Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Octane skimping!

With 91 octane around $3 here I read that someone was just putting regular(in CA it's only 87) in their cars. Would putting an 87 in the tank adversely affect things? Has anyone done it and did you notice a difference?

Re: Octane skimping!

Great, let's expt on a $100K car over a some $3/tank delta in fuel cost Some just clearly can't afford $100K discretionary sportscars......

I believe Porsche recommends minimun 92. Trying to save $5.00 on a tank of gas filling up with 87 is dumb. It's also a 'knock' to the head that they cant afford the car.

Yeah, cancel one's health insurance, skip a few mtg and credit card pmts, etc to manage "cash flow" issues b/c of rising gas prices...but gotta show up at Koi w/a 997S....o/w you just don't look like a player in LA....

These people should just give up one Starbucks venti extra shot Cappuccino a day. That should save $4 right there.

Yes, what a rediculous idea......

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    With 91 octane around $3 here I read that someone was just putting regular(in CA it's only 87) in their cars. Would putting an 87 in the tank adversely affect things? Has anyone done it and did you notice a difference?

The onboard computer will chage the timing and the knock control should prevent serious damage from detonation, but this will result in reduced horsepower. Not really a good idea, IMHO...

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Yeah, cancel one's health insurance, skip a few mtg and credit card pmts, etc to manage "cash flow" issues b/c of rising gas prices...but gotta show up at Koi w/a 997S....o/w you just don't look like a player in LA....

ROFL!

Isn't regular gas [87] $0.26 less than 91? I haven't looked at the gas prices ever since the thing started going up... I just say F***k it... Its $50 to fill up but theres a 50k deal where I'm going .............so just drive baby!

I have put regular premium Unleaded petrol in my Porsche 997 C2S (I am in the UK so prices are a lot higher here - almost Pounds1 per litre of unleaded now) instead of unleaded ultra (which has a higher octane rating). I do not feel any differences in engine performance. The fuel cap on my 997s says that the Ultra Unleaded (higher octane) petrol is recommended but regular petrol is fine.

Recently heard that one of scams on LA's Westside late at night involves some guy purposefully running out into street to be hit by a high-end car...then, the dude and his "witnesses" try to shake down the driver of the car....want cash-on-spot for injuries, threatening lawsuit, don't want cops involved (car's driver prob has some alcohol in blood), etc etc....imagine the dismay of these scammers if they run into some cash-poor poseur driving a high-end car running on low-octane fuel....aahh, good ole LA at its best.....

Quote:
    Turbo 911 said:
    I have put regular premium Unleaded petrol in my Porsche 997 C2S (I am in the UK so prices are a lot higher here - almost Pounds1 per litre of unleaded now) instead of unleaded ultra (which has a higher octane rating). I do not feel any differences in engine performance. The fuel cap on my 997s says that the Ultra Unleaded (higher octane) petrol is recommended but regular petrol is fine.

What's the octane rating on that regular stuff?

Just so you know. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The more octane you get in your gas the more you are going to get the power that particular engine was designed to produce. Diminishing returns: using a higher octane than engine was designed for is a total waste.

IOW, an engine requiring less octane is not going to produce MORE hp if you use higher octane gas.

All that higher octane gas does is prevent knocking (pre-ignition) in higher-performance (higner compression ratio) engines.

Now for the disclaimer:

Our engines will change the ignition timing if they sense a lower octane fuel is being used.

Again, lower octane means we won't get the HP they were designed to produce.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, prolonged lower octane use in our engines will not hurt the engines. I guess this is true because I don't remember the warrenty going void if it is used on a perm basis.

Unless you want to save..., what..., $5 a month why bother? If you're at that level of economising, and you own these cars, you deserve less-than-maximum HP.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Recently heard that one of scams on LA's Westside late at night involves some guy purposefully running out into street to be hit by a high-end car...then, the dude and his "witnesses" try to shake down the driver of the car....want cash-on-spot for injuries, threatening lawsuit, don't want cops involved (car's driver prob has some alcohol in blood), etc etc....imagine the dismay of these scammers if they run into some cash-poor poseur driving a high-end car running on low-octane fuel....aahh, good ole LA at its best.....

Hey, I'm just curious if it's absolutely necessary? Not that I would. Even the well-to-do like to save a buck here and there. How do you explain Tiger Woods being a cheap b@stard tipper? It's certainly not because he can't afford it. See this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135170932&postcount=1

Having lived in Britain in the past, I still smile when I see how much it costs to fill up in the USA versus there. Its at least 50% cheaper in the USA so we have a long way to go yet before its going to really bite, especially if your running a c$100k sportscar!

Quote:
    Flashman said:
    Having lived in Britain in the past, I still smile when I see how much it costs to fill up in the USA versus there. Its at least 50% cheaper in the USA so we have a long way to go yet before its going to really bite, especially if your running a c$100k sportscar!

It's scary stuff Flashman. Whenever I see the price of fuel in the US my jaw drops. I'm paying about 95p a litre at the moment for high octane, so what's that after conversion? About $1.50 a litre? Plus our exhorbitant, never spent on roads road tax, camera's everywhere, chav's with keys just dying to scratch your car on every second corner and 17'5% VAT on the overpriced bloody motor in the first place!!!

Please let me come and live in America, I won't make any noise or laugh at your President or anything, I promise!

br d

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Quote:
    VKSF said:

Hey, I'm just curious if it's absolutely necessary? Not that I would. Even the well-to-do like to save a buck here and there. How do you explain Tiger Woods being a cheap [Email]b@stard[/Email] tipper? It's certainly not because he can't afford it. See this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135170932&postcount=1

Seriously, no offense intended It's a slow day in the mkts and this idea is one of the funniest I've heard today...love LA's many positive attributes ....and let's just say this idea of skimping on octane is soooo LA....

Lol!

At 95p per litre, that'd be $6.44 per gallon (US). I paid $2.97 or something like that yesterday, still makes me smile (sorry for you folks in the UK though).

Reverse calc would have fuel at 43p/litre in the UK restated using US costs. Crazy difference, although as I remember something like 72% of the cost per litre in the UK is direct tax from the government (VAT & Duty).

Im no expert - dont flame me if I got the calcs wrong!

Even at almost $6.50 per gallon here I wouldn't even want to consider using low octane fuel. The fuel cap says 98 octane, so I pack the best fuel I can conveniently get my hands on into the tank (e.g. Shell optimax), no questions asked. I'd rather not compromise the engine and performance. Same goes for oil. Yes, I believe in the holy manual.

While I lack the finer technical skills to reason out that approach, I can imagine what impact it would have on my own performace if I was living of Tesco value meals alone..

Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    Flashman said:

It's scary stuff Flashman. Whenever I see the price of fuel in the US my jaw drops. I'm paying about 95p a litre at the moment for high octane, so what's that after conversion? About $1.50 a litre? Plus our exhorbitant, never spent on roads road tax, camera's everywhere, chav's with keys just dying to scratch your car on every second corner and 17'5% VAT on the overpriced bloody motor in the first place!!!

Please let me come and live in America, I won't make any noise or laugh at your President or anything, I promise!

br d

You don't have to ask for permission. You can come up from Tijuana to San Diego, like everybody else.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    br d said:
    Quote:
    Flashman said:

br d

You don't have to ask for permission. You can come up from Tijuana to San Diego, like everybody else.

ROTFL!

Quote:
    VKSF said:

All the more reason to avoid LA and stay in my 'hood here in Orange County.

Quote:
    br d said:

Well, if you insisted on standing out from the crowd like that they'd have to deport you anyway, so you might as well stay where you are.

Note to Al: Only kidding again!

Octane skimping on a $90K Porsche..... Let's break it down. Let's assume people probably AVERAGE 15,000 miles per year on their 997 (at least I will). I also average right around 20 mpg, as shown on my onboard computer. Going from premium 93 octane to mid-range 89 octane would save me a dime-per-gallon, or roughy $75.00/year. Going all the way to bottom-grade 87 octane would save me $150.00/year.

Now I can understand wanting to save a buck or two, but this borders on a psychotic compulsive disorder.

Hmmm, spend $90 grand to obtain a car on the cutting edge in performance, and then blunt that performance due to retarded timing-advance in order to save $75-$150 bucks each year.......Sounds like something a Corvette owner would do.

And thats why my Skoda is so reliable ..

throt.

Just use Powerade or Gatorade, I heard that stuff works better than any high-octane fuel

From what I gather so far, I don't think it would adversely affect the car. Maybe we're trained to think that, "oh it's a sports car I have to put the pricey stuff in." OK, who's going to volunteer their car for a test? If no one, I'll just check back when premium is $4 then $5 a gallon then...??

It WILL rob you of considerable performance. It's a high-compression motor. You have to retard the ignition timing a TON to compensate for an octane drop like that, to avoid pre-detonation. And besides, if Premium gets to $5.00/gallon, then regular will still probably be $4.80/gallon. No big whoop. This is not a smart thing to be cheap about. But if you insist, may I suggest Sam's Club motor oil??

These people you say are doing this and affecting the performance of their car will probably pay MUCH more per gallon on bottled water or Starbucks than tap water or home brewed coffee - Neither of which should affect their body's performance.....

Talk about confusion

We're so spoiled in the good old USA- I can't believe so many folks snivel about the price of fuel. Those who cry the loudest are usually the so called environmentalists who don't want any new refineries built, etc.( none built in decades)- so I really have a hard time taking all the whining and hand wringing seriously.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM