Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE: Installed on 997 (non-S)

PSE installed yesterday after a long long time,ordered on February.

Now not many km on but actually my opinion in neutral.

This means ,for sure, not what i ve been waiting for, BUT i will not jump into conclusions so soon, because i know what a good burn out can do to an exhaust system. So i ll be waiting a little more to form an opinion.

Price was 2,228,00 Euro with tax and installed. PSE as a part costs 1947,00 Euros.

As for the cut out mod tha RC posted, i cant do it as my car is a non-S and the hoses are not in the same position.

So if someone has installed PSE on a non-S and knows about the mod please help me.

PICS to come soon and maybe a video if you like .

Re: PSE: Installed on 997 (non-S)

Hope you will like it more once it's burned out!!
    The others seems to love it... Hope you will too after this long wait and all the 'expectations'....

Pardon my ignorance. What is "burn out?"

you know they saying for an engine is "run-in"? it's the same with the exhaust's version of "burned-out",

Quote:
    997 S Cab said:
    Pardon my ignorance. What is "burn out?"

depress PSM button, pop the clutch into first, release swiftly and punch the throtle... burn out!

kidding... Mike is right

Congrats Dillinger! ............ yes video me likey

DID the mod with Carlos help, although it was difficult to pull out the hose.

The sond is better in all revs ranger from standstill until the rev limiter.

BUT it is not what i expected. I ve done now almost 350 km with the PSE and yes, the sound has improved since i installed it.

BUT again i expected something more aggressive. The PSE sound IS the sound that Porsche should have installed as standard in a carrera with such a history. This is the sound one should get as standard and PSE should be something DIFFERENT.

After all, with the current cost of the PSE, i believe you all agree,that the sound should not only be "OK" and "good" or "very good" BUT instead it should be AMAZING. And thats just not the story here. At least so far.

I can't help thinking that either the PSE was no installed correctly (there have been a couple of cases and the exhaust sound was not as sport as should be) or that the PSE in the 997 sounds different than in the 997S, casue the difference in the 997S is huge.

Carlos, mis-installation could always be a case due to human factor.

Especially here ,where my 997, was the first Carrera, that had a PSE installed here in Greece.

They told me it came with a 21 pages installation manual.

Of, course i find it difficult ,on one hand due to the similarities on the installation process with the 996 PSE. and on the other hand because we are talking about a simple exhaust system here and not something electronically compex,i.e a software upgrade.

Yes the exhaust its louder, its different than the stoch exhaust. BUT at standdtill its almost the same .

My experience from aftermarket exhaust systems, tell me that a true sports exhaust has a different tone and sound even when the car is in standstill and idle mode.

Moreover i noticed that when the car is moving BUT you dont press the gas pedal, and you are just rolling the exhaust does not have an agrresive sound.Instead its aggressive only when you press the gas pedal.

I remember my last car had a AC SCHNITZER sport exhaust system that even when the car was rolling without stepping on the gas pedal the sound was totally aggressive.

Carlos, how many km your car has?

Have you noticed and change in the aggressiveness of the exhaust as the km pass by?

Carlos one more thing is that the PSE is the same for the 997 and 997 S . Exact part.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

Yes the exhaust its louder, its different than the stoch exhaust. BUT at standdtill its almost the same .

My experience from aftermarket exhaust systems, tell me that a true sports exhaust has a different tone and sound even when the car is in standstill and idle mode.

Moreover i noticed that when the car is moving BUT you dont press the gas pedal, and you are just rolling the exhaust does not have an agrresive sound.Instead its aggressive only when you press the gas pedal.

That is really strange - you say when letting off the gas and just rolling it doesn't have an aggressive sound only when you press the gas........ When I let off the gas back throttling the PSE pops and burbles loudly. It's probably the biggest difference from when it's not on.

Either the sound is VERY different with the non S or they didn't install properly.

Quote:
    Dilinger said:

I agree with your observations. They coincide with my PSE. Everything is relatively quiet when you are "off the gas". Depending on the amount of gas you depress and how quickly, the loudness increaes, proportionally.

Dilinger, my PSE sounded completely different from the very first day, it did not need much burning in.
    Also one of the beauties of the PSE vs other aftermarket exhuasts, is that the PSE is very throttle dependant, the more you step on the gas the louder and more aggressive it gets, yet when you are idlind or cruising at constant speeds at lower rpm, you don't have the anoying rumble and buzz the other exhausts make. Its quiet but as soon as you step on it it wakes up and starts to rumblem.
    The aftermerket exhausts are like punching a few holes in the muffler, they just get louder all the time, and not a better sportier sound, just louder, there is a difference. The PSE on the other hand is much more sophisticated, very throttle depnedant and with a different soudnd altogether that no other exhaust has been able to match, the characteristic 911 Flat-6 growl.

yes the exhaust became a little better after 400 km but i expected a sound that passed to the cabin even with closed windows...

Yeah, the loud pops and burbles when down-shifting are mean and bad! Pure Porsche luv! However, they are completely eliminated when PSE is off.

The other day, while standing at the red lights, a driver beside me complained that my car was too loud (I had the vacuum hose mod done)... I told him to [censored] off with his silly frogleg Renault and then pressed the throttle extra hard in 1st gear when the light went green. Jealous muppets!

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Yeah, the loud pops and burbles when down-shifting are mean and bad! Pure Porsche luv! However, they are completely eliminated when PSE is off.

The other day, while standing at the red lights, a driver beside me complained that my car was too loud (I had the vacuum hose mod done)... I told him to [censored] off with his silly frogleg Renault and then pressed the throttle extra hard in 1st gear when the light went green. Jealous muppets!

OOHHHH he does not want to hear that clap trap..

Did you beat him off the lights ..

throt..

Indeed I did beat him, not really a fair game against a French moped with four wheels, but more importantly I hope I upset him even more when the PSE was screaming towards the redline! Eat my shorts!

I M WITH YOU 100% !!! Let them freak out

Dillinger did you have your PSE installed with the switch hook-up and all the wiring? That could be your problem as mine was just bolted on so its open all the time (997S). Funny, I have a completly differnt experience. When my PSE was first installed it was LOUD, very nice! Then since about 2000 miles it has gotten much smoother and my serviceman stated that this is normal after the carbon builds up in the chambers. Still, it should sound louder than stock even at idle and is the best option IMHO. When I first picked up my car I said to myself (with a big smile on my face)"I hope this doesn't get any louder. Its really perfect, the sound is very "Porsche-like", not like the aftermarket ones. I live in the USA and we don't have the restrictions that Europeans have so maybe you had no choice with the installation of all the wires, etc.

Dillinger, maybe you can find a way to disconect (temporarily) the wiring right at the exhaust itself (I can see where the activator for the flap is located under my car and no wires go to it. There's one for each side). The default mode with no wires hooked up is open all the time. My dealer installed it that way and told me I could always opt for the full wiring + switch later. I just don't see a need for it where I live. Some mentioned a loss of backpressure but power on my car is the same with no difference. Just a thought?

@bluelines and Dillinger.....

Rock On

HI GUYS THANX FOR YOUR FEEDBACK

i did opt for full wiring, but did RC's modification so after i disconnected the hose PSE is working all the time (sport chrono-on-off) and without the cut-out.

Its getting louder with tie noe 600 km on it but still i expected something more aggresive and louder.

The cabin has a good seal,and the sound does not get to my ears so clearly and sporty as i expected.

Some pics now......

4 again

Why do people block out their license tag numbers when they post pictures here?

Mainly for privacy reasons, but also there have been scammers that grab your pics and trie to use them to sell the car on ebay or something. SO always best to remove any identintification on the photos.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764402 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436546 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261055 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257980 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82653 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876914 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808979 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM