Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Must have options?

Quote:
    andrea said:
    ok yes, it's true what you said, but for me spend Euro 1000 for bi-xeno it's too much

I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson that said the best thing about driving in Italy was the reassurance that they've got good hospitals.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson that said the best thing about driving in Italy was the reassurance that they've got good hospitals.

Verging on the OT, but yes, I remember that programme. Italians (apparently) don't like wearing seatbelts. Perhaps they should be on the option list too!

I use everyday the seatbealts, also to do 100mt.
    seatbealts could really save the life, bi-xeno???????I doubt...

you can see more on the side

i prefer to spend Euro 1000 for new tyres than for bi-xeno

Quote:
    andrea said:
    I use everyday the seatbealts, also to do 100mt.
    seatbealts could really save the life, bi-xeno???????I doubt...

Bi-Xenons are in a similar category to uprated brakes - they are both passive safety (help you avoid an accident) rather than active safety (helping reduce injury when you DO have an accident). The further and better you can see, the more time you have to react and stop or avoid something in your path.

And I was pulling your leg about the seatbelts. I hope we we ALL wear them. Mind you, if you didn't, you'd probably go deaf from the car's continual beeping at you!

Quote:
    andrea said:
    you can see more on the side

What, girls you mean?

ha ha ha!!!!!!nice joke!!!
    no excuse me, I wanna say that with xeno you see more on both side....
    Interesting this things about girls, it's TRUE!!!!!

Quote:
    andrea said:
    Interesting this things about girls, it's TRUE!!!!!

So, a very good reason to get the xenon's then!

I rest my case.

I don't think any options are MUST haves. I particularly highly recommend the sport steering wheel; MUCH nicer to grasp and is smaller than the Cayenne-esque standard wheel. Metallic paint is NOT a must have; get the colour you like; but black, silver, grey is easier for resale and are classic colours - yellow probably a brave choice if you plan on selling the car yourself.
    As a true sports car , luxury items like full leather, etc are just that; luxury. The interior is pretty nice and sporty to begin with - you don't have to add something to it unless you want to. Now, Bose is nice to have but the sound of a Porsche engine is sooo much nicer!! The standard sound package plus is ok - don't expect audiophile quality from Bose; it's more marketing and hype. I wouldn't buy Bose for my home audio but that's another conversation altogether!! I do believe heated seats are very important if driven at all in cold weather (have you tried sitting on leather seats in below 0 celcius weather - try -20 degrees or more in Canada!) - so heated seats ok a MUST in Canada! Sport shifter is nice to have- I found the 6spd on Boxster S I drove to have long throws for a sports car - sport shifter makes the throws feel more deliberate and "sporty!" - less rubbery so I personally ordered it. PASM not necessary in my opinion - unless you track - std suspension very nice setup unless tons of unavoidable pot holes where you drive. Ok, the bi-xenon issue. For what we pay for Porsche cars, they SHOULD be standard but they are not and the price has also gone UP for 06; go figure. It's a personal choice - good idea if a lot of night driving - if they are sooooo much better and safer then the government should make them mandatory like seatbelts and airbags but they are not... I just feel I'm being ripped off having to pay for them when they come standard on many less expensive German cars. Oh well. There you go; have fun with the process and don't overdo it on the options as you won't get the value back on resale - get the ones you feel YOU need.
    This is what I have on order for Nov delivery of
    06 Boxster S:
    Seal grey/std blk leather/blk top
    Heated Seats
    Windstop (don't think you'd need that on a Cayman!)
    Sports steering wheel
    Sports shifter

I may add: sports chrono and sports tailpipe (but these are "nice to haves" in my book.

On the subject of being ripped off - well Porsche do tell you what you get and what you don't, so we are not ripped off, but to have to pay extra for sports seats or a sports steering wheel in a sports car is a bit steep. And my Ford Focus comes with coloured wheel centres as standard. You are also absolutely right bi-xenons should be standard in any high performance car, even BMW, not known for their generous specs include bi-xenons in the M3. As does Honda with the S2000.And it is unreal that in the Boxster 2.7 you don't get a 6 speed box unless extra money is paid. Again, standard in the S2000 or even the Civic Type R come to that.

i totally agree with Louis,i'm still doubting about short-shifter. someone tells it's better, othere says the standard one is enough.
    Louis: have you ordered bi-xeno?

If ease of resale is critical to your purchase just buy something off the lot without all the dither of ordering a car based on what the next fellow wants, the dealer's done it for you. Better yet, buy a used car from the fellow who spec'ed the car based on what he knew you would want!

Lving in Japan, envious of the pricing folks in the US are seeing... Placed my order today - November build, January delivery. Went with PASM, 19", sports seats, sport wheel, short-shift, and aluminum footrest. Total pass on Bose, metallic (ordered white), chrono, etc, focused on options that relate directly to performance. Debated bi-xenon, but at this price range, what's another 1400 dollars...

great!

Quote:
    andrea said:
    i totally agree with Louis,i'm still doubting about short-shifter. someone tells it's better, othere says the standard one is enough.
    Louis: have you ordered bi-xeno?

If you can sample the sport shifter right next to the standard shifter you will feel the difference instantly......almost like the choice between Xenon lights and base. The base lights will be fine and enable you to drive at night.....but Xenons are much better.....same for the shifter, the standard is fine and will shift gears nicely.....but the sport shifter is much better.

I don't think the sport shifter is better. I find the extra effort to be a disadvantage and I don't find the throws to long on the standard shifter. For free I wouldn't take the sport shifter.

Quote:
    friedman_japan said:Went with PASM, 19", sports seats, sport wheel, short-shift, and aluminum footrest. Total pass on Bose, metallic (ordered white), chrono, etc, focused on options that relate directly to performance.

Yeah, that footrest is good for an extra 5bhp

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    I don't think the sport shifter is better. I find the extra effort to be a disadvantage and I don't find the throws to long on the standard shifter. For free I wouldn't take the sport shifter.

I've not experienced the sport shift, but the standard one is just fine. I wouldn't throw money at it either.

I decided not to spec Xenons - sure they are good, but i won't be driving too much at night and they are so expensive (to buy and replace if damaged).

PCM and Bose seem very popular options, but I can't help thinking they are both overpriced for what they deliver.

Andrea,

I did not order bi-xenons on my car. I would like to have them but don't want to pay for them!! I don't do a lot of night driving and when I do our highways in Canada are well lit!! The sport shifter is a personal thing as lowpolar and dreamcar but I did try them back to back and enjoyed the shorter throws (the throws on my current RSX Type S 6 spd are significantly shorter than on the 987S so maybe that's what I'm expecting) My rationale is that the two things you obviously use the most when driving are the steering wheel and shifter so I treated myself to the nicer steering wheel (I definitely recommend this one - try both back to back and you'll agree- pretty good price at $250 US) and the sport shifter which I liked the throws better - for me worth it. Ask the dealer to try one. Remember you can retrofit it but will cost you more... are you contemplating another option instead?
    I'm going to the dealership tommorrow to finalize my order; I'm thinking of adding the sport chrono (but I want to try it first because it has gotten some good reviews) and perhaps the sports tailpipe. Good luck and have fun with it!

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:

I've not experienced the sport shift, but the standard one is just fine. I wouldn't throw money at it either.

Well if you haven't experienced the sport shift how can you pass judgement on it? I to was not going to spend the $ on it either as I pretty much felt the same way....a shifter is shifter. Then I had the pleasure of driving a 997 with it and one without and the sport shift went immdiately to the top of my options list. I felt it was "that" good and it added so much more to the driving experience....more so than Sport Chrono.

In the end, if anyone is thinking about it.....don't trust any of us here, go test for yourself and then make a decision!

Quote:
    MikeN said:

Well if you haven't experienced the sport shift how can you pass judgement on it?

Because there is nothing wrong with the standard shift, that's how. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:

Well if you haven't experienced the sport shift how can you pass judgement on it?

Because there is nothing wrong with the standard shift, that's how. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Correct, nothing wrong with the standard shift....but the sport shift is better IMO. (that's what we offer here, opinions only.)

Just like there was nothing "wrong" with the 996 and 986.....and yet we have replacements today.....wonder why?....could they be better? An old 924 works just fine, I guess Porsche should still be making them today?

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    that's what we offer here, opinions only.

And my opinion is, as the standard shift is just fine, I wouldn't personally spend the extra dosh on an alternative. Each to his own.

Exactly - to each his own - we are free to personalize the car the way we desire, and remember, that's a good thing. Which other car manufacturer allows you the freedom to personalize your car to the level of a Porsche? Not even Ferrari. I guess there is 2 ways to look at it; 1) we are being ripped off because EVERYTHING is an option and that is going directly to Porsche's bottom line and 2) Not having all the options standard allows Porsche to keep the base price of the cars more attainable to more people. Imagine what the price would be if the Cayman came std with PCCB, PASM, carbon fibre, Xenons, etc, etc.... Hmmm, which one do most people agree with?
    So regarding the "MOST HAVES" I don't think there are any rights or wrongs - everyone's driving styles and priorities in a car will dictate what options they choose. I mean, if they were all "no-cost" options I think my car would be pretty loaded to the gills but yes, money is always a factor in the equation (for most people that is) but which select options will be most enjoyable is ultimately a personal choice.

Quote:
    Louis (Toronto) said:
    I guess there is 2 ways to look at it; 1) we are being ripped off because EVERYTHING is an option and that is going directly to Porsche's bottom line

I agree totally with your comments,but as much as I think Porsche are very mean with the standard equipment list, it would be unfair to say that we are being "ripped off" because it is clear what is standard and what isn't. You want a Porsche and you want certain items that ought to be standard (such as a 6 speed box in the Boxster 2.7) then you either pay up, go without or go elsewhere. As long as Porsche customers are prepared to pay extra for these items, and they can sell every car they can make, why should they chuck them in for free?

An underlying assumption is that the options listed in the order guide are actually available for order.

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    An underlying assumption is that the options listed in the order guide are actually available for order.

Tell me about it! On my Jan 05 built Boxster I wanted rear section of centre console painted in body colour, not available at the time, but when I asked the dealer for a retro-fit quote it was THREE times the cost of the factory fitted price. I've come to terms with living without it!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760299 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434166 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259901 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257044 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80697 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871056 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806185 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM