Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Modern Porsches Suck

Jim, I hope you had too many glasses of scotch when you wrote this, otherwise I would really doubt your sanity.

I drove them all(OK, maybe not the 356 or some of the first 911) and I can tell you: the 997 Carrera S is one, if not THE, best 911 I ever drove. I didn't like the 996 too much compared to my former 993 but with the 996 Turbo, my opinion changed completely. I'd also recommend to drive a 996 GT2 MkII, GT3 MkII and of course the GT3RS.

BTW: I'm 40.

I will work on the Scotch.

The 997S is great. Its performance is so good and its so competent, that it just begs to be even more direct in its feel.

The cars digital throttle,dual mass flywheel,cushy motor mounts and power steering all feel a bit video game like to me.

The doors dont close with any sound of craftsmanship either. You can tell the entire car was built to comply with EU recycling laws and that assembly craftsmanship
    ended with the 993.

I say they can do better. For a start they can at least change the pedals back to being floor hinged and put the gas filler on the drivers side.

How do EU recycling laws affect the craftsmanship of the car?

Oh, and Jim, could Porsche put a GT3 motor in the base 911, with the same MSRP, and still make a profit?

Modern Porsches don't suck IMO. They still feel very special compared to other road cars.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I say they can do better. For a start they can at least change the pedals back to being floor hinged and put the gas filler on the drivers side.

The gas filler is on the drivers side on my Boxster - it's just that you choose to have LHD over there!\

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    You can tell the entire car was built to comply with EU recycling laws and that assembly craftsmanship ended with the 993.

The "craftmanship" involved in building the older 911s was entirely used up in compensating during assembly for the out-of-tolerance parts made on worn out ancient tooling.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:I say they can do better. For a start they can at least change the pedals back to being floor hinged ......

The old 911 was developed at a time when ergonomics had not yet been invented, and the floor-hinged pedals were particularly an ergonomic disaster.

Fritz, you need to go to pedal school!

The floor hinged pedals were safer. They also cost more to do. Porsche still uses them on the Carrera GT. So far no
    review of that car has noted them as an "ergonomic disaster"

Fit and finish was better on the pre Boxster and 996 bodies. The tooling was not "worn" out. The panels were hand fitted, welded, leaded and ground smooth by hand.

If anything, the robots used today give more uniformity, but have a higher slop factor for alignment. The body parts are thinner. The safety areas inside the tub are reinforced with aluminum and boron steel and the suspension sub frames serve as part of the impact resistance design.

No one ever complained of 911 build safety, but legislation has 'Volvoized' the car for good (safer yet) and for bad, what once weighed 2200lbs now weighs 3200lbs.

Jim,

I just examined a GT3 RS at the dealer lately, the car is - save the interior - amazingly well made on the exterior. The CF rear wing or the air outlet grills in front of the front boot are so well-crafted, actually very surprising on a light-weight car.

Check out the painting on the wheels, which is very well done.

The floor-hinged pedals are dangerous in frontal collisions, I can only assume that the CGT's chassis is so extremely rigid that a movement of the pedals in case of an accident can be excluded!

I understand your critisism and I do feel the same on certain aspects, but Porsche went the hard way on the 996 to finally earn some money again - the 997 is on its way to a more well-crafted interior again. I expect the Turbo and GT3, with their LeMans-derived engine, to be very reliable on the engine and drivetrain as well - the only downside I see on the std. models so far!

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Jim,

I just examined a GT3 RS at the dealer lately, the car is - save the interior - amazingly well made on the exterior. The CF rear wing or the air outlet grills in front of the front boot are so well-crafted, actually very surprising on a light-weight car.

The floor-hinged pedals are dangerous in frontal collisions, I can only assume that the CGT's chassis is so extremely rigid that a movement of the pedals in case of an accident can be excluded!

I understand your critisism and I do feel the same on certain aspects, but Porsche went the hard way on the 996 to finally earn some money again - the 997 is on its way to a more well-crafted interior again. I expect the Turbo and GT3, with their LeMans-derived engine, to be very reliable on the engine and drivetrain as well - the only downside I see on the std. models so far!

I agree that the GT3 RS is a beautifully detailed and finished car and that 997s have much improved interior materials. Compared to the 996 they are almost from another planet.

Now let them replace or redesign the M96 motor to solve the oiling problems at high Gs so that the car can be totally
    exploited on a race track as with 911s before.

I want the 997 to be the total package again and not a compromise.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Jim,

I agree that the GT3 RS is a beautifully detailed and finished car and that 997s have much improved interior materials. Compared to the 996 they are almost from another planet.

Now let them replace or redesign the M96 motor to solve the oiling problems at high Gs so that the car can be totally
    exploited on a race track as with 911s before.

Well said, Jim. I wonder what the motors will look like for the 998? If they truly go to an 8cyl, what do you think of the odds of a dry sump Flat-8 for the non-GT models? Probably pretty slim. I hope it doesn't make the M96/97 look like the good old days in terms of quality

Porsche, as other automobile manufacturers, has responded to increasing legislative and economic pressures using technologic advances to meet safety and environmental standards. Porsche, to its credit, has managed to maintain both its financial independence and the essential character of its automobiles despite these pressures. How does that song go, something lost and something gained......???

What will the 998 engine be? Lets hope it will be visible and not buried under plastic covers. Show the mill please!

I doubt that Porsche will ever use investment cast block and heads again. Theres just too much chance for quality nightmares with such a complex design. Maybe they will outsource the block and heads to someone using Audi's patented UV laser machining technology.

I dont think that Porsche will go to a flat 8cyl motor. They will probably count on direct injection and whatever intake, cam, timing and exhaust tricks they are developing.
    I cant imagine them not having a new motor without a better oil lubrication system than the M96.

Their biggest problem is thermal efficiency. The 3.8 litre engine already has the siamesed cylinders so whatever they create new will probably have lower operating temperatures.

Porsches biggest lead is in traction and a low ratio of hp loss from the engine to the wheels. Any marginal percentage improvement they can make in that area is a big advantage to
    drivers.

If they chose to use the GT1 engine across the range for
    performance reasons, they could lower its cost substantially by milling its block and heads using Audi's UV laser machining process. Porsche in the US quotes approx 60K for a GT3 replacement engine. Usually Porsche engine markups ex factory are 150%. If you back from that number
    and deduct another 60% for the use of the labor saving audi system, the GT1 engine maybe makes business sense. Its a hope and a cure for the M96 roulette wheel motor they now use.

Beyond those generalizations I cant guess!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    What will the 998 engine be? Lets hope it will be visible and not buried under plastic covers. Show the mill please!

I doubt that Porsche will ever use investment cast block and heads again. Theres just too much chance for quality nightmares with such a complex design. Maybe they will outsource the block and heads to someone using Audi's patented UV laser machining technology.

I dont think that Porsche will go to a flat 8cyl motor. They will probably count on direct injection and whatever intake, cam, timing and exhaust tricks they are developing.
    I cant imagine them not having a new motor without a better oil lubrication system than the M96.

Their biggest problem is thermal efficiency. The 3.8 litre engine already has the siamesed cylinders so whatever they create new will probably have lower operating temperatures.

Porsches biggest lead is in traction and a low ratio of hp loss from the engine to the wheels. Any marginal percentage improvement they can make in that area is a big advantage to
    drivers.

If they chose to use the GT1 engine across the range for
    performance reasons, they could lower its cost substantially by milling its block and heads using Audi's UV laser machining process. Porsche in the US quotes approx 60K for a GT3 replacement engine. Usually Porsche engine markups ex factory are 150%. If you back from that number
    and deduct another 60% for the use of the labor saving audi system, the GT1 engine maybe makes business sense. Its a hope and a cure for the M96 roulette wheel motor they now use.

Beyond those generalizations I cant guess!

Jim, those aren't just generalizations, they are pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo.

Did you get that stuff from the same guy who sold you on "forged" cylinder heads?

Quote:
    DaveC said:
    How does that song go, something lost and something gained......???

You mean: "What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts"?

Count yourself lucky that they don't allow singing on rennteam.com!

Fritz, theres no mumbo jumbo about it. Audi is milling engine blocks perfectly in 181 only seconds.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2040916.001/audi/1.html

Read the article, you might learn something.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

If that's what it boils down for you I totally agree - hence my reference to the Gt3 and TT in terms of engine sophistication!

The honing process you mentioned is similiar to the one used on Opel's diesel engines. As far as I know this works best on these because they still use cast iron for the engine block, opposed to most gasonline engines' alloy blocks!

A flat-8 is a ridiculous though so far - let's see what we end up with. Rumours about this engine has been spread for years already!

Greetings!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Fritz, theres no mumbo jumbo about it. Audi is milling engine blocks perfectly in 181 only seconds.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2040916.001/audi/1.html

Read the article, you might learn something.

Jím, I read the article, and what I learnt was that you had mis-read it - which was coincidentally just what I had expected.

The article does not claim that Audi completely mills cylinder blocks in 181 seconds as you have understood. What it does say is that Audi has developed a process to laser-treat the bore surfaces of its cast iron diesel engine blocks after they have been conventionally machined and honed beforehand. Note the sentence: "When the UV laser pulses hit the surface of the cylinder bore, which has been pre-machined to a minimal roughness by honing .......".

This additional process, which takes 184 s for a 3 liter 6 cylinder block, is meant to improve the surface of the bores to reduce friction and oil consumption and improve durability. There is no mention of production-cost reduction, improved machining precision in terms of tolerances, as I remember you implying in an earlier post.

If you would like to give me a link to the web site promoting the use of "forged" water-cooled cylinder heads, I will happily check to see what you had misunderstood in that instance.

Read it again Fritz,,,,,,

"In comparison: Under laboratory conditions at the start of the project the researchers took around three hours to machine a cylinder block with the laser. Audi has invested EUR 4.8 million in the 4.60 metre long, 7.60 metre wide and 3.50 metre high plant, which is completely enclosed by a steel chamber. It is operated by one employee per shift, who has undertaken training in laser technology in addition to his/her basic qualification as a skilled technician. There are altogether around 250 staff employed in Györ on production of the 3.0 TDI engines. "

Now why were they talking about LASER machining engine blocks and UV Laser treatment of cylinder walls in that article???

"The cycle time for a complete engine block including handling is just 184 seconds, and the exposure time for each cylinder bore is 20 seconds"

Hola,.. got a clue now Fritz Amarosa?

The article is about BOTH the Laser machining of engine blocks and UV Light treatment of cylinder walls. Thats why Fritz o stubborn one they stated that at first it took them THREE hours to laser machine a engine block!

Cheers! You failed again, now go back and tell us how much you love investment castings.

And yes dear Fritz, Porsche has made some engines from forgings, some from castings, some blocks even from magnesium. But now, NOW, they have stooped to Bill Ruger
    cheesy technology and build them from investment castings, wich is the cheapest, worst, junkiest way to make a motor.

Wich is also why it is not raced anywhere and is also why Porsche mechanics snicker and laugh at customers behind their backs for buying a car with it! Go ask one!

Next time ask me how I really feel!

Jim, you really need to improve your reading skills.

"the grey cast iron engine block"
    "machining the SURFACE of cilinder bores"

I don't think it's even possible to machine an engine block from a lump of steel using laser.

I just read the article very briefly once yesterday and I have to agree with Fritz. As I referred to further above Opel uses a similiar technology - AFTER the regular milling process and ONLY on diesel engines due to their cast iron block!

I think Jim is right about the future of our highway system and the major government intervention. Sad but realistic.

Dude thats your own opinion - I could say something you like sucked but does that mean it sucked? Maybe yes, maybe not. Purely opinions.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409692 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255933 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235179 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858355 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774612 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM