Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Must have options?

A Cayman S will be my first new Porsche and as such I get to order the options that I would like and can afford. While considering these options using the 987 order guide, I wondered if there were any options that were considered "essential" to ensure optimal future resale and value. Likewise, any options that should be avoided ?

Re: Must have options?

I don't think you'll be be able to go wrong if you've got one of the early cars. With the 911/Boxster used buyers can be a bit fussy as there are loads about (perhaps not so with the 997/987 at the moment) whereas the Cayman is totally new so if they want one they'll take it more as it comes.

Therefore spec it as you want it, although I'm sure there are plenty of us on the board happy to critique your choices

Buy what you need and what you can afford.

imho climate control, metallic paint other than green and bose.

My must have options were.....

Xenon and BOSE.

All the rest were add ons that I picked and choosed depending on what I wanted to spend. Budget was something in the mid-$60Ks. So if the Cayman S base price was more than it is I could have "suffered" with a black on black with Xenon and Bose and still been happy.

It's a drivers car, so I say drivers options should be first choices:
    1) PASM
    2) Sport Chrono Pkg (PCM optional)
    3) Sport Steering Wheel (leather or not)
    4) Sport Shifter

The rest depends on budget.

5) Sport Seats

My definites are:
    Metallic paint
    Full Leather
    Bose
    Bi-Xenon
    Floor mats
    Sports Seats
    Sport Steering wheel
    PCM
    I am going to get the PCM (with Bose) since I have gotten used to having Nav on my M3 and use it often, and it looks better, and since the non-pcm can't play or display MP3's. I would do aftermarket but it won't ever be as integrated in looks or function and the MOST system limits your options. This is a pretty decent BOSE system compared to other stock upgrades I have heard...should sound better in the Cayman than Boxster since doesn't have to try to accomodate open air driving.

That gets me to $68,390
    I am deciding on a few others.
    Auto Climate control: this annoys me. I don't particularly like auto climate control, but feel obliged for resale (should be included in $60K+ car)
    PASM and Sport Chrono: while I would want them on a 997, not sure I want on the Cayman. I don't feel the need for the softer ride, particularly since I am going with 18" wheels (based on common opinion that they are best suited performance wise and I like the Cayman wheels).
    Self dim and rain sensor: I wish these were included, can't decide if worth $690.
    Finally, I may do the rear center console painted exterior color, depending on colors.
    If I did all of the options in question, I would be at $73,270.
    Colors: Atlas Grey or Lapis Blue, probably both with black interior. I would do black/gray two tone, but the stitching of the full leather looks much nice on the black in the areas that the two tone is gray.
    OK ,sorry that was so long, probably more for me than anyone else, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

full leather and xenons are the MUST haves, oh and don't forget sport chrono.

after that, everythign esle can be retrofitted if you change your mind.

To me
    PASM is a must have
    OK 18 wheels(less understeer and unsprung mass)
    Bi-Xeno and Leather not so important
    BOSE: i prefer to hear the music of the engine

If you are tracking it:

PASM
    Sports seats
    PCCB
    TPMS
    Sport Chrono
    Sports steering wheel.

IF its a daily driver:
    Leather
    Sports seats
    BOSE
    PCM
    19' Classics
    Climate

I don't consider Xenons to EVER be essential, nor PCM or BOSE. They are all 'nice to have'.

Your car you choose!

I am with Andrea too. I will get PASM, and everything else will be optional and depending on how much I want to spend at the end of the day. Oh I also want sports steering wheel.

Based on the responses to the couple of threads concerning options, and the fact that while not a daily driver, it will be my only vehicle, I'm going for:

PASM - The roads around Boston are abysmal
    Sports seats
    Sports steering wheel (leather)
    Sports shifter
    Xenon - because census seems to be that they are a "must"
    Staying with the standard 18's
    SS door entry guards. I've noticed with low cars that the sills get badly scuffed.

Now donning flame proof suit....

Quote:
    JZ said:
    I don't consider Xenons to EVER be essential
    Your car you choose!

Totally disagree. Bi-xenons absolutely essential for any high performance car. Unless you never use it at night, of course.

exactly, xenon are only "nice to have", we can go also without xeno, we did it for so many years...

Quote:
    FullTwist said:
    Based on the responses to the couple of threads concerning options, and the fact that while not a daily driver, it will be my only vehicle, I'm going for:

PASM - The roads around Boston are abysmal
    Sports seats
    Sports steering wheel (leather)
    Sports shifter
    Xenon - because census seems to be that they are a "must"
    Staying with the standard 18's
    SS door entry guards. I've noticed with low cars that the sills get badly scuffed.

Now donning flame proof suit....

Just try driving a 987 on 18s without PASM around the streets. See if you can get away without it. Would save quite a bit of cash, plus less electronics to go wrong. Not saying you shouldn't get PASM (I have it), but don't rule out the standard suspension because you assume it won't be acceptable.

Bi-Xenons aren't strictly necessary, but they do work so much better than standard lights that a lot of people would see it as a must have. If you drive mostly on lit streets, you're not going to get any benefit. If you drive on unlit roads, then no question, get them. It's not just the strength and range of the light, it's the whiteness of the illumination that makes it much much easier to see things.

I think Pols has posted on the Boxster board about swapping out the standard bulbs with better items, which might provide a cheaper compromise between the two.

But in the end, it's your car to have the pleasure of speccing. Perhaps we are all jealous that that pleasure is now gone for us! Enjoy the process!

Quote:
    mark34 said:
    My definites are:
    Metallic paint
    Full Leather
    Bose
    Bi-Xenon
    Floor mats
    Sports Seats
    Sport Steering wheel
    PCM

Auto Climate control: this annoys me. I don't particularly like auto climate control, but feel obliged for resale

How many people are getting the Climate control for resale? I really don't believe this will be an issue! The standard air-con works fine. Anyone that walks away from your car because they can't set the temperature to the precise degree should go and buy a MB instead. I blame the dealers.

As has been said before, get the seats that are most comfortable for you. In my case it wasn't the sports (shoulders hunched), so I went for electrics for extra lumber support, plus memory control of mirrors and easy on-the-move adjustment of the seat.

PCM I think will be left looking dated in a few years by advances of hand-held nav systems. And many people have commented that it doesn't work as well as they expected it to. Lot of money.

Full leather and sports wheel definitely. Ideally the wheel should be in smooth leather. Perhaps Look to do something with the rear centre console to avoid it being standard plastic finish - if you're getting the full leather, then it's the one area that lets the side down a little.

Just my 2p worth.

Quote:
    andrea said:
    exactly, xenon are only "nice to have", we can go also without xeno, we did it for so many years...

Sorry, a high performance car needs maximum visibility for SAFETY. For maximum visibility when night driving you therefore need the bi-xenons. Anything that enhances safety is a must have. This is the one aspect you cannot compromise on.

ok yes, it's true what you said, but for me spend Euro 1000 for bi-xeno it's too much

Interesting comments about the bi-xenons. I rarely drive my car at night so it doesn't seem like it's worth the high price to me. If they were <$300, I'd buy them just for how they look during the day!

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Interesting comments about the bi-xenons. I rarely drive my car at night so it doesn't seem like it's worth the high price to me. If they were <$300, I'd buy them just for how they look during the day!

But you can't see them when you're driving! You're not the sort of guy who drives around with his fog lights on because it looks 'cool' are you?

Yesterday we had a category one hurricane and I drove home with the fog lights on. I think it was the second time I turned them on in the 19 months I've owned the car. As far as not being able to see the xenons while you're driving, that goes for the wheels, the painted roll bar, the chrome exhaust tip, the aerokit, the red calipers, etc., etc.

Quote:
    LowPolarMoment said:
    Yesterday we had a category one hurricane and I drove home with the fog lights on.

Were the headlights alone not sufficient for you to see where you were going and be seen by other drivers then?

Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine over here - people with their fog lights on when it's NOT FOGGY!

I admit though that I have no idea what a category one hurricane is like to drive in. Is category one the best kind? Or did it get top marks in all it's hurricane exams?

As for the other options... I think you just answered my original question.

"Must have options" seems to contain an oxymoron in there somewhere. While I find the discussions regarding the utility of PASM, sport chrono, and PCM useful, comments on esthetic choices are at best pointless and at worst hostile.

OK, I'll try not to be so hostile about pointless aEsthetic choices.

Honestly, I don't care about people's bodykit obsessions. You must have got me mixed up with Dreamcar.

I'm just here to help people enforce the law.

UK Highway code states:

Quote:
    201: You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 211).

And it's Friday, so lighten up guys!

PS. Sorry about all that. My special brain-care medication has yet to kick in.

(Apologies in advance to all you out there with real psychological disorders who might be offended by the above.)

Bose, Sports Steering Wheel!!

Now, if you replace the foglights with suplemental driving lights then there is no reason to not use them. Extra illumination is just that. The more the merrier!! If you're talking about Bi-Xenons as a saftey measure with more light, you should use all the light available to you. The U.S. is the land of the non day-time running light and IMHO having your lights on during the day (for or normal) is a saftey thing too.

My comment was not directed at any specific person, rather a general observation. There is no shortage of those who feel qualified to pass judgment on how others decide to spend their money. Naturally there are two sides to every coin. People who seek approval/validation for their taste should be prepared to have it questioned, hopefully with civility. Some topics better lend themselves to a measure of objectivity that we can all learn from. Fin.

Quote:
    Mithras said:
    Now, if you replace the foglights with suplemental driving lights then there is no reason to not use them. Extra illumination is just that. The more the merrier!! If you're talking about Bi-Xenons as a saftey measure with more light, you should use all the light available to you. The U.S. is the land of the non day-time running light and IMHO having your lights on during the day (for or normal) is a saftey thing too.

Yeah, but your fog lights (front and back) are brighter than your normal dipped driving lights. Having these lights on in normal visibility can make it more difficult for people to notice your brake and turn signals. Plus if you're driving right behind someone with your front fogs on, it's a little like driving behind them with your lights on full-beam.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762285 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435273 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260467 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257519 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80938 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5321 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872170 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807549 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM