Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Drove Boxster S a second time....

mind you w/ tiptronic. Great car, but a bit slow for a car in that class, the shifts were nice and crisp, didn't fiddle around too much w/ the tiptronic. I'm thinking that if I buy a Porshce I should go for a coupe, not a drop top, so I'm thinkin g it might be better money spent to go for a Cayman S or a 911 S? The salesman I was wworking w/ said he'd give me a buzz when the Cayman arrives, but I think I might wait as I always do until things kind of peak and drop back down to a point where more cars will be available, not a big fan of waiting lists.

Re: Drove Boxster S a second time....

I forgot to add...

COMPLETELY different car, but I drove the new 330i sprt. not long after the Boxster S drive, and I had MUCH more fun behind the wheel than I did in th Boxster, which was a complete shock to me, I didn't expect that I'd have more fun in a family car than in a sports car. Odd.

Was the 330i tip or manual?

Tiptronic would definitely dilute the driving experience. When you're driving a Porsche, you should be able to feel everything and be in total control, but the tiptronic would take some of that away.
    The two Boxsters you drove were equipped with the tiptronic if I remember correctly.
    For your next Porsche test drive, whether it's another Boxster, Cayman, or 997, get your hands on a 6-speed and find a twisty road to explore. Then, if you still don't think it's the most fun you've ever had driving a car, I'll truly be shocked.

Quote:
    M5er said: I drove the new 330i sprt. not long after the Boxster S drive, and I had MUCH more fun behind the wheel than I did in th Boxster, which was a complete shock to me, I didn't expect that I'd have more fun in a family car than in a sports car. Odd.

Some men prefer fat women.

M5er...what's your point????

By your name I assume you are an BMW fan........

I drove a 330i once...I thought it was great but wasn't compelled to go onto a forum and tell evryone about it!!!

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Quote:
    M5er said: I drove the new 330i sprt. not long after the Boxster S drive, and I had MUCH more fun behind the wheel than I did in th Boxster, which was a complete shock to me, I didn't expect that I'd have more fun in a family car than in a sports car. Odd.

Some men prefer fat women.

Yeah, built for comfort, not speed!

The 330i was an step.(BMW's tip). I think once Porsche finally offers the DSG box on the Boxster it will be a great choice even as a Porsche w/ a slushbox, quick one at that. I tried it out in the A3 and it worked brilliantly!!!

I'm glad your expereince in a 330i was underwhelming. But please don't take offense to my opinion and the fact that I had a not so enjoyable expeience beind the wheel of your car.

Driving experiences are subjective. I went to the launch of the new 3 series and had a chance to drive the 330i on a closed course; nice car, great handling, light on its feet but a little on the numb side and much more quiet than the Porsche. However, some drivers may prefer this isolated and less involved experience. Totally different experience to the boxster, which is a pure spors car. When I drove the "S" I right away knew that car was for me I don't think the tiptronic does justice to the boxster though as with the 6 speed "S" felt MUCH faster and involving than the 6 speed BMW. But, to each his own, that's why we test drive cars befoe we buy them Good luck and have fun picking out your next ride whether it's a BMW, Porsche or any other make as long as it gives you the driving experience you expect.

Oh, it was a 330i with sports package I drove.

Quote:
    M5er said:
    The 330i was an step.(BMW's tip). I think once Porsche finally offers the DSG box on the Boxster it will be a great choice even as a Porsche w/ a slushbox, quick one at that. I tried it out in the A3 and it worked brilliantly!!!

OK, now I'm shocked! I would have understood if the 330 was manual.
    Maybe you prefer BMWs in general to Porsches, and you had more fun in the 330i because it's a BMW? Maybe you didn't drive the Boxster the way it was meant to be driven, and attack some twisty back roads?
    This is the first time I've heard of someone being more impressed by a 330 than a Boxster S, so I'm just trying to think of reasons.

I don't mean to be offensive, and hope you don't think I have been. I think the 986S, not to mention the 987S is a much funner and more involving car than the E46 M3, and I'm sure a lot of people would be shocked and confused by that statement (especially if I posted it on a BMW forum).

The world would be a very boring place if everyone liked the same things.

The way I see it, there's going to be one more BMW 330i for you, and one more Boxster S for me.

thats a surprise.

I test drove friend's 330ci sprt steptronic and M3 SMG II b4. compared to my 2.7 987, there is NO MATCH.

speed wise, M3 will kick my ar$$ on the straight, but the BM's steering "feel" is a huge disappointment. better than the 330 (maybe cos of the nicer s/wheel), but still not good enough for this money.

the E46 feels heavy and slow thru the corners, my box feels (and is) lighter.

and dont get me started on the whimpy sound of the 330ci.

the boxster has got the best steering feel in any car I have driven (not a lot mind u). and I would take the boxster any day.

having said that, the E46 is a finely balanced car. dont get me wrong, and the M3 is definitely a good value performance car with four seats. but personally I still like the E36 over the E46 in terms of dynamics. E46 + E90 are just hopelessly over weight.

just please dont go for the tiptronic. get a S manual.
    just my 2 cents.

I'm use to driving a sedan, and the coupes that i have driven have always been insanely fast; 04' Turbo cab. w/ X50 pack - now that was a car I could and probably will never use in the same sentence in comparisoin to another car. That car is in a class of its' own. The Boxster steering feel eclipses that of the BM's, however as a total package the 330i was much more appealing to me, did I say the 330 was the better car? NO, I just said I enjoyed it more than I did the Boxster S, in 6spd configuration the S is almost a full second quicker than it's slush counterpart, and to boot the 330i is only .1secs behind the tip. S. A 6spd would be nice, but w/ the intended use I have for the car, which includes driving long distances on the L.A. freeways it's not a very wise choice. Like I said, hopefully Porsche will notch up the Boxsters gearbox to a DSG unit, then we can talk more about life w/ a Boxster, but for now.... still looking and waitng... It should also be known, that I am by no means coming in as some sort of troll to toot BMW's horn in a Porsche forum, I love Porsche, ever since I was a boy and always will, just getting the car that's right for me is what I find most important.

In thought and reflectoin, between BMW steering and Porsche steering isn't a rift, they're very much alike, Porsche is just a tad meatier, but like it's been said before, this is all very much subjective.

I had a 93 318is, a 95 530i and the wife had an 01 330ci until she traded it for an 03 G35. BMW makes great engines, even the V8 despite the nikasil issue. But the chasis and brakes don't compare to what Porsche offers. In fact the 330ci steering was vague compared to my other Bimmers (I was told this had been corrected). After 4 years with the 986 (99-03) I concluded that the chasis was so well balanced, the steering so precise, and the brakes so good the lack of power was the only factor separating the Boxster from the top dogs. I did not think that was true any longer after driving a 987S, the production Boxster now a total package of excellence. While the Tip may take away from some of the "involvement" it does not detract from the car's poise and stability in turns. The car's flatness in taking corners at speed certainly takes away the drama experienced in lesser cars, and perhaps takes away some of the thrill induced by fear of losing control.

Quote:
    [ after driving a 987S, the production Boxster now a total package of excellence.

well said!!

Give the Mercedes to the wife, and the BMW to the mistress.

You keep the true "Ultimate Driving Machine" (blah)

I had a 330Ci for 4 years and now I have a 330Xi AND a Boxster S. So I know the 330s quite well.
    By no mean you can compare these two cars. Sorry. I don't know what type of driver you are to have more fun in a 330...I love this car, don't get me wrong...it's a fantastic
    piece of german engineering...but as far as driving is concerned, these are just NOT comparable....

330i drives like a truck compared to a Boxster...

Maybe you should try to make a turn when you are testdriving a car

I have to say that the thing that would really put me off the new 3-series would be the fact that it's butt ugly!

Perhaps the reactions of the tip in the 987 gave a bad impression if it had settled into an 'economy' shift pattern and wasn't driven enthusiastically enough.

And what's wrong with a stick for highway driving? The 3.2 engine's flexible enough to not have to shift too much and the clutch isn't stupidly heavy. Encumbering a sports car with a tip just because you're too lazy to shift is just mad! Test drive the 3.2 with a manual box!

yeah, maybe not a truck, but nowhere close to the go-kart feeling the Boxster gives you :-)

I also agree that the Tip on Porsche is really not that good. I drove the 6 speed Boxster S in Switzerland, and when I tested the Tip in Taiwan I was kind of shocked...but anyway still went with the Tip as traffic is bad here, and reselling a manual in this country is close to impossible.

On my other car, the Alfa 156 I also have a sequential gear box, and the feeling is VERY close to a manual shift. You can really feel the direct coupling between engine and wheels. You accelerate, the response is crisp. You release the accelerator, and immediately you can feel the inertia of the engine slowing you down.
    With the tip in porsche, you really feel your right foot pedal is connected with some kind of gum, jelly, etc to the engine and wheels...
    So I can understand the bad feeling from someone switching from a Sequential gearbox to a Tiptronic one...

Now, once you factor in the noise, and road handling, then I would rather go for the Boxster. I am not an expert on BMWs, but my Alfa is also a nice sedan with very good road handling. And Boxster is hands down way better...and this is only a first feeling after a few weeks driving...

But I also hope Porsche will design a sequential gear shift like everyone else.

Maxime

I've driven many different cars and enjoyed many of them.....even though I may prefer a Porsche, given a choice....it doesn't detract from the many other "enjoyable" cars that exist today.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    yeah, maybe not a truck, but nowhere close to the go-kart feeling the Boxster gives you :-)

Driving a 3 series (other than the M3) I never even think about driving it sporty. It's a practical car, good quality, but no emotion at all...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764626 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436676 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261126 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258036 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82693 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877036 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809136 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM