Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997S order, feed back appreciated

I'm planning to order my November build 997S tomorrow. Any feedbacks will be appreciated. Thanks!

997S Carrera white
    Sea blue standard leather
    Heated seats
    Aerokit
    Sports shifter
    Sports Chrono
    Navigation
    CD changer

Re: 997S order, feed back appreciated

Sounds great! I would definitely add the thicker sports wheel and PSE( if possible). Check out the ORDER threads the past few days for more feed back.

I Geez, why am I still so envious of new orders, when I already have mine... just remembering that excitement I guess.. I second SVNSVN, the PSE is my favorite option, it still gives me chills when I accelerate or come to a stop. I have not seen the thicker wheel in person, but everyone here seems to like it, and I wish I had it because my hands are big.. Probably better if I don't see it in person.. then I'll want it. I also have standard leather, if I could order again I would go for full leather, and probably the adaptive sport seats too.. I'm happy with standard seats (they are very nice), but recently saw some adaptives, love 'em.. oh well, 4 more years is my target for my next order.. good luck, you've got some nice options there. If you can't order it with PSE, just get it retrofitted, that's what I did.. dealer gave me good price, IMHO its a must have..

Add PSE!

I would not bother with a CD changer, I don't miss it (I keep more than 10 CD's in the glove box)and the 06 models will read MP3, so you would get more on one disk that the changer anyway!

I find that CD changers are always counterproductive. The CD you're jonesing to listen to spur of the moment is ALWAYS invariably NOT loaded in the changer. So you're stuck popping it into the dash anyhow. My pedestrian Ford truck allows you to load 6 CD's right into the dash. It's the most convenient setup going, I'm surprised all automakers don't adopt it.

Damn. I've had my 997S for 10 months now and haven't used my CD changer once. I guess I should at least try it to see if the thing works.

Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    Sounds great! I would definitely add the thicker sports wheel and PSE( if possible). Check out the ORDER threads the past few days for more feed back.

That's what I'd add.

The last couple of days there's been a lot of folks ordering new cars eh ?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Damn. I've had my 997S for 10 months now and haven't used my CD changer once. I guess I should at least try it to see if the thing works.

Same exact thing here. I still don't know whether I have MP3 or not. Never tried it w/ an MP3. I'm sure I'll order the CD changer w/ my next car anyway. It's better to have it and not need it then want it and not have it. It's not that costly. If it were $2 or $3k maybe I wouldn't order it.

Quote:
    69bossnine said:
    I find that CD changers are always counterproductive. The CD you're jonesing to listen to spur of the moment is ALWAYS invariably NOT loaded in the changer. So you're stuck popping it into the dash anyhow. My pedestrian Ford truck allows you to load 6 CD's right into the dash. It's the most convenient setup going, I'm surprised all automakers don't adopt it.

I agree, and now that the in-dash can read MP3 CDR's there's really no need for a changer. You can fit hundreds of songs on one CD...

I don't understand why people order the sports shifter. Can someone explain this to me?

The stock 997 shifter is supposed to be flawless. Unless you're tracking the car and want to shave tenths off your times, why get one?

Is it possible the crummy 996 stock units got everybody started on the sports shifter option obsession/compulsion.

Anybody here compared both for more than a few seconds in the showroom?

I agree MMD. I found that the sport shifter required a bit more effort, and was less silky-smooth than stock. But it's so short-throw, it gets points for the gee-whiz novelty effect.

For normal driving, the stock shifter is absolutely intuitive. I've never had a better or easier shifting car. And for speed-shifting, I find it's still short and quick enough that I can flick my wrist and do automatic-fast shifts without issue. My clutch foot is the limiting factor, not the shifter swing. And I'm damn fast, I've won my fair share of NHRA Sportsman trophies rowing the boat.

I thought the sport shifter was "overkill", and saved the money. It ain't cheap.

But admitedly and in all fairness, this is an option that is PURELY a personal-preference thing. There's no one "right" answer.

I like stock better.

I was thinking about that the other day. My 997 is the easiest, most effective stick shift car I have ever owned.

Shifting my 996 Turbo in traffic especially on inclines was a real hassle. With the 997 you can let out the clutch in 1st and the car will roll. In my Turbo it would stall without gas. And with the 997 you can feel where the clutch bites. On my 996 it was difficult.

I have tons of confidence shifting the 997 when on the move. In my 996 I never felt 100% comfortable with high revs shifts from 2nd to 3rd (use to hit 5th) Or downshifts from 5th to 4th (always thinking I was going to hit 2nd and over rev or I'd wind up in 6th) Not a big deal w straight back gear changes (1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th and 5th to 6th) Even though gear travel is reduced with the 997 placements seem to be cake.

If you are balancing a budget then dish:

- the overpriced standard navigation (you can always use a PDA with GPS with many more fucntions, maps, updateability and transportable, or a simple PALM navigator)

- and sport shift, the stock shift is already really good, and sport shift is always a very easy and cheap retrofit later on

But you NEED to add:

- PSE (if you are not sure just try to arrange to listen to one and you will)

- Sport Seats (not the adaptive just the normal sport seats, world of differnece over stock and not expensive)

- and TMPS (no posibility of retrofit, very usefull and cheap).

IMO

I retrofitted my 997S with sport shift and PSE two months ago. The sport shift is really nice because of the shorter throws, it's makes shifting that much easier. However, once you get use to it, you don't really appreciate it as much because, well, you get use to it. Let's just say I wouldn't go back to the stock shifter. However, you can just as easily be happy with the stock shifter, as I had for the 8 months that I had it.

stranger thing.......from day one i installed short shifter,tings changed, a tone of sportiveness in the car was added with relatively low cost 540 Euro with installation.

Another stranger thing, gear shifting became 2 times,smoother ,easier and quicker....

And the most stranger of all!!! The brochure sais: Notice: With sport shifter when the car is cold the 1st gear launch is difficult.

Where the other way round to me:) Since i installed short shifter the gear changer EVEN when the car was cold became much more easy and smooth than the stock shifter.....!!!
    Especially in first gearThat way i m 100% satisfied!!

Funny how thing differ around the globe!

Oh yes, many thanks go to Carlos, do NOT forget the TPMS. Considering how expensive and important the wheels and tires are, it's a must-have option. Cost is about us$600.

When I drove a 997S w/ sport shifter for the first time, it was a little rough & seemed as if it could easily pop out of the gate and I tended to hold it in just in case. The standard shifter was smoother than any other I've ever used.

So... IMO, the sport shifter is more an option to brag about having on your sports car. If the standard shifter was an option called "Positive Shifter" or "Smooth Shifter" for $650, they'd sell more and profit more.

BTW. Has anyone seen the new optional sport console release lever? Can it be retrofitted? I hear it's gonna be standard on the 997 Turbo!

excuse me ... what is TPMS?
    Thank you very much

Tire Pressure Monitoring System... Displays and updates each tire pressure on dash. Kinda cool huh?

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Oh yes, many thanks go to Carlos, do NOT forget the TPMS. Considering how expensive and important the wheels and tires are, it's a must-have option. Cost is about us$600.

I agree, but I prefer the old school TPMS--me; sitting on my stool; tire guage in hand.

I can understand soccer moms not bothering to check tire pressures, but on a Porsche? Fine if you want it, but a must have?

"Sir, step back from the Porsche and keep your hands in plain sight, for I am the "moldy fig" Porsche police and we've come to confiscate your driving privileges"

Having read about TPMS in the MY 06 987 manual, I have to say it is a very clever system. Had it been available when I ordered (not avail on the 987 until later in this MY - don't you really hate that about Porsche?) I would definitely have specced it. It does perhaps have some gimmick factor, but it is a very useful way of keeping track of you tyre condition.

Definitley worth it in my opinion. And I don't even have it!!

Cheers,

JZ

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

I agree, but I prefer the old school TPMS--me; sitting on my stool; tire guage in hand.

You probably don't like the convenience of ATM's and direct deposit either, huh?

There's already been a few reports of people having their TPMS alerting them of a slow leak. They were able to drive home safely and discovered the nail that was causing it. To have more real-time reporting the old fashioned way, you probably have to check your tire pressure at least once a day. I think TPMS is pretty cool and wish that I could've ordered it.

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

I can understand soccer moms not bothering to check tire pressures, but on a Porsche? Fine if you want it, but a must have?

Thats like saying that you preffer the old style way of measuring your speed with a stopwatch in your hand and calcualting the distance, instead of just looking at the speedo

There is no comparison, sepcially when talking about a sportcar; the TMPS is just as exact manual method, it gives you readings in real-time so you don't have to park the car and go on your knees to take a reading, you can tell while you are driving in track or street if you have a pressure loss (the most comon cause of tire blow outs which are not a nice sight specially if you are driving sportly which is what these cars are for), it can tell you if the tires are up to operating temperatures by looking at the hot pressures (something very handy for a sportcar), it helps you maintain proper tire pressures (therefore grip and handling) by knowing the pressures every time you crank the ignition key (not when you get around to checking them every once in a while)... and all this without any drawbacks... so I can't see why you wouldn't get it if you have the choice to, given its advantages compared to the traditional system of measuring tires pressures, and considering its a non retrofitable option and only 600$, I personally highly recommend it.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

You probably don't like the convenience of ATM's and direct deposit either, huh?

There's already been a few reports of people having their TPMS alerting them of a slow leak. They were able to drive home safely and discovered the nail that was causing it. To have more real-time reporting the old fashioned way, you probably have to check your tire pressure at least once a day. I think TPMS is pretty cool and wish that I could've ordered it.

ATM? Bad analogy--funny, I've had 20 cars in the last 19 years and have not seen your slow leak problem; depending on temperature variations, you don't have to check tires weekly if that. When there's not much fluctuations, checking once a month should suffice.

And what will you do with TPMS if you want to run pressures lower than Porsche recommends, as at the track? Not to meantion, placing a lot of confidence that the system will not be trouble prone now or in the future.

Frankly, it kills me--tires have been on cars for say what, 100 plus years. And now we need computer tire pressure monitoring, to go with the pink poodle skirt option.

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    MMD said:

ATM? Bad analogy--funny, I've had 20 cars in the last 19 years and have not seen your slow leak problem; depending on temperature variations, you don't have to check tires weekly if that. When there's not much fluctuations, checking once a month should suffice.

And what will you do with TPMS if you want to run pressures lower than Porsche recommends, as at the track? Not to meantion, placing a lot of confidence that the system will not be trouble prone now or in the future.

Frankly, it kills me--tires have been on cars for say what, 100 plus years. And now we need computer tire pressure monitoring, to go with the pink poodle skirt option.

Good points. However, it's still nice to have for a warning system if you can disable the system for track use, don't you agree?

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    so I can't see why you wouldn't get it if you have the choice to, given its advantages compared to the traditional system of measuring tires pressures, and considering its a non retrofitable option and only 600$, I personally highly recommend it.

Well for one, you're assuming Porsche has now worked out all the bugs--have they? Everytime I'm at my dealer somebody in a Cayenne is complaining that their TPMS isn't working correctly.

The Porsche techs I talk to say pass on TPMS for now.

For another, are there sensors in the rims, (I don't know, but if not how's it work?). If so how's the inflator goop for flat tires going to affect them? Further, there's the moron factor everytime you buy new tires--I do worry about the tire installer damaging expensive sensors.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Good points. However, it's still nice to have for a warning system if you can disable the system for track use, don't you agree?

Can it be defeated for the track? And how's that work? That might change my opinion--if I can shut it down and it stays off (as opposed to having to defeat it everytime you start the car, like PSM) it might be OK.

Quote:
    Paul S in TX said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Can it be defeated for the track? And how's that work? That might change my opinion--if I can shut it down and it stays off (as opposed to having to defeat it everytime you start the car, like PSM) it might be OK.

For the 997, other's who now have it can chime in here because I don't know. But for the Cayenne, it's my understanding that the system had to be disabled because of too many false alarms. That's what my delaer told me. I don't know if disabled means a simple push of a button or a dealer visit, however.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM