Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

R 63 AMG Launched

More info:
    http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050905.003

Not a fan but it has a good engine.

Re: R 63 AMG Launched

Thanks Bilal!
    I almost like this new car. It still reminds me too much of the Pacifica to really become interested, but it looks much meaner than the non-AMG R-class.
    That 6.3L doesn't hurt either.

Thanks Bilal!
    I almost like this new car. It still reminds me too much of the Pacifica to really become interested, but it looks much meaner than the non-AMG R-class.
    That 6.3L doesn't hurt either.

I do not like what AMG is doing lately!!! UGLY !!!!!!
    It just looks more and more like simply 'hood' tuning!!!!
    Look at what they did to the new ML.... UGLY !!!
    Before they where more suptile.... Not my cup of tea anymore

I do not like what AMG is doing lately!!! UGLY !!!!!!
    It just looks more and more like simply 'hood' tuning!!!!
    Look at what they did to the new ML.... UGLY !!!
    Before they where more suptile.... Not my cup of tea anymore

Utterly tasteless and disgusting - a Chrysler Town and Country on on a 3500 calorie a day diet...

Utterly tasteless and disgusting - a Chrysler Town and Country on on a 3500 calorie a day diet...

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Well, some new Mercedes models are nice looking, others look horrible but this is NOT the problem.
    The problem is the PRICE TAG of the new 63 AMG models and the fact that a lot of "newbies" and people who never drove a 510 HP monster will find their way to these cars. And this somehow worries me, seeing a huge number of soccer moms and tie dads driving such a monster in daily traffic. I already had some funny CLK55/SL55/S55 encounters which were pretty scary and now this: they should sell special driving training classes with such cars. Because it makes a difference if a sportscar has 510 HP or a family car.

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

Well, some new Mercedes models are nice looking, others look horrible but this is NOT the problem.
    The problem is the PRICE TAG of the new 63 AMG models and the fact that a lot of "newbies" and people who never drove a 510 HP monster will find their way to these cars. And this somehow worries me, seeing a huge number of soccer moms and tie dads driving such a monster in daily traffic. I already had some funny CLK55/SL55/S55 encounters which were pretty scary and now this: they should sell special driving training classes with such cars. Because it makes a difference if a sportscar has 510 HP or a family car.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

AMG is really getting carried away. This thing isn't going to sell.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:

AMG is really getting carried away. This thing isn't going to sell.

Why is the this car necessary?

Quote:
    RC said:
    ... Because it makes a difference if a sportscar has 510 HP or a family car.

In fact for the sake of driving safety it DOESN`T make a difference, it's still way more power most of these owners can take good use of!

Besides that, this car is going to sale, in my opinion you get pretty used to this design once you've seen it in reality.
    The current Mercedes models have stylings that don't adapt easily to spectators' taste, as time goes by it sure will. Same with the flared fenders on the new S-class!

Quote:
    RC said:
    ... Because it makes a difference if a sportscar has 510 HP or a family car.

In fact for the sake of driving safety it DOESN`T make a difference, it's still way more power most of these owners can take good use of!

Besides that, this car is going to sale, in my opinion you get pretty used to this design once you've seen it in reality.
    The current Mercedes models have stylings that don't adapt easily to spectators' taste, as time goes by it sure will. Same with the flared fenders on the new S-class!

But then , this search that seems to have no end to have 'family' cars have such HUGE amount of power, with accelerations that are comparable to sports cars ( the R 63 will do 0 to 100km/h in less than 5 seconds ) does not make sence to me. Is it just a marketing spirale constructors have fallen in ? Soon we will have SUV and family vans get over 600HP with accelerations of around 4 s to do 0 to 100 driven by moms taking the kids to school.. This is getting ABSURD !!! and DANGEROUS !! Maybe they will install devises that cut down the power to 250 HP eveytime neeeded ( that is always..), block the speed limit to 120km/h, don't allow you to arrive fast in a corner, brake when there is any kind of danger...., park by themself... just in order to stay safe!!!

But then , this search that seems to have no end to have 'family' cars have such HUGE amount of power, with accelerations that are comparable to sports cars ( the R 63 will do 0 to 100km/h in less than 5 seconds ) does not make sence to me. Is it just a marketing spirale constructors have fallen in ? Soon we will have SUV and family vans get over 600HP with accelerations of around 4 s to do 0 to 100 driven by moms taking the kids to school.. This is getting ABSURD !!! and DANGEROUS !! Maybe they will install devises that cut down the power to 250 HP eveytime neeeded ( that is always..), block the speed limit to 120km/h, don't allow you to arrive fast in a corner, brake when there is any kind of danger...., park by themself... just in order to stay safe!!!

Quote:
    RareAir23 said:

It's NOT - completely useless....I agree with RC -- soccer moms and 500 hp beasts are not a good mix....

Quote:
    RareAir23 said:

It's NOT - completely useless....I agree with RC -- soccer moms and 500 hp beasts are not a good mix....

It might be nonsense, however putting such an engine on this car makes it exclusive, thefore wealthy famous people will buy it. What happens next? Simply that less wealthy people, because of the image of this car, they will buy the less powerful version with normal version.
    Result? more money in Mercedes wallet!

Simpler than that...

It might be nonsense, however putting such an engine on this car makes it exclusive, thefore wealthy famous people will buy it. What happens next? Simply that less wealthy people, because of the image of this car, they will buy the less powerful version with normal version.
    Result? more money in Mercedes wallet!

Simpler than that...

"R" is for ridiculous.

"R" is for ridiculous.

My question is why would Mercedes introduce the first AMG 63 on the R class? This is perhaps that last class of the merc lineup I think would support the efforts from amg.

My question is why would Mercedes introduce the first AMG 63 on the R class? This is perhaps that last class of the merc lineup I think would support the efforts from amg.

Some of you guys must wear panties.

This car is built for people who want it, you either get it or you don't.

I look forward to soccer mom's all over the world leaving many cars in its wake, even better if the kids are strapped in as well.

Some of you guys must wear panties.

This car is built for people who want it, you either get it or you don't.

I look forward to soccer mom's all over the world leaving many cars in its wake, even better if the kids are strapped in as well.

Quote:
    RossN said:

They'd better be!

Quote:
    RossN said:

They'd better be!

From a kinetical point of view sportscars and family vans with such an amount of power are equally dangerous. The later might not go as fast but the energy in case of an accident is tremendous.
    On the other side we have people driving Cayennes at the limit, some people drive their GT's at or over the limit - the results might be similiar.
    I agree that this power might be a waste or even threat in the hands of various people, but so could an E55 or M5 be - or even a Peugeot 206 RC...

Bottom end I don't believe that it makes a difference if you drive an ML or R-class with that engine, any high-powered SUV or similiar models are plain ridiculous and totally off the initial way of use!
    I don't think that this hp war will infinitely continue - if you consider the first reports of the IAA autoshow in German TV, the "accusations" for not providing Hybrid vehicles to the public so far does a much bigger impact than anything else right now...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781567 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442740 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263436 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261812 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85922 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5968 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881581 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819391 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM