Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Smelly car.

I'm up to 800 miles now and the car seems to smell bad whenever im town driving. I'm still sticking under 4000 revs and although I'm not a good driver I don't think I'm being hard on her. The clutch and brakes both seem to be burning even under gentle driving. She does seem to need a bit of revving for pulling away from a standstill but I wouldn't say I'm driving aggressively. So, my question is: What's the longest river in Peru? No...wait a minute..that wasn't it. Oh yeah, did anybody else's car stink like this early on?

br d

Re: Smelly car.

Don't have a 997 but my 987 exhibited a burning smell fairly often during the first few thousand miles. Now, at 7.5k, it's basically gone.

Don't worry, it's smelly. Should go away. BTW, sorry if you already know this but, you shouldn't have to rev engine at all to get going from a standstill. In fact, when driving in a tame manner it is best that you try to "rev match" (even though impossible from a standstill). My guess is, with casual driving, brakes shouldn't smell or burn, they should just be less efficient when breaking in. My bet is it's the waxy stuff they spray everywhere on car (at least BMW does) before shipment by ocean-going ship. It's then steam-washed off when on land before going to dealer (again, BMW port prep). Also the "permanent"rust proofing can get sprayed on engine parts and take a while to vaporize or off-gas completely. The other thing is you might have run over and caught a plastic shopping bag... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    The other thing is you might have run over and caught a plastic shopping bag... .

...or a cat.

They all do it - it'll subside within a few thousand miles.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    BTW, sorry if you already know this but, you shouldn't have to rev engine at all to get going from a standstill.

You're going to have to elaborate on that for me MMD. I find I have to give the car quite a foot-full of revs on pullaway otherwise it stalls (I've done that loads of times, very embarrassing!).

br d

Same here. Started to subside around 1,500 miles. Totally gone now.

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:
    BTW, sorry if you already know this but, you shouldn't have to rev engine at all to get going from a standstill.

You're going to have to elaborate on that for me MMD. I find I have to give the car quite a foot-full of revs on pullaway otherwise it stalls (I've done that loads of times, very embarrassing!).

br d

I'm not an expert but here goes.

Usually when a kid first learns to use a manual tranny s/he gives engine quite a bit of gas and then lets the clutch slowly and the result is lots of clutch slippage and lots of engine speed, but they manage to get the car rolling without stalling.

What I loosely called "rev matching" in this case is to do the extreme opposite from what a kid does as decribed above.

There's almost zero clutch slip (yes, there has to be some clutch slip) and the engine only appears to have "revs" as the car accelerates with the clutch fully enguaged.

In normal day-to-day driving you really shouldn't have ANY perceivable clutch slippage as perceived by a car-nut bystander.

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

br d

I find this kind of strange too and never really seem to get it right. It's either too many revs or the feeling like it's about to stall. It seems as if you just have to mechanically put your foot on the gas and release the clutch simultuaneously and trust that it won't stall.

Quote:
    br d said:
    I'm up to 800 miles now and the car seems to smell bad whenever im town driving. I'm still sticking under 4000 revs and although I'm not a good driver I don't think I'm being hard on her. The clutch and brakes both seem to be burning even under gentle driving. She does seem to need a bit of revving for pulling away from a standstill but I wouldn't say I'm driving aggressively.

Release the handbrake when you let out the clutch.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    I find this kind of strange too and never really seem to get it right. It's either too many revs or the feeling like it's about to stall. It seems as if you just have to mechanically put your foot on the gas and release the clutch simultuaneously and trust that it won't stall.

I suspect that the phenomenon you are referring to is the fact that sports cars have relatively light flywheels compared to other manual tranny vehicles, and lighter flywheels are less tolerant of mismatching throttle opening to the torque required to move off smoothly from rest.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

br d

I'm not an expert but here goes.

Usually when a kid first learns to use a manual tranny s/he gives engine quite a bit of gas and then lets the clutch slowly and the result is lots of clutch slippage and lots of engine speed, but they manage to get the car rolling without stalling.

What I loosely called "rev matching" in this case is to do the extreme opposite from what a kid does as decribed above.

There's almost zero clutch slip (yes, there has to be some clutch slip) and the engine only appears to have "revs" as the car accelerates with the clutch fully enguaged.

In normal day-to-day driving you really shouldn't have ANY perceivable clutch slippage as perceived by a car-nut bystander.

Lol. Well I appreciate the advice, but I come from the UK where there are very few autos. I've been driving manual trannies for 23 years, including bikes, cars, vans and lorries, and although I don't rate myself as a very good driver, I *do* know that pulling away in a 997s "without revving the engine at all" simply won't work. We must be at cross purposes here.

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    So, my question is: What's the longest river in Peru?
    br d

The Amazon River (occasionally River Amazon; Spanish: Río Amazonas, Portuguese: Rio Amazonas) of South America is the second longest river on Earth, the Nile River in Africa being the longest. The Amazon has by far the greatest total flow of any river, carrying more than the Mississippi, Nile, and Yangtze rivers combined. Its drainage area, called the Amazon Basin, is the largest of any river system.

The Amazon drains an area of some 6,915,000km2 (2,722,000 mile2), or some 40 percent of South America. It gathers its waters from 5 degrees north latitude to 20 degrees south latitude. Its most remote sources are found on the inter-Andean plateau, just a short distance from the Pacific Ocean; and, after a course of about 7,200 km (4,800 mi) through the interior of Peru and across Brazil, it enters the Atlantic Ocean at the equator.

I suspect the Amazon River smells worse than your 911.

Quote:
    br d said:
    Lol. Well I appreciate the advice, but I come from the UK where there are very few autos. I've been driving manual trannies for 23 years, including bikes, cars, vans and lorries, and although I don't rate myself as a very good driver, I *do* know that pulling away in a 997s "without revving the engine at all" simply won't work. We must be at cross purposes here.
    br d

I've had problems you describe driving 996s, but my 997 is much easier, and I can almost pull away without any revs at all, like MMD says. Have only stalled twice in 8000km, both times in reverse. I'm not that good a driver either. Until the 997, I've been driving auto transmissions since 1996, manuals for 10yrs before that.

Quote:
    br d said:

I *do* know that pulling away in a 997s "without revving the engine at all" simply won't work. We must be at cross purposes here.

br d

Nah, I wish we were neighbors and I could show you what I mean. It's like playing an instrument, I guess. Beginners and experts play the same piece by Mozart, yet the expert does something so much better. Bad example, maybe since I'm not an "advanced" driver. All I mean, and respectfully so, is maybe the car can do things you're not aware it can do.

I never stall (unless under some kind of mental stress) and I know my clutch is very happy with the apparently incredibly low revs. There's "no" slippage.

Check other forums and you'll see this technique described.

i had a simular problem in my 03 996, spoke to my dealer on numerous occations, even went on a test drive with a Porsche tech, he assured me that all porsche's give that slight smell, he said it was not the clutch. I wasn't happy with that answer soo i checked with a nother dealer, which told me the same.

So what is making the smell then? I've read this comment on at least a couple of other posts in this forum. From the exhuast possibly when it is new?

I think that trying to tell a UK driver how to use a manual transmission is a little like 'trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs'. We find it more un-natural to drive an auto!

br d, I only have a 987S to compare, but now that the car is run in (clutch/engine) I can easily balance the car on the clutch without revving the nuts off and scaring the neighbours. Though I did find that the car would tend to stall v.suddenly in the early miles if you didn't give higher than normal revs. Ie, it used to be very unforgiving, but now is much more tolerant of close-to-stall revs.

If you are having problems 1000+ miles in, then probably best take it in to the dealer, as you're probably not doing your clutch too much good in the meantime.

question: does your car have PSE ???

Ussually sports exhaust systems tend to smell bad. Mine is still after 1500 km

Hi Brad the smell will go away .Have had my 997s for 7months and covered 5000 miles now and car feels and smells fine now,except when i burning rubber of course
    With regards to pulling away without over revving the engine i suppose it depends on what we all reagard as "over revving"I agree with you Brad that you do need a few revs on to get a nice pull away but you will get used to it (by the way i also bought my car from Jason at OPC Colchester)

MMD: Well, I went out yesterday and tried to do it, but I stalled a lot. I do see your point though, I definitely improved a bit over the course of the day, I may just be overly cautious of the stalling and revving too high to compensate.

wtsnet: Yep, I'll crouch down and hide behind your fine reasoning there mate and use it as my excuse. The car isn't settled yet! It's not my fault!

Dilinger: Don't have PSE, but from others comments here it seems pretty normal that the car should whiff a bit at first.

robbo: How did you know I got the car from Jason at Colchester? I think I mentioned Colchester, don't
    remember mentioning Jason. He did a fine job though, shame about the fault I had when I picked up the car but no blame to him.

Leong: It's probably just me. I normally drive trucks and vans so perhaps I'm just a clumsy footed f**ker!

And addict: Thanks for taking the time on the river question. Now, what would be the best way to clear up a
    small rash on the Promontorium Heraclides?

Thanks for the input guys.

br d

Simple,i read your post about a satnav problem on picking up your car,and thought i bet he bought it from Jason at Colchester(as you live in Essex,and thats the only OPC nearby).Next time i was at the dealer i mentioned to Jason ,and he said yes it was one of my cars.

Quote:
    br d said:
    I may just be overly cautious of the stalling and revving too high to compensate.

Yeah, I'll say! It's a really sh*tty feeling stalling this car; I can definitely see the over-caution thing coming into play. The jolt and ca-chunk and dead stop, can make you sick.

Geez, maybe a little extra clutch plate wear is better than chancing ripping the guts out of the drive train?!

br d,

Don't confuse revving a motor at higher rpms with having to apply more throttle to maintain it running.... I realize that's confusing, but I'm worried that you are toasting the buhjeezus out of your clutch, by simply not being well-taught in proper clutch/gas engagement.

For normal driving, you should be able to MODULATE clutch and throttle to maintain a steady 1,000 rpm from a standing start. You should not rev the engine higher until the clutch is all the way out. If you're stalling, that just means you're not modulating well, you're not feeding the throttle to coincide with the clutch engagement. In short, you're having a hard time walking and chewing gum at the same time. In my 997S, I find normal low-rpm starts are quite easy, especially compared to my former 993 Carrera. The clutch engagement is much more positive and communicative, and the low-end grunt of the 3.8 is far less prone to stalling.

Anyhow, you may not be guilty of any of my suspicions. I just get nervous when I hear tales of having a hard time with frequent stalling, in a car that I find so easy to drive, and drive WELL, from a standing start. I would take your car into the dealer one free afternoon, and have a tech ride along with you, to see if your car is faulty, or if you are faulty. Also, a clogged catalytic converter will smell to high heaven, and will also sap low-end power. It's not likely in a new car, but it could possibly be a faulty unit. Just tossing ideas out there.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781162 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442643 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263394 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261713 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85846 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5927 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881477 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819060 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM