Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: clear bra suggestion

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    PS CA, Actually with the right installer they will be able to wrap the entire hood or entire car if you like.

I heard that some installers use bulk rolls and cut while on the car, but everyone I talked with and the installer I used seemed to prefer to use the pre-cut kits. I am not aware of any kits that cover the entire hood. It is nice to know this option is available. I wonder if it would look better to cover the entire hood that have a seam across it??

Thanks for the info about this option.

Phil

The guy I use buys rolls and cuts to spec. He can do the full hood. One guy I saw with a Challenge Stradale did the full hood AND the entire windshield. With the kits sometimes there isn't enough material to tuck the edges into and around the body panels like they want to. And they also need material to do the bottom 1/3 of the car on the doors and rocker panels like I had done on my Stradale. (which I don't think comes w/ a kit)

Having the entire hood done to eliminate the line is an interesting idea. I know it's weird but I actually like the way the line looks so I never thought of that approach.

Thanks for those pics with the 430 etc. The installer I use puts the cars on a lift when installing the 3M on the front bumper. I had a piece installed under the front bumper in case of a bottom out. When I see guys doing it like that I think of how much work it is. Especially when you get to the part of having to do the bottom of the bumper. It's funny really he puts the car up on a lift and shines floresent lights on the car like he's a surgeon performing an operation.

Quote:
    GTknight said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:
    How do you guys feel about do the entire hood instead of 3/1 of the hood?

I don't think that anyone makes a sheet of the plastic that is large enough to cover the entire hood. So you would end up with multiple seams.

Phil

PS CA, Actually with the right installer they will be able to wrap the entire hood or entire car if you like.

Hey,...I actually know those guys. Premier Mobile has also done all the clear bra on all of my cars. Though, only my 360 has the entire hood done. I totally agree that if done right, you won't be be able to see any seams. They did a custom hood and bumper on my GT3, and custom full hood on and bumper on the modena. All edges are hidden and in one piece. Can't be happier with the way it looks.

When you did the full hood on the Modena what do you do with the front fenders ? Did you keep the same fender "wings" or go further on the fender with the film ?
    tia~

Quote:
    aristal said:
    i am thinking about getting it too but i am concerned about the film becomes yellow or bubbly over time.
    and if i ever decided to remove the film, would the part that had been protected by the film discolor less (if any) than the part w/o the film?? simply put it, any side effects in the long run???

If it's done professionally you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. I've seen film that has been put on at the Ferrari factory yellow on some older cars. I don't think they were using the same type of film that gets installed today. I'm not sure which film gets installed at the Porsche factory on all 997's (on the rear quarter). I've done film on 5 cars, the last one I had it on for 3 years without any problem. I've been at my installer when he removed old film to be replaced because it wasn't done right and didn't see any discoloration of the paint. I can't vouch for what happens if it's left on for 10 years in the sun. I did hear 3M did extensive testing under U.V conditions. It's almost guaranteed you'll get more damage from not applying the film then having it done. Also 3M has a 5 year warranty.

They gave me the option of having the film go about 5 inches above the head lights or minimizing the line by having it line up with the top edge of the head lights. I chose the second option because I didn't want such a large seam across the fender. I was also told that they will be getting a new film specially made for them that is large enough to clear bra the entire front end fender area of my 360 in one piece. I guess I might go for that after track season. I'm still debating that because I plan to replace the Modena with either a CS or see if I could get my hands on the 430 spider. We'll see.

Thanks !
    I'd put your deposit down for the 430 Spider to be delivered at a future time at msrp and buy a CS now until it comes. Especially if you're a track guy.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    aristal said:
    i am thinking about getting it too but i am concerned about the film becomes yellow or bubbly over time.
    and if i ever decided to remove the film, would the part that had been protected by the film discolor less (if any) than the part w/o the film?? simply put it, any side effects in the long run???

If it's done professionally you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever. I've seen film that has been put on at the Ferrari factory yellow on some older cars. I don't think they were using the same type of film that gets installed today. I'm not sure which film gets installed at the Porsche factory on all 997's (on the rear quarter). I've done film on 5 cars, the last one I had it on for 3 years without any problem. I've been at my installer when he removed old film to be replaced because it wasn't done right and didn't see any discoloration of the paint. I can't vouch for what happens if it's left on for 10 years in the sun. I did hear 3M did extensive testing under U.V conditions. It's almost guaranteed you'll get more damage from not applying the film then having it done. Also 3M has a 5 year warranty.

I agree with Stradale, if it is done right, you shouldn't have any problems at all. Before I found the guys at Premier Mobile (from Ferrari Chat and Rennlist), my previous installer used 3M. I was one of the unfortunate ones that had yellowing issues with the 3M film. But as Stradale said, they changed the film, so it should be fine. I had it on my GT2 before I sold it for the GT3, and I'm glad I had it installed. Although the 3m film didn't look all that great, I'm glad I had it on because it helped retain the value of my GT2 when it came time to sell. (The only problem I had with the 3m film was that the orange peel texture was quite unsightly on a darker colored car like mine, and the clear coat it had on kept getting scratches and swirls.) But again, I'm glad I had it on. The film I have on now is looking much better and clearer though. And a lifetime warranty Sounds like you got a pretty good installer as well Stradale,...we're probably in the same boat because it seems so difficult to find people competent that we trust with our cars.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Thanks !
    I'd put your deposit down for the 430 Spider to be delivered at a future time at msrp and buy a CS now until it comes. Especially if you're a track guy.

Good idea,...I was considering doing that. The dealer was asking for a 100k mark up. My wife just rolled her eyes when she heard he sales guy mention the mark up price. I probably shouldn't have brought her with me.

Exactly. "competent" people is the key with this stuff. I was so lucky to find these guys a few years back when they were small. Now there's a month plus wait for any 3M install at their place. The most important thing with clear film is the install. The same material could look invisible or look like crap depending on who is doing it. On the front bumpers of my CS and my C2S cab there's no way you can see it's there unless you get on your hands and knees to find an edge. Have a look at some of these pics, check out the "Ferrari" pics, that's my Red CS being done:
    http://www.detailingdynamics.com/film.html

100k is crazy but they'll probably sell it close to that. That's the market now. In a year it will be closer to $75-60k and settle at $50k over in 2 years (delivery miles). The CS is an awesome car. In many ways more exciting then a 430. In some areas a better looking car imo too. The first time I hit 2nd gear at redline it made me laugh out loud.

Yeah...100k is crazy...but I kind of expected it...for the price they were asking, I would be approaching CGT category.

Quote:
    PS CA said:
    Quote:
    alin330 said:

I heard that some installers use bulk rolls and cut while on the car, but everyone I talked with and the installer I used seemed to prefer to use the pre-cut kits. I am not aware of any kits that cover the entire hood. It is nice to know this option is available. I wonder if it would look better to cover the entire hood that have a seam across it??

Thanks for the info about this option.

Phil

Hey Phil,..give Sam at Premier Mobile a ring. They're the ones in the pictures above. They're a great bunch of guys. sam@premiermobilegroup.com They travel all over Cali.

Quote:
    GTknight said:
    Hey Phil,..give Sam at Premier Mobile a ring. They're the ones in the pictures above. They're a great bunch of guys. sam@premiermobilegroup.com They travel all over Cali.

I already have a clear bra on my car. I just had a kit installed and it covered everything on the front, but not the entire hood. It covers about a third of the hood, but my experience has been that the bottom third is where 95% of the potential dings take place. If I had it to do over, I might just do the entire hood with one piece, so I don't have an edge to look at.

Phil

I also had the clear bra installed and now with 7500 miles, I wish I had the entire hood done. Whats not protected (Upper section of the front hood) has a half dozen chips if you look closely so although most of the "sandblasting" takes place in the lower region of the trunk and the nose of the car, I did get "hits" in the upper area too. Not a bad Idea and with Silver you barely notice it at all.

Stradale ..the entire windshield ... I always hate it how the window gets pited but I did not know you could put the #M stuff on the windshield .

Quote:
    Tom said:
    Ewi, pls kindly advise who has done this job as I consider to let my car wrap as well.

Tks beforehand.

Tom, I got it right at the factory done in the Porsche Zentrum Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen. But read my other post about it first.
    Link to old clear bra thread

Quote:
    ArthurY said:
    Quote:

I'm sorry, but what could a thin plastic film possibly due to affect the operation of a headlight????? If you can come up with a logical explanation of what damage clear film can do to the headlights, I would like to hear it.

Of course Porsche, the company, will say whatever is necessary to protect itself from liability. The question I'd ask is what potential liability could they be trying to protect themselves from by stating, more than once, not to put film on the headlights? I admit I do not know what's in Porsche's mind, and the manual, in my recollection, fails to provide a rationale. I could speculate - perhaps there's the possibility of too much heat build up if you're in a warm climate, and such heat may damage the lights. Or possibly even a thin fairly clear film impacts the light's optics, since the xenons are self-leveling lights. But these are only speculative answers. More creative engineering minds might come up with other reasons.

Essentially, my point is that while you can do whatever you want with your car, you MAY be assuming a risk not obvious or apparent, and you take the tradeoff between following Porsche's cryptic direction and a potentlally chipped lens.

Here is what EWI said on 7/31 about getting a clear bra installed in Germany:

"I got a clear bra installed at the Porsche Center in Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen. They don't do it themselves, but have someone that does it in their garage. Problem was, that since I took factory delivery, they couldn't install it before delivery. They do a custom install and don't use 3M. I got the front bumper, 1/3 hood, 1/3 front fenders, rear inner parts of all fenders, mirrors, front part of door entries sills for a little less than 700 Euro. They would also do the front lights, but that's illegal in Germany and I also think that it hinderes light emission. So I passed on that one. The install takes 4-5 hours.
    Up to now I'm not completely satisfied with the install. The film they used (I don't know the brand) had material faults and I will get the hood and one fender redone for free, but the film on the mirrors doesn't look to well either. It is a problem with the consistency of the adhesive. I would have liked to get the 3M film. I know that Porsche used 3M on the rear fenders of the 993. And that is still perfect on my 993. The 3M obviously doesn't have the material problems, the film on my 997S has. Furthermore, it stood the test of time and didn't go yellow yet."

So, maybe Porsche recommends against the clear film installation on the lights because it is something that is illegal in Germany. It isn't illegal here. If you read the manual they are very much against anything that is illegal.

Phil

Quote:
    OCEAN said:
    Stradale ..the entire windshield ... I always hate it how the window gets pited but I did not know you could put the #M stuff on the windshield .

Yeah,...I was wondering about that too. Stradale, did they use the same 3m film to cover your entire windshield?

Quote:
    GTknight said:
    Quote:
    OCEAN said:

Yeah,...I was wondering about that too. Stradale, did they use the same 3m film to cover your entire windshield?

Sorry, just saw your question now because I pasted this thread for someone else that was asking about film.
    It wasn't done on MY windshield.
    I saw this on a CS at a car show. I'm not positive if it was 3M but there's a pretty good chance it was because the car was from my area and the majority of installers use 3M. Also looked like the same exact thickness etc. as used on the hood and bumper. I have no-idea how it looks from the inside but from the outside if you're not a nut like me you wouldn't have noticed it on the winshield.

Is the 3M film the best and why? I was talking with an installer today at the germanautofest and he was a 3M guy and of course said it was the best but more difficult to install.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690002 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409472 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255852 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235082 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65591 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858217 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774348 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM