Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

First time Boxster purchase... looking for a few suggestions

After looking at this board a few weeks, I decided to make the big step and purchase my first Porsche, a BoxsterS. As I live now in Taiwan ordering from the factory is not really an easy option and takes more than 6 months, I am not that patient so I need to go with some of the models they have available...

One of them is a nice Black basalt metallic, with beautiful sand beige interior. Sports package (it is std in Taiwan), 18'', and not really much more options, except a BT phone setup from Nokia.

The other one is a GT silver metallic (nice expensive silver paint) with gray seats. Does not look as nice as the first one, but full of options, Bose, 19'', power seats, PCM with GPS maps for TWN, multi funtcion wheel, etc..
    Now the other drawback with the second one is that it was used as demo for the local press which I imagine did not drive it as smoothly as it should be driven. On the other side I expect a nice price break on the second one as it is not 100% new, but has around 1000 miles on it.

Anyway price is not my main factor, as both cars will cost me around twice what you pay in US, due to local taxes for cars over 70-80%

I have one week to make up my mind, I tend to prefer the black one because it is really new and looks nice, and I might not need all the options - on top of that std sound seems ok to me after trying, but still the GPS , the 19'' the MP3 capabilities of PCM are attractive in the second car.

So I was just curious to hear if some of you, Boxster lovers had some nice advice... and dont worry, once I buy it I will post pictures.
    And if there is any other Porsche owner based in TWN, hope I will hear from him so we can go drive those nice mountain roads together...

Tks for the feedback
    Maxime

Re: First time Boxster purchase... looking for a few suggestions

Welcome to Rennteam!

In answer to your question I wouldn't go for the second option under any circumstances if it has had a hard early few miles as a demonstrator.

I've had my Boxster S 5 months now and done over 5,000 miles, so I can advise you with the benefit of my experience.

The black car sounds ideal, I've got Bose in my car and I don't actually listen to it that often, the engine sounds much better. I've also got PCM + navigation and with hindsight I would have been better buying one of the portable units. Here in the UK TomTom Go seems to be the best, but I guess you've got equivalent kit in Taiwan. I've also got 19" Carrera S wheels, and whilst they add visual drama they don't add anything to the driving experience and some here say the 19" wheels detract from ride and handling slightly. You don't really need power seats (they add weight) and with no PCM you wouldn't miss the multifunction wheel (I went for the sports wheel). Other options line stainless steel exhaust (would look great with black) etc you can always add with no problem if you want them.

Black with sand beige is a distinctive and classy combination, personally I'd rather have that than GT silver with grey as you don't have much colour contrast with that, but of course colour choice is down to personal preference.

I agree with dreamcar. Remember that the break-in period on the Boxster is 2000 miles. You can expect that no press reviewer observed this in driving the GT silver car.

The sand beige interior is beautiful. You need very few options. The ones I appreciate most are the bi-xenons and heated seats. The Bose is nice -- not great -- but you can always remedy that with an aftermarket stereo. The PCM also nice, but not necessary. The power seats, auto climate control, etc., all unnecessary. Go with the black one.

I would definitely suggest the first car. The color combination, especially the sand beige interior, always looks superb. Although the second car may seem tempting with all its options, the fact that it's a press car would bother me. I'm sure it wasn't driven the way it should be during the break in period. Also, the only option the second car has that I would like to have is the PCM.
    Whatever you decide, I'll be waiting for some pictures.

I agree with dreamcar as well, I just picked up my Black 987 S (see post "Some Quick Pictures") - went with 19" Classics and had the Bose thrown in for free....you really don't have any incentive to put the sound system on when you an engine like that but hey its up to you.

I declined the power seats option - it's really pointless unless you have more than one driver regularly (if you're smart, you won't :-D) and it adds weight.

Good call going with the S over the base - it's well worth the 10K difference, unless you get a Tiptronic, then you're nullifying the effects of paying that premium.

Test drive the black one if you can, and specifically try the sound system. If you like the ride and can live with the sound (or without it), I'd go for the black one. Basalt is beautiful and it's a brandnew car which you can break in yourself.

If you need better sound, test drive the GT silver one afterwards.

How much weight do you think the power seats weigh? I was thinking of getting ps next time because I want the lumbar support. I'm actually a little surprised the lumbar support isn't standard on a car of this level.

I've got the electric seats for two reasons - The lumbar support adjustment (back issues) is great, plus the sports seats weren't comfortable due to my short body and wide shoulders. The electric seats also give memory positions for the mirrors, which can be useful if reversing to drop the angle on BOTH sides. All small points though, admittedly. I don't think the weight gain of the electrics is enough to be noticable.

Is the Sand Beige full leather? I'd probably go with the first one. If the seats are comfortable enough, then there's not much else you really need.

I think Basalt Black, Partial Black Leather Seats, Bose, Wind Deflector, Sports Seats, 18" Wheels, Auto Air Con and Sports Steering Wheel are pretty much what I'd recommend!

Re: First time Boxster purchase... looking for a few suggest

Thanks to everyone for the many answers...really helps and conforts me in my choice, as I am also leaning more and more towards purchasing the Black basalt one with Sand beige interior. I also dont like press people in Taiwan driving the other car...they recently trashed a brand new M6.

Tks for some of the options suggestions, but here it is really difficult to order custom cars, unless you are ready to wait for 6 months...and then I would get the Boxster in the middle of the raining season !!!

Note that all cars are Tiptronic here, being european I dont really like that, but there is no choice and it would be impossible to resell the car if it had a stick.

To be honest I listened to the normal stereo system (non-Bose) in the Black one, and it was quite good. Maybe I will just add a Subwoofer later...or as many say here just listen to the engine.

Next week I am back to Taipei and will negotiate the price, and if all goes well, you should get pictures in 2,3 weeks.

Tks again for the feedback.
    Maxime

Putting the subwoofer isn't worth the extra effort in the size you have with the Boxster IMHO. All TipTronic - are you serious?

Oh and let them trash the M6 :-D

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    Oh and let them trash the M6 :-D

From what I read, most "M" engines self-destruct anyway.

If we're lucky maybe the whole car can self-destruct...

Viva Porsche!

Just in such a giddy mood this week, especially after all the envious stares from other BMW and Mercedes vehicles

So based on all the feedback I am more and more convinced to buy the black one - in fact it is Atlas Grey...look quite dark, but very nice, and Sand beige interior.
    I am still negotiating the price - a car like this is around 120k$ US in Taiwan.. , tks to governement tax...but hopefully I will purchase it soon.

See some pictures - of bad quality as I was using a low end dig camera..and a black car, in a black shop at night is not so easy to shoot...

And the interior

More interior...

another angle...too dark...anyway if I finally buy it we can have a few pictures under Taiwan sun...

Yep, you chose the right car - superb colour combination, much classier than GT silver / grey IMO and you have the main advantage of having a car that hasn't been thrashed to death by a load of uncaring, lead footed press and demonstration drivers.

Nice photos However I notice it isn't full leather on the sand interior. Sand does look better with full leather, but if you are happy with it as it is, then it's a nice looking combination. Good luck with the negotiations!

I like it

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802223 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448203 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265785 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264524 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89842 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6282 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885044 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    831483 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM