. This place is a resource and you gave as much as anybody. Whether you bought the car or not is way down the list in importance. Thanks so much for explaining your decision. That's way more useful IMO than what you decided to buy or not buy. I was very curious- If I didn't value your opinion it wouldn't have mattered so much. You made the right decision. I actually know exactly how you feel. I've changed my mind on vehicles before for the very same thing. More than a few times !! And often I've looked back and couldn't believe how lucky I was to be more mature about it by waiting. Making a decision to buy one of these cars comes from the heart and if for any reason you lose some of that passion it's better to re-group and figure out why. Quite often something even better comes along. Something better based on your situation. If it turns out in the end that a 997 is the right car for you, Porsche will still be here to take your order and you will feel better about your decision. These cars are great but nothing is more important then making the right decision for you AND your family - obviously that's something you already know and live by. You're a good man.
    Thanks again for letting us know, sharing and letting us learn something.

ps: This doesn't mean you're allowed to vanish on us. Please keep on posting if it's something you enjoy. If not, completely understood. All the best !!

Throt,
    Stand by us !
    Beside the "I did it" and the "I wanna do it", we need the only one "I didn't do it". The WISE one ! The zen one ! The courageous one ! The holy lamb of the sacrifice !
    A hero ! A model for all of us !
    Don't leave us now !
    When we'll get RMS and other stuff , we want to hear you telling us : "It's your fault, I told you not to do it and to think to your family comfort instead of your egotic pleasure, you puerile mentally deficient ! "
    And from the Net, will grow as a whisper :
    "Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa !"

Throt, i m glad your cancellation was based upon you will and not other unfortunate matters.

its your decission and we all respectg that, anyway stick around man..

cartouche??where have you been?? there is another nickname here with cartouche"something"...

Dilinger,
    Hello my friend !
    I felt so sloppy those last months, that I changed my name for a while.
    And I'm feeling so protester those last weeks that I changed my avatar (Don't repeat it : it's the Commandante, when he was young and biker... )
    Maybe I should see a psy !

hahahahaha!!

Great to see you back on here throt. Go with your gut mate. At the end of the day it's a very personal thing, even if the 997 was the best car in the world, if you aren't completely happy, then it's not the right time to do it. I must admit I had some second thoughts about 6 months into the wait, it was a lot of money to spend on a car and I started getting some nagging doubts. Furtunately, I'm far more immature than you and I just ignored them and blew all my cash on the bloody thing anyway.

Stick around bruv.

br d

Throt, if it's not right in your heart than you've done the right thing. Stradale, Well said!

Quote:
    br d said:
    ...even if the 997 was the best car in the world...

I had some second thoughts about 6 months into the wait, it was a lot of money to spend on a car and I started getting some nagging doubts. Furtunately, I'm far more immature than you and I just ignored them and blew all my cash on the bloody thing anyway.

Wait! I thought it was the best car in the world!

Any regrets spendind "all your cash?" I'm doing the same thing.

Quote:
    JJGray said:
    Hey Throt,

...The only sure thing I know about buying a Porsche is to NEVER buy one out of warranty, like any other car. Not that they break down. They're FANTASTIC cars. Just that when you DO need work done, the Porsche mechanics and dealers don't cut breaks by any means.

I have an '82 911SC Targa that I still love. I fell in love with it when I first bought it ten years ago, used. However, I paid handsomely every time I needed to get work done to it. But I always forgot about it when I'd drive the car. To me, driving the Porsche is ALWAYS the 'feel-good' pill I need.

So when it came time to buy a car, I was determined to get one new under warranty. With my new '06 997S, I even paid for the extended 7 yr, 100k mile warranty. I thought it odd that the Porsche salesman said to me that he's never sold an extended warranty on a new Porsche. Probably cause new Porsche owner's only keep them a few years and then get another one. I'm not one of those people.

Trot,

"good" news that you're alright and just didn't want to go the last step buying the car. Get yourself a fairly new one, the prices and losses are much less. Should be a nice way to continue with sportscars...

JJ,

what is the rough pricefigure for the 7year extended warranty? Is it covered by Porsche themselves or an additional supplier?

Quote:
    GA5656 said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    ...even if the 997 was the best car in the world...

I had some second thoughts about 6 months into the wait, it was a lot of money to spend on a car and I started getting some nagging doubts. Furtunately, I'm far more immature than you and I just ignored them and blew all my cash on the bloody thing anyway.

Wait! I thought it was the best car in the world!

Any regrets spendind "all your cash?" I'm doing the same thing.

No regrets at all so far Gee A. It really is a fantastic experience to own one. I should point out that I didn't spend "all I had", just my spare cash. I'm not a wealthy man but I only bought the car because I could pay for it outright. I run my own business, and although I'm doing pretty well, there are no gaurantees. I know everybody's different but I wouldn't have taken any finance to buy it. I'm sure people who have well paid, secure jobs would disagree, but getting into a whole lot of debt for a car would stop me sleeping at night.

br d

Totally agree. My situation also. Just don't want a big monthly payment so I'm making single payment and then forgetting about it.

Thanks lads and cartouche for the post lol but its not all doom and gloom and I will drop in if you guys allow me . I have also made a purchase of a vehicle which is more suitable for my style at present , its BMW 535D A M ( Silver,grey / black ). I took my locals ( 2 mins away ) demo out for a spin and it felt nice the torque was impressive and to my surprise the handling was adequate , and you would'nt believe its a diesel . After the demo I did some rersearch and it gets some pretty good write ups also so I was happy ..

Also ask about the M5 and was told the waiting list will take me to 2008 so I will see how I like the 5 set up then maybe stick my name down , we will see ..

Take it easy lads ..

throt..

Dealer here has an unclaimed M5 due here in, I think, Nov.

Ferdie,

If memory serves, the 7yr 100k mile extended warranty was I think $3,450. The 7yr 70k mile warranty was somewhere in the $2500 range. Heck, I've spent over double that just keeping my '82 911SC maintained. The extended warranty I got is directly through Porsche.

At first when I asked for the extended warranty, they had asked me how long I planned on keeping the car. I guess I wasn't really ready for that answer, as I've never owned a car for only a few years. I said for at least as long as it's under warranty, at minimum.

Who knows? I just know I'm in absolute love with my 997S.

John

Throt,

I used to own an E60 530d A. If you want a good forum then check out www.e60.net It's a pretty good source of info and there are a lot of UK owners on there as well. The 535d can be remaped to silly bhp figures which I believe make it even more fun to drive and there are a few tuners such as Ray West who can do this for reasonable money. There is a guy on the site called hobi who can even set up your steptronic with the steering wheel and paddle shift changers from the M5. It looks a good mod if you are into that sort of thing.

As for the M5 I was recently offered a very low miles car for list price by a friend who is a BMW salesman. It was a customer car with 350 miles or so on the clock but I passed on it. The bubble on this car looks like it is about to burst in the UK and residuals are going to start to slide. My friend thinks BMW will up the UK allocation of cars next year as the initial worldwide euphoria over this model dies down. If you look at residual values of the E39 M5, the E60 version is likely to follow the same route in the UK as it just isn't visually different enough from the sport model E60's which are now a common sight here.

Quote:
    JJGray said:
    ...Who knows? I just know I'm in absolute love with my 997S.

Great thing! Enjoy the car!

3k bucks is quite a number but if you consider the coverage and that it is directly from Porsche, it would be a nice option for me as well - let alone for sleeping relaxed the next 7 years!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774840 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440371 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262086 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84843 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814241 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM