Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

too many problems

'06 997 cab S-six weeks old, 2500 miles-already had clutch creaking noises serviced, roof leaks on both sides, extreme wind (top-up) noise on right rear side, there is a squeaking noise everytime the car's weight shifts (not windows or anything discernable), there is a grinding noise from the engine/back of car when releasing the clutch after shifting from first to second and second to third, car's clock is increasingly slow. I've already had enough. I'm going back to BMW's. Anyone want to buy this?

Re: too many problems

u going back to bmw!?

Help me understand.....you have a car that has industry leading handling and vehicle dynamics and you're worried about a "slow clock"??? It seems all the annoyances that you mention are easily corrected.

My 997S has been flawless.... of course it's not a cab... sorry to hear of your issues. BMW throws its share of lemons out there, take your chances...

Quote:
    harlandoc said:
    '06 997 cab S-six weeks old, 2500 miles-already had clutch creaking noises serviced, roof leaks on both sides, extreme wind (top-up) noise on right rear side, there is a squeaking noise everytime the car's weight shifts (not windows or anything discernable), there is a grinding noise from the engine/back of car when releasing the clutch after shifting from first to second and second to third, car's clock is increasingly slow. I've already had enough. I'm going back to BMW's. Anyone want to buy this?

I had exactly the same probs on my new BMW 330CiC full ops - not even mentioning the lousy service with BMW Belgium - I've had it with BMW and when EUR become available will go for a Porsche with a German dealer support contract.

Quote:
    bazza said:
    u going back to bmw!?

Seriously, why would you subject yourself to such torture?

Obviously you didn't understand my thoughts. The clock is a minor issue, but why put in a defective one at all? What about the garage door openers that don't work? Yes, also a minor issue. It's the idea now of two trips to the dealer in the first six weeks of ownership that has me frustrated and concerned for the future. That's more trips than I made in the last six years for both of my M5's, excluding oil service.

Quote:
    harlandoc said:
    Obviously you didn't understand my thoughts. The clock is a minor issue, but why put in a defective one at all? What about the garage door openers that don't work? Yes, also a minor issue. It's the idea now of two trips to the dealer in the first six weeks of ownership that has me frustrated and concerned for the future. That's more trips than I made in the last six years for both of my M5's, excluding oil service.

Bad luck? We own three Porsche now, Boxster S with 2200 km (no problems so far), Cayenne Turbo PK (just rear hatch micro switch, 26000 km so far...has been to half of Europe), 997 Carrera S (one of a batch of first cars, 16000 km, new clutch and gearbox due to funny noise as a preventive measure to make sure that "final" cars don't have a serious problem, nothing else so far, has been to South France, driven very very hard).
    Give your dealer a chance to fix everything and maybe a letter to Porsche would accelerate things.

But like somebody already said: maybe this is the wrong car for you because one thing is for sure, it isn't the "plushy", "low-noise", comfortable kind of M5 car, it is a REAL sportscar. I came from BMW to Porsche and never turned back. The difference in driving feel and handling is huge, even compared to the M3, so I really would "fight" to keep my Porsche instead of getting a BMW or Mercedes or whatever again. But again...this is my personal opinion.

Whatever your reasoning it may be a good idea. A lot of problems can lead to a lot more. If you're not feeling good about it you might as well cut your losses. That way you just end it and move on.

Quote:
    harlandoc said:

How much? I'm interested.

FYI--Mine is going in for its 20k-miles service on 26 September. Bought it in December 05. Had an RMS leak, but otherwise perfect and doing much better than my friends' Lambos, Ferraris, and Lotus.

I can sympathize with your position. Had an 2000 BMW 540i. Had more problems in six months than Osama has hiding places. Traded for an '01 M3 convertible. Flawless. Now have 997s coupe. Best car I've ever owned.If you're not comfortable, do it!!!

Quote:
    harlandoc said:

Harlandoc,

What you need is some lemonade. My 2005 (996) Turbo S Cab has been absolutely flawless in nearly 3,000 miles of driving, with "aggressive" ( ) break-in, and some very hard driving since (0-60 launches, hard cornering and braking, but no speeding tickets yet ), no rattles, no funny noises, no mechanical faults, and a complete joy to drive-well, one MINOR fault: My digital clock on the dash module in 12-hour mode reads 0:00-0:59 from 12:00am-12:59am (oops!),but it's not "slowing down."

In contrast my Ferrari-nut friend got his new F430 (coupe) this spring with all sorts of recurring electrical problems, so he traded it in-not for a new make-he stuck with Ferrari-and has an F430 Spider for L.A. delivery in November. Similarly, I had lots of little nuisance maintenance issues with my previous Bimmer. But I didn't switch to Porsche out of Bimmer frustration, I simply wanted a 911 turbo cab and couldn't wait for the 997 version. I'm still on the 997TSCab (amongst other variants! ) wait list. And my experience so far with a 996TT reinforces my enthusiasm for the 997TT.

Take RC's advice: Pester PAG/PCNA. In writing and perhaps by personal phone call. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. . . ."

Quote:
    harlandoc said:

I had several frustrating problems when I got my 996 Cab, including a defective alternator, oil leak and defective gasoline meter. Porsche fixed all of them within the first couple weeks of ownership and I never had another problem. After a year or so of hard driving my convertible top started squeaking. Porsche adjusted it and then I never had another problem. In fact, the older the car gets the little squeakes and rattles have subsided. I think the car has "settled." If I were you I would not throw in the towel just yet. Give Porsche a chance to fix your car and then ask your dealership for some freebies for your hassle. I had Porsche throw in my first clutch replacement and an oil change as a result of my troubles. That's $1500+ of freebies for my time.

I have had zero problems with my Cab and any chance I get to drive this car is a blessing even if it is to delaer to get the car fixed

I've had my '06 997S Coupe for 6 weeks now, and I think I've resolved myself to believe that with so much engineering involved, there's bound to be naggling foibles with some of the vehicles coming off the assembly line. Mine seems to be one of them -
    - Arrived at delivery with the PCM DOA. No sound from the Bose system, although there were no fault indications through testing with the PIWIS. Waited 3 days for a new PCM to be air-freighted in, got the sound system back, but then had configuration issues with the Sport Chrono which took a dialog with the factory to get resolved.
    - Back in the shop yesterday for a nasty 'clunk' sound in the front-end when going over speed bumps or railroad crossings; Fortunately a simple fix took care of it - the swaybar link in the right front was loose and had to be re-torqued.
    I'm hopeful that's all I'll have to deal with for the near future, but you know what? It still doesn't sway my love for the car - everytime I get behind the wheel the full experience of driving that car is unmatched by any trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned.

I previously had a '99 M3 which never went to the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance; It was a great car, lots of fun to drive, but the Carrera is in a class by itself. I also had a '93 Camaro Z28 which was trouble-free for nearly 100k miles, but a Chevy truck that was a POS that I couldn't wait to unload. Harlandoc, I understand your frustration, but there are no guarantees that some of us won't have these annoyances, regardless of how much we spend on the vehicle. As long as I or my dealer can FIX the issue I'll focus on the sheer enjoyment of driving, and try to overlook the annoyances. When it can't be fixed, then it's time to find something else.

....just my 2 cents worth.

god luck with your repairs know the feeling, it ,might be a coincidence with the particular production car.

I've had my 997s for 3.5 months, with 3400km. No problems yet. Minor annoyance includes a creaking dashboard (I've accepted now). But everything else has been perfect. The coupe is an absolute joy to drive, short or long distances.

I understand about the clock being slow. Just gives me an excuse to drive faster to get to my destination

Give them a chance to fix it. Apply some added pressure by writing an official letter or bringing your lawyer if needed, or ask for freebies, but let them have a go at it one more time. It's well worth it imho.

Has the Dealer fixed the problems that you've had with the car? None of the problems you mentioned are of the "live with it" variety. By that I mean your problems, major and minor, should all be taken care of by the Dealer's Service Department. Please let us know the resolution to your problems with the car.

I can sympathise too. Came out of BMWs, still have a E60 530d, all without any problems whatsoever. The 997S has been in the shop so often, one acquaintance thought I owned three Porsches, a yellow Boxster loaner I had 3 times, and a Cayenne I had twice, and my 997. STill, eachh time it's been in, it's come out better, and now everything appears to be sorted. The car is so much fun that I think it's worth the minor(?) nuances. My point, if you enjoy driving it at least keep it till the issues are sorted.... the new M5, though very impressive and extremely capable, is not the driving experience the 997 is IMO.

They say a new boat will have, on average, 10 problems in the first year of ownership. Given their expense, Porsches are rather boat like I guess. I'd give your dealer a chance to get everything sorted out and dialed in. I think once you move beyond the initial teething pains you'll really start to enjoy the car.

997 S cab purchased in May.
    3500 miles and 1 minor issue - Car needed brake fluid to be topped off. Brought it into dealer when I saw the light come on and was out of there in 20 minutes.
    Other than that it's been perfect. Matter of fact it feels even better now then when brand new. Accelerates harder, brakes better, shifts smoother, even the suspension seams to have settled and gotton smoother.
    No rattles, no squeaks, no strange wind noises, no leaks etc.

Purchased in Feb 05, 7800 miles later, no issues at all. The car is perfect, appreciating the engineering marvel more and more each day. Used to be a Bimmer fan as well, but this is a different animal. You might want to stick it out a while longer to see if things improve...just my thoughts

I also had many problems (My car broke down ten days after I picked it from the dealership), but my dealer was able to fix it. I dont think any other car in the market would give me the same satisfaction that I am having with my 997s.

Re: too many problems-update

After 8 days in service since August 1, this engineering marvel still squeaks, the clutch still grinds at high rpm from 1st to second gear, roof still leaks. What a disappointment! I can't wait until the lease is over. I'm even willing to take a huge loss now just to get rid of it. My three-year-old Chevy Tahoe has been in for a total of 2 days. It's back to BMW next time.

Sorry to hear about your continued problems- good luck!

Try another Porsche dealer...yours doesn't seem to have the qualifications required to repair your car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781904 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442837 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263486 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261900 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6008 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881661 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819643 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM