Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Help with Meguiars....plse!!

TO all you hardcore concours folk out there with the luxury of massive garages and loads of time on your hands. I have a question.

My new 987 in Basalt black arrives next week and I plan to prep it myself about 20 mins after I take delivery (weather permitting). I have bought an Autoglym Lifeshine pack from the Internet and plan to seal the paint with it, but have to treat it first.

I have bought Meguiars quick clay and detailer (to prep the paint after washing it) and after drying it, I'll apply the Autoglym.

After the autoglym has sealed, I plan on skipping the Stage 1 of the Megs 3 stage system (as have already clayed) and jump to stage 2 (polish) then stage3 (carnuba wax).

In your opinion, will occasional claying negate the need for stage 1 Meguiars (cleaner) and can I use the clay followed by stage 2 then 3 (polish then wax).

To make a rather long winded question shorter, will claying do the same as using Meguiars cleaner, but with better results? I will off course be using microfibre or 100% terry cloth all the way.

AND, do you think it is ok to polish then wax after applying the Autoglym lifeshine (which by the way, you can get from eBay for Pounds10 instead of Pounds300 from the OPC)

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers,

JZ

Re: Help with Meguiars....plse!!

Check their website, it's a wealth of info. The cleaner you refer to is it a fine abrasive polish? For removing swirls etc. I believe the cleaner would be better than clay. Clay is more for removing any surface debris on the paint. That's why they suggest stages. You'll probably get a 100 different responses on this.

JZ, I'll give you my honest answer.

You're wasting a ton of time, a ton of sweat, and a ton of money on products. Your car is new, and it basically comes delivered covered in shelf-paper, so nothing has really settled on it. All of these steps you don't need to worry about until you've got 5,000-10,000 miles on her.

The clay bar removes all surface contaminants. You have none to remove. It's a sterile virgin surface.

The Meguiar's 3-stage system is for full surface rejuvination. You've got new paint. Polish? What are you polishing? Again, it's a virgin surface. There's no scratches, no oxidation, no nothing. You'll be chasing your tail.

To be honest, I know NOTHING about the Autoglym Lifeshine. I know the name "lifeshine" alone makes me nervous. You don't NEED to "seal" the paint. In fact, it's brand new paint and you want it to be able to breath and cure so that ANY residual solvent evaporate out of it. Factories do a good job of baking the solvents out, but you never know. I've never "sealed" a new paint job. And you occassionally want to strip everything off to get back to your virgin surface. Do you really need this stuff, or are you getting lost in the marketing spiel? (wax companies are in the business of getting you to use as many different products, as many possible repetitions, as they can possibly coerce you into doing. Ever wonder why Zaino has all those steps and implores you to re-apply layer after layer after layer ad-infinitum? To sell tons more of the goo!!!)

If I were you, I would take the car home and do the following. You WILL have some adhesive residue to deal with from the factory wrappings. I recommend Meguiars #7 cleaner to get that off. Don't use prep-sol unless you're using micro-fiber towels or soft cotton, as it does not have emolleants to ward off scratching. THEN.......... Just wax it dude. You'll have the same damn result as all that rubbing and rubbing and rubbing you're planning, which will just be rubbing what's already a clean pure surface ready for the protection of wax. In fact, all that rubbing you're planning just increases the likelihood of a contaminant getting into your applicator somewhere along the way and making scratches all over the place.

Exhibit A: My 997S after a wash and one coat of Meguiar's Gold Class...

Exhibit B:

And exhibit C:

hale to the BOSS... I'd listen if I were you

Enjoy her first and THEN clean her up.... isn't that the truth most of the time? lol

I just see all the time, these wax "groupies" that talk about the hundreds of dollars in products and steps and repetitions they do to their paint. And then I park next to them at a show, and walk away with the "best paint" award they thought they had in the bag.

Multiple steps are very necessary when you've got miles or exposure under your belt, no doubt. But I see too much overkill, as if it's an ego thing how many times you go back over the car. Read between the lines, and you'll be good to go. Enjoy, and congrats!!

does anybody have ANY experience of Autoglym lifeshine? SO it looks like clay (to get all delivery contaminants off the paint) then wax using stage three of the Meguiars wax. I imagine it will give a decent finish on the paintwork. Is there really no point in polishing (was lead to believe that this is what gave the shine, not the wax).

By the way fellas, do you wax the wheels as well to help keep them clean?

Cheers,

JZ

Have to say I agree - dont do it! P21S Carnuba wax, great stuff, should be all you need from the showroom.

Quote:
    JZ said:
    does anybody have ANY experience of Autoglym lifeshine? SO it looks like clay (to get all delivery contaminants off the paint)

I think part of the problem here is you are convinced that the new car will somehow have "delivery contaminants" on it when you get it. The cars are shipped from the factory with white plastic sheeting over the exposed areas. When you get your car the paint should be in the same condition it was in when it left the factory. In other words, you will have paint with no contaminants, scratches and any other damage that you will need to fix. Most of the things you have talked about using are for cars with damaged finishes. The only thing you need to put on your new car is a coat of a good quality wax. No clay, no polish and no sealers.

Phil

please dont get carried away with polishing.

dont forget the interior too!!!
    leather conditioner and cream etc. esp those w full leather option.

Jz:

There is a thread over on Rennlist "A primer on waxing for those that really, really need help"

It is an excellent thread started and contributed by OCBen. That guy knows his stuff when it comes to proper car care where Porsches are concerned. Check it out.

Gorgeous pictures Bossniner! You could wash and wax my car anytime! Love the Black/Terracotta. Haven't seen it before.

New paint takes months to cure. I would not seal it or wax it for several months. At least that has been the rule I've always used after painting my own cars, and I got the advice from pro-body shop guys. Unless Porsche has some exotic curing process, be careful.

I bought my car with 3,600 mls on the clock and clayed the car. The clay looked brand new afterwords. I when used the same clay on my BMW with 35,000 mls on it ahd the clay was almost black. I would skip the clay on a new car.

Quote:
    flap said:
    New paint takes months to cure. I would not seal it or wax it for several months. At least that has been the rule I've always used after painting my own cars, and I got the advice from pro-body shop guys. Unless Porsche has some exotic curing process, be careful.

I'm hoping to get mine this month too, so am grateful for this thread. I too was told with all my other P-cars not to wax them from new. Is that wrong advice?

Ok. Thanks for all the info so far. I'll take the advice on the sealants and polish, but I think I will clay it just to make sure all the transport gunk is off. For all the time it'll take, I think it will be worth it.

I'll just put a couple of thin layers of wax on it after that. Just to give the paint work SOME protection from dirt grit etc, especially with Autum just round the corner.

Still no word from any UK folk re: Autoglym Lifeshine. Audi BMW and Porshce have been offering it in their dealerships for some time now. It is only available in the UK. Does anybody have an opinion on this stuff??

Cheers,

JZ

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762420 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435339 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260507 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257563 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80947 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872255 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807630 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM