Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

15 Hours to go...

Well, I'm picking her up at 7am tomorrow after a 10 month wait. I was the [censored] who got squashed under a Dune Buggie and didn't think I'd be able to drive it.

Looks like I'm going to make it...just.
    The arm is pretty functional now as long as I don't try to raise it past my shoulder, ribs are pretty quiet, foot is almost completely healed bar a bit of bruising. I drove my truck around today at work for the first time and though it wasn't perfect, it was managable, so I should be ok.

Arctic Silver/Ocean Blue 997s with Sport Chrono and Bose and short shift and sat nav and sport seats and the multi steering wheel thingy and ooohhhh 355bhp of fun!!!!

How on earth am I going to sleep tonight.

br d

Re: 15 Hours to go...

Just a quickie , I am biz .

Check it over well its hard but DO IT and congrats ..

Well done mate ..

Talk later ..

throt..

Just a tip. Be sure to drive around the parking lot a bit, and go in and out of reverse A BUNCH before tooling off on your merry way. So often, I see on hear where cars are delivered with ill-adjusted reverse linkage cable. It happened to me. You'll save yourself the trip if you detect it on the lot or nearby. But, odds are, you'll be fine. Enjoy!!!

Ok guys good advice, thanks. Although I'm going to be so nervous, and the dealer car park is rammed with Porsches and Ferraris, I'll probably end up doing about 2 million quids worth of damage checking out the linkage cable!

Just over 14 hours to go now......

br d

Congrats. Glad you didn't bail on it. Enjoy!

13 hrs and ticking ..

Now remember the hot bath and hot chockie to help you sleep..

No tossing and turning and clock watching..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    13 hrs and ticking ..

No tossing and turning and clock watching..

throt..

Lol! But throt, I actually *did* buy some hot chocolate!!!!!

Mate am I getting old.

br d

Hot choc , watch that waist line ..

throt..

Quote:
    br d said:

br d

Yeah this is probably the hardest thing when buying a piece of machinery!!!

Congrats on the new beast, and take it easy!!!
    alex

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:
    Quote:
    br d said:

br d

Congrats on the new beast, and take it easy!!!
    alex

Thats what my mate said to me when I first met the Mrs ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

Too late dude! 4 weeks with a broken arm and cracked ribs and I've put about a stone on. Got to get out and run some miles when I'm healed, or perhaps if I just drive aggressively that'll burn the fat!

br d

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

Too late dude! 4 weeks with a broken arm and cracked ribs and I've put about a stone on. Got to get out and run some miles when I'm healed, or perhaps if I just drive aggressively that'll burn the fat!

br d

I am still a 32" gut but it does'nt get any easier staying trim , as you get older you get that bumping effect not to mention feeling peckish every 5 minutes..

Are you going to be okay in those adaptives ? ..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

throt..

br d

I am still a 32" gut but it does'nt get any easier staying trim , as you get older you get that bumping effect not to mention feeling peckish every 5 minutes..

Are you going to be okay in those adaptives ? ..

throt..

Well I may just be able to wedge myself in. Even with my extra stone I'm only 11'5. I'm not the most physical bloke that ever lived. But just wait till those bullies who kicked sand in my face at the beach see my new Porsche!!!!!!

br d

11st 5lb , Your skinny compared to me and if your going to kick sand in there faces its a good job you got the 997 .

Looking forward to your pics .

Goodnight I am shattered , all the best tomorrow mate I can tell your excited..

Enjoy .

throt..

Just thought your spec is the same as London 997's..

Sweet .

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    13 hrs and ticking ..

Hmmmm, nothing against food, but I perfer the "hot bath with a hot chickie"..... sorry, I couldn't resist...

br d , get your arse back and post the damn pics , you got some nerve ..

throt..

COME HOME DUDE ! .

throt..

Long post warning.

Strange day. Turned up at the stealers at 6:45 this morning to see her sitting at the front of the showroom gleaming, bit of a lump in me throat. Sat down and sorted out the paperwork. Then the salesman drove her out into the car park, I jumped in the hot seat and we drove for about a mile around the local area to get used to it. Then, back at the dealers, the salesman starts running through stuff: "And if we want to activate the sat Nav we just push this button....Oh...That's not supposed to happen"
    The whole console unit was dead. He twiddled with it for a while then said he'd have to get a tech guy to take a look but it was too early for them. So I go into the concourse and start drinking tea. By this time the sales guys next punter has turned up and he's off doing his thing so I'm thinking "Fair enough, it's just a glitch, I'll give them time to sort it out".
    2 Hours later I'm still sitting there, my annoyance is turning to anger. There are at least 10 employees in the place mooching about but nobody is talking to me. I've paid in full, up front, and waited 10 months for this thing and I'm not happy. Loads of other customers picking up their cars and leaving with big grins on their faces. Just as I was considering making a scene a manager slides over and informs me the unit is no good so they are going to replace the whole thing. Half hour later the cars done and I'm away.
    Now, I know there are many worse things going on in the world than someone's new Porsche being faulty so it seems churlish to make a fuss, but it just ruined the whole experience you know?

Anyway, the car.
    Stunning! I was pretty nervous at first, I'd left the dealers in a bit of a hurry and hadn't set up the mirrors and whatnot properly so it was a bit hairy, but I found a place to stop and get my head together and after that it was a joy. I'm no expert but it feels so natural, even with my dodgy arm i just felt at one with the motor in no time. And the power even just up to 4000revs feels great!

Incidentally, asked the salesman about break in, he says under 5000 for the first 600, then away you go. I'll be more careful than that but it shows how wide the spectrum of opinion is on this subject.

I've redlined it already anyway. Because of my arm and the sports seats it's a bit sore getting in. I slid in at one point today, kind of collapsed back in the seat and didn't realise my foot was jamming the throttle down. You should have heard her scream when I started her up! That was at about 95 miles, it didn't blow up and everything seems fine.

Question: How do you get the fuel in? I went into a garage to stick Optimax in but i couldn't get the fuel flowing. it just continually blew back. I tried lot's of different angles but i just gave up in the end. Gotta sort this out cos i'm down to about a quarter of a tank.

Didn't get any photos yet. i only have a crappy old canon a30 thing and the quality is pretty ropey. I'll have to pick up a better camera at the weekend.

As i'm typing this i can look out of the window and see her sitting on the drive, it's a weird feeling, but a sweet one.

br d

Congrats!!!! Hey, my first day was spent with the car on a lift, and mumbling about bringing in a new transmission. I wound up driving home for the weekend with no reverse gear, but they figured out the following Monday it was just an adjustment.

Anyhow, FANTASTIC!!! You're right, just use COMMON SENSE, and your breakin will be a piece of cake.

I always thought it would be anti-climactic when I got mine, but it never was. I still get a charge when I see my car out the window of my office. Congrats!!!

br d sorry to hear about your upsets and I can imagine how pi**ed off you must of been specially after the 10 months and then sat there for 2 hrs , you must of felt very numb.Anyways the thing that surprises me is how can they over look these things I mean how easy is it to check everything functioning correctly.Regarding the red lining incident I would not worry and as for the fuel tank it sounds like air build up , just fill slowly and then fill again when its got 1/2 in the tank I think then it should correct after the first 2 fills.Now get out there and enjoy this fine evening its cool and cool enough to chill you out after a heavy day , tomorrow you will start enjoying it..

Take it easy mate..

throt..

Congrats Don't let one minor glitch ruin your experience. As the Bossman says, we've all had minor issues happen to us. You can look at it 2 ways, 1. you were delayed by a couple of hours and therefore it mucked up your morning or 2. they actually had the replacement part and didn't have to go to get it from Germany before you left the dealership.

Enjoy your car and forgetaboutit! As far as break in goes, ya keep it easy the first few hundred km and then gradually work it up. I'd say by the time your 2/3 of the way through the recommended mileage you'll notice a difference in the engine. I've got a little over 4000km on mine in the 2 months and after 1500km I noticed a change and then around 2300km a further loosening up. Very important to let the oil temp get to 90degrees or so before you strart to give the throttle some umph.

Spoke to my daler today and he said I should notice another change in the engine characteristic after about 7500km to 10,000km, Ie looser and a little more responsive. Anyone else find this?

Quote:
    br d said:

As i'm typing this i can look out of the window and see her sitting on the drive, it's a weird feeling, but a sweet one.

br d

Congrats from belgium...
    My car is already 4 months old and has run 10K , but I still enjoylooking at it when it's parked outside...

I'm glad br d has not replied , this means his riding his new baby ...

He must be so excited ,,,,,,,,or has the nav gone " tits up " and the due's lost ..

throt..

Nah throt I'm here. As hard as it is to resist I need to stay out of her tonight, I really ain't healed enough yet and I'm mighty sore now, but it was worth it!!
    Thanks for everyones kind words and advice. I haven't let the faffing about at the dealers spoil my enjoyment of the car, i just had the hump for a little while about it, but it's hard to stay miserable when you drive a 997! :-)

And throt, what's all this "or wait for the turbo" nonsense? Buy the bloody car man!!! You're one of the most enthusiastic posters here, get the thing on the drive and enjoy it then worry about the turbo! Ooooh if I wasn't lame I'd be knocking some sense into you my boy!

br d

LMAO mate ,,YOUR BACK great . I was thinking of you when I got up for frigging work thinking I hope its all going smoothly but hey as I said above tomorrow you will wake up thinking wow its here and through the night looking at it checking that its okay . Earlier you must of had the right bollock ache but still as the pic911 stated above at least they had the console , I was reading thinking you have'nt got it..

LOL knocking some sense in to me that reminds of the JC thread with 69 coming over to give him a good kicking ..

Enjoy tomorrow mate..

throt..

Quote:
    throt said:
    LOL knocking some sense in to me that reminds of the JC thread with 69 coming over to give him a good kicking ..

I'm also looking forward to that episode of "Top Gear".

best thread i've read in a while--

congrats br d!!

heal that arm, sweet dreams at night, and enjoy that ride...

br d,

Nice ending! Congratulations- enjoy, and be safe!

Cant wait to see it!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781251 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442663 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263400 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261737 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85863 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5936 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881497 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819135 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM