Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Need your expertise & advice - cars to buy??

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    My wife had an ML. It was the worst vehicle I've owned in 41 years of driving and the new ones dont even have frames any more. There's no logic to buying a small SUV. Get a Linclon Navigator or something that size. You can carry an ML in the back if you really want one.

Linclon Navigator-
    Too big for her to have to park where she has to park everyday.
    Almost a lock to get stolen in my area.(my uncles was stolen 3 times before he decided to buy an ML)

That's interesting. The thieves don't even like the ML's.
    Good chance we'll be laughed at by friends for trying to look homeboy.
    They drive Escalades here.
    Rides like a big water bed, handles like crap and you might as well have a waterbed full with gas in the back because of the fequent $75 fill ups.
    Well, you can take some of the $20k you save by not buying a Cayenne and buy gasoline. If you can't afford the gas, get something else.
    Ugly
    An ML is pretty?
    .Most of all it's image problem

My Dodge Durango Hemi is a smarter purchase then a Navigator. It drives and handles better, has as much/more room, is much faster with better gas milaege, you don't look like a wanna be rapper. Can handle off road better and for much less money. Also won all the contests with similar sized suvs including the Navigator.
    Never taking my 2wd Gator off road.

Sorry to hear you didn't like your ML. Obviously based on ML sales you're in the minority. Our 2003 Mercedes ML with 45,000 miles did not have one problem the whole time we owned it. And the new model ML350 rides even better. The new one is awesome. All the magazine articles I've read agree too.

There are a lot of reasons for high sales like, for instance, low price. Here's what you don't get in a Cayenne or an ML. You get a 5800 pound (2wd) body on frame vault for your wife and kids to ride in. Look under a Navigator and check out the frame. Do you see one on the other SUV's?

All that won't stop a likely car jacking. No thanks. Not for my family in the NY area anyway. Very well known bad reputation of being way too homey. Besides you can buy an Expedition getting the same truck (just without the Chrome) for less money and without the gangsta rap.

So you're THE guy w/ the 2WD Navigator. Always wondered about that.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    How many suv's have you owned ?

I have owned one other, a Ford POS and have had six or seven others in the family (BMW, Toyota, MB and Nissan mostly). I'm not a big fan of SUVs in general but since more are now being been built on a car chassis as opposed to a truck chassis, I have found more examples that I like.

The Cayenne Turbo was pretty amazing but the BMW still fit my needs better.

Quote:
    tnunnery said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    How many suv's have you owned ?

I have owned one other, a Ford POS and have had six or seven others in the family (BMW, Toyota, MB and Nissan mostly). I'm not a big fan of SUVs in general but since more are now being been built on a car chassis as opposed to a truck chassis, I have found more examples that I like.

The Cayenne Turbo was pretty amazing but the BMW still fit my needs better.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it then.
    Gotta jet. Take care.

Hey, just found this for LowPolarMoment.

Just funnin of course

Please tell me the rims spin too! I guess it's too low to have neon underneath...

I wonder if it's the 4WD model?

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    Quote:
    Still not convinced by the pickup-as-perfect-allrounder. What do you do when it rains?
    Don't people steal stuff from the back of it?
    What stops your dogs jumping out?

Man, that's all EASY stuff!!!! First off, N. American dogs must be a hell of alot smarter than Euro dogs. They don't jump out, they hang their head over the bedside and enjoy the wind!!! And if you've got a little psycho dog that wants to jump, they just ride up front with you, after all, it's just a truck.... For the rest, I'll post you some photos...

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. Looks cool. Questions answered. I think the roads over here might be a little too small to be able to live with one, but I do see how it works better over there.

Now how about the 'Why does NA prefer sedans' issue?

And while dogs are pretty stupid, I meant when stationary! You stop at lights, they see something interesting, they jump out! Maybe they're too scared of heights.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    I wonder if it's the 4WD model?

Yeah, what's the break-over angle on that?

Quote:
    And while dogs are pretty stupid, I meant when stationary! You stop at lights, they see something interesting, they jump out! Maybe they're too scared of heights.

I don't know how to answer that. They just don't. They stick with their owners. Most dogs love riding in the truck so much, that a traffic wreck between a butcher's van and a cat-catcher won't lure them out of the truck. It's just second-nature over here. When a dog is riding somewhere with his master, he knows the deal. He may bark, he may lose his mind over something. But he's not leaving that truck bed unless his dad says so.

I've always had mutts, and they have been the most brilliant of companions. My current dog is so well behaved, stays close, and obeys me immediately if I call.

Now THIS is a truck-ridin', smart as a whip, sweetie-pie of a dog!!! (Katie)

Stradale said:All that won't stop a likely car jacking. No thanks. Not for my family in the NY area anyway. Very well known bad reputation of being way too homey. Besides you can buy an Expedition getting the same truck (just without the Chrome) for less money and without the gangsta rap.

Not really! I had an Eddie Bauer Expedition and then two Navigators. They're as different as night and day. Only a person who hasn't owned them both would think they're similar. I'm personally not concerned about driving a car that a "homey" likes. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever heard anyone voice that concern but it speaks volumes.

You have to be a dog/owner/person to get it.
    My English Mastiff & German Shephard

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Stradale said:All that won't stop a likely car jacking. No thanks. Not for my family in the NY area anyway. Very well known bad reputation of being way too homey. Besides you can buy an Expedition getting the same truck (just without the Chrome) for less money and without the gangsta rap.

Not really! I had an Eddie Bauer Expedition and then two Navigators. They're as different as night and day. Only a person who hasn't owned them both would think they're similar. I'm personally not concerned about driving a car that a "homey" likes. Quite frankly, I don't think I've ever heard anyone voice that concern but it speaks volumes.

"They're as different as night and day. Only a person who hasn't owned them both would think they're similar."

Really ? You didn't know that the Navigator is a dressed up Expedition ? The roof panel and all glass are interchangeable. Didn't notice the panels have all the same shape ?

From "Consumer Guide":
    Lincoln's SUV differed from the Expedition with unique front and rear styling, extra sound deadening, softer suspension tuning, plus standard leather upholstery and walnut trim. Lincoln also offered front and rear bucket seats with a center console. Even more noticeable than the luxury appointments was the extroverted exterior trim that was ladled onto what was essentially an Expedition underneath.

&
    A new engine and transmission highlight 2005 updates to Lincoln's Ford Expedition spinoff. Navigator comes in Luxury and Ultimate models.

From "Test Drive"
    Assembly plants are working full steam to meet the demand for the the Expedition, and its luxurious near-twin, the Lincoln Navigator.

"essentially an Expedition underneath"
    "Ford Expedition spinoff. Navigator"
    "Expedition, and its luxurious near-twin, the Lincoln Navigator"

Nevertheless, they're as different as night and day. I know they're made using common parts. But if you knew what you owned one of each, you'd understand. Besides, I'd rather drive a car that "homeys" drive than one a bigot likes. BTW, there's a "homey" in my community that drives an F360. Gonna sell your 'rarri now?

Hey Stradale, I just went outside and asked a blind man if he knew a Navigator and an Expedition were made from the same parts, same panels, same glass, etc. He said even he could see that. Then I asked him if he ever drove them. He said, "No, but I've heard they're as different as night and day." Then I asked him if he knew the difference between an F360 and an F430. He said he couldn't see very much difference. Then I asked him if he'd ever driven either one. He said he hadn't but he'd heard they were as different as night and day. See?

Yikes - well that completes that thread-jacking.

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions. As of this moment, I guess I would lean towards:

Wife: X3 or ML
    Sports: 997S or 4S (Maybe cab)
    Daily car: ??

Kindest regards,

Paul

I love this post! I always think of cars in pairs or more. There's a certain synergy in having the good fortune to be able to afford more than one car (can't tell you how many times friends have said "but you can only drive one car at a time..."). I currently enjoy several different cars: my daily driver is the 997S, wife- SL500; dogs/SUV- Range Rover. I know this is a little over your budget but it's fun to think "what would I drive if I could only spend____". I love my Tundra but I can see why it's not a popular European vehicle. My son drives a '97 Defender- way overpriced here and a bargain in the UK. I would love to have an S4. Didn't like the Cayenne turbo (downshift hesitation became unbearable). Have fun picking your next cars. Tough decisions but exciting none the less.

Quote:
    PTM said:

Anyway, thanks for the great suggestions. As of this moment, I guess I would lean towards:

Kindest regards,

Paul

My daily driver is my 997S. If daily car to you means what you'll drive back and forth to work, get the 997. That's what I do. It puts me in the right mood before I walk in the office and when I leave. As long as you trust your co-workers, you'll never worry about it getting keyed. If you need something to pull into a Target or KMart parking lot, use the wife's car.

Quote:
    PTM said:

Kindest regards,

Paul

Sounds great Paul! Awesome combo!

For your 3rd("daily car?"), I'd choose a Ford pickup- great for N. America! Check out the Lincoln pickup too!

OT- Love the dog pictures!

Can't believe people would take that ugly ogar ML over our very own Cayenne! Are you guys nuts?

If 200k is your budget, get a 997s Cab for yourself and a Cayenne Turbo for your wife. What a combo!!....Actually, sounds kind of familiar!

Funny you should say that. I just showed my wife the Cayenne video on the Porsche site. I think it worked - on both of us. So - it is in the running for a test drive. The only thing I feel strange about is getting a 997S for myself and a Cayenne Turbo for my wife. The Turbo is on the wrong car.

The other potential problem is that she has never had a car nearly as powerful as the Cayenne Turbo. I don't know how she'd handle it as she speeds a little as it is. For those of you who have driven one, does it feel anywhere near as fast as a 996TT? That's my only reference point.

Options:

Wife: ML500, X3, Cayenne S
    Me: 997S or 4S (maybe cab - maybe X51?)
    Daily: ??

Quote:
    If 200k is your budget, get a 997s Cab for yourself and a Cayenne Turbo for your wife. What a combo!!....Actually, sounds kind of familiar

and two sets of nice rims ... this is America after all !

Quote:
    PTM said:
    Funny you should say that. I just showed my wife the Cayenne video on the Porsche site. I think it worked - on both of us. So - it is in the running for a test drive. The only thing I feel strange about is getting a 997S for myself and a Cayenne Turbo for my wife. The Turbo is on the wrong car.

Possibly. Aren't the brakes a little under-powered for the engine power on the Cayenne Turbo? (I'm not a Cayenne expert, but I do recall that RC uprated his with a powerkit and found it improved the car no end).

I'd probably go CayenneS and put the turbo on the 997.
    Daft question, but do you really need the turbo 997? Won't an S do? You lose front trunk space with the 4WD, don't forget.

Save the money and put towards a 3rd gen purpose vehicle. Even a used one, maybe? But what are your preferences on that, I'd like to know!

HIS and Hers
    HIS and Hers

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Quote:
    If 200k is your budget, get a 997s Cab for yourself and a Cayenne Turbo for your wife. What a combo!!....Actually, sounds kind of familiar

and two sets of nice rims ... this is America after all !

[ref: pics] - Nice? That's the American dictionary definition then! (just teasing) Not my cup of tea, Sorry Ocean!

Quote:
    PTM said:

The other potential problem is that she has never had a car nearly as powerful as the Cayenne Turbo. I don't know how she'd handle it as she speeds a little as it is. For those of you who have driven one, does it feel anywhere near as fast as a 996TT? That's my only reference point.

Options:

The Cayenne Turbo is an absolutely beautiful car to drive. The power and precision in handling is really something special. I have driven (extensively) the base and the S - and whilst the S is a good second choice, I don't like the car aesthetically. That Turbo bumper is just jaw droppingly sexy to look at!

I know that RC absolutely raves about the Power Kit Brakes, but the standards are certainly not too shabby as they are...certainly nothing to be worried about!

I would take both the S and the Turbo for test drives and see for yourself. I can't see why the 'turbo' on the Cayenne would be so intimiading for you - the 997 s can still outpace the mighty turbo - so it must be a 'male ego' thing.

Quote:
    OCEAN said:

HIS and Hers
    HIS and Hers

That 997 is absolutely gorgeous! I don't like the TA 20's on it though, they look way too big. I would go for the 18 or 19's. I am strongly considering getting the TA kit on my upcoming C4 to match the Full CTT TA kit!

Also, that Cayenne is way too high off the ground, it looks weird. Check out my baby, she looks much better

Quote:
    PTM said:

Options:

Yeah, PTM, the Cayenne Turbo could be your Wifes vehicle.
    Of course, you'll be driving it often enough!

If you go that route, I'd definitely wait for the model face lift.

Quote:
    mish said:
    Can't believe people would take that ugly ogar ML over our very own Cayenne! Are you guys nuts?

If 200k is your budget, get a 997s Cab for yourself and a Cayenne Turbo for your wife. What a combo!!....Actually, sounds kind of familiar!

Yeah mish, I'd really prefer the Cayenne too - just trying to keep him under budget and considering he was also thinking of a 3rd "daily" driver too.

I think the ML is very nice looking- a big improvement over the previous style.

Ocean,

That Cayenne and neighborhood looks very familiar.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753089 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430710 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258591 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255455 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79503 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868308 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801860 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM